5kaven5lave

19 minutes ago, Coyote said:

@Skreech Verminking Who are you?  You’re F’ing @Skreech Verminking!

They couldn’t kill all your Battleline if they tried.  Keep 1 throwaway Clanrats and Gnawhole him to the opponent’s far far deployment corner to set up VP at end of game, and also set yourself up for one of the Strategies Savage Spearhead.

Mate, it is still me, the mighty skreech verminking!

But I’ve got a bit rusty lately, 

Studying educational science, combined with the fact that most Events and tournaments were postponed, and most of my friends are currently serving in military, it is extremely hard getting a good game in.

I’m basically a bit out of practice, and with the addition of a new edition, I’m just barely able to pick up from my local store this week, I really just need some games in, even if I may make wrong decision, but that is a part of learning the system and the army.

Even knowing everything what the army can do will do, and may do isn’t enough to know out straight which units are great or bad, and since I’ve only been able to have a look at the point changes for the skaven race, my knowledge on the damage potential of each non skaven factions, is pretty limited.

sorry dude, But I really need to get some games in no matter how badly I loose or win.

Hey but thx for all those great strategies and ideas, definitely will be helpful as soon as I’m able to pick up the missing booklets for aos 3

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Obeisance said:

I'm looking for pics of converted Soulscream Bridges that have a Skaven theme.

Here's what ya do. If some punk is dissing on yo fly girl, you just give 'em one of these: 0BCFC3F7-EAFC-4936-A21D-C71A2BC2240E.jpeg.932e002765adfdddcdfdc62d9df1b70e.jpeg

Cut it in half, one half is burrying down and the front is popping outta the ground on the two bases. Skaven-ize the rest.

• Like 2

Hi everyone! Devastated Clans Moulder player here (I went kinda crazy during the first wave of Covid and collected and painted 3 waves of 40 giant rats...yes, I have 120 hahaha).

So anyone think they are worth playing in min size sets of 6 for 40 points? 

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, BeerBoar said:

Hi everyone! Devastated Clans Moulder player here (I went kinda crazy during the first wave of Covid and collected and painted 3 waves of 40 giant rats...yes, I have 120 hahaha).

So anyone think they are worth playing in min size sets of 6 for 40 points? 

Very much so in my view - though with the caveat that I don't play in a particularly competitive environment.

For me they're the thing that won me games in 2nd Ed, and now I just have more units of them.

They're 40pts that help score objectives turn 1, without risking anything valuable in my army. 

One or two units of them in front of each of my Rat Ogor squads means they screen enemies trying to charge me and help to make sure I can pick my fights.

And with shooting units they were always great at tying up a unit of archers so they couldn't shoot at anything important, and now that goes for stopping Unleash Hell as well.

They never kill anything, but its a waste of time my opponent trying to kill them (I have 8 units of 6 now), and if they don't kill them they'll be grabbing objectives all game and scoring Hold the Line at the end.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Ahriman said:

Very much so in my view - though with the caveat that I don't play in a particularly competitive environment.

For me they're the thing that won me games in 2nd Ed, and now I just have more units of them.

They're 40pts that help score objectives turn 1, without risking anything valuable in my army. 

One or two units of them in front of each of my Rat Ogor squads means they screen enemies trying to charge me and help to make sure I can pick my fights.

And with shooting units they were always great at tying up a unit of archers so they couldn't shoot at anything important, and now that goes for stopping Unleash Hell as well.

They never kill anything, but its a waste of time my opponent trying to kill them (I have 8 units of 6 now), and if they don't kill them they'll be grabbing objectives all game and scoring Hold the Line at the end.

Ohhh sweet, I shall endeavour to try them out then before I write them off! 

I like the idea of using them to cap those objectives turn one without fear of losing something useful.

I will be playing with 5 units of 6 later tonight, will report on how they perform. If I dig the experience, I will be sure to run even more. Got the models for it heheh

• Like 1

That's right, it's time for a SKAVEN battle report! One Stormfiend and the shackles are missing from the picture.

Spoiler

2026738112_goodpic.JPG.d123792b2dcb835c0e095eb982822734.JPG

My list

Thanquol w/Warpgale
Warp Bombardier general w/deranged inventor, MMWP
Warlock Engineer w/vigordust, MMWP (yes I know I can only attempt to cast one per turn)

40 Clanrats
20 Clanrats
20 Clanrats

6 Stormfiends

WLV
Soulsnare shackles

1965 points 

Battle Regiment and hunters (40 clanrats, fiends)

Grand Strategy: Keep wizards alive

Ok so this here is my attempt at a "Control" skaven list.

General idea is to prevent the enemy from moving while WLV, shackles, and stormfiends cause an obscene amount of damage and clanrats suicide onto objectives. I'm still working on this list quite a bit and it's not optimized by any means.

My opponent brought Fyreslayers, including Thanquol's most hated foe... GOTREK!!!! Will the Horned Rat's finest get revenge, or will this be another in the long list of ignominous defeats...

