5kaven5lave

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well, I had the chance to witness all three possibilities that came with the warplightning cannons😁.

My first game was against the sons of behemat.

Since my army literally was a 15-16 drop my opponent out dropped me, took first turn, brought his giants on every objective markers, and was able to make an 11 inch charge into my peft flank, where my skryre acolytes died of a horrendous charge, and my warplightning cannon by overcharging (although he did 11 wounds to the giant (7came through because of the amulet)

another giant was able to snipe one of my heroes, because for some reason, those boulders thrown by the big giants somehow do 5 damage each with a rend of -3.

and with that said my first turn started, me trying to shoot everything at his giant, yet I mistakenly moved one of my rattling guns, which allowed his general to move 6

Inches away, making it impossible for almost halve my army to shoot (very sad).

and Then there were my two warplightning cannons, that all did around 24 mortal wounds (of which he saved a very good amount) leaving him at 13 wounds remaining.

yet my cannons died tragically while overcharging.

so I basically lost all of my worthwile shooting units turn 1.

my opponent won the roll of and took it, killing of the rest of my army.

major loss for the skaven.

my second battle round was against a troggoth player.

he of course outcropped me again, took the first turn, was able to cast hand of gork (or mork?) and was able to teleort a small unit of rockgut troggoths.

he then proceeded to move his unit of 9 troggoths up, and was able to make an 11 inch charge with them as well as a 9inch charge with his smaller unit.

since I knew i needed the smallee unit gone, I went so far to deal 11 mortal wounds on them with an unleash hell from my warplightning cannon, leaving 1 with 1 wound remaining.

his 9troggoth straight out forward went on a killing spree, able to remove both of my doomwheels as well as the warlock bombardier buffing them.

in my first turn, I started to basically just kill most of his army.

As a battle tactic I took the destroy battleline one, choosing the troggoth on 1 wound remaining.

I then proceeded overcharging a warplightning storm into the rockgut trogs, dealing two whole mortal wounds on them, which they saved.

in the shooting phase, my warplightning cannons rattling guns, and stormfiends went all out into the unit of 9 troggoths, killing 6 of them and leaving three alive (did another 18 mortal wounds on them with both cannons)

and on my left flank I was able to deal 12 mortal wounds on a u it of 6 fellwater troggoth, while killing the rest of those trogs with an overcharged doomrocket.

a d his dobby took another 7wounds trhougb my skryre acolytes.

that really was a fantastic turn for me.

i was also able to kill one of those bigger trolls, with a single rattling gun weapon team.

in the combat phase i killed of another 2 rockgut trogs with my stormfiends, yet 1 still remained,

yet  my general, who had a 2+ save, and a 5++ ward  with 6 wounds was unable to save himself.

so that single rockgut troggoth who had 2 attacks coming through and did a total o 6 damage, which I didn’t save a single dice, killed of my general (that really wasn’t what I expected would happen)

at least he fled, giving me the battle tactic. 

we rolled of and my opponent was able to get the next turn.

To revenge his dying brethrens, his general, the trogboss charge my stormfiends, while his dobby went all into the acolytes, which sadly meant the end for both units.

in my turn, I chose to kill of his general, ran with my last bomabrdier, towards the gnawhole, and teleported him to my other two cannons remaining, allowing me to overcharge one of them, dealing another 12 mortal wounds to his general, and kiloing it with that.

and of course I overcharge his doomrocket, and was able to deal 9 wounds on a nearby trogboss like troll.

in the third turn, my opponent got priority, charge my warplightning cannon, while my bomabrdier was shoot to death by a big mortal wounding rock from the rockguts.

the 6remainging rockguts, which he got back through rally, charged the other warplightning cannon killing it of.

my other warplightning cannon was somehow able to kill the big troll, who had 1 wound remaining.

Yet, with my round 4 the game ended, since I’ve lost everything but one single warplightning cannon.

so I heroically sacrificed it for the greater good.

major loss for the skaven

my third game was against a lumineth player.

since we were around 36inches apart the lumineth player who had the choice gave me the first turn, which allowed me to cast levitate and mmmwp onto one of my doomwheel.

that one doomwheel, was then able to move 36 inches up, dealing a ton of mortal wounds to halve his army, while shooting of his bowmen, and killing in the charge phase not one but 2 support heroes , through mortal wounds and

An unit of spearmen.

in total around 600 points died because of that one doomwheel (I was enjoying this moment very much, my opponent not so much).

yet the game should end with teclis getting a double turn, casting his aoe d6 mortal wound spell twice before I got to go, which meant that with taking 2d6 mortal wounds on every unit in my army, I have basically lost everything.

loosing the game, and ending it with that.

