5kaven5lave

25 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Yep.. generally like that with all our stuff. Not a lot of "multiple units wholly within" and more targeted stuff to one particular unit wholly within. 6 Jezzails are what I would use to kill support stuff or whittle at bigger monsters but never get buffs aside from a spark if they're in range. 9 of them are what can get buffed and one shot things, but again big Acolyte or Fiend units are better for this.

I was just making a cheeky reference to Plague Monks. Generally if you want a melee option nowadays you go with 40+ Monks as Stormvermin are overcosted, especially outside of bringing some Verminous units to buff them.

Ah yeah. I have 40 plague monks and boy are they gross in combat. I also have 40 Stormvermin and they're really good too, just too expensive.

What do the stormfiend heavy lists look like? A low-ish model count army with jezzails, acolytes, and stormfiends could be entertaining.

So, it os time for the great Verminking to tell the tale, of how I got the seventh place.

I all started with me taking part with my so called favorite verminus, real skaveny fluff list:

Allegiance: Skaventide - Mortal Realm: Chamon
LEADERS
Skaa bloodtail, right claw of clan Mors (100)
Clawlord
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait : Verminous Valour
Grey seer sniketrikk (220)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell - Lore of Ruin : Death Frenzy
Skreek the destroyer (280)
Verminlord Warbringer
- General
- Command Trait : Brutal Fury - Artefact : Rune Blade
Skallog the mad (100)
Warlock Bombardier
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!
UNITS
The black furred gnawers of the deep warrens (200)
40 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
****** backstabbering backstabbers (200)
40 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The red guard (450)
40 x Stormvermin - Halberd & Shield
The man-thing flayers (260)
3 x Stormfiends
The Squig-burner (70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower
The dwarf-thing menace (70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower

1doom bell(40)

total:1990p

(model count exactly 130)

First game, The vermintide vs. flesh eater courts (griselgore style)

my opponents list:

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Grand Court: Gristlegore LEADERS
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- General
- Command Trait: Savage Strike
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard
- Lore of Madness: Miasmal Shroud - Mount Trait: Razor-clawed Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)
UNITS
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100) 10 x Crypt Ghouls (100) 10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
BATTALIONS
Ghoul Patrol (180)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

The battleplan we were using was starstrike

So having been given the first turn, I basically moved my units up.

and well ended with having a frontline of meathsields protecting my backline of stormvermins, and stormfiends. 

my opponent was able to cast a few spell and so he had his terrorggheist buffed with a extra attack and It could run and charge, he the. Successfully summoned the chalice. Later he moved his terrorgheist and zombie dragon up the board and charged my unit of clanrats in the middle killing them of with their 4pile ins. His unit of summoned flayer on the other hand were able to snipe out my warlock bombardier with their screams and later charged my stormfiends, but were only able to deal 1-2wounds on them and well were almost kill-slain by my man-things flayers instead.

as luck would have it I got the next turn.

so my second turn basically started eith casting death frenzy onto my stormvermins.

I then summoned the doom bell onto the battlefield and dispelled the so very hated chalice.

I moved my stormvermins up the board towards my frenemy’s fearsome monstrous creature.

My verminlord on the other hand was able to move himself up and charged one of his arch regents and a unit of ghouls, which both died to his brutal fury attacks.

My stormvermins on the other hand charged his terrrorgheist and zombiedragon, kill-slaying the dragon with a thousand halberds  slowly carving it’s inner rotten flesh out.

The terrorgheist was able to live the first few carving and remained with two wounds alive, but basically died after having killed 20deathfrenzied stormvermins.

having lost his two main monsters, and one of his arch regents, my opponent surrendered, 

Victory to clan mors!!!

The other two battle-reports will be coming soon.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Ah yeah. I have 40 plague monks and boy are they gross in combat. I also have 40 Stormvermin and they're really good too, just too expensive.

