• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

59 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yep from the looks of it, that is correct

Same as Skavenbrew or Vigordust Injector

1 hour ago, Aelford said:

Same as Skavenbrew or Vigordust Injector

Well Skavenbrew explicitly says that you can add 1to the attack characteristics of the meleeweapons carried by the unit, sp yes it works on melee weapon but sadly not on missile weapons.

7 hours ago, Aelford said:

I thought Skitterleap will help with positioning if needed, as well as an Verminlords I summon. 

Yeah... I wouldn't say it's necessary at all but it can be a nice boon. When I run him it's with my magic list so I have access to Dreaded Skitterleap which is infinitely more reliable than the 9" charge required from standard Skitterleap. It's almost always a guaranteed Hero\Behemoth deleted per turn and can delete\cripple a horde unit all in 1 model, so I'm a big fan. He generally gets thrown in with reckless abandon so if he die's I'm generally not too upset so long as 1-3 units die with him.

I'm trying to build a simple 1000 pts army. Is this good enough or should I change something (e.g. less plague monks)?

Allegiance: Skaventide
Mortal Realm: Hysh (purely aesthetic choice, no Hysh artefacts used)

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Verminous Valour

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Icon of Pestilence
- 2x Doom Gongs

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 117

16 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well Skavenbrew explicitly says that you can add 1to the attack characteristics of the meleeweapons carried by the unit, sp yes it works on melee weapon but sadly not on missile weapons.

We were talking about making an attack with Dreaded Death Frenzy. Skavenbrew causes D3 mortal wounds, which if the unit had Death Frenzy on, would be able to pile in and attack with before being removed if in combat of course.

1 hour ago, Aelford said:

We were talking about making an attack with Dreaded Death Frenzy. Skavenbrew causes D3 mortal wounds, which if the unit had Death Frenzy on, would be able to pile in and attack with before being removed if in combat of course.

Ah, well like I said and since there isn't an faq or rules saying otherwise, then yes, you basically found a way to attack with your own killed models in the hero phase.

11 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Ah, well like I said and since there isn't an faq or rules saying otherwise, then yes, you basically found a way to attack with your own killed models in the hero phase.

Until an FAQ , it works for Verminous Valour too. With double Death Frenzy it can be quite crazy! I've been thinking of lists which work well with each other. There's no shooting or endless spells but I'm sure they will be capable of holding their own whilst going with a different route to the usual Magic/Shooting lists we see from Skaven. Just trying to work out which I'd prefer to paint and test first.

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- General
- Artefact: Skavenbrew
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Arch-Warlock (160)
-
 Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
3 x 20 Clanrats (360)
2 x 40 Plague Monks (560)
Congregation of Filth (160)
Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 184

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- General
- Artefact: Skavenbrew
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Arch-Warlock (160)
-
 Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
Clawlord (100)
40 x Stormvermin (450)

3 x 40 Clanrats (600)
Claw-horde (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 196

17 hours ago, michu said:

I'm trying to build a simple 1000 pts army. Is this good enough or should I change something (e.g. less plague monks)?

Allegiance: Skaventide
Mortal Realm: Hysh (purely aesthetic choice, no Hysh artefacts used)

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Verminous Valour

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 2x Icon of Pestilence
- 2x Doom Gongs

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 117

Looks very strong. You sadly cant have 2 Icons of Pestilence and 2 Doom Gongs. 

To make it even stronger? Maybe change the Warpseer for a Seer on Bell with Death Frenzy. That's a very good spell for the Plague Monks. With the left over 80 points, that can boost the 20 clanrats to 40. With Death Frenzy and the extra attack from the Clawlord, Clanrats can put out some decent damage themselves.

32 minutes ago, Aelford said:

Looks very strong. You sadly cant have 2 Icons of Pestilence and 2 Doom Gongs. 

Why not?

the rules only say, that for each 20modes in the unit, that you can take a icon/banner and an instrument/gong.

• Like 2

Uhhm … I do have a probably rather stupid question: I haven't seen any Gnawholes in the Army Lists here lately. Is that because people don't use them, or because they are scenery, don't cost points and thus are not part of the Army list?

And to add another question: Are the Gnawholes considered a must-have for a skaventide Army or usefull at all?

Gnawholes are free with the allegiance, so yes, all lists are considered to have them. 

Gnawholes are pretty useful as well.  They let you move between them, and they give bonuses to your wizards and priests.  They are also deadly to non-skaven.  So yeah, there's almost no reason not to use them since being able to teleport along board edges is a good option to have (even if only to keep your opponent guessing and force them to protect their flanks) and most lists have at least 1 wizard/priest who could benefit from being near one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Why not?

the rules only say, that for each 20modes in the unit, that you can take a icon/banner and an instrument/gong.