Spoiler

598662223_faceoff.jpg.b184aad50bb41b0f4c5f728c0f61b322.jpg

His list:

Lofnir Lodge

GOTREK
Battlesmith with 12" ignore spell aura
Runesmiter (deepstriking)
Runesmiter

10 Auric gun guys (deepstriking)
5 Auric gun guys
5 Auric gun guys
10 Vulkites

10 Hearthguard berserkers with poles
10 Hearthguard Berserkers with poles

So basically his army pretty much ignores one of the two ways I can deal damage by shrugging all my endless spell damage. I also don't really have any shooting beyond the stormfiends to dedicate into shooting off the anti-magic guy and I'm not sure it's worth devoting them to killing one character.

We rolled up Apex Predators.

I picked the stormfiends (for actually killing stuff), and the 2 engineers (for hiding to deny points). I figured Thanquol had a big ol target on his back and I'd rather not have him give up 2 points if killed (monster and predator).

He picks Gotrek and the 2 Berserker units for obvious reasons.

So, going into the game, I knew this was gonna be a super tough matchup with him ignoring spells and deepstriking. But he doesn't have a lot of anti-magic beyond that so I knew MMWP was likely going off each turn. I needed to box him in the middle and delete stuff or else I would be toast once a cheeky heroic dispel got rid of shackles and he was able to punch through the 40 clanrats.

I get 5 warpstone sparks and make him take the first turn.

DEPLOYMENT

Spoiler

deployment.jpg.5b9faa90202a542b717dae5bac2147c3.jpg

Turn 1

He declares Ferocious advance with his heroes.

He pops the movement rune and moves everyone up. He surprises me by immediately bringing up the aurics/battlesmith and unloading 20 aurics into Thanquol. 11 wounds later I am very very scared of Fyreslayer shooting. No charges since he ran and he scores 5 points.

I'm on the back foot but know I need to get the movement blocks going. I declare kill a battleline unit and point at the 10 Aurics in front. Thankfully I heal 3 on Thanquol and cast WLV and warpgale on Gotrek, effectively pinning him in place. I then cast shackles in front of the clanrats and MMWP on the fiends, with the help of a warpstone spark.

Throughout the entire game, my opponent passed easily 80% of his ignore spell rolls, so I'm just gonna mention the few times I do sneak wounds through.

The fiends open up and their inaugural volley erases the 10 Aurics. However, I only get 3 points since I can't get to the right objective and the center is full of dwarves.

End of Turn one and it's 3-5 Fyreslayers.

But then, in a classic AoS move, I get the double turn.

END OF TURN 1: 

Spoiler

2100873005_turn1ink.jpg.b964da5c2243b86ae809602e4cea8d6d.jpg

Turn 2

Time to score! I select conquer for my battle tactic.

Thanquol heals some more and my opponent makes one of his two huge mistakes- choosing to use his heroic action to dispel the WLV instead of the shackles.

I move up the right clanrats to steal the objective from the vulkites. Magic is boring since the endless spells are up and thanquol gales Gotrek.

The fiends shoot the rightmost berserkers and kill 8 of them.

I score 5 points.

My opponent picks Aggressive Expansion and uses his heroic action to heal Gotrek who had taken 3 wounds from all the chip damage from spells he'd been receiving. He fails to dispel shackles but rolls 4/8 6's to rally his Berserkers which are now back to over half health.

He moves his vullkites to shoo off my clanrats on the rightmost objective who redeploy 5" backwards. Otherwise he sort of just shuffles. around to block me off that middle objective. By putting the shackles where I did, he won't be able to actually finish a charge move without his unit being on top of the spell which means that only Gotrek can actually charge me and he is half everything so the 8" charge is impossible.

Shooting kills some clanrats.

He charges 11" into my clanrats and wraps em up good with the vulkites who kill 9 clanrats. BUT, he charged so far he forgot to actually capture the objective he was running me off of... so he fails his battle tactic and only scores 1 point this turn. Sneaky sneaky rat tricks.

Score at the end of 2 is 8-6 Skaven.

I win priority for turn 3!

END OF TURN 2

Spoiler

1388670051_turn2.jpg.ad1e601fe96d8fb1c9bc7a6c4e251d22.jpg

Turn 3

I declare Aggressive expansion (I know I'll automatically get it since I still hold the rightmost objective thanks to his overenthusiastic charge).

Hero phase I bring back up WLV and actually manage to kill his deepstriking battlesmith with the shackles! I also chip 3 more wounds onto gotrek from the multiple spell procs and warpgale which takes him to 3 remaining.

Movement is boring.

Shooting is less boring. I kill the hearthguard unit netting me a bonus VP from my apex killing one of his!

I score 6 points

He declares conquer for the easy 2 points and fails to dispel shackles again.

Movement is a wash, with him pulling the vulkites onto the objective and otherwise kerfuffling around.

He didn't want to pull the last hearthguard brick over to the left objective because he knew I would just move the clanrats to the center and take that one from him since he wasn't able to kill enough of them with shooting and couldn't get into combat with em.

Shooting killed a few more clanrats. No combat.

He scores 5 points

Score is 14-11 skaven.

I win priority again!

END OF TURN 3 

Spoiler

2126836092_turn3.jpg.cb884b972e9a8a8966ff0d650494e4bc.jpg

TURN 4

I declare Monstrous Takeover for the easy thanquol grab.

