5kaven5lave

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

As requested. Took about (excluding dry time for the initial Nuln wash) maybe 10 minutes per Ogor? One obviously took around 15-20 due to filing in his back which, luckily, is easy to do with an overloaded brush of super-thin paint as it just flows right in. My brush didn't have the sharpest point so that added to the time as well. Oh, and I purposefully drybrushed a bit hard of the moot green to get a glow\osl effect.

Anyway, glad you all like the theme! Planning to re-prime or strip all of my Skaven to match the scheme once I finish up another project.

20190215_141035.jpg.9ccf60e12ea199933ff9ec3ff07e845c.jpg
20190215_141100.jpg.9e8db0a159ddf7e7ca75ec88868489c0.jpg

Really nice theme! I think I've seen only 1 other person pull it off before. I would love a step by step guide for these :). It looks great for eshin themed armies especially.

Yep, I got my inspiration from another certain Skaven player who does batreps... Anyway.

Process is pretty simple: Black prime, Grey prime at 45 degrees (basically zenithal prime it, but skip the white). After that, wash with nuln oil all over, drybrush of dawnstone and then a lighter drybrush of administratum grey. Then I just paint the weapons with warpstone, drybrush them moot green and then hit the tail with carroburg crimson wash and the eyes with khorne/Mephiston red. 

• Like 2

@WoollyMammoth a few thoughts on your video :)

Spoiler

Voice tone - your voice needs something. You've a very calm and clear voice (when the mic isn't playing up) which are a big plus and you've done separate audio recording over the top which is great, cuts out a lot of background noise and distraction. You might have been a bit over the top with the muting of the music, its so quiet compared to your voice its almost more of an annoyance than a background (note its rare to get to say turn the music up a little - normally its the other way around). 
But still you've got quite a flat voice, however it might be that the base is a bit strong on your mic and that's giving you a more dulled air to your voice. It might be something to play around with. 

Once or twice you're talking about one model whilst showing a different one on screen - eg in the match up between the greater demon and your verminlord you are, at one stage (around 3 mins) zooming in on clan rats. It's a confusing disconnect. 

ARound 4:50 in and your mic does some funky voice stuff that makes you harder to hear. A shame as otherwise your voice had been pretty clear through the video. It's something that really should have been caught and re-done before uploading (a pain I'm sure when the mic does that but better than having variable audio quality

If possible it would be good to do a run through both armies before game starts. That is showing each unit and naming them in turn with a photo and their deployment (even if there's two or more of the same unit each should be mentioned and shown in context on the board). This gives viewer a clear idea what is going on with each army through the video without having to pause or check comments (remembering comments don't appear in forums and the like). It's even more helpful with summoning armies because viewers can keep track of changes.

It would be good to get a general photo of most of the board at the end/start of each turn. You could even go fancy and show the end and draw red arrows to denote where units moved where. This just helps a viewer get an idea of how the flow of the game evolves - note for these kind of photo you ideally want them taking in the same place for each turn so that players can easily compare and understand what is going on. 

End of the video you're summarising Skaven but you're showing LVO slaanesh photos. Again its a disconnect between what you are showing and what you are talking about. Remember some might be new to the army so if you're summarising and talking about stormvermin its best to show them. 

One further idea is that you talk about stats a fair few times through the video, it might be neat to overlay the warscroll card (or part of it) when talking about a specific unit and its stats or just the part that you are commenting on at the time (since some scrolls - eg Thanquil - are quite long and detailed). As GW makes all this content free now it shouldn't be an issue to display at all. It just gives people something they can reference and read and check when you're talking about numbers and values. 

Overall nice video and you've kept it quite short. A nice battlefield summary that doesn't outstay its welcome and makes it a nice way to view a battlereport without having to take a big chunk of time. 

