5kaven5lave

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Num said:

Hello all

I have a weird event coming up. It is a double (2v2), 500 points each. But it seems that we are going to be paired randomly. So I have to design a 500pts list that could match with about anything...

Do you think that it is worth specializing still? At the risk of being matched with someone specialized the same way?

• For instance horde: 1 clawlord, 80 clanrats. Or 1 master moulder, 80 giant rats
  • Or snipe with a warp-lightning cannon
  • Or magic with WLV, balewind and wizards jumping from gnawholes to gnawholes

Or should I try diversifying instead?

• 40 clanrats + snipe + magic
  • 40 giant rats + 4 rat ogors + master moulder

I am lost... I never played 2v2 before (let alone with random pairing) so I don't really know how to approach this

Thanks for your input

I don't have any experience in such strange 500 points 2v2 matches but your "40 Giant Eats + 4 Eat Ogors + Master Moulder"-list sounds decent.

I am more of the Skryre-Type and would run the following list:

Spoiler
Allegiance: Skaventide
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- General
- Trait: Overseer of Destruction
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning

Battleline
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Units
1 x Ratling Gun (80)
1 x Ratling Gun (80)
1 x Ratling Gun (80)

Total: 460 / 500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 24

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Num said:

Hello all

I have a weird event coming up. It is a double (2v2), 500 points each. But it seems that we are going to be paired randomly. So I have to design a 500pts list that could match with about anything...

Do you think that it is worth specializing still? At the risk of being matched with someone specialized the same way?

• For instance horde: 1 clawlord, 80 clanrats. Or 1 master moulder, 80 giant rats
  • Or snipe with a warp-lightning cannon

Or should I try diversifying instead?

• 40 clanrats + snipe + magic
  • 40 giant rats + 4 rat ogors + master moulder

I am lost... I never played 2v2 before (let alone with random pairing) so I don't really know how to approach this

Thanks for your input

Mmh how about taking an Warlock engineer or bombardier with a warplightning cannon and 40Clanrats as meatshields.

• Thanks 1

@Gwendar

Been looking again at your list and really like it, didn’t really get the impact of the Skryre traits and artefacts at first look. Do you think they would work on a Bombardier or Engineer or are they just an even squishier version of the Arch-Warlock?

I could bring in an Arch-Warlock but I’d have to ditch Vermintide and 5 Acolytes which are kind of the reason why I’d be taking the traits etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Num said:

A WLV at 500 would be absolutely devasting and many people will probably not have the tools to unbind it. You have to be careful of your partners units however.. If you get matched with a combat oriented list you'll have a harder time placing it. Note that if you brought one, your 500 points would look pretty barebones: Grey Seer (most reliable low point caster to get off the WLV), 2x20 Clanrats for battleline and the Vortex. If that doesn't go off, you won't be doing much. 

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

@Gwendar

Been looking again at your list and really like it, didn’t really get the impact of the Skryre traits and artefacts at first look. Do you think they would work on a Bombardier or Engineer or are they just an even squishier version of the Arch-Warlock?

I could bring in an Arch-Warlock but I’d have to ditch Vermintide and 5 Acolytes which are kind of the reason why I’d be taking the traits etc. 

I would honestly invest the extra 60 points to get the much tankier Arch-Warlock and his Warpstorm spell is still great (I Just would never risk overcharging it in this list since he's so important). 

I say give it a shot and see how it works for you. The engineer/bombardier have a lower profile so you may be able to hide them a bit easier if you feel the need. Vermintide is good but I find it best used in combination with a WLV and even then much of your damage here is coming from WLV, other magic and shooting. 5 Acolytes are not worth buffing if that's why you want to bring them.. They're really just used as a Skryre battleline filler to hold home objectives. If you want to buff them, you really need 20-30 to get anything done with them in my opinion. 

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

A WLV at 500 would be absolutely devasting and many people will probably not have the tools to unbind it. You have to be careful of your partners units however.. If you get matched with a combat oriented list you'll have a harder time placing it. Note that if you brought one, your 500 points would look pretty barebones: Grey Seer (most reliable low point caster to get off the WLV), 2x20 Clanrats for battleline and the Vortex. If that doesn't go off, you won't be doing much. 

I would honestly invest the extra 60 points to get the much tankier Arch-Warlock and his Warpstorm spell is still great (I Just would never risk overcharging it in this list since he's so important). 

I say give it a shot and see how it works for you. The engineer/bombardier have a lower profile so you may be able to hide them a bit easier if you feel the need. Vermintide is good but I find it best used in combination with a WLV and even then much your damage here is coming from WLV, magic and shooting. 5 Acolytes are not worth buffing if that's why you want to bring them.. They're really just used as a Skryre battleline filler to hold home objectives. If you want to buff them, you really need 20-30 to get anything done with them in my opinion. 

