5kaven5lave

I faced a player in the Vanguard 1K event at Adepticon with 2x40 plague monks and a corruptor and some other little units (plague flails?, and allied plague drones).  I couldn't believe how nasty they hit!  Even spread out between 2 Verminlords they killed the Deceiver in 2 rounds and the Warpseer held out for another round.  Luckily I managed to get to the objectives with my big heroes first and he couldn't catch me on points.  

Only 40 more Gutter Runners and 20 Night Runners and my Deathmaster, then I'll have my super Slink Talon army ready!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I mean, you could definitely bring along warpfire instead if you wish, but I think the Ratling + Windlauncher combo will be mince apart any horde unit anyway. Remember you can split attacks, so you could split them up between the horde units and heroes. As for actual Warpfire Teams they can be a bit hard to pull off. They work better on Stormfiends due to their survivability but the Warpfire teams can have a hard time getting in range to be worth it and they're easily targeted by spells\shooting.

And no, sparks affect the whole unit, not individual weapons. You can only use 1 per phase anyway and since it affects 3 units, you could use it on a Doomwheel and the Stormfiend unit, but with it's fairly short range you will likely already have the Doomwheel elsewhere.

Extraordinary. Without words, major victory in a focal points battle vs this nagash list:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Grave-sand Timeglass 
Spirit Torment (120)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Blades
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Swords
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1470

The combination of 6 stormfiends with wins launchers and rutlings more more more wrap power or Deranged inventor are very good. My enemy begun first, with huge distance they only approach to me and mi first turn i shoot her hordes. I kill 13 skeletons, 6 Reapers and 1 wound to the Necromancer in the shoot phase. Next the charge of 20 clanrats + grey sheer kill 9 skeletons and 40 clan rats kill 5 reapers more. How he spend his first command points in First of the Mortarchs (he kill the doomwheel with only one curse of years) in the bravery phase he lose more skeletons and reapers.

In the round 2 i  win the initiative and kill skeletons + necromancer and thank's to the ability of clanrats to backing out and charse i went around the skeletons near to the tomb in order to difficult the summon of new skeletons in his turn.

In 4 round only Arkhan and Mortarchs were still alive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sartxac said:

The combination of 6 stormfiends with wins launchers and rutlings more more more wrap power or Deranged inventor are very good. My enemy begun first, with huge distance they only approach to me and mi first turn i shoot her hordes. I kill 13 skeletons, 6 Reapers and 1 wound to the Necromancer in the shoot phase. Next the charge of 20 clanrats + grey sheer kill 9 skeletons and 40 clan rats kill 5 reapers more. How he spend his first command points in First of the Mortarchs (he kill the doomwheel with only one curse of years) in the bravery phase he lose more skeletons and reapers.

In the round 2 i  win the initiative and kill skeletons + necromancer and thank's to the ability of clanrats to backing out and charse i went around the skeletons near to the tomb in order to difficult the summon of new skeletons in his turn.

In 4 round only Arkhan and Mortarchs were still alive.

Very nice to hear, sounds like you played it well. Like I said, I keep Deranged Inventor around as backup if MMMWP fails (or I'll put one buff on one unit and the other something else) so it's nice it worked out for you. When Curse of Years gets off on good rolls it definitely hurts, but I think the Doomwheel dying to it rather than a big block of 40 Clanrats is great, although you did lose a unit that would've been great at taking out Arkhan. Remember, if it means you can get the Doomwheel into range of something that needs to die, it's almost always acceptable to just let it run over your own Clanrats if it means crippling\killing something like Arkhan. 1-3 Clanrats is nothing compared to kill a High Value target like him.

Retreat and charge with Clanrats is what will win you games most of the time as I still have people that leave objectives open with a screen in front which allows Clanrats to charge the screen and retreat onto the objective and usually outnumber it. This is one reason I believe people should always try to take a 40-40-20 \40 spread of them for their resilience into mid\late game. 20-20-20 simply has no staying power and I think only performs okay in conjunction with 40-80 Monks or other hammer units in the hopes you can table them quicker.

