5kaven5lave

Just as a side note for anyone who likes the black library books for inspiration... Hamilcar is wrongly titled! It’s a story about an amazing Arch Warlock older and more powerful than time that’s on a quest to discover the secrets of reforging. Genuinely got so much inspiration for conversions and paintschemes from that book! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

Just as a side note for anyone who likes the black library books for inspiration... Hamilcar is wrongly titled! It’s a story about an amazing Arch Warlock older and more powerful than time that’s on a quest to discover the secrets of reforging. Genuinely got so much inspiration for conversions and paintschemes from that book! 

It sounds very familiar.

probably the right book for Ikitt claw

49 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It sounds very familiar.

probably the right book for Ikitt claw

And here’s me trying not to spoil it ;) 

also in the book, the dopest assassin backstory, the stormvermin hook they should have jumped on and so much more cool Skaven trickery 

What lists have folks used in 1000 point games? What units do you include?

I thought about this:

1 Arch Warlock

1 Warlock Bombardier

20 Clanrats

20 Clanrats

6 Warplock Jezzails

1 Warp Lightning Cannon

960 points

thoughts?

Edited by Congratz

43 minutes ago, Congratz said:

1Clawlord, 80Clanrats, 40Stormvermins

43 minutes ago, Congratz said:

I thought about this:

1 Arch Warlock

1 Warlock Bombardier

20 Clanrats

20 Clanrats

6 Warplock Jezzails

1 Warp Lightning Cannon

960 points

thoughts?

Looks interesting, although I’m not sure if 40Clanrats will be enough to screen that deepstrike theme many armies have right now

1 hour ago, Congratz said:

I normally run the following:

Allegiance: Skaventide
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Verminous Valour 
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (160)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 102

80 bodies (though keep in mind no BS immunity here so watch deployment), survivable hero, WLC sniping and MMMWP + Vigordust on the Doomwheel gets it down to 2's\3's re-rolling all fails. I usually just use sparks for cast\dispel re-rolls but if I can use it on the Doomwheel that needs to kill a priority target I will.

And WLV because, well, WLV. AW is a great pick to cast it with due to the re-roll and the +1 from a Gnawhole.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kramer said:

Aaaaaand ya SOLD ME!

Hey Folks,   BatRep incoming: Skaventide Mix vs. Spiderfang; Ulgu; Shifting Objectives

I tried to push magic to the limit. I fielded not 1, not 2, but 3, yes, 3 Screaming Bells. So glorious. First, I had my greyseer on foot cast the Spellportal at my general's feet. Second, I maxed out at +4 to cast for my Lightning Vortex with my general's trait, having 2 bells hit the +1 casting bonus ( I just huddled my general next to a Gnawhole and had my bells all overlap each other). That was turn 1 from downtown (18'' spellportal + 26" vortex + approx 6'' of the other vortex models). Geez. I didn't really care to say too much about the rest of the game other than it being loads of fun. I did lose due to time constraints  and inability to capture points early at end of round 3 but I had almost my whole army and my opponent had 3 bracketed Big Mama Spiders. 

A few notes: 

1) Arch-Warlock +  3 units of skryre foot shooters is a beast. Very points efficient and mobile, especially behind an equally mobile unit of clanrat chaff. Dont underestimate the power of Acolytes with +1 damage. 

2) Jezzails are great with at least 6. Runs independent of the army. A great anti-caster-on-foot unit, so you can win those dispel wars at 30'' out.

3) Gnawholes+Screaming Bells are a great combo not just for the +1 cast but also the mobility. If you run your foot rats away you can always teleport your bells next to another bundle of rats at another Gnawhole so you can move the following turn.

4) Spellportal/Balewind + Plague works like a charm. Get those earlier casts of a short range spell. Recommend Spellportal with Splinter spell (will experiment later)

5) As with most magic lists, it will suffer round 1 if your opponent lets you go first. Lots of wasted damage output for a hero-phase centric army. I only did as well as I did because my opponent went first and ran the entire army towards me. 

6) My list is attached below, but I chose last minute to try Balewind instead of Cogs. 

Let me know what ya think. 

Masters_of_Magic.pdf

• Like 1

@Riff_Raff_Rascal Quite an interesting list, for sure. By now I think we all know I like 100 Clanrats minimum but I'm really liking the heavy magic so I suppose it doesn't matter in a list like yours. Our magic potential now really makes me worry what Tzeentch is going to turn into once they get an update.