What do the stormfiend heavy lists look like? A low-ish model count army with jezzails, acolytes, and stormfiends could be entertaining.

I would prefer Vermin (much less dice to roll too...) but yeah, the expense isn't worth it.

And that differs. Some people have ran pure Skryre (see Ben Savva's list recently played at the London GT) and some, like myself, run standard mixed lists. All of them run 9 Fiends, some take the Soulscream Bridge and some don't. My current list looks like this:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
9 x Stormfiends (780)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Vermintide (40)
Soulscream Bridge (80)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 177

I switch it up occasionally, but the core typically remains the same. I have screens, reasonable magic (Vermintide\Palisade for blocking units) for buffing the Fiends (MMMWP) and the Monks (Death Frenzy). Works quite well.

7 hours ago, frostfire said:

How do you distribute the attacks of your stormfiends? I always consider the windlaucher as the hero killer because it is -3, but it seems better against big units because it gets +1 to hit attacking 10+ models.

Assuming a fully buffed unit with 3 Ratling Cannons (Spark + MMMWP + Vigordust) is putting out the average 30 shots or so, you're getting ~30 damage vs a 4+. Windlaunchers are getting ~12-13 damage (12 with the standard 3+ to hit or 13 with +1 from 10+ models) but that goes to ~10 against a 4+ if Look out, sir comes into play (knocking it back to a 4+ to hit). Note that for the Windlaunchers I didn't count the +1 damage from the Spark, so it's actually higher.

Now, I just used mathhammer because I'm horrible at math, but it does the job at finding base level averages. I find that early game usually has the Windlaunchers sniping heroes.. this is especially important if it's a summoning army like Seraphon, Slaanesh, etc. Once things get close, you can honestly throw those Ratlings into literally anything that needs to die. Typically that's a hammer\anvil unit. Remember you roll the number of attacks first on the 9d6 before choosing how many go where, so you can split your shots accordingly if you math out the averages in order to take out multiple units.

Edited by Gwendar

9 Stormfiends against 4+ amour. Spark is always included. "Normal result" is what you can expect 7 out of 10 rolls. (95% confidence intervals tend to be so wide that you can't gauge it properly in game.) 4++ means that you can re-roll.

Launchers:

4+/4+            5-7   (.7 per shot)

4++/4++       13-17   (1.7 per shot)

3++/4++       16-20  ( 2 per shot)

Ratling:           27 shots                                   36 shots

4+/3+           12      (.44 per shot)                    16 (.44 per shot)

4++/3++       24     (.9 per shot)                       32 (.9 per shot)

3++/3++       28.4   (1.1 per shot)                   38 (1.1 per shot)

When splitting shots there is no answer to be found in math, but as a risk averse player myself I'd advise not to be too greedy and prioritize. What do you really need to kill? What happens if you don't kill it?

Edited by Ineffectual Clawlord
  • Like 1

I love Jezzails. They do reliable damage with a 36'' threat range. However it is not a whole lot of damage. Unlike Stormfiends where an entire build revolves around them (the Skryre 1drop list from the London GT is essentially 9 Fiends + tax/necessary support), Jezzails don't have the output to win a game by themselves. It is best to consider them a support unit that eliminates certain threats so your other win conditions become more likely.

9 Jezzails against 4+ armour, with spark:

4++/3+    4.5 MW + 7.5 W = 12

The problem is look out sir,

5++/3+    5 MW + 4.2 W = 9.2

There are two options to decrease the negative effects:

MMMWP 5++/3++   5 MW + 5 W =10

Vigordust 4++/3+   4.5 MW + 7.5 W = 12

For 100 points against 4+ armour  they average 2.9 damage (base + spark) or 3.4 with MMMWP.  In other words, they aren't efficient because range costs a lot in AoS.

Jezzails are natural best buddies with our short range shooters like Acolytes or Ratling Guns. Both are amazingly points efficient if you take the buffs into account (Acolytes: 11.7 dam per 100 points, Ratling with MMMWP: 20.7).

