5kaven5lave

Ok, so my first game of 3.0 vs an Orruks player who’s never played AoS at all before. So far from competitive.

I ran a Warpgnaw Verminlord, Plague Monk, 20 Clanrats, 20 Stormvermins, 2 x 6 Giant Rats, 5 Gutter Runners and 2 Warpfire Throwers in a battle regiment

He ran Wierdnob, 2 x Warchanter, 2 x 10 Ardboys, 3 Gore Gruntas and 10 Hobgrots?? in a command entourage

We played Marking Territory, he was the attacker but I dropped first and gave him first turn.

Turn 1 - he moved everything up but was out of range for shooting or charging. I stole 2 of his CP with the Warpgnaw’s Cunning command trait. In my turn I pushed my giant rat screens up and kept everything else behind. The gutter runners snook in the corner behind his pigs and threw some accurate throwing stars to take 3 wounds.

Turn 2 - he won the roll off and elected to go first. He chanted some buffs onto his ardboys but only managed to charge one of them into some giant rats (my Clanrats used Redeploy) but wrapped around to tag the Verminlord. Enraged by the sneaky gutter runners his gore gruntas about faced and charged into them killing them outright. My turn and I pushed up with the Clanrats and revealed my Warpfire Throwers killing around half of each Ardboyz unit and only losing one WFT. Verminlord tagged a couple more Ardboyz and it’s looking good for me.

Turn 3 - I win the roll off and let him go first knowing that I get to remove an objective. I remove the one nearest the Gore Gruntas meaning I only have to capture the one closest to my Stormvermin and Verminlord currently being guarded by 10 hobgrots. Game on!! He buffs everything he can and tries to get the Gore Gruntas back in the game. He throws everything sat the Verminlord who stands his ground and takes out 1 unit of Ardboyz and a Warchanter. The remaining WFT takes down the other Ardboyz thanks to Unleash Hell and I have a clear path to the last objective. He concedes.

Takeaways - I wasn’t expecting to get off so lightly with the Gore Gruntas, but that was down to my opponents inexperience. Cunning is amazing. I was rolling a lot of 6’s but it really stunted his CP generation. And Giant Rats make a great screen.

There’s a lot more to think about in 3.0 but it keeps you on your toes. No more sitting around while your opponent moves. I’m a big fan already.

Edited by Cosmicsheep
  • Like 1

I played a 2k game last night against Sons + Kragnos. Was an interesting game and got the victory in the end. 

My list was:

Warpseer (general w/master of magic and flaming weapon spell), bombardier, engineer (vigorously injector)

3x20 clanrats, 6 fiends, 6 jezzails

WLV

Battle regiment for 1-drop

His list:

Kraken Eater (made him a wizard), warstomper

Kragnos, 2x1 man rushers

He had taker tribe so all his dudes had extra wounds

We played Savage Gains. *Note we forgot to remove an objective on turn 3, as we're both still fine tuning on remembering all the details of 3.0. I finish deploying first and take first turn.

Turn 1:

I get MMMWP and vigordust on the fiends, but ratlings are out of range of him. I throw out WLV and get two pylons in range of his general. Clanrats run up and grab the two middle objectives while one of them strings out, preparing to be obliterated in my opponents turn.

Turn sees me take his general down to 7 wounds remaining and I pass Turn, scoring my points.

Opponent has minimal action in his hero phase. Moves his general away from the WLV and moves his warstomper and Kragnos up. Kragnos charges in and I unleash hell with the fiends, doing 5 wounds. Kragnos kills enough clanrats with exploding mortal wounds that casualties cause his warstomper to need a 12" charge and my opponent proceeds to roll an 11".

Kraggy piles in and does surprisingly less than I expected, over killing the clanrats by only 1 wound. We roll off and I win priority (this never changes) 

Turn 2:

A fiend dies from buffs and buffs go right back on them. I cast some spells but they're either unbound, failed or do minimal chip damage. With the fiends buffed to the gills and his general almost dead,  I figure it's time to go for broke and deal a knockout blow.

I shuffle around, trying to screen the incoming warstomper while also lining up to kill the two big beasties.

Jezzails take off the last 9 wounds from his general, as he had healed two from heroic recovery. Stormfiends then light up Kragnos and evaporate him. My opponent and I both agree he made a mistake using all out defense on his general instead of Kragnos, but again, there's the adjusting to 3.0 details I mentioned.

Opponent has less action this hero phase. He runs his mancrushers to take objectives and not fall behind on points and moves his warstomper up for a charge. Big boy makes his charge into the clan rats and the combat phase puts him a great spot. He piles away from my verminlord and into my two squisy wizards (I wasn't expecting this, as the WLV popped a hole in my clan rat screen opening up my back lines and preventing me from running in my turn).

He kills the two wizards and gets some wounds in on the fiends (I have 3 left at this point) and I slap back, pushing a handful of wounds through. Turn ends and we're both taking damage and both scoring points, so a close game so far. I win priority and take the turn.