(yet I did a got job), considering that nothing but teclis and his fox were remaining alive.

end of third battle 

major loss for the skaven.

Edit:

I personally enjoyed all of those match ups, and my opponent all were kind person laughing with them and making jokes was a lot fun.

personally the army really isn’t meant to win games, but I knew that when I wrote it, considering how much randomness it has in it, and how fragile it is.

As long as it was a fun game, glad the Doomwheel did it's bit :)

Hello fellow warpstone appreciators. Some time ago I got some Skaven units that I hoped to turn into a full army, but I had to put in on hold and never finished expanding it. Now I'm looking at getting some more models to get the project alive again, but with the 3rd edition changes I'm a little lost on how to build lists...

I have the following models:

Spoiler
Allegiance: Skaventide
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Grey Seer (140)
Warlock Engineer (125)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (130)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (130)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Stormvermin (220)
- Halberd
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Stormvermin (220)
- Halberd
- Reinforced x 1

Units
1 x Doomwheel (165)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (130)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 1390 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118
Drops: 9

Could someone give me some tips on how I could turn this base into a ok-ish 2k list? Dropping some of the units in the list above is not a problem for me. Before the edition change I was planning to buy some stormfiends and a verminlord, but I'm not sure if they still have a place/synergy with what I already have.

Edited by Arzalyn

25 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Hello fellow warpstone appreciators. Some time ago I got some Skaven units that I hoped to turn into a full army, but I had to put in on hold and never finished expanding it. Now I'm looking at getting some more models to get the project alive again, but with the 3rd edition changes I'm a little lost on how to build lists...

I have the following models:

Hide contents
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Grey Seer (140)
Warlock Engineer (125)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (130)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (130)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Stormvermin (220)
- Halberd
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Stormvermin (220)
- Halberd
- Reinforced x 1

Units
1 x Doomwheel (165)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 1390 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118
Drops: 9

Could someone give me some tips on how I could turn this base into a ok-ish 2k list? Dropping some of the units in the list above is not a problem for me. Before the edition change I was planning to buy some stormfiends and a verminlord, but I'm not sure if they still have a place/synergy with what I already have.

Certainly mate.

Just wondering, what are you looking to gain from your list.

Are you looking for a list that can currently take part at the competitive scene, woth some good chance, 

or are you looking for a list that is meant for a more fun time with your mates, where both of you are just playing, not to win but have a great time?

or both?

or are you a fanatic that is interested in making the doomwheel as competitive as possible? (Because I truly have a few ideas)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

30 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Certainly mate.

Just wondering, what are you looking to gain from your list.

Are you looking for a list that can currently take part at the competitive scene, woth some good chance, 

or are you looking for a list that is meant for a more fun time with your mates, where both of you are just playing, not to win but have a great time?

or both?

If its possible to have both it would be nice! Around here we don't have lots of tournaments, so something for casual play that would not be completely obliterated in a tournament is the sweet spot for me.

18 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

If its possible to have both it would be nice! Around here we don't have lots of tournaments, so something for casual play that would not be completely obliterated in a tournament is the sweet spot for me.

Well, not getting obliterated at a tournament always depends on the meta.

and what kind of list you play.

and in the worst of time a ironjawz list will be able to obliterate your army, if it is able to get a double turn.

Yet your possibilities for somewhat strong skaventide armies do exist (although taking the win is currently never guaranteed)

most people tend to take a unit of 6 stormfiends buffed by any kind of warlock, as the damage dealing unit in the game, since they have the least randomness, when it comes down to damage dealers in the skaven army.

with them you’ll often want to take some kind of a screen which are often 3x20 clanrats or if you’re a friend of hordes could you even consist of more.

A waprseer or somekind of a skaven waraltar is often used to reduce the battle shock phase to nothing,

and then your basically free to take whatever is still able to be taken

Now currently since we will be getting an faq this month at some point, that might chance how skaven can be played, I would’t try and write an extremely competitive list.

everything might change.

Also keep in mind that going for the more random stuff is always welcoming.

it can be incredible fun seeing a doomwheel in the best of times kill-drive 600 or more points of you frenemies faction

and it can be hilarious when the same thing happens to you

because the doomwheel had a disfunction.