Look forward to more reports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone had success using Rat Swarms? I have been struggling to get them to do anything useful. For a Moulder army, Giant Rats seem to be a better tarpit (and can hit back reliably), while Rat Ogors are almost as resiliant while bringing a lot more pain for approximately same points size units.

8 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Very nice to hear, sounds like you played it well. Like I said, I keep Deranged Inventor around as backup if MMMWP fails (or I'll put one buff on one unit and the other something else) so it's nice it worked out for you. When Curse of Years gets off on good rolls it definitely hurts, but I think the Doomwheel dying to it rather than a big block of 40 Clanrats is great, although you did lose a unit that would've been great at taking out Arkhan. Remember, if it means you can get the Doomwheel into range of something that needs to die, it's almost always acceptable to just let it run over your own Clanrats if it means crippling\killing something like Arkhan. 1-3 Clanrats is nothing compared to kill a High Value target like him.

Yes, my idea was run over my clanrats.

Thanks for all your advices.

2 hours ago, MasterMoulder said:

Has anyone had success using Rat Swarms? I have been struggling to get them to do anything useful. For a Moulder army, Giant Rats seem to be a better tarpit (and can hit back reliably), while Rat Ogors are almost as resiliant while bringing a lot more pain for approximately same points size units.

While not having used them personally I think it's mostly agreed to skip them in favor of big blocks of Giant Rats + Rat Ogors. Pure Moulder especially, bonus points for bringing some Wolf Rats and 1-2 HPA's

1 hour ago, Sartxac said:

Yes, my idea was run over my clanrats.

Now you have the right idea.

Edited by Gwendar

I played 1500pts today v khorne and scored a win. Stars of the show were clan rats. 1 unit of 40 with spears buffed with death frenzy and inferno blades (from ashqy, cast on a 6, +1 damage to melee attacks) were on the receiving end of a bloodthirster charge. He killed 11 rats and they ate him alive in return. On a subsequent turn my second unit of 40 armed with blades charged 6 skullcrushers. Inferno blades was again key and the skullcrushers (+3 save and 5 wounds each) went the way of the bloodthirster (although it took 2 rounds of combat).

3 stormfiends i included did very little for the second time of asking but the screaming bell and warplightning cannon are as good as everyone knows they are.

Skaven have a real feeling of synergy and power. They are also lots of fun. We both waited nervously to see if my cannon or the doomwheel would explode themselves and there was  laughter when a vigourdust injector caused max mw to my unit. 

Had a game against Dirty Gits

Gloomspite Vs Skaven: 
Random mission: Total Commitment

My List (skaven):

Spoiler

Scream Bell General: Master of Magic
      Death frenzy
Grey Seer
       Warp-gale
Warp Seer w/ Suspicious Stone
Warbringer
Claw Lord Trait: Verminous Valor

4x40 Clanrats

Endless spells:
Gravetide
Vermintide
Warp-lightning Vortex
Pendulum

1950 +1 cp

My Friends List (Gloomespite):

Spoiler

Loonboss on Mangler Squig General:big shouty
Loonboss

12xSquig Herd
40x Stabbas
40X Stabbas

Mangler Squigs

15x Boingrot bounderz
10x Loonsmasha Fanatics
5xSporesplatta Fanastics

Deployment: Ghetto map:
                                                Left flank                                                     middle                                                                              Right Flank
Boss Mangler  Mangler Squig Boingrot bounderz ---------------------- Stabbas (w/fanatics) Loonboss+Sporesplatta Stabbas+squigs

Gnawhole
40clanrats Warpseer 40clanrats ---------------------------------- 40clan rats warbringer/clawlord/greatseer/Screaming bells 40clanrats
                           Gnawhole                                                                                                                                                                      Gnawhole

