5kaven5lave

I think most older armies will run into trouble sooner than later. Event with IDK on said event I often had a hard time doing any damage against factions with newer books (especially if the player went for an elite built). 

Until a new books (hopefully) elevates the older armies back you can either go with mortal wound and bypass the save (although there are more and more wards out there as well so we might even need a lot of those to have an effect) or go for cadance and flood your opponent with attacks. 

You guys see any solid play from a Skryre list? I'm wanting to run 9 fiends. Which means Arch Warlock, Bombardier x2 and 5x5 + 1x15 acolytes. No skitterleap so need the bridge.

Anything less than 40 acolytes seems way too sparse.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Converting and painting all those acolytes is a lot of work.

Thoughts?

27 minutes ago, Chase said:

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Converting and painting all those acolytes is a lot of work.

Depends what kind of acolytes your building.

but most of the currently conversion, I have seen are kinda pretty easily done.

mine for example are made out if stormvermins and the irondrakes guns.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

So got a new list idea here:

Allegiance: Skaventide
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery - Triumphs: Inspired
LEADERS
Verminlord Warbringer (305)*
- General
- Command Trait: Brutal Fury
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Grey Seer (140)**
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Clawlord (105)**
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Devious Adversary
Clawlord (105)*
- Artefact: Things-Bane
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Brutal Fury
Arch-Warlock (175)*
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
 Plague Priest (85)**
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse

-liber bubonicus
UNITS
6 x Stormfiends (630)***
- 02 x Windlaunchers
- 02 x Ratling Cannons
- 02 x Doomflayer Gauntlets
20 x Clanrats (130)***
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (130)***
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (130)*
- Rusty Blade
6 x Giant Rats (40)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Warlord
**Command Entourage - Magnificent ***Hunters of the Heartlands
LEADERS: 6/6
ARTEFACTS: 2/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3
REINFORCED UNITS: 1/4
   TOTAL: 1975/2000
WOUNDS: 140
BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 1/4
ARTILLERY: 0/4 ALLIES: 0/400
basically it has it all.

Shooting and a ton of damage potential.

I currently noticed how amazing Clawlords are, when they die.

With deathfrenzy, dreaded deathfrenzy on them, they are basically attacking with 16attacks.

if you combine this with ”his finest hour” and brutal fury popped as well as the command trait of the warbringer and that all out attack, this would mean that this one clawlord will be able to deal 22attacls hitting on 2s wounding on 2s rerolling all 1s to hit and wound with a damage characteristic of d3. It may not sound that great since the rend is just -1, but when your literally almost always going to do 22 wounds before the save, a good amount of it will go through, even if that being has a 3+ save ignoring rend -1.

For units with more models, that can throw out 40 to more attacks, devoius adversary will be rhe amazing trait of another clawlord.

with this the clawlord, will in a lucky situation gain 10 or more attacks, in addition to his already 8 attacks.

combined with double deathfrenzy, this clawlord will be able to put out around 36 (or more) attacks that will very likely all hit and wound (with the the same buffs mentioned above)

So basically I’m going for the mini gotrek style cornered rat list.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, SaucyRatBear said:

That idea with the Clawlord sounds fun, especially since most of those buffs you would probably want anyway to use on other units so you aren't missing out on anything by doing it (other than opportunity cost of casting those buffs on something else that might use it better) 

That is true, yet I personally went for the most points efficient unit for damage in times of death, and currently that would be the clawlord.

since this being can be buffed by his finest hour, this makes him an actually gotrek like creature, and considering that the Warbringer, can still put out a considerable amount of rerolls for all verminus army, I am currently seeing those two claw lords as elite and hero killers.

With the brutal fury command trait and the things-bane artefact on one of my clawlords, this gives me an additional amount of damage against any heroic being or elite ubit.

having plus one damage on up to 22attacks, makes this guy a literal beast in combat, for when he dies.

This will even frighten a maw-crusher sitting on a 2+ save.

Got in a two-day even this weekend, I live in China and a bunch of us met up in Shanghai to play 4 games over Saturday and Sunday. A recap of my weekend in précis: 

Game 1 (Ogors)

My list: 

Arch-Warlock, general, amulet, deranged inventor, MMMWP 

Verminlord Warpseer, Levitate 

Warlock Bombardier, MMMWP

3x20 Clanrats 

1x6 Stormfiends, Windlaunchers, Ratling Guns, Doomflayers

1x6 Jezzails

His list roughly: 

Dude on Mammoth, general 

Slaughtermaster 

Tyrant 

Firebelly 

1x6 Ogor battleline (Gluttons?) 

1x6 Ogor battleline (Ironguts I believe) 

1x4 Mournfang 

The scenario was 4 objectives spaced equally, 2 in my territory and 2 in his. I was a 1-drop so I made him go first. 

