5kaven5lave

1 hour ago, michu said:

New article about our favourite non-existing ratmen. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/05/mar-5-skaven-tips-from-tom-mawdsleygw-homepage-post-2/ (considering the new look of WHCommunity site, Black Legion invaded not only Vigilus)

The skaven articles well is somewhat interesting to read although nothing really worth knowing.

Instead the article of the arrival Fromm Abaddon just seems way more interesting especially those new guns the havocs are carrying.

I can firmly taste that new conversion project  for a rattling gun😛

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • LOVE IT! 2

So I have returned back through the gnaw hole after my own trip to Heat 1 with the list I posted up a few days ago, for those of you who missed it here is it again:

Warlock engineer, overseer of destruction
Grey Seer, Snoutgrovel robes,  Plague
Screaming Bell, Howling warpgale
Vermin lord warbringer 

X3 X40 clanrats
x20 clanrats
x40 plague monks, twin blades
x3 rattling guns
x10 gutter runners

Gonna do a quick summary of my games and then a reflection on my list and what I may change going forward.

Game one I was playing Russ Veal with a scream bomb FEC blisterkin army at shifting objectives. Turns out playing a Masters player at a game I hadn't played much since September is not a great preparation for game 1. I deployed most of my army reasnobly far back so as not to get wiped off the board first turn. This meant he took the objectives early but I hadn't taken any harm before my turn. I moved up and did some serious damage with the ratling guns but crucially forgot about running with my units until I it was too late (really not played AoS for a while). I then failed charges with my plague monks and warbringer meaning I could finish of some of the units like I had planned. I managed to get the double turn but due to me forgetting to run in the prior turn couldn't get on the objectives/charge with most of my units. In his go he then screamed about 100 rats of the table in 1 go and after losing the next turn roll of I couldn't reover from their. In summary if I had of played this game at the end of the event it may have gone a lot better for me but learned how brutal the rattlings guns can be.

game 2 played a really nice guy called Matthew with a great looking legion of Nagash army with Nefarrata, 2 big scaries of zombie dragons, 40 skellies, x2 units of 5 wolves and a necromancer. We were playing places of arcane power, he took first turn an immediately moved his 2 dragons and necromancer on to the objectives.  I take 2 off him by the end of turn 2 with the verminlord and ratling guns wiping out one of the zombie dragon and the screaming bell and clanrats taking the other off the necromancer. meanwhile some plague monks and gutter runner where trying to kill the other zombie dragon who had the 3+ ignore modifiers save. End of turn 3 saw me take out the other zombie dragon once a clanrat unit joined the fray and take that objective,  however my screaming bell that was on full wounds at the time got wounded by nefferatta and then rolled a 6 and dies instantly. We ran out of time a turn later with it unlikely anyone was going to shift either off the objectives. I ended uo losing 11-10 although would have most likely won it if we had 1 more turn. Great game, cool army. Got one of my most sporting and best army votes. 

Game 3 was against josh with trees, with Ariel, drycha, the named treeman, treeman ancient and some dryads and funkier looking dryads. We were playing the startstrike (?). First turn his drycha popped up behind me and killed 36 plague monks with he shooting attack which was horrific, but the ratling guns turned around a blew her off the board in return. I positioned stuff round the board with my superior numbers and quantity of units. Irritatingly all the objective landed in the middle where his units where. The rest of the game was spent trying to keep his army contained while getting enough number on the objectives to deny him points and win me points. Was a close game but saw through with the win in the end. Josh got my other best army and most sporting vote. Later learned him and Matt from my other game had actually came down together.

Day 2 opened with a game against storm casts in the better part of valour.  His list had the big guy on dragon, a tooty horn guy, another hero or 2 who did some buffs, 20 sequitors, 10evocators, gryph hound. Felt good about the game going into it as I had a good numbers advantage, I managed however to miss the part about burning objectives and so what I though would be a easy turn 2 where I just moved and collected his objectives turned into a game of just defending 2 of my objectives (he managed to burn 1 of mine, not realise that he could). I managed to hold out then inflict massive damage on his sequitors and evocators (don't see all the fuss about these guys with skaven). At the end of the game ended up seeing out the win in relative comfort.