5 hours ago, Overread said:

@WoollyMammoth a few thoughts on your video :)

Reveal hidden contents

Voice tone - your voice needs something. You've a very calm and clear voice (when the mic isn't playing up) which are a big plus and you've done separate audio recording over the top which is great, cuts out a lot of background noise and distraction. You might have been a bit over the top with the muting of the music, its so quiet compared to your voice its almost more of an annoyance than a background (note its rare to get to say turn the music up a little - normally its the other way around). 
But still you've got quite a flat voice, however it might be that the base is a bit strong on your mic and that's giving you a more dulled air to your voice. It might be something to play around with. 

Once or twice you're talking about one model whilst showing a different one on screen - eg in the match up between the greater demon and your verminlord you are, at one stage (around 3 mins) zooming in on clan rats. It's a confusing disconnect. 

ARound 4:50 in and your mic does some funky voice stuff that makes you harder to hear. A shame as otherwise your voice had been pretty clear through the video. It's something that really should have been caught and re-done before uploading (a pain I'm sure when the mic does that but better than having variable audio quality

If possible it would be good to do a run through both armies before game starts. That is showing each unit and naming them in turn with a photo and their deployment (even if there's two or more of the same unit each should be mentioned and shown in context on the board). This gives viewer a clear idea what is going on with each army through the video without having to pause or check comments (remembering comments don't appear in forums and the like). It's even more helpful with summoning armies because viewers can keep track of changes.

It would be good to get a general photo of most of the board at the end/start of each turn. You could even go fancy and show the end and draw red arrows to denote where units moved where. This just helps a viewer get an idea of how the flow of the game evolves - note for these kind of photo you ideally want them taking in the same place for each turn so that players can easily compare and understand what is going on. 

End of the video you're summarising Skaven but you're showing LVO slaanesh photos. Again its a disconnect between what you are showing and what you are talking about. Remember some might be new to the army so if you're summarising and talking about stormvermin its best to show them. 

One further idea is that you talk about stats a fair few times through the video, it might be neat to overlay the warscroll card (or part of it) when talking about a specific unit and its stats or just the part that you are commenting on at the time (since some scrolls - eg Thanquil - are quite long and detailed). As GW makes all this content free now it shouldn't be an issue to display at all. It just gives people something they can reference and read and check when you're talking about numbers and values. 

Overall nice video and you've kept it quite short. A nice battlefield summary that doesn't outstay its welcome and makes it a nice way to view a battlereport without having to take a big chunk of time. 

Thank you for critiquing my video, I appreciate the feedback.

You are saying the music was too quiet? I need to play around with the volumes a bit. Not sure about my voice I may just be flat lol. The thing at 4:50 is just a technical thing with recording my voice, I should have re-recorded that line. Still getting used to narrating.

The different model issue is because I forgot to take a couple pics. the pics are in order. I maybe should have switched back to the older picture of the units I'm talking about. If I take enough pictures it should look good. The issue with LVO is nobody has been playing skaven :( I took hundreds of pics at LVO and I can only find one shot of skaven.

I used to go over army lists at the start (you can see that in my older videos) but decided to cut that part for time. You think its worth it to leave that part in?

Taking 'end of turn' board state shots is a great idea. Also I was thinking it would be cool to take a picture of the board before movement and immediately after movement to see the exact moves. I also sometimes take short videos instead of just pictures and can get more into that. I also love the idea of showing the actual stats in the warscrolls (kind of like what I did at the start - showing the battleplan).

Another major thing is i need to get stuff to at least tabletop standard if I'm going to make more of these videos. My Skaven are barely touched in the last 4 years. The Slaanesh player is actually a really good painter and has a ton of painted armies, but he just got into Slaanesh a few weeks ago so most are still unpainted. There is a lot of good painters in the area. I'm also working on some really cool terrain pieces for my home table which will look cool in future videos.  

My goal here is to be able to check out how armies work without having to watch 1-2+ hour full battle reports. I don't like to watch dice rolls, there are a few that are exciting but most aren't. I wan't to focus on the basics; how cool the models look + a quick rundown of how the game played out.