I know I need to get that center objective for the additional points this turn so I choose to dispel WLV and throw my clanrat block up to snag the objective. I also manuever my left clanrats to ensure that it's an impossible charge for his berserkers and hit them with warpgale so they can't come steal my left objective.

Stormfiends only kill 3 Hearthguard since I ran out of warp sparks.

I score 5 points but know that's the last turn I'm gonna be able to contest 2 objectives...

He starts his turn and declares broken ranks. He dispels shackles and shoots like 8 more wounds off of Thanquol who had been quietly healing in the corner not bothering anyone. So he's back on 11 wounds taken.

Gotrek blends the clanrat block.

He scores 5 points

Score at the end of 4 is 19-16. It's coming down to the wire.

I win priority for turn 5!

END OF TURN 4 

Spoiler

211227912_turn4.jpg.cddea6b4a5513186baa1e0790555844f.jpg

Turn 5 

Coming off this lucky priority streak I realize that he only has one priest remaining and that he's taken 2 chip wounds from all the spells.

I declare savage spearhead for an easy 2 points with Thanquol and the back clanrat unit easily being in the weird opponent's territory of the scenario.

I cast a bunch of spells and the stormfiends go "brrrrt" into the last priest and kill him.

At this point we call the game. I would get 3 points for the turn. I figured the 10 berserkers and Gotrek would probably kill the stormfiends for the apex predator point and he would get his savage spearhead battle tactic which would give him a total of 6 points.

So final score would be 22-22, a tie?!?!

BUT NO!

Grand strategy kicks in and final score is 25-22 skaven!!

Thanquol gets his victory over Gotrek in an extremely close game.

END OF TURN 5 (as we're halfway putting models away)

Spoiler

2074906191_turn5.jpg.7bdfb55244362cae5b62d99c699b0e8d.jpg

Postgame Throughts:

Ok so that was a bit of an unusual game where my opponent could happily ignore my magical damage output which is a huge part of this list. However, his lack of dispels meant that I could easily cast MMWP and not have to worry about the stormfiends not being juiced up. I did get seriously lucky with the double turn and subsequent priority rolls and my opponent did make 2 huge mistakes so I'm aware this wasn't a victory easily replicated. That being said, here's my analysis and grades of my units for anyone interested. 

Thanquol (B): He is excellent at casting WLV and warpgale. But I can cast those with any grey seer and it's an absolute joke that Gotrek is only 30 points more. The warpfire throwers were pretty wasted against my opponent but as my only monster and also general, he's not really tanky enough to survive concentrated removal. For 405 points, I feel like I could replace him without losing too much efficiency and add some more bodies. But, warpgale is an insanely good spell for what this army wants to do and Thanquol is really the only reliable caster for it. 

Warlock Bombardier and Engineer (A-): Did exactly what they needed to do but often I didn't really have spells for them to cast since they were pretty far in my backlines to ensure the stormfiends got MMWP. I think I'll definitely swap out vigordust for the esoteric warp resonator for the free warpstone spark each round. Stormfiends really need the spark to do damage and I need to do whatever I can to properly buff them. Bombardier did about 3 wounds all game with his rocket but hey, damage is damage. 

Clanrats (A)- Yeah they do exactly what they're supposed to. 40 of em can survive quite a bit of shooting and the +2 to running means they can scuttle around super well. You know em, you love em. 

Stormfiends (A): They killed 10 Aurics, 13 Hearthguard, and a Runesmiter. They clearly are the stars here and the MVPs of the game. Only issue with them is that I ran out of warpsparks on turn 4 and that's absolutely crippling for their output. Obviously a star unit but you really have to sink resources into them to make 'em worthwhile.

Warp Lightning Vortex (B-): Tough game to be a WLV. It's a great spell that still blows enormous holes in your opponent's army. Pinning them with clanrats and then just booming away is excellent against any buff-heavy bubble army that doesn't ignore spell effects on a 4+

Soulsnare Shackles (A+): The real MVP's of the game. Adding an extra layer of protection for the Stormfiends while ensuring that the clanrat brick continually threatens to push up for objectives is unbelievably huge. Unfortunately there are multiple points of failure- I can fail to cast it, it can be dispelled, or it can be dispelled in the opponent's turn. For armies that don't do a lot of magic, it's amazing. But I'll definitely keep messing around with it. 

All in all, this army did pretty well against a really very competitive Fyreslayer list. Being able to make Gotrek move roughly 4" a turn and keep him out of my army until turn 4 was game defining. The threat of unleash hell with Stormfiends is also a big mind**** for your opponents, even though without the warpsparks, the fiends don't do a whole lot.

I think for the next game I'm gonna consider dropping Thanquol and trying to get some more bodies in there. 2x10 plague monks would be excellent gnawhole jumpers while being able to actually threaten small units. That leaves me like 250 points to mess with... 

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

17 hours ago, vinnyt said:

That's right, it's time for a SKAVEN battle report! One Stormfiend and the shackles are missing from the picture.