MMMWP + spark more than triples the damage of acolytes and overlaps nicely with buffing the Jezzails first turn before keeping it ready for the acolytes.

If you don't like the unreliability of Ratlings or don't want to convert Acolytes, you can always run 80 Monks like everybody else. Please practice rolling dice efficiently beforehand though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I posted this in the clan Skryre thread but it's a dead one.

I'm looking at starting up a skaven army and I'm 90% sure I want clan Skryre. Their playstyle is fun and completely different than what I'm used to. I play Ironjawz and FEC.

I want a 2k army with some variation. The capability to play with options from game to game is a must. Would like to be able to have 2 different playstyles.

I don't need a super competitive list. I'm part of a FLGS and it's generally pretty chill. I play against LoN, Blades, IDK, SCE mostly. I want something that's awesome. Stormfiends are some of my favorite models. The doomwheel looks fun as hell and the theatrical element of long range artillery just laying waste to front lines sounds like loads of fun.

My problem is I don't know where to start really. There are no SC options for Skryre and the Carrion empire prices are absolutely absurd. Why would I pay that price when I could get all the individual units for cheaper... Anyway,any advice would be great, thanks!

@Ineffectual Clawlord Appreciate the actual math 😉 I agree; really think people should see Jezzails as support killers rather than 1-shot kings of battleline. There was a brief showing early on of Acolytes doing incredible, but it's mostly fallen out for Monks and Fiends.. curious to see if we return to that and I might take up that list again one day.

2 hours ago, Chase said:

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I posted this in the clan Skryre thread but it's a dead one.

I'm looking at starting up a skaven army and I'm 90% sure I want clan Skryre. Their playstyle is fun and completely different than what I'm used to. I play Ironjawz and FEC.

I want a 2k army with some variation. The capability to play with options from game to game is a must. Would like to be able to have 2 different playstyles.

I don't need a super competitive list. I'm part of a FLGS and it's generally pretty chill. I play against LoN, Blades, IDK, SCE mostly. I want something that's awesome. Stormfiends are some of my favorite models. The doomwheel looks fun as hell and the theatrical element of long range artillery just laying waste to front lines sounds like loads of fun.

My problem is I don't know where to start really. There are no SC options for Skryre and the Carrion empire prices are absolutely absurd. Why would I pay that price when I could get all the individual units for cheaper... Anyway,any advice would be great, thanks!

You're in the right place.. I think we'd rather keep discussion under the same thread unlike CoS which really needed to be split. Anyway, if you want pure Skryre your only battleline is Fiends and Acolytes; do not buy Acolytes unless you have expendable income and like the sculpts. They're super easy to convert otherwise. That's... kind of it really. If you aren't playing competitively then I won't sit here and recommend 9 Stormfiends lists of pure shooting. 

You can have 1 Masterclan general, like a Grey Seer/Bell/Thanquol or the Warpgnaw, Skreech, or Warpseer Verminlords. If you have any other unit not Skryre, you will need to have 3x20 Clanrats minimum to fill battleline. You sound like you largely have it figured out and it's down to what models you like since you aren't concerned with competitiveness. So yeah, you're pretty much just looking at buying things individually. 

You have some variation but I think your playstyles largely gonna be about the same, can't really deviate too much from heavy shooting since that's what it does best. You can build your Stormfiends to be melee heavy (Warpfire, Grinderfist, Doomflayer/Shock Gauntlet) or shooting heavy (Windlauncher, Ratlings, Doomflayer/Shock Gauntlets) which is what we run competitively. Acolytes are 5 man screens, but they're best used in 1 big block of 20-30 for damage. Doomwheels can be great assassin's if you roll well in movement, Warp-Lightning Cannons are great but overshadowed by Jezzails, which are again generally taken competitively in units of 6-9. You could run Warpfire and Ratling teams as well if you'd like, but those haven't been too popular lately; again that's up to you and what you like.