Turn 3:

Fiends take some damage, I dispell WLV because it hurt me more than him to this point and I focus all my efforts into killing the warstomper. 

By the time the combat phase starts, his big guy has 5 wounds left and is in combat with my verminlord and 3 remaining stormfiends. Fiends activate and kill the big guy, but when he falls he takes another fiend down with him.

At this point, my opponent only has 2 mancrushers left and things aren't looking good. He commits one to fighting the clanrats but the writing is on the wall.

Turn 4:

I kill one mancrusher and take the other down to two wounds remaining and my opponent conceds. 

Observations: nothing new here, but fiends without buffs are lackluster. Jezzails are very consistent and reliable. WLV I'm still undecided on, but it did more damage to than my opponent. Warpseer was great with a lot of utility.

I'm enjoying skaven right now and excited to see where they go as we move along the edition

• Like 2

I seem to remember rat ogors having some ability that made them better on the charge - insanely rabid or something? Does anyone know? 

Edit: oh, and how do acolytes fare in 3.0?

Edit 2: and plague monks while I'm at it 😛

Edited by gronnelg

23 hours ago, gronnelg said:

Edit: oh, and how do acolytes fare in 3.0?

Edit 2: and plague monks while I'm at it 😛

They got hit hard by new unit size rules. They can work in pure skryre/pestilence but borderline unplayable in mixed.

• Like 1

First the base size was 25mm.  Then they changed the base size to 32mm.

Then we could have units of 3x 30 .

Here’s when I made / modded 120 Acolytes, and changed all their bases. Again.

Then the Max unit size dropped  to 20. But I could have as many as I had points.

Now the max unit size is only 15 - and only if I use 2/3 of available reinforcements for them.

Edited by Coyote

39 minutes ago, will pollock said:

hi all, quick question

how would drops work with a warp grinder taking a unit of 40 clanrats underground with ratlings in the clanrat unit? and how would this work with fitting into a battle regiment for drops?

cheers

Due to the wording of the grinder, it and the unit of Clanrats would be 2 drops (and take up 2 slots in your battle regiment) but because the railings are hidden in the Clanrats they don‘t count as a drop, or need to be in your battle regiment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cosmicsheep said:

Due to the wording of the grinder, it and the unit of Clanrats would be 2 drops (and take up 2 slots in your battle regiment) but because the railings are hidden in the Clanrats they don‘t count as a drop, or need to be in your battle regiment

thank you very much

I am not sure about the rattling gun not being a drop though. The fact that it is hidden IMO just means you don't have to reveal  which unit it is hidden in. But I think it is still a drop and you have to inform your opponent that it is part of your army and is one the field somewhere.

It is like units in reserve where you instead of putting them on the table one by one tell your opponent that they will pop up later.

1 hour ago, DocKeule said:

I am not sure about the rattling gun not being a drop though. The fact that it is hidden IMO just means you don't have to reveal  which unit it is hidden in. But I think it is still a drop and you have to inform your opponent that it is part of your army and is one the field somewhere.

It is like units in reserve where you instead of putting them on the table one by one tell your opponent that they will pop up later.

Well from a raw understanding, it currently doesn’t follow the rules for the current existing set up rules.

unlike other units that have the: “ instead of setting up… ability, Weapon teams of clans skryre currently ignore this rule by basically not having the “instead” word used in their explanation of their hidden weapon team ability

18 hours ago, will pollock said:

hi all, quick question

how would drops work with a warp grinder taking a unit of 40 clanrats underground with ratlings in the clanrat unit? and how would this work with fitting into a battle regiment for drops?

cheers

The way it works is since they are not on the table (Warp grinder, with clan rats, weapons teams in with clan rats), Warp grinder is reserve same as the clan rats but the rattling guns are classed as being on the table when the clan rats are so they are reserve and also not (it doesn't clarify it) like Skreech said.

I used a warpfire thrower in a tornement as one of the units in the warlord battalion since it was in a clan rat unit that was in the battle regiment. Clan rats were on the table so there for warpfire thrower is on table. Dose not count as a drop as they are in a unit. (saves 1 drop)

In your case since they are reserve I would not put them in the battle regiment as you technically would have to deploy them straight away... Which you carnt. But as they are reserve they don't count as a drop so can be useful reducing your drops... 

Hope the explanation helps... 

1 hour ago, DocKeule said:

The wording of reserves and hidden weapon teams are very distinctly different. The weapon team wording is:

"Do not set up the WEAPON TEAM unit until it is revealed as described next."

The weapon team is not a drop because it is never set up during deploy at all. You decide where it hides during list building, then reveal it and set it up during the game. The wording on reserve units like the warp grinder is:

"Instead of setting up this model on the battlefield, you can place this model to one side and say that it is set up tunnelling as a reserve unit."