Skaven First turn:
First turn I planned to focus my turns on breaking the right flank and stalling the left flank, and it went great. Bell summons a deciever who teleports in from of the squigs. Vortex lands on whole Right Flank, failing to kill spore platta's, and kills the right loonboss on my friend's first turn. and nicks both stabba units.   Vermintide moves infront of stabba (fanatics).  Double death frenzy went off on middle most clan rats. Moved everything up, and ran the clan rats up to  try to catch the fanatics. Deciever kills the squigs.  Warpseer moves up with gravetide to block the left mounted squig force. Grey seer teleports to help warpseer on the left flank.

Grot first turn:
Left flank all charges warpseer. Boingrot's are slowed by grave tide, and so only 4 can make base contact to fight. Warpseer is taken down to 6 wounds after all is said and done. Fanatics release, afraid my rats might kill his stabbas on my turn, and they kill 28 rats who double death frenzy to kill the fanatics back.   Deciever lives through stabba and sporesplatte onslot.

2-2
Ghetto map:
                                                                                                                          Stabbas          vermintide           Vortex   Sporesplatta Stabbas
  Boss Mangler /Mangler Squig/Boingrot bounderz                              12 clan rats                                         Deciever
Gnawhole       Warpseer       Gravetide                                                                                                                                   warbringer/clawlord/greatseer/Screaming bells
40clanrats Warpseer 40clanrats                                                                                                                                                                                          40clanrats
                           Gnawhole                                                                                                                                                                      Gnawhole

round 2:
Grots second turn:
Grots get the double!! Though they are all stuck in combat and get no movement phase.  Middle most stabbas try to get around remaining clan rats who are still double death frenzied, but fail and don't charge.  Vortex finish off my deciever and sporesplatta's, but keeps the stabba's from moving up and getting into charge range.  Bossmangler brings the warpseer down to 2 wounds, and he runs from combat, and onto my  forward gnawhole. 

Skaven second turn: 
Dispel grave tide, then cast it and pendulum. When combines with the orb from the warpseer and warp-gale from the grey seer i bring the boss mangler down to 1 wound remaining and the borth mangler and bounder take a beating from the pendulum.  Clanrat on left flank move up to cover the warpseer who is now orbless.  Single deathfrenzy on right most clan rats take out of the right most stabba unit,

4-7
We roll and i get 2nd turn, but i move the pendulum to kill the mangler boss, and the mangler squig. With not enough on the table, and myself already in the lead we call the game there. 

Thoughts:
Really digging the investment in endless spells and in the double death frenzy. The ability to shift threats around is quite nice, and the endless spells slowing down enemy movement dramaticly is nuts when combined with the mass of clan rats. The Spell do all the damage really.  That game the only none spell damage with warpseer and deceiver melee attacks that didn't do much, and the the right most stabba unit was killed with melee attacks.

Debating dropping the warbringer? Thoughts?

But i don't know that the death frenzy is consistent enough or strong enough on the clan rats with just a single caster using the ability.  As it stands the bell/warbring/Claw lord/80clan rats are a 26" long wall that can punch back. While the warbringer and 80 Clan rats are a less punchy wall that  is made more durable with endless spells.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

But i don't know that the death frenzy is consistent enough or strong enough on the clan rats with just a single caster using the ability.  As it stands the bell/warbring/Claw lord/80clan rats are a 26" long wall that can punch back. While the warbringer and 80 Clan rats are a less punchy wall that  is made more durable with endless spells.

Firstly Thanks for the battlereport, it was a joy reading it.