22 hours ago, frostfire said:

How do you distribute the attacks of your stormfiends? I always consider the windlaucher as the hero killer because it is -3, but it seems better against big units because it gets +1 to hit attacking 10+ models.

It’s probably one of the best tools for hero-sniping, especially when they hide behind some terrain or are just anyways unseen.

and in desperate times they will do some great damage against horde units as well.

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@Ineffectual Clawlord Appreciate the actual math 😉 I agree; really think people should see Jezzails as support killers rather than 1-shot kings of battleline. There was a brief showing early on of Acolytes doing incredible, but it's mostly fallen out for Monks and Fiends.. curious to see if we return to that and I might take up that list again one day.

You're in the right place.. I think we'd rather keep discussion under the same thread unlike CoS which really needed to be split. Anyway, if you want pure Skryre your only battleline is Fiends and Acolytes; do not buy Acolytes unless you have expendable income and like the sculpts. They're super easy to convert otherwise. That's... kind of it really. If you aren't playing competitively then I won't sit here and recommend 9 Stormfiends lists of pure shooting. 

You can have 1 Masterclan general, like a Grey Seer/Bell/Thanquol or the Warpgnaw, Skreech, or Warpseer Verminlords. If you have any other unit not Skryre, you will need to have 3x20 Clanrats minimum to fill battleline. You sound like you largely have it figured out and it's down to what models you like since you aren't concerned with competitiveness. So yeah, you're pretty much just looking at buying things individually. 

You have some variation but I think your playstyles largely gonna be about the same, can't really deviate too much from heavy shooting since that's what it does best. You can build your Stormfiends to be melee heavy (Warpfire, Grinderfist, Doomflayer/Shock Gauntlet) or shooting heavy (Windlauncher, Ratlings, Doomflayer/Shock Gauntlets) which is what we run competitively. Acolytes are 5 man screens, but they're best used in 1 big block of 20-30 for damage. Doomwheels can be great assassin's if you roll well in movement, Warp-Lightning Cannons are great but overshadowed by Jezzails, which are again generally taken competitively in units of 6-9. You could run Warpfire and Ratling teams as well if you'd like, but those haven't been too popular lately; again that's up to you and what you like.

Thanks for taking the time to reply so thoughtfully. I guess when I comes down to it. I don't really care if I run a Skryre army or Skaventide. (Ironjawz and FEC make this stuff so simple 😂).

What I do want is an army that is mostly made of Skryre units. I do like the idea of having a badass general like a Verminlord (I would probably use the warpgnaw and use a Verminlord "counts as" because the models are amazing) or Thanquol.

I really don't like the idea of having mobs of clan rats. I'd much rather have an elite heavy army with a blob of 20 -30 acolytes maybe being screened by 20 stormvermin (plague monks maybe?). That sounds much more exciting. Oh and 9 stormfiends sounds like a blast.... (see what I did there 😅). What I want to avoid is over investing and finding out it doesn't work well. I'm actually good with a competitive army, we are semi-competitive and on occasion have tournaments but we're not near as competitive as a lot of other LGS.

Do you have maybe a couple of army examples I can look at? One thats Skryre, semi-competitive, and will choose exciting models and themes over pure efficiency. And maybe a second army that ticks that same boxes but only has a few of the same Skryre units like stormfiends, and doomwheel. Preferably both having the same general, if not the general is at least in as a hero.

Thanks a whole lot for your help bro. I appreciate your time.

11 minutes ago, Chase said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply so thoughtfully. I guess when I comes down to it. I don't really care if I run a Skryre army or Skaventide. (Ironjawz and FEC make this stuff so simple 😂).

What I do want is an army that is mostly made of Skryre units. I do like the idea of having a badass general like a Verminlord (I would probably use the warpgnaw and use a Verminlord "counts as" because the models are amazing) or Thanquol.