A brief summary: 

• Jezzails were amazing, killing his Tyrant, Slaughtermaster and Firebelly. 
  • For some baffling reason he gave me the double while I was in range of his general with all Stormfiend shooting. I promptly killed him. 
  • Clanrats did what Clanrats do and died in droves. 
  • Metamorphosis on Bombardier is amazing for grabbing a few niche VPs with him. 
  • My favourite trick with the Warpseer is charge-retreat to get onto far objectives. 12+charge roll+12 is no small amount of distance covered. 

Unfortunately I only managed a draw, with the final score being something like 32-32. We both finished 4 battle tactics, so no tie-breaker. I was actually a fair number of points down at the bottom of round 5, but managed to pull a few back with Metamorphosis onto the Bombardier followed by a charge-retreat with him onto a far objective. 

Game 2 (Skaven) 

This game was against a very experienced Skaven player (and I still am not), so I was super cagey. His list was basically: 

Arch-Warlock, general, Chain Warp Lightning, Amulet of Destiny  

Thanquol, Skitterleap 

Screaming Bell, Death Frenzy 

20x Stormvermin 

2x WLC 

2x20 Clanrats

3x Ratling Guns

My list was similar to my first one, but instead of Jezzails I had 2x Ratlings, 1x Warpgrinder and 2x Warpfire Throwers

In brief: 

• He summoned a Warpseer turn 2 with a double 6 on his Bell roll. 
  • We both kept our distance, each afraid of the other's shooting. 
  • I burnt a unit of Clanrats with Warp-grindered Clanrats + warpfire throwers. 
  • My Stormfiends didn't do a whole lot because I kept them out of WLC range the whole battle (this was a mistake). 
  • He kept chipping away quite effectively with his Arch-Warlock by Skitterleaping next to a Gnawhole, hitting me with Warp Lightning spells of various flavours, then Skitterleaping back. Eventually this led to the Arch-Warlock blowing up when he tried for an overloaded Warp Lightning Storm and failed (even with a re-roll). 

Final score was like 13-18 in his favour. Very cagey, very slow match I lost due to overcautiousness. The free Warpseer didn't help. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, Chase said:

Thoughts?

I made quite a few using Blue Stuff from Green Stuff World. Made a mold of the Acolyte holding a grenade from the skaven mortar team. If you want nearly no converting making your own mold is the way to go, especially in mass. The trick is simply finding a base model that's chunky and solid. It might actually be worth to spend the pretty penny for one GW acolyte (metal), it'll take really well to mold making. Or find a single resin print online from Esty of a knock-off version. I should say I later switched to some silicon molds (picks up detail better) for similar projects but it would be a great thing to add to your hobby repertoire. 

So I’ll be taking part on an Event next Month.

Since I won’t be able to get much painted up till then, I decided to go with a clan skryre fun list.

Allegiance: Skaventide
- Grand Strategy: priced Sorcery  - Triumphs: Inspired
LEADERS
Arch-Warlock (175)*
- General
- Command Trait: Overseer of Destruction
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny
Warlock Bombardier (125)*
- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator - Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
Warlock Bombardier (125)*
 UNITS
3 x Stormfiends (315)**
- 01 x Windlaunchers
- 01 x Ratling Cannons
- 01 x Doomflayer Gauntlets
5 x Skryre Acolytes (65)** 5 x Skryre Acolytes (65)** 1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Doomwheel (165)***
1 x Doomwheel (165)***
ARTILLERY
Warp Lightning Cannon (185)
Warp Lightning Cannon (185)
Warp Lightning Cannon (185) CORE BATTALIONS
*Command Entourage - Magnificent **Hunters of the Heartlands ***Alpha-Beast Pack
LEADERS: 3/6
ARTEFACTS: 2/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3
    TOTAL: 1950/2000
WOUNDS: 93
BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 2/4
ARTILLERY: 3/4 ALLIES: 0/400
REINFORCED UNITS: 0/4

C9AF49D7-C1FD-4CD1-B771-83255E3BF760.jpeg.113e41481ca9b31da0403438643f8f13.jpeg

almost 60% of this army is based on converted models, So that is basically it.

There is not much of a strategy behind this list, and I highly doubt that it has any chance against a lumineth army.

But it could work pretty well against a Sons of behemat or an Ironjawz army, as long as those guys don’t get a double turn and I’m able to roll something good.

well in any case the worst thing that could happen is in me loosing basically every unit in my army through my own miss-haps.

It can’t get more hilarious than that 

A couple of weeks ago i had a friendly game against SCE at 1k points. I know this isn't an ideal point bracket for Skaven and that the SCE tome is likely to be the new hotness for a while but i was surprised how easily i was defeated and how little i managed to kill.

So i got to thinking about how i could defeat the heavily armoured elite troops such as the Annihilators. I really struggled with their 2+ saves. I dug out my trusty calculator and did some calculations:

A single annihilator with 3 wounds and a 2+ save will need (on average) 18 wounds at 0 rend to kill (saving 15 of them)

18 wounds at 0 rend against a unit of toughened Rat Ogors with 6w and a 4+ save would do 9 damage and kill 1.5 models

How best then should we deal with the meta trending towards 2+ saves and 5+ wards ? The answer i think is REND !