Last game was also against trees with a similar list to last time, can remember the scenario but it was 4 objectives, 2 in the middle worth 2, home one worth 1 and enemy one worth 4. I had learnt my lesson from last game and managed to stop ariel and drycha doing much damage. In the end my superior numbers got me through in relative ease despite losing all of the roll offs.

Overall once I remembered how to play this game again and got used to the army thought I worked quite well. I felt like I am missing some long range fire power that I used to get from the mortars so will probably jig it around to get a catapult or 2 in their. Ratling guns were more impressive than I thought they would be as well. The warbringer was somewhat underwhelming, may have used him badly but never really got much benefit out of him beyond his stats as a vermin lord. So may just put the warpseer in next just for the survivability. Although didn't really need command points much throughout the whole event. Will probably go into more detail and a revised list  later, but in the end finished 37th and qualified for the final if I want to go so have many more month to practice and refine.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, michu said:

Ooooh, I didn't think about that!! Perfect. Now I need something for Warpfire Throwers as I don't want to buy anything on ebay...

Warpgrinder team and left over parts from a Stormfiends.

cut of the chunk of warpstone and attack the head of one of the flamer from the stormfiends sets.

also works very good with bits of 40k like a rotary cannon or the new mini gun the csm havoc is holding

7 minutes ago, michu said:

I was thinking about that but didn't want to deal with metal miniature. Is it hard to saw off the drill?

I've done it to make a ratling gun before. A small hobby saw is your friend. Not like the metal is steel or mithril or anything.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, michu said:

Ooooh, I didn't think about that!! Perfect. Now I need something for Warpfire Throwers as I don't want to buy anything on ebay...

Maybe you already had lots of Skaven but I couldn't imagine starting the army without ebay! between OOP stuff Island of Blood, cheap lots of clanrats, all the Carrion Empire stuff being parted out right now, so much webstore only stuff and GW being out of stock of MOST skaven models (at least in the US), ebay is a skaven players greatest resource.  I started collecting Skaven about 5 months ago and currently at 6400 points for <$500 USD (of course that involved some buying large lots and selling what I didn't want). I did get lucky by buying most of the stuff before the battletome was announced.

I have the feeling that a additional vermilord may be better than a greyseer in most cases. I have to think about it to be sure. (and , BTW, the mini is amazing, plus the psychological effect on the oponent seeing more than one vermilord is just lol)

What's is your point of view?

12 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I have the feeling that a additional vermilord may be better than a greyseer in most cases. I have to think about it to be sure. (and , BTW, the mini is amazing, plus the psychological effect on the oponent seeing more than one vermilord is just lol)

I only own 1Verminlord right now, do you think 3hell pit abominations  do the trick to😁😈

46 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I have a Verminlord Corruptor (from the beging, i was playing mono pestilens when aos started), a warpgnaw verminlord (summoned in the first turn from the bell my last game and was MVP) and i just bought and builded a warpseer, i think he will be my general most of my game.

I have a box of clan rats still to build, but for now i do not need them so i was thinking to convert them in 9 jezzails (using 18 of them) what you think? I do not know how to do it, one of my friends give me the krooks guns from 40k, but still do not know how to attack skaven arms on those guns and how to make shield big enough. Any suggestion?

58 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

The warpseer + another verminlord seems to be rising in popularity from what I've seen. It offers tons of support, magic, battleshock immunity, bonus command points, etc. I think it'll be better than a grey seer at higher point games, but at lower obviously you'll need something cheaper which is where the grey seer shines. I may need to get another verminlord box for a warpseer, I only have the verminking himself. 

@AliKing Fun battle report, thanks for posting. I agree ratling guns are surprisingly very good and also underrated, they've been doing great for me as well with the weapon team rerolling trait. 😄

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

Nah, the hero keeps running ;) The clanrats and stormvermin however run and then throw themself back unto their deaths :D From the warscroll:

552569461_ScreenShot2019-03-05at14_34_29.png.45b354c488bb766820916bf14dbec72e.png

And just to illustrate. In my last game I:
1. Retreated and charged again to get to the Khemist that was buffing the Endrinriggers that were fighting my clanrats. He was 9" behind them. Which meant serious movement forwards, killing his buffing hero and next game he'll be extra careful with his support heroes. 

2. I tagged his far flank with my stormvermin, and when the stars dropped in the middle, in one turn I left that combat and immediately threatened that objective. 