I really don't like the idea of having mobs of clan rats. I'd much rather have an elite heavy army with a blob of 20 -30 acolytes maybe being screened by 20 stormvermin (plague monks maybe?). That sounds much more exciting. Oh and 9 stormfiends sounds like a blast.... (see what I did there 😅). What I want to avoid is over investing and finding out it doesn't work well. I'm actually good with a competitive army, we are semi-competitive and on occasion have tournaments but we're not near as competitive as a lot of other LGS.

Do you have maybe a couple of army examples I can look at? One thats Skryre, semi-competitive, and will choose exciting models and themes over pure efficiency. And maybe a second army that ticks that same boxes but only has a few of the same Skryre units like stormfiends, and doomwheel. Preferably both having the same general, if not the general is at least in as a hero.

Thanks a whole lot for your help bro. I appreciate your time.

Well then my friend let me tell you this much.

Going full out skryre will have their risk, since no screen will literally mean the death of your army in one lucky or unlucky (in our case), swung.

what most people intend to use to well ignore that weakness is basically to take the min. Required battle-line of 60 clanrats, which not only guarantees you are protective screen for a single round but also gives you the possibility to field stuff that wouldn’t be possible in a full out skryre army.

if you dislike the fielding 40-60 clanrats, you can always take 20-30Stormvermins instead, although keep in mind that stormvermins are a very expensive units and you can’t really hope that they’ll be doing more damage than clanrats in their low model count.

plague monks aren’t a option for you as they are only a battleline option in a fully fledged out pestilence army, taking them would mean that you would have to take the min. Required battleline tax of 20-30stormvermins or 40-60clanrats.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well then my friend let me tell you this much.

Going full out skryre will have their risk, since no screen will literally mean the death of your army in one lucky or unlucky (in our case), swung.

what most people intend to use to well ignore that weakness is basically to take the min. Required battle-line of 60 clanrats, which not only guarantees you are protective screen for a single round but also gives you the possibility to field stuff that wouldn’t be possible in a full out skryre army.

if you dislike the fielding 40-60 clanrats, you can always take 20-30Stormvermins instead, although keep in mind that stormvermins are a very expensive units and you can’t really hope that they’ll be doing more damage than clanrats in their low model count.

plague monks aren’t a option for you as they are only a battleline option in a fully fledged out pestilence army, taking them would mean that you would have to take the min. Required battleline tax of 20-30stormvermins or 40-60clanrats.

That helps a lot. Thanks for that. Without ever play as or against a real skaven army. Would be super disappointing to see my awesome new acolytes and stormfiends get wasted turn 1 on the regular. Especially against x3 bloodthurster khorne, and IDK.

So if I do go for the min battleline of 60 clan rats. What's the rest of the composition look like? Toying around I like the idea of 9 fiends and 6 jezzails but damn they're expensive. No room for any powerful heros and cool fluff like doomwheel and warp Lightning. Any suggestions?

Ok so basically what I think I want is Thanquol (he is one of my favorite models in all of AOS) or a Verminlord. 6-9 stormfiends and 2 doomwheels. Thematically that makes me happy as we do a lot of narrative play. How do I build everything else to be as competitive  as possible with those options.

3 minutes ago, Chase said:

Ok so basically what I think I want is Thanquol (he is one of my favorite models in all of AOS) or a Verminlord. 6-9 stormfiends and 2 doomwheels. Thematically that makes me happy as we do a lot of narrative play. How do I build everything else to be as competitive  as possible with those options.

A friend of mine used this list on the last tournament I participated as well and got 7th place.

He on the other hand was able to defeat the 3keeper list and got first place.

Allegiance: Skaventide Mortal Realm: -
LEADERS
Thanquol on Boneripper (400) Warlock Bombardier (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More- more-more Warp Power!
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
UNITS
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1 x Icon of Pestilence
- 1 x Contagion Banner
- 1 x Doom Gongs
- 1 x Bale Chimes
12 x Warplock Jezzails (560)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

although there are no stormfiends or doomwheels in it at all.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Chase said:

@Skreech Verminking that list looks bonkers. That's so many rats though. 100+

Hah, 115 models isn’t really that much (I usually use 120++ models) and you really don’t have to use so many model.