Reveal hidden contents

2026738112_goodpic.JPG.d123792b2dcb835c0e095eb982822734.JPG

My list

Thanquol w/Warpgale
Warp Bombardier general w/deranged inventor, MMWP
Warlock Engineer w/vigordust, MMWP (yes I know I can only attempt to cast one per turn)

40 Clanrats
20 Clanrats
20 Clanrats

6 Stormfiends

WLV
Soulsnare shackles

1965 points 

Battle Regiment and hunters (40 clanrats, fiends)

Grand Strategy: Keep wizards alive

Ok so this here is my attempt at a "Control" skaven list.

General idea is to prevent the enemy from moving while WLV, shackles, and stormfiends cause an obscene amount of damage and clanrats suicide onto objectives. I'm still working on this list quite a bit and it's not optimized by any means.

My opponent brought Fyreslayers, including Thanquol's most hated foe... GOTREK!!!! Will the Horned Rat's finest get revenge, or will this be another in the long list of ignominous defeats...

Reveal hidden contents

598662223_faceoff.jpg.b184aad50bb41b0f4c5f728c0f61b322.jpg

His list:

Lofnir Lodge

GOTREK
Battlesmith with 12" ignore spell aura
Runesmiter (deepstriking)
Runesmiter

10 Auric gun guys (deepstriking)
5 Auric gun guys
5 Auric gun guys
10 Vulkites

10 Hearthguard berserkers with poles
10 Hearthguard Berserkers with poles

So basically his army pretty much ignores one of the two ways I can deal damage by shrugging all my endless spell damage. I also don't really have any shooting beyond the stormfiends to dedicate into shooting off the anti-magic guy and I'm not sure it's worth devoting them to killing one character.

We rolled up Apex Predators.

I picked the stormfiends (for actually killing stuff), and the 2 engineers (for hiding to deny points). I figured Thanquol had a big ol target on his back and I'd rather not have him give up 2 points if killed (monster and predator).

He picks Gotrek and the 2 Berserker units for obvious reasons.

So, going into the game, I knew this was gonna be a super tough matchup with him ignoring spells and deepstriking. But he doesn't have a lot of anti-magic beyond that so I knew MMWP was likely going off each turn. I needed to box him in the middle and delete stuff or else I would be toast once a cheeky heroic dispel got rid of shackles and he was able to punch through the 40 clanrats.

I get 5 warpstone sparks and make him take the first turn.

DEPLOYMENT

Reveal hidden contents

deployment.jpg.5b9faa90202a542b717dae5bac2147c3.jpg

Turn 1

He declares Ferocious advance with his heroes.

He pops the movement rune and moves everyone up. He surprises me by immediately bringing up the aurics/battlesmith and unloading 20 aurics into Thanquol. 11 wounds later I am very very scared of Fyreslayer shooting. No charges since he ran and he scores 5 points.

I'm on the back foot but know I need to get the movement blocks going. I declare kill a battleline unit and point at the 10 Aurics in front. Thankfully I heal 3 on Thanquol and cast WLV and warpgale on Gotrek, effectively pinning him in place. I then cast shackles in front of the clanrats and MMWP on the fiends, with the help of a warpstone spark.

Throughout the entire game, my opponent passed easily 80% of his ignore spell rolls, so I'm just gonna mention the few times I do sneak wounds through.

The fiends open up and their inaugural volley erases the 10 Aurics. However, I only get 3 points since I can't get to the right objective and the center is full of dwarves.

End of Turn one and it's 3-5 Fyreslayers.

But then, in a classic AoS move, I get the double turn.

END OF TURN 1: 

Reveal hidden contents

2100873005_turn1ink.jpg.b964da5c2243b86ae809602e4cea8d6d.jpg

Turn 2

Time to score! I select conquer for my battle tactic.

Thanquol heals some more and my opponent makes one of his two huge mistakes- choosing to use his heroic action to dispel the WLV instead of the shackles.

I move up the right clanrats to steal the objective from the vulkites. Magic is boring since the endless spells are up and thanquol gales Gotrek.

The fiends shoot the rightmost berserkers and kill 8 of them.

I score 5 points.

My opponent picks Aggressive Expansion and uses his heroic action to heal Gotrek who had taken 3 wounds from all the chip damage from spells he'd been receiving. He fails to dispel shackles but rolls 4/8 6's to rally his Berserkers which are now back to over half health.

He moves his vullkites to shoo off my clanrats on the rightmost objective who redeploy 5" backwards. Otherwise he sort of just shuffles. around to block me off that middle objective. By putting the shackles where I did, he won't be able to actually finish a charge move without his unit being on top of the spell which means that only Gotrek can actually charge me and he is half everything so the 8" charge is impossible.

Shooting kills some clanrats.

He charges 11" into my clanrats and wraps em up good with the vulkites who kill 9 clanrats. BUT, he charged so far he forgot to actually capture the objective he was running me off of... so he fails his battle tactic and only scores 1 point this turn. Sneaky sneaky rat tricks.

Score at the end of 2 is 8-6 Skaven.

I win priority for turn 3!

END OF TURN 2

Reveal hidden contents

1388670051_turn2.jpg.ad1e601fe96d8fb1c9bc7a6c4e251d22.jpg

Turn 3

I declare Aggressive expansion (I know I'll automatically get it since I still hold the rightmost objective thanks to his overenthusiastic charge).

Hero phase I bring back up WLV and actually manage to kill his deepstriking battlesmith with the shackles! I also chip 3 more wounds onto gotrek from the multiple spell procs and warpgale which takes him to 3 remaining.