When those Bells pull through on the right buffs at the right time it truly is glorious.. -1 to hit 2 turns in a row against a BoC army yesterday really sealed the deal on my win; everything hitting on 5's isn't doing much of anything, even to Clanrats. I can't imagine if I got that off 2-3 times with 3 Bells. I may try out a magic heavy list but I would have to bring in Thanquol... could be interesting.

36 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

@Riff_Raff_Rascals list got me wondering. Can different spellscaster choose the same spells? E.g. can multiple grey seers choose plague? 

Yes, but they can’t cast the same spell in the same phase.

that something only the warlock engineers(keyword) can do with the Warplightning spell if they have it 

4 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

I've got 40 points spare in my list for this weekend. Trying to decide on which endless spell to take;

Geminids
Bell of Doom
Vermintide
Pendulum

Any suggestions?

Remind me of your list again? Geminids are typically solid but I don't personally use them due to the threat of them coming back on me (although a Clanrat unit being -1 to hit isn't a big deal to me).

If you have a Warpseer and Screaming Bell, I don't think the BoD will be all that helpful.. Pendulum is always a great source of MW's and has no risk of coming back on you unless you run something in front of it. I've only used Vermintide once in conjunction with WLV to block off passage instead of using shackles and it can put out decent MW's against anything trying to walk away from the WLV.

3 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Remind me of your list again? Geminids are typically solid but I don't personally use them due to the threat of them coming back on me (although a Clanrat unit being -1 to hit isn't a big deal to me).

If you have a Warpseer and Screaming Bell, I don't think the BoD will be all that helpful.. Pendulum is always a great source of MW's and has no risk of coming back on you unless you run something in front of it. I've only used Vermintide once in conjunction with WLV to block off passage instead of using shackles and it can put out decent MW's against anything trying to walk away from the WLV.

List is below, I know alot of people swear by Geminids but I find them a bit meh, like you said if they come back in your face then it's kind of counter productive.

I had an idea of casting Skitterleap within 6" of a Gnawhole on the side, throwing either the Pendulum straight into their ranks to cause havoc and then in the movement phase use the Gnawhole to teleport back to safety in the deployment zone. 

LEADERS
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200)
- General
- Command Trait : Verminous Valour
- Lore of Ruin : Plague
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- Artefact : Suspicious Stone
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer (120)
- Lore of Ruin : Skitterleap

UNITS
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)

WAR MACHINES
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Warp Lightning Vortex (100

@TalesOfSigmar I like that idea, too bad you can't skitterleap the Bell in order to get plague off as well if you're facing a horde army, unless you put that spell elsewhere.

I think Pendulum is always the safe option, but you could try out Vermintide + WLV like I've done to hinder movement and keep them in range of the WLV for longer. I just have a bad habit of always rolling 1-2 on d6 MW's so they end up being about equal to me, but if they group things together the Pendulum will definitely be putting out more.

@gronnelg Its true it can't be both cast in one turn, however, I thought because of my low-ish model count, to compensate, I'd want to have a few tools to deal with larger blocks of enemies. The built in redundancy is great because of the chance I can't pull off my utility spells to get more range outta plague, I can instead rely on the spread out positions of my wizards. 

• Like 1

The owner of my LGS has been a long time 40k player and is looking to get into Age of Sigmar. This happened to coincide with me starting to build a Skaven army (my first venture into WH and ANY miniature gaming).  

He's mentioned a few times about putting together a league once he had his army together. Though I don't have many details, he's thrown out "Everyone will make 2 2k lists and y'know, we'll do it." 

My questions:

1. Is this a normal format?

2. How different should I make my lists if this were to be the case. 

I'm starting from literal nothing and am 60 Clanrats and 2 heroes away from having the army BUILT (not primed and definitely not painted). It would be a drag if after throwing all this stuff together, I would have to grab 120 plague monks, some Screaming Bells, and another Verminlord in order to throw together another army that's distinct enough from the first.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I may try out a magic heavy list but I would have to bring in Thanquol... could be interesting.

I had such a tough time with that. I wanted to put the big boy rat up front and center. The list would have been a fun one-trick pony, but I opted for some skryre to balance it out. Thanquol is also not really a model that I want sitting on a Gnawhole for that +1, that seems like a waste to me. But getting him to +4 to cast is just so tempting. 