Ahhh, I stand corrected! Good to know. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Filius said:

Uhhm … I do have a probably rather stupid question: I haven't seen any Gnawholes in the Army Lists here lately. Is that because people don't use them, or because they are scenery, don't cost points and thus are not part of the Army list?

And to add another question: Are the Gnawholes considered a must-have for a skaventide Army or usefull at all?

I find them useful as a distraction and a free teleportation move that can come in handy for some mission. Its buffs for skaven wizards and priests aren't bad either and can sometimes be rather use-full, but I wouldn't call it a must have, unless your going for the first turn in the enemy zone  Warp-lightning vortex teleportation trick.

It’s just a needle little tool that can have it’s uses.

• Like 1

Thanks to @willange and @Skreech Verminking for the help on the Gnawholes. So I need those too, sigh, esp. as I will be playing against Sylvaneth most of the time.

I do have another question: I currently build up my Skaven Army. I started planing the army before the new Battletome came out. I currently have 20 Clanrats and 30 Stormvermin and planed to expand both to 40 (and quite a lot of other rodents). But I'm not sure wether to go with 2x40 Clanrats or 2x40 Stormvermin. What's the general opinion on Clanrats vs. Stormvermin as Battleline around here?

18 minutes ago, Filius said:

What's the general opinion on Clanrats vs. Stormvermin as Battleline around here?

I don't think you can compare them really as they serve different functions. If you want a punchy unit that isn't Monks, I would go with 40 Stormvermin and it has the added benefit of being your battleline, if you only want to bring 60-80 Clanrats... of course you can bring more Clanrats if you want but that's dependent on if you want to run mostly Verminous or not. I've reconsidered my stance on the amount of chaff I bring lately.. some future testing may have me running only 60 Clanrats so we'll see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

Clanrats are considered better overall, but Stormvermin aren't horrible.  As Gwendar said, they serve different functions.  I would recommend 2 groups of 40 clanrats over 2 groups of 40 stormvermin though as you'll use them in a wider variety of lists.  80 stormvermin is the kind of thing you probably won't use as often simply  because that's 900 pts!

Edited by willange
  • Like 1

On another note, Skryre seems to have been a popular choice at the London GT this weekend. Ben Savva doing some great things with the Soulscream Bridge + 9 Stormfiends so I may need to give it a shot. As I said earlier, I've been rethinking my "required" amount of Clanrats (80-100, never less) and a few other tweaks thanks to some advice from a local celebrity that you all may know of. That and seeing some of these lists shifting heavily towards Stormfiends has made me think less about more bodies and more about heavier firepower early on to take objectives back with anything I have left, which I know has been mentioned here before, but I was a bit stubborn.

Anyway, now that the local League is over with where I was playing FeC, I will be shooting for 1-2 games per week to get more practice in and test a few things out in preparation for a few larger scale tournaments next year.

• Like 1

I’m having a similar debate with myself at the moment. I usually run 2x40 clanrats and 30 stormvermin, or 3x20 clanrats. And I’m trying to decide whether to buy another 40 clanrats and run 3x40. I do like the stormvermin for their punch against large named characters and I’m trying to cut down my drops using the claw horde battalion, but that doesn’t leave me enough points to take the models I like (jezzails, Abom, Wolf Rats)  and on the other hand I often find that 3x20 clanrats aren’t enough to hold and capture objectives.

i’ll be interested in your next few battle reports Gwendar 👍

• Like 1

Update on upcoming Doubles Tournament:

My teammate is bringing Flesh Eater Courts running Gristlegore (Archregent, Varghulf Courtier, 2x Terrorgheists). They released the rules packet today, and the team gets to share CP's which is great for multiple Feeding Frenzy a turn. Based on this information, which list would you take?

Verminlord Warpseer

Warlock Engineer

20x Clanrats

20x Clanrats

3x Stormfiends

Warp Lightning Vortex

OR

Grey Seer

Warlock Engineer

20x Clanrats

20x Clanrats

6x Stormfiends

2 hours ago, Cosmicsheep said:

I’m having a similar debate with myself at the moment. I usually run 2x40 clanrats and 30 stormvermin, or 3x20 clanrats. And I’m trying to decide whether to buy another 40 clanrats and run 3x40. I do like the stormvermin for their punch against large named characters and I’m trying to cut down my drops using the claw horde battalion, but that doesn’t leave me enough points to take the models I like (jezzails, Abom, Wolf Rats)  and on the other hand I often find that 3x20 clanrats aren’t enough to hold and capture objectives.