Movement is boring.

Shooting is less boring. I kill the hearthguard unit netting me a bonus VP from my apex killing one of his!

I score 6 points

He declares conquer for the easy 2 points and fails to dispel shackles again.

Movement is a wash, with him pulling the vulkites onto the objective and otherwise kerfuffling around.

He didn't want to pull the last hearthguard brick over to the left objective because he knew I would just move the clanrats to the center and take that one from him since he wasn't able to kill enough of them with shooting and couldn't get into combat with em.

Shooting killed a few more clanrats. No combat.

He scores 5 points

Score is 14-11 skaven.

I win priority again!

END OF TURN 3 

Reveal hidden contents

2126836092_turn3.jpg.cb884b972e9a8a8966ff0d650494e4bc.jpg

TURN 4

I declare Monstrous Takeover for the easy thanquol grab.

I know I need to get that center objective for the additional points this turn so I choose to dispel WLV and throw my clanrat block up to snag the objective. I also manuever my left clanrats to ensure that it's an impossible charge for his berserkers and hit them with warpgale so they can't come steal my left objective.

Stormfiends only kill 3 Hearthguard since I ran out of warp sparks.

I score 5 points but know that's the last turn I'm gonna be able to contest 2 objectives...

He starts his turn and declares broken ranks. He dispels shackles and shoots like 8 more wounds off of Thanquol who had been quietly healing in the corner not bothering anyone. So he's back on 11 wounds taken.

Gotrek blends the clanrat block.

He scores 5 points

Score at the end of 4 is 19-16. It's coming down to the wire.

I win priority for turn 5!

END OF TURN 4 

Reveal hidden contents

211227912_turn4.jpg.cddea6b4a5513186baa1e0790555844f.jpg

Turn 5 

Coming off this lucky priority streak I realize that he only has one priest remaining and that he's taken 2 chip wounds from all the spells.

I declare savage spearhead for an easy 2 points with Thanquol and the back clanrat unit easily being in the weird opponent's territory of the scenario.

I cast a bunch of spells and the stormfiends go "brrrrt" into the last priest and kill him.

At this point we call the game. I would get 3 points for the turn. I figured the 10 berserkers and Gotrek would probably kill the stormfiends for the apex predator point and he would get his savage spearhead battle tactic which would give him a total of 6 points.

So final score would be 22-22, a tie?!?!

BUT NO!

Grand strategy kicks in and final score is 25-22 skaven!!

Thanquol gets his victory over Gotrek in an extremely close game.

END OF TURN 5 (as we're halfway putting models away)

Reveal hidden contents

2074906191_turn5.jpg.7bdfb55244362cae5b62d99c699b0e8d.jpg

Postgame Throughts:

Ok so that was a bit of an unusual game where my opponent could happily ignore my magical damage output which is a huge part of this list. However, his lack of dispels meant that I could easily cast MMWP and not have to worry about the stormfiends not being juiced up. I did get seriously lucky with the double turn and subsequent priority rolls and my opponent did make 2 huge mistakes so I'm aware this wasn't a victory easily replicated. That being said, here's my analysis and grades of my units for anyone interested. 

Thanquol (B): He is excellent at casting WLV and warpgale. But I can cast those with any grey seer and it's an absolute joke that Gotrek is only 30 points more. The warpfire throwers were pretty wasted against my opponent but as my only monster and also general, he's not really tanky enough to survive concentrated removal. For 405 points, I feel like I could replace him without losing too much efficiency and add some more bodies. But, warpgale is an insanely good spell for what this army wants to do and Thanquol is really the only reliable caster for it. 

Warlock Bombardier and Engineer (A-): Did exactly what they needed to do but often I didn't really have spells for them to cast since they were pretty far in my backlines to ensure the stormfiends got MMWP. I think I'll definitely swap out vigordust for the esoteric warp resonator for the free warpstone spark each round. Stormfiends really need the spark to do damage and I need to do whatever I can to properly buff them. Bombardier did about 3 wounds all game with his rocket but hey, damage is damage. 

Clanrats (A)- Yeah they do exactly what they're supposed to. 40 of em can survive quite a bit of shooting and the +2 to running means they can scuttle around super well. You know em, you love em. 

Stormfiends (A): They killed 10 Aurics, 13 Hearthguard, and a Runesmiter. They clearly are the stars here and the MVPs of the game. Only issue with them is that I ran out of warpsparks on turn 4 and that's absolutely crippling for their output. Obviously a star unit but you really have to sink resources into them to make 'em worthwhile.

Warp Lightning Vortex (B-): Tough game to be a WLV. It's a great spell that still blows enormous holes in your opponent's army. Pinning them with clanrats and then just booming away is excellent against any buff-heavy bubble army that doesn't ignore spell effects on a 4+

Soulsnare Shackles (A+): The real MVP's of the game. Adding an extra layer of protection for the Stormfiends while ensuring that the clanrat brick continually threatens to push up for objectives is unbelievably huge. Unfortunately there are multiple points of failure- I can fail to cast it, it can be dispelled, or it can be dispelled in the opponent's turn. For armies that don't do a lot of magic, it's amazing. But I'll definitely keep messing around with it. 

