5kaven5lave

19 minutes ago, michu said:

1)Nice Clawlord @Skreech Verminking. Is that a Duardin axe?

2)Ok. so who want to upset Dispossessed players and add their cannons to Skaven armies? They will run out of ink for their Book of Grudges. :) 

1)thanks, yeah that  was a duardin or dwarfen  axe. Afterall clan mors is rather well known for their gromril scrapped armory and weapons.

2) well knowing how well loved I am under the sturdy dwarfen players, I’m guessing that their ink is probably already out.

So to answer you’re question me, me, me, me!!

Edited by Skreech Verminking

I just bought a huge Skaven lot. Over 3000 points I think. But I would love to start att 1000 points and work my way up. My gaming group likes to play rather competitive or at least mid tier (never just for fun). And I would like some help with my first list. I have the following:

Thanquol

Verminlord Warpseer

Grey seer on bell

Grey seer

Arch-warlock

2 Clawlords

Warlock engineer 

Warlock bombardier

100 Clanrats

2 Warp lightning cannons

2 Doomwheels

3 Stormfiends

9 Jezzails

1 Warpfire thrower

2 Rat ogors

Endless spells 

Gnawholes

@Amradiel How about trying out this list?

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)

Total: 960 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 91

So basically my thoughts are that the bell bravery buffs the clanrats, making them harder to chew trough. The small clanrat unit can be used for grabbing objectives and the like, whilst the other unit stays wholly within 13" the bell. 
You primary damage output would be the jezzails buffed by the arch-warlock. So screen them well. 
Skitterleap on the bell is for the objective game. Being able to send the arch-warlock onto some faraway objective can be clutch. Or joining up with either jezzails or clanrats who went through the gnawholes. 

7 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

@Amradiel How about trying out this list?

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)

Total: 960 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 91

So basically my thoughts are that the bell bravery buffs the clanrats, making them harder to chew trough. The small clanrat unit can be used for grabbing objectives and the like, whilst the other unit stays wholly within 13" the bell. 
You primary damage output would be the jezzails buffed by the arch-warlock. So screen them well. 
Skitterleap on the bell is for the objective game. Being able to send the arch-warlock onto some faraway objective can be clutch. Or joining up with either jezzails or clanrats who went through the gnawholes. 

Looks fun 😊 The only thing Im worried about are the low model count. But I have no clue as I have not played Skaven. Thank you.

19 hours ago, Amradiel said:

I just bought a huge Skaven lot. Over 3000 points I think. But I would love to start att 1000 points and work my way up. My gaming group likes to play rather competitive or at least mid tier (never just for fun). And I would like some help with my first list. I have the following:

Thanquol

Verminlord Warpseer

Grey seer on bell

Grey seer

Arch-warlock

2 Clawlords

Warlock engineer 

Warlock bombardier

100 Clanrats

2 Warp lightning cannons

2 Doomwheels

3 Stormfiends

9 Jezzails

1 Warpfire thrower

2 Rat ogors

Endless spells 

Gnawholes

Let’s see:

heroes: 220p

1Grey seer:120p (artefacts: snoutgrovel robe; Warpgale)

1Warlock bombadier:100p(general; deranged inventor)

battleline:400p

2x40:400p

others:

3Stormfiends:260p(rattlings, windlaunchers, doomflayers)

1unit of jezzails:140p

so yeah you basically will be  sniping  the support heroes of the enemy army with the windlaunchers and the jezzails.

it may look impossible to do so, but with the more more warpower spell on the stormfiends and the rerolling to hits by the jezzails will still do a lot of damage.

should you be facing against hordes or elite warriors who dared to basically charge your clanrats, the rattling guns from the stormfiends will be able to deal with them easily.

althoug you should remember to buff your skryre units with the +1 damage buff.

rattling guns and jezzails  will be amazing with it.

the clanrats will liter,y be your meatshields, nothing more.

their mission will be to capture the objective, destroy weaker units and keep the stronger in bay.

and the grey seer will be literly supporting those units with his 13 inch bubble of battle shock ignorance thanks to his artefact.

with warpgale you’ll be able to keep rather fast units, like run and charging terrorgheist at bay, while sniping them out of the game without having to see them slaughter your basic holding line of meatshields.

Now what I have given to you is well  more of an idea of how a skaven force can be build (might change in the future).

So what I’m basically trying to say, is that you should just take what evr you like more.

there is no reason to hold back if you want to go the horde way and overrun your foe-thing with bodys and bodys of clanrats,

just want to turn your foe-things army into swiss cheese? no problemo Just go the skryre way.

basically go out there, try a few things out and sooner or later you will have the perfect fun skaven list against your friend-things.