i’ll be interested in your next few battle reports Gwendar 👍

Looking forward to doing them. But yeah, I had ideas a while back to try running 40 Monks +9 Fiends but couldn't feasibly see doing it with my 80-100 Clanrats. Seeing some games from the guy who went 2nd at London GT has made me see that 60 can be enough. Sure you're going to struggle on some scenarios a little bit, but when you're outputting damage like that it rarely matters as major threats are removed in the first couple of turns. I would advise watching The Honest Wargamers coverage of 2 of the Skaven games on Twitch when able... great stuff. Of course if you run more Verminous... maybe not up your alley 😉

1 hour ago, Shirtripper said:

Update on upcoming Doubles Tournament:

My teammate is bringing Flesh Eater Courts running Gristlegore (Archregent, Varghulf Courtier, 2x Terrorgheists). They released the rules packet today, and the team gets to share CP's which is great for multiple Feeding Frenzy a turn. Based on this information, which list would you take?

Verminlord Warpseer

Warlock Engineer

20x Clanrats

20x Clanrats

3x Stormfiends

Warp Lightning Vortex

OR

Grey Seer

Warlock Engineer

20x Clanrats

20x Clanrats

6x Stormfiends

I think you would benefit greatly from the Warpseer since your CP's are shared so that's a no-brainer to me, which leaves out the 2nd choice. Personally though, I would rather run 6 Jezzails over 3 Stormfiends and a WLV. WLV is great, but you will have to be careful about hitting his models as well since they'll be right up in there straight away.

Hell, I'd almost be tempted to go with the Warpseer, 40 Clanrats and 9 Jezzails. MMMWP would be nice on them but I don't know that it's really needed; 9 on their own will be removing support pieces easily enough. All in all... I would say the 1st, or a variation of it. Just include that Warpseer since without Feast Day he'll struggle to get off a bunch of Feeding Frenzies.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I think you would benefit greatly from the Warpseer since your CP's are shared so that's a no-brainer to me, which leaves out the 2nd choice. Personally though, I would rather run 6 Jezzails over 3 Stormfiends and a WLV. WLV is great, but you will have to be careful about hitting his models as well since they'll be right up in there straight away.

Hell, I'd almost be tempted to go with the Warpseer, 40 Clanrats and 9 Jezzails. MMMWP would be nice on them but I don't know that it's really needed; 9 on their own will be removing support pieces easily enough. All in all... I would say the 1st, or a variation of it. Just include that Warpseer since without Feast Day he'll struggle to get off a bunch of Feeding Frenzies.

Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately I own no Jezzails and the tournament is this Saturday otherwise 9x Jezzails sounds great.  I was considering 2x Warp Lightning Cannons which I do have instead of the WLV and 3x Stormfiends. Which would you rather do?

8 minutes ago, Shirtripper said:

Which would you rather do?

I would rather run 2 WLC's. You've got a 27" threat range that doesn't care about Look out, Sir and on average focus firing a target should be able to do the same as 6\9 Jezzails. If you overcharge one of them, then you're doing even better in that regard. Those TG's are good at killing everything, not just heroes so you can easily aim that thing at backline support, elite units, other artillery, etc.

Now I kind of miss my WLC's... I may give Ben Savva's list a go that includes one as tax. I used them all the time before the tome and now they're not great compared to other toys (Jezzails and 9 Fiends).

9 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I would rather run 2 WLC's. You've got a 27" threat range that doesn't care about Look out, Sir and on average focus firing a target should be able to do the same as 6\9 Jezzails. If you overcharge one of them, then you're doing even better in that regard. Those TG's are good at killing everything, not just heroes so you can easily aim that thing at backline support, elite units, other artillery, etc.

Now I kind of miss my WLC's... I may give Ben Savva's list a go that includes one as tax. I used them all the time before the tome and now they're not great compared to other toys (Jezzails and 9 Fiends).

I had similar thoughts. If I can pop some backline heroes, then the WLC's will have done their jobs. The big hope is that by removing those heroes, the terrorgheists should cause enough damage to cause whole units to melt in the battleshock phase.

I'm also considering taking the command trait for the Warpseer that steals enemy CP's on 6's, but that seems too greedy lol.

5 minutes ago, Shirtripper said:

I'm also considering taking the command trait for the Warpseer that steals enemy CP's on 6's, but that seems too greedy lol.

Eh... You could I suppose I just don't know that it will give you a return when you really want it. I would say your other good option is Suspicous Stone or another Realm artifact to make that Warpseer extra tanky, 4+RR with a 5+, 5+ annoys the hell out of people and is great for Hero\Wizard controlled objectives.

Good luck though, look forward to hearing how it goes.