Secondly l, the warbringer, is a great Verminlord, which can buff Stormvermins and clanrats rather greatly up.

his spell the dreaded deathfrenzy can also be used on other unit like ratogres etc. And isn’t limited to only verminus units, which gives you a huge variety to choose from.

need that deathmaster to kill your foes toughest hero, who refused to die and will probably one shot your deathmaster right after, no problem deathfrenzy will solve your problem.

want a hero can be used as a sacrifice for the greater god, take a clawlord, give him the brutal fury commantrait, cast deathfrenzy send him towards Archaon or Nagash or anything else that could be dangerous to you and let the magic begin.

attack with him first (doing 6attacks) and after he has been slaughtered, just take that change to attack with your clawlord again ( and this time with 11attacks😈😈)

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone here has a good place to find Skaven Artwork?

I'm searching for Artwork for my Spellcards and Artifact Cards for my games.

I got the Inspiration from here:

I'm working on such Cards for SKaven.

I already got the spells and most of the Command Traits covered through Google.

But for Artifacts it seems difficult to find appropriate atrwork.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

15 hours ago, mmimzie said:

I dunno... I feel like since you're investing so heavily into Clanrats, you really need all the help you can get from 2 Frenzies. What did you have in mind to replace him with?

2 hours ago, TheBluMnM said:

Hey-hi fellow schemers,

Just a question about Rat Ogres and Warpfire guns - does anyone suggest outfitting 1/2 of the models with the gun, or is it a waste of time/bits since usually you want to advance with them in the movement phase?

I say it's worth it since it's just free extra attacks. They can't run and charge anyway (and thus can't shoot) unless I'm forgetting something, so that would give them more threat range, even if the guns aren't too great.

So I play against Sylvaneth a lot and the trees are annoying. Not so much that they do damage and love to eat my stormfiends (RIP), but that they can mass teleport the army over and over again whereas our Gnawholes get 1 teleport a turn and its got requirements. Assuming they don't get a nerf, what are your guys thoughts on one of these to make our stuff a little better:

1. Stormfiends with Warp Griders, or Warp Grinder Teams create a new Gnahole when they enter the battlefield. (Since Sylvaneth has multiple different ways to make new forests we should too. It works thematically.)

2. Stormfiends with Warp Grinders, or Warp Grinder Teams can "re-grind" and deep strike again after being on the battlefield. 

3. You can use Gnawholes more than once per turn.

4. An army wide spell that lets us summon a new gnawhole.  (Once per turn obviously, not like warp lightning)

I'm just tired of Skaven "kind of" doing what other armies do, but crappier. Yeah we have a deep strike like many other armies, but we can be totally screwed by the dice roll (stormfiends rolling 1 or 2) or we can take d6 mortal wounds (warp grinder team). We have a teleport like most other armies, but it's basically nerfed from day one compared to every other army since we can only use it once per turn, AND we have to be within 6", AND the hero has to be within 6", AND our Gnawholes have to be near board edge. (Seraphon twice per turn can be anywhere and go anywhere. Sylvaneth can teleport the whole army assuming they are near a forest and going to a forest. Stormcast can teleport with a dice roll with their teleport guy. Etc) 

Edited by SleeperAgent

8 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I dunno... I feel like since you're investing so heavily into Clanrats, you really need all the help you can get from 2 Frenzies. What did you have in mind to replace him with?

23 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Secondly l, the warbringer, is a great Verminlord,

So the army right now i working off either the trap of the vortex + endless spells and warpseer block if i go first, or the threat of clan rats if i go second.

I would drop the warbringer to grab the claw pack (10 stormvermin and the battalion). So it's basicly more chances to chose to go first and go more the trap route, but if i go against a lower drop list i'm now on the back foot. 

Played a game against wonders today that was loads of fun and definitely showed me the power of the clanrats and warbringer over bring plague monks, in this list specifically. With the 4 units of clan rats it was impossible to drop all my threats vs if i had say 3 20 man clan rat squads and 2 plague monk squads (cost more obvious) the plague monks would have been riddled up with shots, and while the clan rats would be left untouched the bite wouldn't be there any more. However after losing a whole rat squad and another half, i still had a 3rd and 4th with gas in the tank to go nuts on the back of double death frenzies. 