And if you loose a match don't worry it happens to me all the time😉

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Let’s see:

heroes: 220p

1Grey seer:120p (artefacts: snoutgrovel robe; Warpgale)

1Warlock bombadier:100p(general; deranged inventor)

battleline:400p

2x40:400p

others:

3Stormfiends:260p(rattlings, windlaunchers, doomflayers)

1unit of jezzails:140p

so yeah you basically will be  sniping  the support heroes of the enemy army with the windlaunchers and the jezzails.

it may look impossible to do so, but with the more more warpower spell on the stormfiends and the rerolling to hits by the jezzails will still do a lot of damage.

should you be facing against hordes or elite warriors who dared to basically charge your clanrats, the rattling guns from the stormfiends will be able to deal with them easily.

althoug you should remember to buff your skryre units with the +1 damage buff.

rattling guns and jezzails  will be amazing with it.

the clanrats will liter,y be your meatshields, nothing more.

their mission will be to capture the objective, destroy weaker units and keep the stronger in bay.

and the grey seer will be literly supporting those units with his 13 inch bubble of battle shock ignorance thanks to his artefact.

with warpgale you’ll be able to keep rather fast units, like run and charging terrorgheist at bay, while sniping them out of the game without having to see them slaughter your basic holding line of meatshields.

Now what I have given to you is well  more of an idea of how a skaven force can be build (might change in the future).

So what I’m basically trying to say, is that you should just take what evr you like more.

there is no reason to hold back if you want to go the horde way and overrun your foe-thing with bodys and bodys of clanrats,

just want to turn your foe-things army into swiss cheese? no problemo Just go the skryre way.

basically go out there, try a few things out and sooner or later you will have the perfect fun skaven list against your friend-things.

And if you loose a match don't worry it happens to me all the time😉

Haha thank you 😊 I will give it a go.

Edit: By my math it is 1020 no?

Edited by Amradiel

20 minutes ago, Hagbean said:

other than the fact that the list is illegal? 

Wow your friends really must  insist of playing exactly 1000p.

to tell you the truth I haven’t met a guy who Was bothered by playing against a opponent with 20p more than the actual limit was set on.

nor have I ever been notified by any tournament organizers who  refused to take my list, because it was  20 points over the actual point limit set.

But hey if you’re opponent has problems with playing against an army which has 20 more points, either introduce him to the triumph table, or take 4-5clanrats out of one unit and tell him that they each cost around 6p.

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

to tell you the truth I haven’t met a guy who Was bothered by playing against a opponent with 20p more than the actual limit was set on.

nor have I ever been notified by any tournament organizers who  refused to take my list, because it was  20 points over the actual point limit set.

But hey if you’re opponent has problems with playing against an army which has 20 more points, either introduce him to the triumph table, or take 4-5clanrats out of one unit and tell him that they each cost around 6p.

Well where do you draw the line? 20? 40? 60? 80? 100?

I honestly wouldn't really have that much of an issue with someone wanting to play with a list that's 20 points over, but it certainly isn't "nothing to worry about" like you eluded to in your original comment.

Rules exist for a reason, going 20 points over can be the difference between having to completely rearrange the composition of a list to fit in a specific unit/model.

I wasn't trying to offend you at all buddy, just don't think it's a good idea to suggest others to break rules.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hagbean said:

Well where do you draw the line? 20? 40? 60? 80? 100?

I honestly wouldn't really have that much of an issue with someone wanting to play with a list that's 20 points over, but it certainly isn't "nothing to worry about" like you eluded to in your original comment.

Rules exist for a reason, going 20 points over can be the difference between having to completely rearrange the composition of a list to fit in a specific unit/model.

I wasn't trying to offend you at all buddy, just don't think it's a good idea to suggest others to break rules.

I see your point, still I doubt anybody will have problem playing against somebody with 20points more.

Unlike in 40k we basically don’t have the possibility of taking models away from a unit till it fits perfectly or almost into the exact point limit.

sure you could technically take out a hero and replace it with something else (which isn’t really a problem for me) but could still be a struggle for other players who only have like those models and nothing else to replace them with.

anyways I guess you could basically say that as long as your opponent is fine with it it shouldn’t be a problem.

same goes for events or tournis.

surely (hopfully) they’ll right back to you if the disagree with your point of view.

6 minutes ago, Zuriaxis said:

Between friends it's generally okay to let small point discrepancies slide. It's casual, have fun.

Quick Q though, are Storm Friends and Jezzails worth their points?

I’ve been playing a bit around with the stormfiends, and they actually are amazing if buffed by a warlock with the extra damage and mmmwp buffs.

Jezzails aren’t bad either, and with the extra damage they can  take down heroes in seconds.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Zuriaxis said:

are Storm Friends and Jezzails worth their points?