All in all, this army did pretty well against a really very competitive Fyreslayer list. Being able to make Gotrek move roughly 4" a turn and keep him out of my army until turn 4 was game defining. The threat of unleash hell with Stormfiends is also a big mind**** for your opponents, even though without the warpsparks, the fiends don't do a whole lot.

I think for the next game I'm gonna consider dropping Thanquol and trying to get some more bodies in there. 2x10 plague monks would be excellent gnawhole jumpers while being able to actually threaten small units. That leaves me like 250 points to mess with... 

That's a great batrep and very interesting to read. How was the lack of a bell/warpseer for BS immunity? I think it should still be manageable, but not everyone always agrees with me 😉

My standard list looks somewhat similar and in general I have Thanquol included. However, against certain opponents I also drop him, since he does not always make up for his points then. I would personally include a unit of 6 jezzails. It's decent MW output and together with the windlaunchers, you could do some nice hero sniping. 

2 hours ago, Le Chef said:

That's a great batrep and very interesting to read. How was the lack of a bell/warpseer for BS immunity? I think it should still be manageable, but not everyone always agrees with me 😉

My standard list looks somewhat similar and in general I have Thanquol included. However, against certain opponents I also drop him, since he does not always make up for his points then. I would personally include a unit of 6 jezzails. It's decent MW output and together with the windlaunchers, you could do some nice hero sniping. 

Thanks! Honestly this army doesn't really fight people on multiple fronts so saving a CP for battleshock immunity is all I needed. You can see in the report that I pretty much never had to worry about rolling for battleshock but if things had gone a little differently then things might have been dicey. 

That being said, the only battleshock I'd be concerned about would be the stormfiends and the big block of rats, so I'm not sure including the immunity would be worth the price of a bell/furnace in this list. 

I wish I owned jezzails. They seem real good haha

• Thanks 1

Went to a small 1-dayer this weekend and played 3 games of 3.0. It was 1000pts and I took a Bombardier, 6 stormfiends, 20 clanrats and 10 stormvermin. Won a practice game against a friends CoS and then went 2-1, winning against new SCE and NH but losing to a very strong SBGL list. At 1k the games weren't really interesting enough to go into detail but here's my take away, though some of this is just confirming what I previously assumed:

- I ended up basically tabling all my opponents (we called the 3rd game before I tabled the SBGL player because I was too far behind to catch up in VPs), but they were all close on points. Deathstars are hard to win consistently with. They don't play objectives well and if they underperform, which fiends without buffs will, you have nothing. I didn't plan on getting 9 stormfiends and I'm even more convinced now that they'll be neither fun nor consistent enough to be worth taking to tournaments. I heard a 9 fiend list won one of the first big 3.0 tournaments though so what do I know.

- Stormfiends feels jankier and more dependent on MMMWP than ever. With vigordust and MMMWP up their UH absolutely slap when the SGBL got their ambushing knights into my screen turn 1 the unbuffed UH did practically nothing. Vigordust is huge for UH, especially if MMMWP isn't up. MMMWP is harder to get off now as well as heroic willpower pretty much ensures your opponent always has an unbind in range.

- Rally on stormfiends is nuts. In my practice game I brought 3 fiends back total and it was game changing. It turned a losing game to a crushing win. Fantastic Hail Mary pass if things goes south and it means you always have a way to claw your way back into the game.

- New Gnawholes will take some getting used to. On one hand they are insanely flexible as any unit within 17.9" can just run up to it can teleport, but on the flipside your hero needs to be within 6" at the end of the phase which often leads to them being stuck in the back line. This was more of an issue since I only ran a single hero so we'll see how it feels at 2000pts. 

- 3.0 in general is a lot more complex, or at least it feels that way. There are a lot more moving parts with battle tactics, grand strategies, reactive CAs, heroic actions, monster rampages and realm rules like seismic shift. 

Edited by umpac
  • Like 1

Loved the batrep @vinnyt! I faced off against Gotrek too with this Moulder list:

Allegiance: Skaventide
- Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence
- Triumph: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Thanquol on Boneripper (405) in Battle Regiment
Thanquol on Boneripper
- General
- 4 Warpfire Braziers
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy

- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon (1 Spell Enhancement)

Master Moulder (95) in Command Entourage
- Artefact: Rabid Crown

Battleline
6 x Rat Ogors (285) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Mutation: Toughened Sinews
- Reinforced x 2
6 x Rat Ogors (285) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Mutation: Insanely Rabid
- Reinforced x 2
6 x Giant Rats (40) in Battle Regiment

Behemoths
Hell Pit Abomination (240) in Battle Regiment
- Mutation: Toughened Sinews
Hell Pit Abomination (240)
- Mutation: Never-never Die-die

Endless Spells & Invocations
Warp Lightning Vortex (90)

Core Battalions
Command Entourage - Magnificent (Extra Enhancement)
Battle Regiment
Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Spell (Flaming Weapon for Thanquol)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

I managed to pull Gotrek down with 4 Insanely Rabid rat ogors that I had cast death frenzy on! The sheer weight of attacks they ****** out, along with re-roll wounds from the Master Moulder bearing the rabid crown, is grrrooosssss.