4 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

So I play against Sylvaneth a lot and the trees are annoying. Not so much that they do damage and love to eat my stormfiends (RIP), but that they can mass teleport the army over and over again whereas our Gnawholes get 1 teleport a turn and its got requirements. Assuming they don't get a nerf, what are your guys thoughts on one of these to make our stuff a little better:

1. Stormfiends with Warp Griders, or Warp Grinder Teams create a new Gnahole when they enter the battlefield. (Since Sylvaneth has multiple different ways to make new forests we should too. It works thematically.)

2. Stormfiends with Warp Grinders, or Warp Grinder Teams can "re-grind" and deep strike again after being on the battlefield. 

3. You can use Gnawholes more than once per turn.

4. An army wide spell that lets us summon a new gnawhole.  (Once per turn obviously, not like warp lightning)

I'm just tired of Skaven "kind of" doing what other armies do, but crappier. Yeah we have a deep strike like many other armies, but we can be totally screwed by the dice roll (stormfiends rolling 1 or 2) or we can take d6 mortal wounds (warp grinder team). We have a teleport like most other armies, but it's basically nerfed from day one compared to every other army since we can only use it once per turn, AND we have to be within 6", AND the hero has to be within 6", AND our Gnawholes have to be near board edge. (Seraphon twice per turn can be anywhere and go anywhere. Sylvaneth can teleport the whole army assuming they are near a forest and going to a forest. Stormcast can teleport with a dice roll with their teleport guy. Etc) 

There is a artifact that lets you make a terrain feature a gnawhole for eshin. (if you said as much sorry this is a pre bed post).

Anyway that teleporter thing just isn't our thing. We are like humans with super swingy randomness, but very high average numbers.  So we can get high average numbers that can some times fall completely flat.

Our clan rats are among some of the toughest units per pts
Plague monks are one of if not the most killy unit per pts
Warp lightning cannon is the best character sniper in the game
Warp Vortex is the best endless spell in the game
Jazails are a premo killy shooty unit.
Warpseer might be the tankiest 2 spell mage for his pts in the game?? (with artifact help of course)

We definitly have a lot going for us and things other armies simply don't have, but we are at our core a jack of all trades armies and we can only master a few:
We have teleport options C or B tier
Melee kill option S tier
Anvil options A+/S tier
Shooting options SSS tier (no one else shoots and does well)
Magic A/S tier

So you can either mix all the above or go hard on one. I think maybe stormfiends are meh??

11 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

There is a artifact that lets you make a terrain feature a gnawhole for eshin. (if you said as much sorry this is a pre bed post).

Anyway that teleporter thing just isn't our thing. We are like humans with super swingy randomness, but very high average numbers.  So we can get high average numbers that can some times fall completely flat.

Our clan rats are among some of the toughest units per pts
Plague monks are one of if not the most killy unit per pts
Warp lightning cannon is the best character sniper in the game
Warp Vortex is the best endless spell in the game
Jazails are a premo killy shooty unit.
Warpseer might be the tankiest 2 spell mage for his pts in the game?? (with artifact help of course)

We definitly have a lot going for us and things other armies simply don't have, but we are at our core a jack of all trades armies and we can only master a few:
We have teleport options C or B tier
Melee kill option S tier
Anvil options A+/S tier
Shooting options SSS tier (no one else shoots and does well)
Magic A/S tier

So you can either mix all the above or go hard on one. I think maybe stormfiends are meh??

The Eshin artefact is just ******. You can make anything a Gnawhole for one turn, but your general has to be there, and you are still limited to one teleport per turn. 

Stormfiends are indeed "meh" for their point cost. Acolytes are even worse. The problem I have is that I want to play Skryre but the battlelines are either a cheap piece of tissue paper, or 720 points of "meh". Not to mention the costs of Skryre models. 3 jezzails is $52, 1 model of Acolytes is $10 (need minimum of 5) and they both look like dogshit.

