5kaven5lave

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Skyre acolytes : how to get them for cheap/hordes? How to convert monks in acolytes?

I happened to be in a Geedubs store when a regular asked about counts-as for Acolytes to one of the staff. They recommended the Monk, use a ball of green-stuff for the globe (or you can see about getting a pack of small craft hobby beads for them) and then you can mold a gasmask to their face using it too.

Top tips could be to check bits sites to see stock for Doomwheel/WLC crew heads, the latter I believe is most in scale with Monks as a basis, not sure though. Backpacks you can get easily from an AdMech Skitarii kit.

• Thanks 1

@GeneralZero What Wander said is probably the most common way if you want to try to sculpt with green stuff. All of mine are just Plague Monk heads + bodies since it's always been near impossible to get gas-mask heads that aren't 3rd party, a Skitarii backpack and many will use either Electro-priest arms or ghoul arms for the throwing hand.

Granted, they don't exactly need to be throwing it and now that mortars are dead, I've seen quite a few people cutting up their mortar teams and basing both models on a separate base to count as Acolytes. Personally, I'm trying to track down some Drakegun bits to use with stormvermin to make "gas-globe-launcher Acolytes".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wander said:

Warhammer Community has updated the warscroll builder to include Skaventide and the battletome point adjustments now. Should be even easier to throw together some lists to test the new stuff now.

I also ran through a list and it confirms Monks do not count as battleline if you add in Nurgle units as Allies to a Pestilens list.

Guess my next project will be the Plagueclaw Catapult from my SC box after all.

Do not trust warscroll builder or azyr to properly model the rules. It often has bugs, particularly with things like this. 

Let's wait for the FAQ. 

Sample Acolyte. I have fifteen so far. Painting is finally in progress!

Heads: ideally gas mask heads from the Warp Lightning Cannon or Doomwheel. Initially unaware you got three of these on each WLC sprue I also bought some Mantic Veer-Myn to use. They're ok but GW heads are better.

Bodies: Stormvermin.

Weapon arm: Clanrats and Stormvermin.

Globe arm: Ghoul arms and green stuff globes. I suck at rolling spheres.

Backpacks: Admech Skitarii.

15505208069255473246258670801370.jpg

1550520835351569433272564681695.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Skyre acolytes : how to get them for cheap/hordes? How to convert monks in acolytes?

I've seen a lot of people using their poison wind mortars as acolytes now that they aren't a thing anymore. For conversions you could try finding the bits from the warp lightning cannon or doomwheel skaven, they have the gas masks. Greenstuff globes should be incredibly simple to make

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I've seen plague monks and/or blood bowl skaven converted to make acolytes, both are very convincing.

I tried a 1000k list yesterday at my local shop, didn't go very well against Goblins.

Clawlord

Bombardier

2x 40 Clanrats

2x rattling guns

Doomwheel

Bell of Doom

Vermintide

Bombardier was largely useless and only hit once, and was only able to get vermintide out. It did 2 mw total. By turn 3 I was ground down to nothing.

New idea!

Verminlord Warbringer

Bombardier

2x 40 Clanrats

3x rattling guns

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Do not trust warscroll builder or azyr to properly model the rules. It often has bugs, particularly with things like this. 

Let's wait for the FAQ. 

I think he's right. Azyr makes a point of taking Plague Monks out of battleline slots if you take a Nurgle unit. Slightly mad that Nurgle can only ally with a Nurgle army if there's non Nurgle units in it but hey ho

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

How did all the other elements in the army do? What was your biggest problem?

Well, we did open war (which I hate) and got the V deployment, where one army gets from two corners to the middle, and the other is divided into two and gets two separate corners. I began deploying in the V shaped space with my Clawlord at the tip of the spear with the two Clanrat units at either wing; when I realized he was all-inning one corner I deployed my Doomwheel on that side, followed up by my two weapon teams with my Bombardier in tow.

I could go into specifics as to what happened, but pretty much I was unable to bring all my Clanrats to bear on his army. I'm pretty sure he fielded far more than 1K, he had a 20 man unit of shootas, 20 man unit of stabbas, what looked like a doubled, combined unit of squigs with some herders, two units of Fanatics (these guys SUCK to fight against), and a variety of shamans and  a lot support staff alongside some sort of melee oriented leader. He fielded a lot of nets and those things are pure BS.

Skaven Breakdown:

Warlock Bombardier: A nice inexpensive unit that can buff itself or other Skryre units in your outfit. Weak save and HP, and a dubious attack. I only hit once with him in three turns and did 3 wounds on a hit, the other two times I failed to wound. Only one spell cast hurts it as well but it's a relatively inexpensive support hero.

Clawlord: I forgot he benefited from Lead From The Back, okayish damage and durability. I'd recon he's better for larger games where you can afford to spend points on an auxiliary damage dealer/army buffer.

Clanrats: Much better than they were, they hold on very well with Strength in Numbers and improved Clanshields, until then get too low. I rolled a 6 twice for my morale on a single unit over two turns and it wiped them out. I gave a bealgured unit x2 attacks turn 2, only for them to be affected by the goblin nets and being under 30 models, did a bunch of nothing. Other one crashed into his supporting heroes but they stubbornly held on.

Doomwheel: Potentially good movement, the single turn I used it it only moved 9 inches and did okay damage with overcharged warp bolts and vigordust. Charged a shaman, shootas and fanatics, wiped out the fanatics. Died turn 2.

Rattling guns: One of them died right off the bat in the first half of turn one, the other died when I overcharged and it rolled a double. Got some nice warp-lead out it before it grinded itself to bits.

Vermintide: Majorly useless, barely did anything at all.