Cool, I’m gonna stop meddling now and go with this tonight and see how I get on. Vigordust can also be used on Monks or Clanrats so that gives some options if my Acolytes get wiped out.

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Deranged Inventor  
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector  
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
Grey Seer (120)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
25 x Skryre Acolytes (300)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@5kaven5lave I like it.. You have your bases covered nicely. I'd recommend the Grey Seer brings along Warpgale or Skitterleap.. But I've had some use age out of Plague whenever I don't bring Warpfire Throwers/Thanquol. 

Ah yeah, I always bring Skitterleap but forgot to put it up. Hoping the Acolytes can mess stuff up with a Clanrat screen stopping them getting charged. 

20 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

General rules question about Warpstone Sparks:

For the wizard re-roll, do you have to spend it before you cast any spells? Can’t see anything in the wording that you can’t spend it after a flop. 

I believe you can use warpstone sparks abilities at any time in the phase, the wording doesn't say you have to select the hero before you cast your spells. Usually if an ability requires you to do that it'll specifically say so.

38 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Ah yeah, I always bring Skitterleap but forgot to put it up. Hoping the Acolytes can mess stuff up with a Clanrat screen stopping them getting charged. 

Its worth noting that you may want to have another 20 screen from deepstrikes (if needed) by sandwhiching the Acolytes. That's just some advice coming from someone who plays against Shadowstrike with 6 Ripperdactyls and that many Acolytes would be a nice target. 

Also, yes, you use the spark after you make your roll and re-roll the cast. Then you roll to see if you take damage. 

Hi all,

was just wondering if anyone had any nice success with painting the warp Lightning vortex at all. I have tried s couple of thing but just not happy with its look. Any ideas greatly received please.

also reading through this it seems most people are going for the Verminlord Warpseer- is this generally the best option before I build mine? Many thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. All things considered (including me leaning towards magic rather than shooting or horde), I'm down to 2 lists:

- Screaming bell (master of magic + suspicious stone OR skavenbrew + warpgale) + 40 clanrats (or giant rats) + warp lightning vortex

- Arch warlock (verminous valor + esoteric + chain spell) + balewind vortex + 40 clanrats + warp lightning vortex

I think I'm going to have fun :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, deumosd said:

Hi all,

was just wondering if anyone had any nice success with painting the warp Lightning vortex at all. I have tried s couple of thing but just not happy with its look. Any ideas greatly received please.

also reading through this it seems most people are going for the Verminlord Warpseer- is this generally the best option before I build mine? Many thanks

Well the great thing about the Verminlord warpseer is it’s comandabillity, giving you quit a nice battleshock immunity aura for a cup.

next to that he can generate a cup per turn on a 3+ and is able to even multiply this to D3 if you roll a 6.

And since we’re at it, the Verminlord has the Masterclan keyword meaning he’ll be gaining commandpoints back on a 5+when he spends them, making him a great cup pool.

And if your afraid loosing him, don’t worry he can firstly reroll all saverolls, and has a feel no pain on a 5+ and giving him the weirdstone(?) something artefact will grant you another 5+Aftersave making him an ideal almost impossible to kill general.

Are you not sure if this amazing cp farming monster is able to kill something in combat, I can Garantie you that he will be doing tones of damage, which is rather unusual for a Wizard, but hey we are the chosen of the great horned rat true (and only) children of chaos.

If we compare this mighty Verminlord with the others, I would probably say that he is one of the better ones.

Now don’t get me wrong the other verminlords are all great in their own way. For example the Verminlord warbringer is a beast in combat, the Deceiver is a fantastic herohunter, while having some good spells in his claws, making all of the verminlords in some way unic.

if you’re going for a mixture of skavenhorde units while wanting to cast as many spells/endless spells as possible I really would recommend him to you In any other case, just go for the Verminlord you like the most.

2 hours ago, michu said:

I don't kow if someone checked the new version of bases guide, but Skryre Acolytes are now on 32mm.

Where are you seeing this? It doesn't seem that I can find the Core Rules with Base sizes FAQ anymore.. at least on the english site. Is Thanquol still on his 170 or did they actually switch him to the 90mm he was shipping with which... would be absurd.

34 minutes ago, deumosd said:

Hi all,

For the Warp-Lightning Vortex, it takes drybrushing exceptionally well like all warpstone. I usually paint warpstone with a dark\medium tint green, hit it with a green wash and then drybrush a light green (usually moot green) on top of that. I posted some rat ogres some few pages back and do the weapons this way if you want to take a look.