10 hours ago, SaucyRatBear said:

What's this I hear of making the Doomwheel truly competitive?! I do believe that the Doomwheel is the pet unit of most Skaven players so I am all ears to hear how to make it truly viable.

Levitate, vial of the fulminator and mmmwp are your friend.

Levitate allows your doomwheel to move over models with more then 3 wounds, allwoing you to deal mortal wounds onto basically everything.

and since the mortal wound ability for moving over models also works in the charge phase, your now able to basica Kill multiple badly placed support heroes in one round of movement shenanigans.

And should you not be able to kill-slay off a unit with just movement, your shooting powers (should you roll an average to over the average result)

and with that bit of combat damage it can do, you should be able to kill of a good amount of units in a turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well, not getting obliterated at a tournament always depends on the meta.

and what kind of list you play.

and in the worst of time a ironjawz list will be able to obliterate your army, if it is able to get a double turn.

Yet your possibilities for somewhat strong skaventide armies do exist (although taking the win is currently never guaranteed)

most people tend to take a unit of 6 stormfiends buffed by any kind of warlock, as the damage dealing unit in the game, since they have the least randomness, when it comes down to damage dealers in the skaven army.

with them you’ll often want to take some kind of a screen which are often 3x20 clanrats or if you’re a friend of hordes could you even consist of more.

A waprseer or somekind of a skaven waraltar is often used to reduce the battle shock phase to nothing,

and then your basically free to take whatever is still able to be taken

Now currently since we will be getting an faq this month at some point, that might chance how skaven can be played, I would’t try and write an extremely competitive list.

everything might change.

Also keep in mind that going for the more random stuff is always welcoming.

it can be incredible fun seeing a doomwheel in the best of times kill-drive 600 or more points of you frenemies faction

and it can be hilarious when the same thing happens to you

because the doomwheel had a disfunction.

I forgot that we are supposed to get the FAQ soon, it normally just points change no?

About the stormfiends, what weapons are generally recommended for them? 6 of the are enough to fill the artillery role in a more balanced list or they need the support of a Cannon or Jezzails?

One thing that confuses me a little is when a unit need a support hero. Like I have 30 stormvemin, do they need a clawlord to buff them or they do enough by themselves? The Skryre units fall in the same category. There is a general rule of thumbs of which units work without the support of a warlock of some kind? Or are their buffs essential for all of them to work?

23 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

I forgot that we are supposed to get the FAQ soon, it normally just points change no?

About the stormfiends, what weapons are generally recommended for them? 6 of the are enough to fill the artillery role in a more balanced list or they need the support of a Cannon or Jezzails?

One thing that confuses me a little is when a unit need a support hero. Like I have 30 stormvemin, do they need a clawlord to buff them or they do enough by themselves? The Skryre units fall in the same category. There is a general rule of thumbs of which units work without the support of a warlock of some kind? Or are their buffs essential for all of them to work?

The Clawlord for Verminus units are good but not essential in my opinion. If you really want to to Clanrat- or Stormvermin-heavy then yes I would use the Clawlord for the extra attack in combination with the "Death Frenzy" spell from a Grey Seer to get some impact.

Skyre heavily relies on Warlocks to get things done as well. A well buffed unit of Stormfiends can be brutal. Without buffs they are more like okey-ish. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

You’ll often see a unit of stormfiends equipped with 2 rattling guns and the poisoned wind thrower variant instead of the warpfire projectors.

As for combat you are basically free, given that both have good options.

Some people enjoy taking jezzails with them, others weren’t quite as lucky as them.

Considering that we don’t really have something that is pricely right for it’s average damage, I’d just go with whatever you like best.

my favorites being the Warplightning cannon or a doomwheel

ps: as for the faq, I personally have no idea, what will chance.

gw just announced it and was talking about some big changes for units that never see the table.

but what and how it will change the meta, or what it means for the different factions wasn’t communicated yet.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, SaucyRatBear said:

What's this I hear of making the Doomwheel truly competitive?! I do believe that the Doomwheel is the pet unit of most Skaven players so I am all ears to hear how to make it truly viable.

Lets make the Doomwheel amazing: Cast Levitate on it, poke it with the Vial of the Fulminator artifact, Tokyo drift it across the enemy line with 4D6 x 2 movement causing mortal wounds er'where (including heroes because of the ability wording combined with fly). Charge for extra distance, get more MW's. Then shoot. If you're bold, you skitterleaped a hero towards the enemy so they're in range of giving it a warpstone spark for +1 damage and can issue a command to All-Out-Defense and had cast More-More-More Warp-power beforehand, . Had it landed on something weak for combat, they'll wrap it up on the pile in, it might survive and then you can roll on outta there on your next turn for more MWs. 