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

Quick question! I’m looking to sub out my unpredictable / often ineffectual doomwheel for some objective control. I want to bring in a unit of ten gutter runners but the price (and mono-pose minis) are an issue.

Would anyone take issue with using plastic night runners in place of gutter runners? I can’t imagine it’d be a problem (same size, same weapons) but you never know. 

4 minutes ago, eliminatorjr said:

Quick question! I’m looking to sub out my unpredictable / often ineffectual doomwheel for some objective control. I want to bring in a unit of ten gutter runners but the price (and mono-pose minis) are an issue.

Would anyone take issue with using plastic night runners in place of gutter runners? I can’t imagine it’d be a problem (same size, same weapons) but you never know. 

Honestly the two are very similar in appearance that I'd wager you'd be perfectly fine. Use some unique marker on them (weapon types, model you use/paint/base) so that you can tell your gutter runners from your night runners if you field both at the same time. 

45 minutes ago, eliminatorjr said:

Nobody will mind if you use them as gutter runners so long as you explain it to them. Considering how little they're used, I doubt many non-skaven players even know what night runners are anyway 😂. The only time I could see it being a problem is at tournaments where there's rules against proxies, in casual games I would find it a little rude to deny playing against someone just because a unit doesn't have the "official" models. 😅

If you haven't assembled the runners yet and have any clanrat sprues or bits lying around, they have some punch dagger hand weapons you could maybe use to make your night runners have the proper gutter runner weapons.

5 hours ago, eliminatorjr said:

No, can’t imagin anybody would just don’t field night runners as well. Cause that’s would be confusing ;) 

5 hours ago, eliminatorjr said:

Put a painted nightrunners model next to a gutter runner model and ask your friends which is which.

they usually won’t recognize the gutter runner since it looks so much familiar to the nightrunners. There isn’t really a different, both of them carry the same weapons rulewise and from looks, they are both old and not really great for the eye. I used those Nightrunners one on a tournament and well nobody knew that I was actually using nightrunners models as gutter runners.

as long as you don’t play both variants it all should be fine.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

On 3/3/2019 at 1:34 AM, Vaeron said:

Aside from that, allying the faction you already belong to makes zero sense. "Shockingly, X decided to ally with X against Y, where both instances of X are the same group."

Well I mean they aren’t really one faction are they? They are as together and helpful to each other as the 4 chaos gods are... pestilens started like two civil wars? Clans constantly fighting each other? Seems like nurgle vs khorne vs slaanesh vs tzeentch to me honestly. Although I think the problem people are having could easily be fixed by making battleline “if general is blank” instead of needing all of them to be one clan. Unlike LoN where every “army” is just different types of undead which can all be controlled by one death wizard (other then ghouls or ghosts I think? ANd both of them have separate srmy books as well sooo...) the clans are vastly different forces with unique feel and look to them. If it’s “just a fluff thing the rules shouldn’t reflect it” then I think you could argue that dwarves, elves and humans should all be in one battletome designed like the skaven one... since honestly they work together just as often while also not liking each other. In the end people are jus to trying to keep the battline they want and take the models they want without a clan rat tax...

someone petition to make battline options based on general! This is the actual issue in my mind

About allies... Do you think that allying a chaos sorcerer lord (nurgle mark) could be worthwhile in certain situations? It now suffers from the comparison with our other casters at 160pts... It does bring a reroll 1s for save and a spell to reroll 1s for save, hit, roll. Perhaps for large units of clanratd, along with a death frenzy grey seer?

1 hour ago, Num said:

About allies... Do you think that allying a chaos sorcerer lord (nurgle mark) could be worthwhile in certain situations? It now suffers from the comparison with our other casters at 160pts... It does bring a reroll 1s for save and a spell to reroll 1s for save, hit, roll. Perhaps for large units of clanratd, along with a death frenzy grey seer?

Well I can see him beeing worth taking when wanting to keep the points for a warbringer while still wanting to buff your stormvermins up

have a box of clan rats still to build, but for now i do not need them so i was thinking to convert them in 9 jezzails (using 18 of them) what you think? I do not know how to do it, one of my friends give me the krooks guns from 40k, but still do not know how to attack skaven arms on those guns and how to make shield big enough. Any suggestion?