22 minutes ago, KingOfSuede said:

"Everyone will make 2 2k lists and y'know, we'll do it." 

My questions:

1. Is this a normal format?

2. How different should I make my lists if this were to be the case. 

I'm starting from literal nothing and am 60 Clanrats and 2 heroes away from having the army BUILT (not primed and definitely not painted). It would be a drag if after throwing all this stuff together, I would have to grab 120 plague monks, some Screaming Bells, and another Verminlord in order to throw together another army that's distinct enough from the first.

1. I know Nashcon makes you take 2 lists, but they have to be within the same Allegiance\Faction (So, 2 Skaven lists, not 1 Skaven and one Free People or Khorne army) but I don't know believe it's a widespread thing to do.

2. They don't have to be completely distinct, but if you have the choice to pick a list after knowing your opponents, then you may want to build one more suited to Anti-Horde or combat heavy armies and another suited towards character sniping, magic, etc. It really depends on objectives as well. I stand firm that you really need 80-120 Clanrats to have a decent shot at objectives, even the ones only heroes can capture. WLC's and Jezzails are great to go after Monsters\Heroes and Plague Monks in units of 40 can get some great work done in the combat phase.

20 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

But getting him to +4 to cast is just so tempting. 

Yeah, I've only used him twice since the tome but almost every WLV cast was straight up unbindable thanks to some high rolls. If you have him equipped with a 50\50 mix he can hold his own reasonably well, but I would still throw at least 20 Clanrats up the board with him. I would opt for your route but... I'm not about to buy and paint 2 more Bells. Thanquol has to get some love every now and then and not just sit in the closet thanks to his 400 points making him impossible to fit into any competitive list.

@Gwendar I figured they'd be the same faction. I couldn't imagine strategizing between two lists when my opponent could be playing either Skaven or Beastclaw Raiders.

For ease of getting ready, I already have the models for a Skryre army and figured switching over to Verminus would be switching Skryre things out for another Verminlord and 40 Stormvermin. 

@Gwendar For Thanquol, instead of a magic centric list, try a command point farm list. His own ability allows for 3 extra command abilities to go off, combined with the Masterclan skilled manipulators trait. I've had success with Thanquol,  a Warpseer and 2 Grey Seers on foot to net command points. Give the Warpseer the Supreme Manipulator command trait and the Aetherquartz Brooch artifact from Hysh. I've used this setup as a shell to play around with the remaining points I have. So far, being able to run a unit of acolytes +6 every turn has been the beez kneez with just Thanquol and then getting at least 1 extra command point a turn makes the Warpseer's battleshock bubble a given for any horde unit I field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingOfSuede said:

For ease of getting ready, I already have the models for a Skryre army and figured switching over to Verminus would be switching Skryre things out for another Verminlord and 40 Stormvermin. 

Yeah, Warpseer is definitely an auto include in almost all cases and a Screaming Bell probably is too for heavy Clanrats\Stormvermin. In your case a Warbringer would probably be a great inclusion. I've never ran with Stormvermin, but Clanrats generally perform better and cost less points... of course if you don't have those models, Stormvermin can still be pretty great.

57 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@Gwendar For Thanquol, instead of a magic centric list, try a command point farm list. His own ability allows for 3 extra command abilities to go off, combined with the Masterclan skilled manipulators trait. I've had success with Thanquol,  a Warpseer and 2 Grey Seers on foot to net command points. Give the Warpseer the Supreme Manipulator command trait and the Aetherquartz Brooch artifact from Hysh. I've used this setup as a shell to play around with the remaining points I have. So far, being able to run a unit of acolytes +6 every turn has been the beez kneez with just Thanquol and then getting at least 1 extra command point a turn makes the Warpseer's battleshock bubble a given for any horde unit I field. 

True, when I brought him in past lists I would bring along an extra CP to start and I would often have 3-5 sitting around by the end of the game.. mostly using them to auto-run retreating Clanrats onto an objective late game.

I'm hesitant to run Acolytes in units of less than 25-30, but I think my next list will be similar to last, but dropping 3 Jezzails and 5 Acolytes to bring along a Doomwheel and see how it does. People really don't expect it and I would love to throw some buffs on it and have it be a mobile hero killer. So many ideas, so little time.