If we were to attack the same annihilators with -2 rend we would only need to do 6 damage to kill a single model

Those same 6 damage at -2 rend against our toughened Rat Ogors would only do 5 damage and not even kill a single model

Luckily we Skaven have multiple options to deliver high rend attacks. The Verminlord Deciever, Thanqoul (with braziers), Lord Skreetch (with the warp-tech knowledge), HellPit Abominations as well as ranged attacks from the Jezzails, Acolytes and Stormfiends

I'm playing SCE again this week and i'm going to try and take as many high rend units as possible and see what difference that makes.

What have other players been doing in this new meta, and do we have much hope of winning against such tanks??

2 minutes ago, Cosmicsheep said:

A couple of weeks ago i had a friendly game against SCE at 1k points. I know this isn't an ideal point bracket for Skaven and that the SCE tome is likely to be the new hotness for a while but i was surprised how easily i was defeated and how little i managed to kill.

So i got to thinking about how i could defeat the heavily armoured elite troops such as the Annihilators. I really struggled with their 2+ saves. I dug out my trusty calculator and did some calculations:

A single annihilator with 3 wounds and a 2+ save will need (on average) 18 wounds at 0 rend to kill (saving 15 of them)

18 wounds at 0 rend against a unit of toughened Rat Ogors with 6w and a 4+ save would do 9 damage and kill 1.5 models

How best then should we deal with the meta trending towards 2+ saves and 5+ wards ? The answer i think is REND !

If we were to attack the same annihilators with -2 rend we would only need to do 6 damage to kill a single model

Those same 6 damage at -2 rend against our toughened Rat Ogors would only do 5 damage and not even kill a single model

Luckily we Skaven have multiple options to deliver high rend attacks. The Verminlord Deciever, Thanqoul (with braziers), Lord Skreetch (with the warp-tech knowledge), HellPit Abominations as well as ranged attacks from the Jezzails, Acolytes and Stormfiends

I'm playing SCE again this week and i'm going to try and take as many high rend units as possible and see what difference that makes.

What have other players been doing in this new meta, and do we have much hope of winning against such tanks??

Have you tried warp-lightning cannons?

I’ve got a feeling that those will the bane for any stormcast army (although it always depends how you roll)

I will be taking 3 with me to the next upcoming local tournament, and I am currently not interested in winning, just going to play a list with basically anything that can explode.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Have you tried warp-lightning cannons?

I’ve got a feeling that those will the bane for any stormcast army (although it always depends how you roll)

I will be taking 3 with me to the next upcoming local tournament, and I am currently not interested in winning, just going to play a list with basically anything that can explode.

That was my other thought. I do have 2 WLC and 2 WFT so i could just go for mortal wound spam :D

16 minutes ago, Cosmicsheep said:

That was my other thought. I do have 2 WLC and 2 WFT so i could just go for mortal wound spam :D

I’m not sure if warpfire thrower weapon teams are a good option against the current stormcast.

Yet, If your opponent just loves taking multiple bricks of 10-15 posterboy units, I guess it could be useful 

But warp-lightning cannons, seem to be a steal, at this point.

The same could be said about the arch warlock with his overcharged warpstorm spell, although I would be careful, could

be that he would take a wizard with the dispel scroll, or whatever that warscroll ability is called these days

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m not sure if warpfire thrower weapon teams are a good option against the current stormcast.

Yet, If your opponent just loves taking multiple bricks of 10-15 posterboy units, I guess it could be useful 

But warp-lightning cannons, seem to be a steal, at this point.

The same could be said about the arch warlock with his overcharged warpstorm spell, although I would be careful, could

be that he would take a wizard with the dispel scroll, or whatever that warscroll ability is called these days

Doomwheels... Lots of doomwheels run them over... That or body's, the stormcast carnt kill 60 clan rats in a turn... Or 2... 

31 minutes ago, greg19190 said:

That and/or loose the behemoth key word in the update...

Rat wacky racers accept all the racers are dastardly and muttly... 

or you could remove the single from its unit role.

would allow one to take multiple units of 2 Doomwheels.

could be petty fun😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greg19190 said:

Battleline in scryer... :)

yes-yes

5 hours ago, SaucyRatBear said:

I seriously want a Skaven Cavalry army and unless new models are released then Doomwheels are the way to go. That dumb behemoth word keeps getting in my way though!!!

Yeah, it is after all just a chariot.

Hoping here that skryre will get the option to field a hero option for the doomwheel

• LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Enkyridion said:

Hello fellow generals!

I have another question that came up when building a list...

Can I skitterleap leap away from combat (in case I'm already engaged) and then shoot and charge some other unit?

This of course with the Verminlord Deceiver

Yes-Yes

• Thanks 1