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

How are people finding Stormfiend spam, anyway?

Any meta trends you see making them worse?

The stormfiend spam hasn’t really started in my area. I’ts probably more of a jezzails spam, reason my friend gave me was that a unit of 9stormfiend is rather hard to control.

so ueha I can see the stormfiend spam to succeed in the future, although warplock jezzail spam seems to be the meta right now

What do you think about this? 

Also it would be a straight trade for Thanquol. If that would work better. I just really don't know how any of them play.ive made the mistake with other armies in the past and have been disappointed with my purchase

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
6 x Stormfiends (520)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Units
1 x Warp-Grinder (80)

War Machines
Doomwheel (160)
Doomwheel (160)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 118

Edited by Chase

1 hour ago, Chase said:

What do you think about this? 

Also it would be a straight trade for Thanquol. If that would work better. I just really don't know how any of them play.ive made the mistake with other armies in the past and have been disappointed with my purchase

Leaders
- General
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
6 x Stormfiends (520)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Units
1 x Warp-Grinder (80)

War Machines
Doomwheel (160)
Doomwheel (160)

Wounds: 118

Well in total there isn’t really much you can do wrong.

sure loosing will be a factor but playing the skaven gives you a huge amount of units to choose from.

If I were You I would just go for the units you like the best.

ps: also a real and true soaven player always overcharges his weapons.

A warlock bombardier that didn’t die in a glorious green explosion from a malfunction of his rocketlauncher, clearly did something wrong.

and remember every single battle lost or won, is a victory for you.

loosing you’re army of traitors was all cunningly planned.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Haha 1

@Chase I played both FeC and IJ previously, so I know what you mean. I would advise getting into CoS cause then you'll really be lost with choice. I would say take a look at some of my previous lists, but they're built competitively so yeah, if your meta is at least semi-competitive then they should work fine. 9 Shooting Fiends used effectively will likely not go over well with your crowd based on what I'm hearing.

Just remember the rule of "if everything but a Masterclan general isn't 100% of a given faction then you have to include 3x20 Clanrats minimum" and you should be good to do whatever. I think your proposed list hits on the mark for a semi-competitive list. As @Skreech Verminking pointed out though you don't have screens so many armies will have an easy time dealing with you if they're even semi-aggressive.

Anyway, I guess if I had to make a less\semi comp Skryre heavy list with some variety, I would try this:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)
6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)

War Machines
Doomwheel (160)

Wounds: 146

Gives you shooting, the fun Skryre toys and all that. 60 Clanrats just for some bodies and you aren't inundated with the level of vermin that Skreech tends to take in his lists😉. Oh, and you can take Verminous Valour and Suspicious Stone on the Warpseer to make your friends waste their time attempting to kill the Warpseer; that's always funny.

6 hours ago, Obeisance said:

How are people finding Stormfiend spam, anyway?

Any meta trends you see making them worse?

If you've seen any games at the big tournaments against Tzeentch (Changehost with endless spell spam in particular) that tends to do be the death of them. You can easily block the unit by spamming endless spells in front of them to block their path. If you take a Soulscream Bridge you can potentially mitigate this, but any decent player will pre-measure to ensure their Wizards are out of range anyway and then they'll just put more spells right there to seal you in again. IE; the trick is typically to not fight them unless you have something that can absolutely decimate their shooting potential quickly\keep them tied up. Remember it takes 27 wounds before their shooting potential gets affected. There is however a rumor going around of potential Endless Spell changes preventing the absurd blocking potential they have.