Stormfiends if used in the shooting setup (Ratling-Windlauncher-Shock\Doomflayer gauntlets) with 6-9 models who can get MMMWP + Spark buffed, yes. Melee version are alright but.. I think you'll find better options elsewhere.

Jezzails are again best used in units of 6-9. I find that I don't really need to buff them to get anything out of them and they disappear quickly if you do thanks to the low bravery and 2 wounds a piece. The most I tend to do with them is give them Deranged Inventor so they can move without losing their RR hits. You can make a case for sparking them, but that damage doesn't get added to the MW's.

Hello everyone. I have a friend who is just getting into the game and from what he wants to do skaven sounded like the best bet. 

He was specifically looking for "I want my turn to basically be volley of arrows, charge in to finish the unit off, retreat if I don't kill them, have one big guy to get anyone that break through"

I do realize nobody can retreat after fighting but otherwise what would you all reccomend for building towards a 2000 point list? 

The best I could come up with not knowing much about the skaven was 

Arch warlock

Warlock bombadier

Grey seer

3x10 stormvermin

6x Jezzails

Warp Lightning Cannon

Plague claw catapult

Hellpit abomination

Doomwheel

Shards of valagharr

Soulsnare shackles

Warp Lightning Vortex

The reasoning on the spells is since I will be the main opponent he will need to slow some of my armies down to get his shooting in.

I am looking for feedback on what may fit better for the playstyle he is looking for and has some decent competitiveness so that I can run some different stuff against it.

I should note I play Fyreslayers, Warherd, Beastclaw, Gloomspite focusing squigs and trolls, and am starting Bonesplitterz.

If you could also give some ideas for different game sizes such as 500, 1000, 1500 in addition to 2000 so that I can help him build it up it would be appreciated.

Edited by cranect
Extra clarification, forgot the grey seer

5 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I see your point, still I doubt anybody will have problem playing against somebody with 20points more.

Unlike in 40k we basically don’t have the possibility of taking models away from a unit till it fits perfectly or almost into the exact point limit.

sure you could technically take out a hero and replace it with something else (which isn’t really a problem for me) but could still be a struggle for other players who only have like those models and nothing else to replace them with.

anyways I guess you could basically say that as long as your opponent is fine with it it shouldn’t be a problem.

same goes for events or tournis.

surely (hopfully) they’ll right back to you if the disagree with your point of view.

I'm abit anti going over points. Its sort of what get that extra cp for being under 50pts is for,  the point of triumph, and that i feel rarely games are won or lost by being under 20 or 100 pts so why go over. 

That said if your friends are chill with being over, go over, but I'd let them get there extra cp if the pts your over by is enough to let you get another cp.

43 minutes ago, cranect said:

nobody can retreat after fighting

Gyrph hounds can

43 minutes ago, cranect said:

best I could come up

Clan rats are better than stormvermin in almost every way. Take 3 units of 20 atleast. 

Vermin tide is a better movenent blocker than the shards, by alot.

I'd take a grey seer over the bombadier if you have the pts. You dont need another warlock in that list IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Gyrph hounds can

Clan rats are better than stormvermin in almost every way. Take 3 units of 20 atleast. 

Vermin tide is a better movenent blocker than the shards, by alot.

I'd take a grey seer over the bombadier if you have the pts. You dont need another warlock in that list IMO.

Oops I did have a grey seer just forgot to put it in the post above. I forgot gryph hounds were even a unit and I own some. Are the clan rats any good for finishing people off or as just chaff? They would definitely delay longer. Changing to clan rats also just allows the vermintide in addition.

Edited by cranect

5 hours ago, cranect said:

Oops I did have a grey seer just forgot to put it in the post above. I forgot gryph hounds were even a unit and I own some. Are the clan rats any good for finishing people off or as just chaff? They would definitely delay longer. Changing to clan rats also just allows the vermintide in addition.

just pick a target and roll the amount of damage done or taken by either clan rats or storm vermin. The clanrats general just preform better in every metric. 

10 hours ago, mmimzie said:

I'm abit anti going over points. Its sort of what get that extra cp for being under 50pts is for,  the point of triumph, and that i feel rarely games are won or lost by being under 20 or 100 pts so why go over

Well I see your point.

and I may change my list to under or exactly what the point limits say, or just  inecrease the points in every game I’m playing against somebody, to 20p

ps: sorry for the double post

17 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I would be very careful with this one, I have never been to a tournament that would just be ok with you being 20 points over and if you turned up to my tournament 20 points over you'd have to remove a unit or would be disqualified.

In friendly game if your testing something I'd be very dubious of this too, as a lot of people are practising for tournaments, and I'd definitely be prepared to drop those 20 points.

• Like 3