Was also not so impressed by Thanquol, he never managed a heroic-recovery roll, and I want to replace him with a grey seer on foot so I can run a third Hellpit abomination and spam more giant rat screens. The giant rats were mvp; they held up my Free City opponent's chaff line of freeguild guard with shields hilariously long, and slowed the advance of his demigryph knights.

It was a loss for me in the end though, as a double turn allowed my opponent to rally his disengaged unit of 20 phoenix guard...I brought them down to like 3 models or less on three occasions during the game, but just couldn't finish them off! A third hellpit will surely help muhahahaha yes-yes.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, BeerBoar said:

Was also not so impressed by Thanquol

I play Thanquol quite regularly and find him very swingy. He’s taken out Treelords in a single round before, and then completely whiffed sometimes. I play him with the 4 braziers like you. Maybe switching out 2 or all of them for the fire throwers might have helped you with the 20 Phoenix guard? Just a thought 😁

But i’m with you on the rabid rat ogres. My favourite unit at the moment and somewhat underestimated by your frenemy.

Edited by Cosmicsheep
  • LOVE IT! 1

Played Veins of Ghur against an OBR opponent running Arkhan. Thanquol was the MVP of the game--even with only 2 Warpfire Throwers, his Unleash Hell wiped 20 Mortek Guard. In the next shooting phase, he wiped out 20 more Mortek Guard!

Also, his small-ish base makes it so much easier to Scurry out of combat. Thoroughly impressed so far.

• Like 2

I used him with 4 Warp fire throwers and he wrecked an ogre gluttens block that was bs immune and deathfrenzy was very useful and reliable on rat ogres and Wolf rats... That and if he gets charged just burn what ever charges him and then retreat him off taking minimal Wounds...  

• LOVE IT! 1

SO, everyone keeps saying, oh this is the monster edition, oh we like monsters, oh you need monster heroes, etc, etc. Well that may be true but I don't play SKAVEN to not run unwashed hordes of rats. 

That's right, it's time for another Battle Report!!! 2000 points versus Stormcast with the new Dominion goodies.

Our heroes:

Spoiler

horde_army_pic.jpg.4f32c3659c68332ebcc916125fac7eea.jpg

Bombardier general w/ Deranged Inventor and MMWP

Engineer w/warp spark generator and MMWP

Plague Priest on Furnace w/ Curse

40 Clanrats in Hunters

20 Clanrats

20 Clanrats

6 Stormfiends in Hunters

20 Plague monks

10 Plague monks

WLV

1990 points, 3 drops, and a crispy 110 rattos (total wounds: 171ish)

Our dastardly, mostly unpainted foes! 

Spoiler

1677180182_stormcastarmy.jpg.c2003251711acf3316fbd483e96801e3.jpg

Hammers of Sigmar:

Yndrasta

Gav

New character with Dog Friend

Banner boi of rezzing models

3x5 Liberators

2x3 Annihilators

10 Evocators

3 Praetors

We roll up the classic scenario with 3 central objectives and one's an alpha. 

DEPLOYMENT

Spoiler

deployment.jpg.4b0f41cfd8253c6d43a7b3e1988c6552.jpg

He puts both annihilators, Gav, banner guy, and evocators in deep strike.

I knew he was gonna put guys into deepstrike and as a KO player, I knew that denying cheeky deepstrikes was the clear path to victory. I also knew that with a huge part of his army off the table, I would be able to swarm the objectives with a ridiculous number of bodies, as is the skaven way.

I give him first turn and the far left objective is worth double!

TURN ONE

Spoiler

1073323713_turn1mark.jpg.f59afd1e5900ed3c83cb7230d99afb22.jpg

He picks Ferocious Advance with the Yndrasta bunker

He starts by rolling a 2 to run the leftmost liberators which means they aren't in range to cap the alpha objective which means that he has to bring down an Annihilator unit to make sure he gets the 2 points. They kill like 6 rats and don't bother the Furnace with the Deepstrike shenanigans. The furnace redeploys towards them. Otherwise stuff just moves up to get objectives and runs for the battle tactic. The right Gnawhole draws first blood by killing a liberator by being deadly.

I start by declaring Ferocious Advance and then immediately casting MMWP and WLV as is tradition. WLV punks some clanrats and some liberators. Furnace fails to curse the annihilators. The Furnace never got a prayer off all game so yeah.

I then swarm tf out of the objectives while chaining out the plague monks to stop cheeky deepstrikes and keeping the 10 man monk unit back to screen out the DS while also being a gnawhole threat.

In the Skaven phase, the Stormfiends forget to use all out attack but still kill the central liberators and like 1.5 Annihilators.

Then the Furnace charges the Annihilators and removes them from the game with d3+4 mortal wounds.

I easily score all the objectives.and my battle tactic with the big block, engineer, and rightmost clanrat unit.

Score is 6-6, alpha objective goes to the center, and stormcast win priority for turn 2!

TURN 2

Spoiler

1751050940_turn2marked.jpg.bdfdfb06025e7daf0f1a44915748733f.jpg

Stormcast declare Savage Spearhead.

Hero phase is nonexistent beyond him dispelling my WLV with a heroic action.