Like all things skaven, its unreliable, therefore competitive. I love it.

My hopes and dreams for the game at large from the winter update will be bringing hordes back. A simple but eloquent change will be a reinforcement point refund or credit to certain horde armies: Skaven, Beastmen, Gitz. It may be hard to see but our faction has been hurt by the reinforcement rule in other ways outside of the lack of bodies. Some folks may have noticed our lack of hammer units. I still think we have some in the ways of Stormfiends and the new rat ogors but as soon as you spend a reinforcement point on them, you're missing out on 20+ more bodies. The opportunity cost is just too great. 

I've played this game long enough now to be nostalgic, and I miss the days of sticking it to the shooting armies by being a DPS check like giants are right now. I'm bringing over 200 wounds, shoot all you want.

• LOVE IT! 1

17 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

My hopes and dreams for the game at large from the winter update will be bringing hordes back. A simple but eloquent change will be a reinforcement point refund or credit to certain horde armies: Skaven, Beastmen, Gitz. It may be hard to see but our faction has been hurt by the reinforcement rule in other ways outside of the lack of bodies. Some folks may have noticed our lack of hammer units. I still think we have some in the ways of Stormfiends and the new rat ogors but as soon as you spend a reinforcement point on them, you're missing out on 20+ more bodies. The opportunity cost is just too great. 

I've played this game long enough now to be nostalgic, and I miss the days of sticking it to the shooting armies by being a DPS check like giants are right now. I'm bringing over 200 wounds, shoot all you want.

Yeah, this are currently really some of the problem.

Yet i do hope that points and min. Sizes for certain units will be re-arranged as well.

plague monks are ucrrently worthless, and wielding an army of 200 clanrats is almost impossible, since their points have been increased so incredible much, that it is almost impossible to field anything else.

I really hope that all of our u its go down in points as well as the stuff you have mentioned.

Nar Doomwheels battleline in scryer and able to be reinforsed... And a warscroll for Warlock engineer (no arch warlock would be stupid enough to get in one) in a doomwheel with some cool effects simular to the ratogres/hellpit mutations charts in kragnose... Dragon's v Doomwheels... New metta... 

1 hour ago, greg19190 said:

Nar Doomwheels battleline in scryer and able to be reinforsed... And a warscroll for Warlock engineer (no arch warlock would be stupid enough to get in one) in a doomwheel with some cool effects simular to the ratogres/hellpit mutations charts in kragnose... Dragon's v Doomwheels... New metta... 

all possible options in my opinion, especially for a skaven faq update.

Spoiler

- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
 - Triumphs:
LEADERS
Verminlord Deceiver (345)*
- Artefact: Shadow Magnet Trinket
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Arch-Warlock (175)**
- General
- Command Trait: Overseer of Destruction
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
Plague Priest (85)*
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
Plague Priest (85)*
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Guidance
UNITS
60 x Clanrats (390)*
- Rusty Spear
10 x Stormvermin (110)**
- Halberd & Shield
10 x Stormvermin (110)**
- Halberd & Shield
10 x Night Runners (85)**
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Warp-Grinder (75)
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)*
ARTILLERY
Warp Lightning Cannon (185)
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (80)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Warlord
**Vanguard
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Prayer

Hey rat-friends! I had a vision as of late where I wanted to give my opponent some surprise gifts this year. I needed to field a list where I pop out of the ground with nearly my whole army and provide my friends with the gift of warpstone fueled volleys to the face. Minimal table presence to start to throw my opponent off, keep 'em guessing if they should let me go first. Clanrats tunnel up with 3 weapon teams in tow, I skitterleap my arch-warlock up there and let it rip with 2 dmg gunners. Alternatively, I can teleport a plague priest and curse a tough target so those shots do MW's! If they let me go first or don't zone out my Gnawholes, I can send a WLC through and fire that as well (very spicy Unleash Hell! candidate on the crack-back since I'm so close to them now. The geminds are deceivingly good at mitigating the crack-back and most importantly will prevent inspiring presence if I choose to pepper-spray their troops.

Meanwhile, I plan on having a flying, striking first Rat-ssassin. For added spice, I can bait my opponents charge with my 10 man squads of Stormvermin or Nightrunners and Warpfire them to death. I really wanted to spam some Skaven Assassins and more gutter runners to truly be off the table, alas, they are bad. 