I want the army to have some differences. But lumping them all into one book and not expanding on some of the weaker clans just homogenized all the lists into 60-120 clanrats and some things after that.  I really think they should remove the battleline restrictions on all the battleline units that have them. Its such a ridiculous restriction on your army that EVERY unit has to be the same clan  and almost forces you to just take clanrats. 

And why didn't Skryre get the Verminlord Warpseer? Corruptor is Pestilens, Deceiver is Eshin, Warbringer is Verminus....

Edited by SleeperAgent

1 minute ago, SleeperAgent said:

And why didn't Skryre get the Verminlord Warpseer? Corruptor is Pestilens, Deceiver is Eshin, Warbringer is Verminus....

He's masterclan He is the ONLY masterclan verminlord.  Verminlord isn't really Skyre's style like stormfieds are moulder for example. 

2 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

Acolytes are even worse.

This guys are great, vigor dust, spark, more-more warp power.  All hitting on 2s, rerolling hit and wounds, d3+1 damage. On top of that they have a huge threat range getting to run and shoot means using the auto advance 6" command ability they have some real threat range. 

40 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

This guys are great, vigor dust, spark, more-more warp power.  All hitting on 2s, rerolling hit and wounds, d3+1 damage. On top of that they have a huge threat range getting to run and shoot means using the auto advance 6" command ability they have some real threat range. 

Exactly one of many reasons why I’m taking them to a tournament tomorrow.

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

The Eshin artefact is just ******. You can make anything a Gnawhole for one turn, but your general has to be there, and you are still limited to one teleport per turn. 

Stormfiends are indeed "meh" for their point cost. Acolytes are even worse. The problem I have is that I want to play Skryre but the battlelines are either a cheap piece of tissue paper, or 720 points of "meh". Not to mention the costs of Skryre models. 3 jezzails is $52, 1 model of Acolytes is $10 (need minimum of 5) and they both look like dogshit.

I want the army to have some differences. But lumping them all into one book and not expanding on some of the weaker clans just homogenized all the lists into 60-120 clanrats and some things after that.  I really think they should remove the battleline restrictions on all the battleline units that have them. Its such a ridiculous restriction on your army that EVERY unit has to be the same clan  and almost forces you to just take clanrats. 

Question @SleeperAgent. What do you want to be able to do? I assume if you want to go skryre you will have at least one unit of stormfiends. 3 dont do much so it would have to be 6-9. Thatbleaves you with 2 battleline to find. Could you not convert 2xunits of 5 acolytes? (I agree with @mmimzie and @Skreech Verminking that they are amazing in decent numbers). 120 points for both of them and then you can do anything you want with the rest of the army. 

Or is it that you want 1 clanrat/giant rats unit as a screen but not 3? 

Personally i think the battleline restrictions are ok. They make things interesting and list building is always a feast of options. 

Edited by Laststand
Typo

8 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Question @SleeperAgent. What do you want to be able to do? I assume if you want to go skryre you will have at least one unit of stormfiends. 3 dont do much so it would have to be 6-9. Thatbleaves you with 2 battleline to find. Could you not convert 2xunits of 5 acolytes? (I agree with @mmimzie and @Skreech Verminking that they are amazing in decent numbers). 120 points for both of them and then you can do anything you want with the rest of the army. 

Or is it that you want 1 clanrat/giant rats unit as a screen but not 3? 

Personally i think the battleline restrictions are ok. They make things interesting and list building is always a feast of options. 

Realistically I want to be able to use Grey Seer (with or without bell) and a verminlord (maybe some other non-skryre heros). The only way to do this is with 3 units of Clanrats or Stormvermin. And those units look nothing like my Skryre ones. I want a decent unit of battleline thats between paper acolytes and costly stormfiends.

And more importantly, I want ALL metal miniatures retired. 

Edited by SleeperAgent