I'm waiting for my gnawholes and balewind vortex to be delivered, but I'm really excited to try tons of comboes with them:
- skitterleap a mage (possibly with a balewind) near a gnawhole, cast spells like crazy, and teleport back through the gnawhole

- teleport an elite unit through a gnawhole in the enemy territory (stormvermins/rat ogors/stormfiends/plague monks), skitterleap a hero nearby (clawlord/moulder master/engineer/plague priest/verminlord) and tunnel an horde one (clanrats/giant rats/more plague monks) with the warp grinder even closer to the enemy. You then have a whole mini army in the enemy territory

Now I'm just thinking about which spell to cast on the vortex...

Edited by Num

@WoollyMammoth I think I'd put the army lists back in at the start. You don't have to go in depth on tactics and details every time unless the model is going to feature heavily in the review (eg a new model or one that performs a really impressive/key role later in the battle); but introduce each unit present in the game. It helps orientate people as to what each side has and for new people, or those not familiar to a faction, it gives them a nice easy reference to show what everything is.

I think working with stills gives you a bonus in that you don't get wobbly camera syndrome and when I've seen videos done of games that were recorded, rather than games which were made for video; there's often a lot of hands in the way or unclear dice rolling (they show the roll but you can't actually easily see or read the dice) or wobbling around. I think I'd stick with stills for most of your work as its providing a good summary of the battle without getting bogged down. 

If you want to do before and after movement phase consider getting a tripod and setting it up. You can pop the camera on and off it through the game, but you can put it on the tripod each time so that all the movement display shots come from the same angle and same position. This makes it ever so much easier for people to follow the match, because each photo shows the same position of the terrain and you can more easily track how things have moved and performed and the flow of the game.

And yeah I agree about getting things painted up, that helps a lot; but you can work on that on the side and keep improving the videos as you go on. Must say it was really nice to see the FW Slannesh greater demon on a table, unique models like that in use are really great to see. Esp since FW does a generally poor job of showing how big some of their models are (a single shot next to a marine is ok but they really would benefit on some showing them off in a battle type photo). 

2 hours ago, Xelotath said:

@Gwendar those rat ogres look fantastic! How do you think you will tackle bigger things like the screaming bell. Would love to see a verminlord with that scheme! 

Also how are you going to base them? 

Thanks! I think it will still apply well no matter the model, but the screaming bell will probably be harder to pull off properly compared to a Verminlord, which I plan to re-paint all of mine this way starting with the Warpseer. I think it's just about getting the right balance of the color vs the greyscale.

As for basing, I haven't completely decided, but most likely it will be my go-to of sand + grey + drybrushing lighter grey, probably add some dead grass at least. I don't really think a colorful base will work and may just pull attention away from the model itself.

26 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Bombardier inflicted 11MW on himself after he rolled 1 to hit on his first shooting phase...

Yeah, they really did nothing to encourage overcharging that shot unless he's close to death. I think I would still prefer him over a standard warlock engineer, but I don't often see myself overcharging him.

Overcharging is the risk - its a big reward but at the same time a big risk for skaven. In general one should always approach using any overcharge ability as a last-ditch effort of the model. Ergo even if its early game expect to lose the model. 

That way if you lose it you're already expecting it and if you don't its a bonus. 

I just played a game of aos 1500we where playing border wars and well He had his seraphons facing against my mixed skaven of.

after finishing to set up his u it’s first, he chose to take the first turn, to try and snipe my Verminlord warbringer of the table with the bastiladon, which thankfully didn’t happen, although he still suffered 6wounds.

in my first turn I just ran forward and buffed my Stormvermins up with mystic shield and death frenzy. (Which they in the end didn’t needed).

the roll of went to the favor of the seraphon player, which he chose to take the turn again, and well started moving towards my unit of clanrats which were nervously listening to the chitter-talk of my Grey seer while protecting two whole warpflamer weapon teams.

he then charged his whole army into my clanrats and well killed of 26of them, thankfully my clanrats were all inspired by the robes my grey seer was wearing and so considered to stay in combat. 