I would say to look out for Hallowheart, but they don't have mobility or endless spell spam capability like Tzeentch do so I don't think it'll be troublesome... hard hitting T1 charging\shooting units will be however (Tempest Eye, Living City, Orruks, etc) if you aren't screening those Fiends or keeping them from getting shot. I think it'll die out soon enough, it's had mixed results at big tournaments, but overall still pretty great for the time being. At some point I will likely give my Jezzail\Acolyte lists a go again... maybe still try to squeeze in 40 Monks while I'm at it.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Thanks 1

Leaders
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- General
- Trait: Deranged Inventor
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

Total: 1300 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

This would be a solid starting block that can still develop into all different directions and can support a lot of the whackier Skryre choices. Whacky meaning that they have random values for attack or movement (e.g. Doomwheel) and are therefore rarely seen in competitive lists.

You could add 9 Jezzails and a Cannon in this list for example and use your Fiends as linebackers. Or you add another unit of Fiends, a Soulscream bridge and 2 Doomwheels to go aggressive.

This is a list that features the stuff you want the most:
Leaders
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- General
- Trait: Deranged Inventor

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

War Machines
Doomwheel (160)
Doomwheel (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Vermintide (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136

Still a lot you can change there, for example take the Fulminator instead of the Vigordust Injector. Send one of the Wheels through a Warphole and fulminate the other.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

so i have procured 9 jezzails, really looking to use them to the best of their ability, but havent had much practice with them. I've got a freindly game against khorne tonight, and i expect to see some big ol demons. Is it better to have the jezzails try to unload into bloodthirsters, or the support heroes? I plan on bringing an engineer and a bombadier for the MMMWP as well as a vigordust injector.  I know it becomes situational depending whats on the board, but any advice from people who play them would be welcome. deployment tactics and the like.

13 minutes ago, Ser_namron said:

so i have procured 9 jezzails, really looking to use them to the best of their ability, but havent had much practice with them. I've got a freindly game against khorne tonight, and i expect to see some big ol demons. Is it better to have the jezzails try to unload into bloodthirsters, or the support heroes? I plan on bringing an engineer and a bombadier for the MMMWP as well as a vigordust injector.  I know it becomes situational depending whats on the board, but any advice from people who play them would be welcome. deployment tactics and the like.

I would say to look at @Ineffectual Clawlord's damage breakdown of them on the last page for an idea on their potential. I don't know that VD + MMMWP is all that needed on them based on his math and you're rapidly killing off your own unit that way, thus the damage over the course of the game starts dropping pretty drastically.

They have a 36" threat range, but ideally you don't want them to move. I think it really just depends what you see as the biggest threat. Bloodthirsters can shred you in an AoE with their exploding mortals, but any of their buffed up units can do a lot as well. 9 of them are better at hitting bigger targets, but understand that you may not 1-shot, per the math. When I run Jezzails, I'm also running other shooting units (Acolytes or Fiends) to go after different targets, meaning the Jezzails are generally killing the support heroes.

Gotcha gotcha. I made a bit of a shooty list, think i might give it a go and just test thew waters out on these Jezzails. 

Warpseer- 300- Master of magic
Bombadier-100- vigordust injector/ MMMWP
Engineer - 100-  MMMWP
3x 20x clan rats for battleline tax 360 pts
9 jezzails- 420
WLC- 180
doomwheel- 160
Plague monks x 40- 280 
WLV -100 
2000/2000

Figured id just sit back out of reach of the first turn charge, let them come to me. Screen the front with clan rats, have the jezzails right behind them , the WLC close by for when the big threats get in range, have a doomwheel harassing the flank or going for a suicide run to bracket the bloodthirster and a WLV to stall the center of the board or an objective. Hopefully get some good shooting the first turn or two and then move the clan rats or plague monks out to take the objectives. Warpseer is their so i dont have to take battleshocks because his ability is bonkers lol. 

I was considering taking out the doomwheel/wlv for a unit of 3 stormfiends, but i dont think 3 is going to be worth it ( only have 3 for now).