So when its your turn to set up the warp grinder, you instead place it to the side. You can however also choose not to place it in reserve and deploy it normally. Weapon teams on the other hand are forced to remain hidden in the parent unit chosen in the list building stage (unless it was never hidden, in which case its deployed as normal). There are other units with the same rules that doesn't count towards drops, like fanatics in Gloomspite gitz.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gronnelg said:

Wow wow wow! Weapon teams in hiding do not count as drops? WTF? 
This will be FAQ right? Everything else in the game that can be deployed on the table still counts as a drop, right?

It hasn’t been yet.

so maybe not.

Although a clarification would be very nice.

Then again having something that breaks the game isn’t bad either for us.

I mean When those elf-things literally break every rule in the book, why shouldn’t we get some either?

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gronnelg said:

Everything else in the game that can be deployed on the table still counts as a drop, right?

These aren’t “deployed” as such, they are “revealed”

Imagine if I had 3 units of Clanrats and only one was in my Battle Regiment with 2 WFT. If the WFT also used a slot in the battalion it would kinda defeat the object of them being hidden and would let your opponent know where they were hidden.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

What are thoughts surrounding skaven in a competitive environment? I'm planning on taking them to an upcoming GT and while not anticipating winning, I'm hoping for a good showing. 

I would probably say pretty great.

With broken realms kragnos our options became even better.

Hidden weapon teams, allow us skaven players to use some tricksy schemes.

nothing beats a warpfire thrower weapon team to get in the way of 30 skinks,

or 30 sentinels.

yet, I wouldn’t stop there.

although loosing basically any reason of ever using plague monks or stormvermins, Clanrats have and can be finally taken in u

nits of 60 (now don’t get me wrong, if gw would just increase the min. Size unit for those other units, this might as well be able to change) 

60clanrats are pretty tough to take down.

For combat damage dealers, your best of with hell pits (with what ever you like best) and or Rat ogors (with rabid something something mutation).

Coherency is currently one of our least problems, considering how we basically don’t really care about it.

And against many-many faction-things, we can scurry-run up to their reputation, and just burn it to the ground.

Although we do struggle a lot against morathi and Archaon at even the best of times, yet we aren’t the only army, and considering, that we are able to beat up seraphon, Lumineth, and tzeentch non archaon lists pretty well, I would say, that we are pretty much up there at the top 

5 hours ago, Brakkus said:

What are thoughts surrounding skaven in a competitive environment? I'm planning on taking them to an upcoming GT and while not anticipating winning, I'm hoping for a good showing. 

I think we are probably around the middle,  maybe similar to where we were last edition. It's pretty hard to gauge this early on though. 

9 stormfiend lists have been doing pretty well in tournaments but I think these skryre lists are all or nothing so some armies will just handle them. Also I wouldn't be surprised if GW stops us from being able to take 9, as they did last edition. 

Mixed lists built around skryre, and loads of clanrats is what I will personally be playing around with. As @Skreech Verminkingsaid, 60 clanrats are top ******. 60 battleshock immune rats that get +2 to run and can retreat and charge, is going to be fantastic for screening and locking up objectives. It's also a good target for rally and all out defence. Take a plague priest with curse, and those clanrats become a mortal wound threat, dealing mortals on 6s to hit. 

I'm stuck in lockdown at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to play with weapons teams yet, but they are certainly a lot better than they were. I'm just not sure they are worth substituting out 6 stormfiends, which I am taking in all of my lists that I'm playing around with. I think stormfiends remain out most powerful unit this edition, despite the increase in points. 

Edited by fishwaffle2232
  • Like 1

@Skreech Verminking and @fishwaffle2232 Thank you both for your responses and interesting to hear both of your viewpoints. 

While I have yet to try the 60 strong clan rat unit, it is something I want to further test. 60 spears hitting a unit that has been cursed will put a dent into anything. With clan rats still retaining their strengths in 3.0, I feel that flooding the table and controlling the board could be more important than previously. 

I know we're still early in the new edition, but we can only make decisions and observations on the information we have on hand, which is why I was asking. Additionally, I'm building around a mixed list with stormfiends and jezzails as the threats with clan rats and magic to support.

I have tried the 9 fiend list a couple of times. While it definitely is an all-in approach, I felt it didn't have enough "other stuff" to be what I wanted to play for the GT. 

Again, thank you both for the responses, it has helped and given me other things to think about. 

So guys what are your thoughts on this list?

I personally call it the Morathi-things stopper.

Although depending on your roles it might just barely work against a tzeentch archaon list, although that seems very unlikely.

Anyways here’s the list:

Allegiance: Skaventide

- Grand Strategy: None Chosen

- Triumphs: 

Thanquol on Boneripper (405)

- 2 Warpfire Braziers & 2 Warpfire Projectors

- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale

Verminlord Warpseer (335)

- General

- Command Trait: Cunning 

- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

Plague Priest (85)