The awkward part is plague priests make clan eshin really good with the curse prayer but mixing the clans is so taxing on the front end. Shame. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:
  Hide contents

- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
 - Triumphs:
LEADERS
Verminlord Deceiver (345)*
- Artefact: Shadow Magnet Trinket
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Arch-Warlock (175)**
- General
- Command Trait: Overseer of Destruction
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
Plague Priest (85)*
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
Plague Priest (85)*
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Guidance
UNITS
60 x Clanrats (390)*
- Rusty Spear
10 x Stormvermin (110)**
- Halberd & Shield
10 x Stormvermin (110)**
- Halberd & Shield
10 x Night Runners (85)**
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Ratling Gun (65)
1 x Warp-Grinder (75)
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)*
ARTILLERY
Warp Lightning Cannon (185)
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (80)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Warlord
**Vanguard
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Prayer

Hey rat-friends! I had a vision as of late where I wanted to give my opponent some surprise gifts this year. I needed to field a list where I pop out of the ground with nearly my whole army and provide my friends with the gift of warpstone fueled volleys to the face. Minimal table presence to start to throw my opponent off, keep 'em guessing if they should let me go first. Clanrats tunnel up with 3 weapon teams in tow, I skitterleap my arch-warlock up there and let it rip with 2 dmg gunners. Alternatively, I can teleport a plague priest and curse a tough target so those shots do MW's! If they let me go first or don't zone out my Gnawholes, I can send a WLC through and fire that as well (very spicy Unleash Hell! candidate on the crack-back since I'm so close to them now. The geminds are deceivingly good at mitigating the crack-back and most importantly will prevent inspiring presence if I choose to pepper-spray their troops.

Meanwhile, I plan on having a flying, striking first Rat-ssassin. For added spice, I can bait my opponents charge with my 10 man squads of Stormvermin or Nightrunners and Warpfire them to death. I really wanted to spam some Skaven Assassins and more gutter runners to truly be off the table, alas, they are bad. 

The awkward part is plague priests make clan eshin really good with the curse prayer but mixing the clans is so taxing on the front end. Shame. 

I’ve played a similar list, which I enjoyed very much, back when the hidden weapon team rules didn’t exist.

with the inclusion of those rules, I could see myself trying the sneak-hide idea out again.

love your list😍😉

Quick update: I got trounced by Soulblight. I'm a little salty. Savage gains was the scenario and I called the game at the bottom of 3 (09-27) 'cause I couldn't score any more points. My opponent didn't lose a single unit. 

I'm salty because I got to do everything I wanted the list to do. Vengorian Lord took an overclocked WLC to the face and the full assault of 3 overclocked rattling cannons, re-rolling all hits and warpstone sparked for +1 damage. This knucklehead survived. I even threw a Warp Sun of Skavenblight at it the next turn, nothing. Meanwhile I'm dying, and they're healing. Oh and Radakar and a Vampire Knight on Zombie Dragon were killing my dudes. Oh and to deal with that I had a Strike-First, Finest Hour'ed, Flaming Weapon'ed Deceiver that got roared and I couldn't re-roll the ones rolled to wound, which let those other knuckleheads survive. 

I felt that hero save stacking. I had built the list posted earlier to beat it. Just need to vent. I need a beer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Quick update: I got trounced by Soulblight. I'm a little salty. Savage gains was the scenario and I called the game at the bottom of 3 (09-27) 'cause I couldn't score any more points. My opponent didn't lose a single unit. 

I'm salty because I got to do everything I wanted the list to do. Vengorian Lord took an overclocked WLC to the face and the full assault of 3 overclocked rattling cannons, re-rolling all hits and warpstone sparked for +1 damage. This knucklehead survived. I even threw a Warp Sun of Skavenblight at it the next turn, nothing. Meanwhile I'm dying, and they're healing. Oh and Radakar and a Vampire Knight on Zombie Dragon were killing my dudes. Oh and to deal with that I had a Strike-First, Finest Hour'ed, Flaming Weapon'ed Deceiver that got roared and I couldn't re-roll the ones rolled to wound, which let those other knuckleheads survive. 

I felt that hero save stacking. I had built the list posted earlier to beat it. Just need to vent. I need a beer. 

It's probably happend to everyone here, main thing is to learn what you can and get playing another game when you feel less salty :) hope the beer helped, going to a local tornement on Sunday with a molder list with a megga gargent helper... Fun list and going to play (won the last one)