He decides to escalate the pressure by bringing on the other unit of Annihilators to push the left objective. They kill a few more rats with the deepstrike bomb thing. Otherwise he moves up the right liberators and the Yndrasta bubble.

He misses Yndrasta's shot and the charges begin. He charges the Annihilators into the Furnace, Liberators into the 20 plague monks, and the Liberators into my right clanrat unit. He decides to not charge Yndrasta into the clanrat block because the MMWP stormfiends would really really really really like to Unleash Hell on her and the charge would take her out of Praetor range. Him waiting to declare if she would charge meant that the annihilators don't have to eat the shots since I was saving that reaction for the Yndrasta charge.

Combat starts and he goes with the Annihilators first and they show why -1 rend is kinda useless by doing 4 wounds to the Furnace. The Furnace then does the classic "roll a 1 for the Censer" thing and does no damage back. The Liberators kill like 4 plague monks who then kill 3 liberators back. The right Liberators kill 4ish clanrats and lose one in response.

He scores 3 points (1 for left objective and 2 for battle tactic).

I choose Aggressive Expansion for the auto points since I control 2 objectives on the centerline already.

Hero phase is lame and I only cast MMWP. Vortex fails even with a spark reroll.

I decide to get up in there and pin Yndrasta so she can't kill my general or be annoying.

Movement phase involves me retreating the plague monks to screen my back line while bringing in the Clanrats to steal that objective back. Otherwise it's pretty uneventful.

Stormfiends eliminate another 1.5 Annihilators and also all the Praetors. The Warlock engineer kills a liberator with his pistol!!!!

I charge the clanrats into the Liberator/Annihilator combat just in time for the plague furnace to bonk the annihilators for like 4 wounds, leaving one wounded one left. The leftmost liberators kill like 3 clanrats who then kill another one which is cool. The right-side slap fight continues but I outnumber him like 10:1 so I don't even care.

Yndrasta, absolute goddess of the Stormcast kills 6 clanrats.

I get 6 points, the alpha objective stays in the middle and the score is 12-9 skaven with stormcast winning priority for turn 3!

TURN 3

Spoiler

1479214597_turn3mark.jpg.85759ef240e320c60c48911d3a62fa81.jpg

Alrighty this is it, the turn where the Chosen of Sigmar sweep away the vermintide in righteous lightning!

He declares Conquer for the middle objective.

Hero phase is boring. Yndrasta gets ~value~ by bringing back a free Annihilator which is cool.

He brings down Gav, the Evocators, and the Banner boi to finish off the big brick o' rats.

He shoots like 3 rats to death and then CHARGES with everything at plus a million rerolling charges. Well the Stormfiends get to use that Unleash hell and plink off 2 Evocators. However, the Evocators show why -1 rend is useless and some All Out Defense on the clanrats means that between them and Yndrastra, only like 20 die, leaving me with 11 wee rattos. BUT, he sneakily brought the evocators within 3" of the fiends and blasts them for 7 mortals. The fiends take this kinda personal like and pile in, killing 2 evocators since MMWP is still active.

The Furnace wipes out the annihilators and the left clanrats kill the last liberator.

It turns out that he has (2+2+6) bodies for objectives which is less than the 11 rattos and 2 stormfiend "bodies".

So he scores 0 points for the turn.

At this point we call it since I'll score 6 points easily by retreating out of combat and holding that center objective. I'll also easily shoot the evocators to death with the Fiends and then it's Yndrasta vs literally my whole army.

SKAVEN WIN!!!!

WRAP UP

Ok yeah this list is way better than the Thanquol list.

The Skryre twins are awesome and do what they do with practically unlimited warpsparks. They also cast very very well and are soooo cheap.

Plague Furnace is actually really good. The Battleshock bubble was EXTREMELY helpful and the mortal wounds in CC basically mean it wins vs elite units. 4+ armor 5+ ward is sliiiiightly squishy but you should just shoot whatever can punch through that easily.

This list has the bodies to swarm objectives AND screen out any deepstrike. The Stormfiends are extremely good as always. I think 6 might actually edge out 9 for me because 9 seems like overkill almost all the time and having 40 bodies in front of them mean that I don't really have to worry about stuff just blowing through my screen. All out defense clanrats for a "4+" save is insanely good.

I think I just play this list as is for next time! Who needs Verminlords?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:08 PM, Cosmicsheep said:

Maybe switching out 2 or all of them for the fire throwers might have helped you with the 20 Phoenix guard? Just a thought 😁

But i’m with you on the rabid rat ogres. My favourite unit at the moment and somewhat underestimated by your frenemy.

Ohhhh dude I agree hahaha the phoenix guard are just such a pain, and the throwers would help deal with them! 

Glad to hear you also appreciate the value of our my favourite creations :D

On 7/23/2021 at 4:36 PM, greg19190 said:

I used him with 4 Warp fire throwers and he wrecked an ogre gluttens block that was bs immune and deathfrenzy was very useful and reliable on rat ogres and Wolf rats... That and if he gets charged just burn what ever charges him and then retreat him off taking minimal Wounds...  

Hmmmm I like this a lot...I keep forgetting that I can bail from combats I am 'uninterested' in or find 'beneath me'.

hehehe