As for the Warpseer, he's generally the best candidate for a few reasons; He generates CP's each of your hero phases, he is nigh un-killable with the right combination of command trait + artifact (someone did the math on this 1-2 pages back) and has a pretty incredible spell with Dreaded Warpgale. He also has a gigantic BS immunity bubble.. all this for only 260 points. The others will be better in other roles of course but for an all-purpose army he tends to be an auto-include.

Edited by Gwendar

Today I played my first two 1,000pt games with Skaven. (Having changed from my first AOS army which was stormcast) 

I used slightly different lists in each game as I'm trying out things to see how they might perform on a table rather than on paper. My opponent running Khorne was doing the same thing although he is a long time Khorne player and was focusing on the new rules. Both games were "battle for the pass". Apologies for the scrappy batrep. I didn't keep proper notes turn by turn. 

Game 1 

Warlock engineer with vigordust injector and deranged inventor

Grey Seer with death fenzy

Clawlord with brutal fury

40xclanrats

20xclanrats

3 stormfiends (ratling cannon, warpfire,doomflayers)

2x Rat ogres

V

Mighty lord of khorne on juggernaught

2x Slaughterpriest

Bloodsecrator

6x mighty skull crushers

20 Blood reavers

My opponent let me go first so I buffed the 20 clanrats with death frenzy and gnash, gnaw then sent them through a gnawhole to claim the left hand objective. His skullcrushers were stuck going single file through two buildings and i had a 9" charge which would have locked them up for a big chunk of the game. I failed it and on his turn he stomped the clan rats flat.

Things went much better on the right where the block of 40 tied up the objective nicely. I had expected great things from the stormfiends but I placed them badly to start and they took time to get in the game. Once they did, the ratling cannon did 90% of the work buffed with a warpspark and the injector.

Things went back and forth and the clawlord got involved to kill the bloodsecrator who had come up far too close to me. At this point i was happily ahead on points. Ultimately however 2 things turned the game. First I had nothing that could live with the skull crushers. Their mw on the charge was brutal even when only 2 or 3 got in and 6 of them with +3 saves and buckets of attacks was to much to manage. They trampled the rat ogres and took my home objective.

The second thing was summoning. 10 bloodletters appeared and wrecked 2 out of 3 stormfiends (who had just been bloodboiled for 5mw) and 5 flesh hounds arriving stopped a super sneaky move where my engineer hopped though a gnawhole and took his undefended home objective. 

It was a close game until the end when the summoning happened but I lost 13 -18. 

Game 2 was a disaster. I swapped out the stormfiends and engineer for a master Moulder and hellpit abomination. My opponent switched out his priests, bloodsecreator and half the reavers to take  a combo of 2 skullcannons buffed by wrathmongers for extra shots.

They decimated my clan rats helped by rolling double 6s for damage twice. The skull crushers crushed more skulls until they made the mistake of charging the hellpit abomination. They did 9mw on the charge and finished it off in combat but it came back to life with 2 wounds and killed half of them fighting at its worst profile!

I had little left on the table by then other than a lone master Molder and 2 rat ogres and we called it not long after

Conclusions

Clan rats are actually really good. Lovely little tar pits.

Stormfiends were ok but not amazing and certainly not 260pts worth. One game doesnt decide it and i love the models so i'll play them again. The temptation though is to take weapon teams instead. 

A master moulder is only worth the points if i am going to get a proper sized pack of rat ogres.

Gnawholes give interesting table options but also tempt towards high risk strategies (not a bad thing with Skaven?)

Skaven were super fun to play, more so than stormcast which I found too point and click. I am going to buy a HPA and the thanquol kit in the cupboard is next up for building. 

On to a proper army list and the next battles! 

• Like 2

@Laststand appreciate the report. I prefer Stormfiends over weapon teams but they both have strengths and weaknesses I suppose. I would only ever take fiends in units of 6-9 to maximize Ratlings/Windlaunchers. Individual ratling gun teams are nice in the since that they're.. Well, individual and generally attract less fire than a big unit of Fiends. However, I find that they do less output on average compared to 6-9 Fiends

• Like 1

10 hours ago, deumosd said:

Thanks for the feed back guys. 

Verminlord warpseer it is!

also thanks the the painting tips. Thanks again you are stars.

Funny thing is I thought the same but did a poll on it. In the first week it was quite close.... after that the warpseer pulled ahead. Corrupter was second place the others tied for third and the Verminking only got one vote. I think the Corrupter mainly because there is a realm weapon that does crazy damage on a six to hit. Which with 10 attacks and a reroll hit rolls (can even reroll hits if you're a gambling (wo)man) has great potential.