Bell of Doom: wasn't able to cast this, but I wish I did instead.

I'm going to try again with a revised list, or ply for a bigger game.

38 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Hmmm... My analysis? 

FB_IMG_1549902341501.jpg.239757f8d170ae463492f1c7fb5fd51e.jpg

But you know, warpfire. 

Hah, went with Rattlings because  I could buff the ****** out of them; but year in this instance I should've used warpflamers. Unfortunately I showed up and played a pickup game. When fighting another horde army, I think I'll quietly slip them in.

Edited by Zuriaxis
  • Like 3

@Zuriaxis I completely understand. I'm bringing Thanquol with a 50\50 weapon mix to see how it works out this weekend in dealing with the Hordes\elites people tend to bring around here.. I think Thanquol is somewhat of a trap unit in some cases but we'll see. If I were to replace him, I would bring along 2 Warpfire Throwers minimum in every list to meld into the big Clanrat blocks.

Your summary of each units involvement in the game was nice, I think a lot of us are going to be hashing out quite a few lists until we get everything down.

How is everyone finding gnawholes? from the few games i've played they are nice to have but haven't had much of an effect on the battle.  I mostly use them for the +1 to cast and have gotten off one turn five warp to claim an objective.

I've been having fun with a master moulder + hellpit and 6 rat ogors as long as I can keep them screened with clanrats.

24 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@Zuriaxis I completely understand. I'm bringing Thanquol with a 50\50 weapon mix to see how it works out this weekend in dealing with the Hordes\elites people tend to bring around here.. I think Thanquol is somewhat of a trap unit in some cases but we'll see. If I were to replace him, I would bring along 2 Warpfire Throwers minimum in every list to meld into the big Clanrat blocks.

Your summary of each units involvement in the game was nice, I think a lot of us are going to be hashing out quite a few lists until we get everything down.

Thanks!

Thanquol is one heck of a beast, just as long as you can protect him from flanks/massed shooting attacks. I think that we'll find Warpfire/Clanrats block combo as you mentioned will be our bread and butter answer to enemy battlelines/hordes, and will because a standard catch-all for Skryre/Skaventide lists. As for Thanquol, I wouldn't quite call him a trap unit unless you're playing sub 2000; even then his spells and firepower alone is going to toast even elites.

Anyone hoping the Warpgnaw Verminlord will get fixed? It's really expensive and somehow has less wounds than all the other verminlords. I guess its inbuilt Warpgrinder is neat and if it somehow isn't damaged then the glaive does flat 5 damage (but starts dropping after the 1st wound). Not sure if thats worth the 320pt cost.

At the very least it should have terrifying, cast 2 spells, and 2 more wounds,

Unless theres some weird in lore reason that being a warpgnaw makes them less resilient.

Edited by kenshin620

18 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Anyone hoping the Warpgnaw Verminlord will get fixed? It's really expensive and somehow has less wounds than all the other verminlords. I guess its inbuilt Warpgrinder is neat and if it somehow isn't damaged then the glaive does flat 5 damage (but starts dropping after the 1st wound). Not sure if thats worth the 320pt cost.

At the very least it should have terrifying, cast 2 spells, and 2 more wounds,

Unless theres some weird in lore reason that being a warpgnaw makes them less resilient.

Best off taking the Warpseer instead of warpgnaw. Better as a general and cheaper as well. Still Masterclan.

Had a very interesting game vs Flesh eater tonight. My list was :

Allegiance: Skaventide
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Savage Overlord
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Artefact: Skavenbrew 
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Warpgnaw Verminlord (320)
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
40 x Clanrats (200)
40 x Clanrats (200)
20 x Clanrats (120)
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (160)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 159

Ended up losing 24 to 26 in a bloodbath of a game. Few observations, in no particular order:

1. there's a lot to remember in this book, I forgot a bunch of rules (though I'd only had the book in my hand for 24 hours so that's to be expected)

2. Flesh eaters hit like trucks. Ghouls with 5 attacks each with rerolls is not nice

3. The Warpgnaw is way overpriced for what he does. Shame because I love the model. Guess I need to paint another verminlord (probably a warpseer)

4. Warpfire throwers are the bomb. Roasting 30 ghouls in one round of overcharged shooting was hilarious

5. Gnawhole movement shenanigans are quite powerful. Only reason I kept it so close is I used it to threaten his back objectives

6. Warp lightning spell seems very overpriced for the wounds that it did. 

7. overcharged warp lighting canons are awesome. I think I want to add a third to the list

8. The Doomwheel did very well for me that game but I rolled well above average. As "skaven" as it is I dont think its worth taking at 160 points.

9. Screaming bell did fine, but I think I'd go with a seer on foot and a warpseer instead, save some points.

If you feel like it you can watch a stream of the game on twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/canhammer_tv A short form batrep will be on youtube at some point soon too.

Edited by Professor Clio
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Num said:

@Professor Clio

thanks for the battle report! Your list looks solid. I feel that, as was said before, warpfire thrower wrapped in clanrats will be core...

May I ask how you painted the vortex of the gnawhole please?

Cheers

Airbrush magic, mostly. I started with the stone part with various vallejo air greys and added a quick drybrush of terminatus stone. Then I airbrushed the green vortex, starting from vallejo game air dark green, going to a very pale yellowish green, airbrushing the swirls in. The wooden parts are just a dark brown basecoat airbrushed on with a dryad bark dry brush.  Took me about 3-4 hours to get all three down.

Edit: Agreed on the warp fire throwers. Two of them were great but I'd want to add another to the list, maybe even 2 more. The current meta is pretty horde heavy it feels and they're a hard counter to it, if you can keep them safe from getting sniped.

Edited by Professor Clio