in my second turn, the Verminlord warbringer the elite red guard from Queek Headtaker and the clawlord, charged his bastiladon who dared to eat some of my pity clanrats,

before that though my 2warpflamers managed to burn-kill 15Saurus guards which where rocking with the battailon he took and a hero a 2+save, but both died trough the treacherous grey seer, who definitively had his paws on those engines. (I rolled two ones😂)

in the combat phase I choose to go first with my Stormvermins who where buffed by the Verminlord  and the clawlord, with which they where putting out 3attacks hitting on 3s and wounding on 2 while rerolling wound and got rolled of 1. And well they killed of a whole unit of 5saurus guard who also where rocking a 2+ save ignoring my rend and the bastiladon.

leafing only his slann, a saurus hero on foot, and the saurus hero on the carnosaurus.

sadly his saurus hero on foot was slaughtered afterwards by my very mad Warbringer who was thirsting for blood, using his commandtrait which gave him +3 attacks to every melee weapon he has.

In the third turn, I won priority and chose to go first, which lead to the death of his Slann who funnily said died twice.

having only his carnosaurus left on the field, who got stuck in with my clanrats, he surrendered to the might of clan mors and well we shaked hands.

thoughts:

so I would say that the winners of my armie where the clanrats.

I know they didn’t really do much except for dying but, they where probaly the unit who kept my warpflamers alive, who then killed of his unstoppable force of saurus guards.

The flamers are nice too, they don’t look like thread but can put a lot and i really mean a lot of damage out, against units that have a wound characteristic of 1-2 and at least 5models.

the Stormvermins, are still very costly but when buffed right they will tear trough any units.E28EE16C-1159-405E-8C3A-D75DE39C2F2B.jpeg.c589c56304a77af2be26a79475dca119.jpeg

2second turn of the skaven

946DCA5C-7A17-4961-93AA-32FF0830BBAC.jpeg.8ac374a05d5d095ab3c74f1b04d292ef.jpeg

3rd turn of the skaven.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

Great report Skreech, thanks for posting it. Your success with warpfire throwers is making me consider taking them against my friend's Daughters army...

What's going on with that Bastiladon in the picture of your friend's first turn? It looks awesome!

Edited by Kirjava13

35 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Great report Skreech, thanks for posting it. Your success with warpfire throwers is making me consider taking them against my friend's Daughters army...

What's going on with that Bastiladon in the picture of your friend's first turn? It looks awesome!

Well, if I’m not mistaken or better said understood him right, he used one of those plastic dinosaurs minis you can usually buy in a museum, and converted it with some parts left over from his seraphon armie.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

So played my game vs. Stormcast today, Focal Points in Ulgu. We called it at the end of round 4, 19-10. I stormed into a early lead but couldn’t sustain it due to lack of bodies (played pure Skryre so no Clanrats). I’ll condense it down to a few +s and -s. 

+ Grey Seer on Balewind with the Warp Lightning Vortex is seriously dangerous. That spell did so many MWs. My magic phases with an Arch-Warlock and Bombardier were dominant.

+ 3x WLCs were racking up the MWs. I made the mistake of trying to pile it all into a Stardrake with the 4+ MW save and he ended up soaking up at least 40 in total before he died due to amazing dice. I should’ve focussed on smaller units to whittle down bodies which would’ve helped me take objectives. 

- I overcharged too much. Some are safe, like the Warlock ones where you can use a shard to reroll, or the Doomwheel one but I needed to not get carried away by all the beers I had and keep it sensible until I’m at death’s door. 

- Stormfiends. My dice were awful (both me and my opponent agreed) but they did horribly. I feel the new Warpfire Projectors are great anti-horde but vs. elite they really struggle. That 4+ to hit is a real obstacle, or at least it was for me today. 

So I feel I’ll do a lot better as I get used to it a lot better and I settle into the book, but Skryre without Clanrats is gonna be a tough sell. 

Edited by 5kaven5lave