5kaven5lave

@SoSoCho I'd recommend the furnace. The most useful traits and artifacts benefit units with prayers and the verminlord doesnt do any of that. Also you can be a bit more aggressive iwth the verminlord if not your general. He's a great command point sink, using his command ability to buff himself and any monks he's with;A real independent operator. 

I learned a hard lesson- don’t go running up and attacking anyone head on with any Verminlord.  They are support characters, even in 1 to 1 matchups with 6 wound characters - we average only about 6ish attacks at 3+ / 3+ so around 2 hits at rend -2 ( low end).  Stats don’t usually show us dealing more than about 4 unsaved wounds, not enough to kill a 6 wound character.  
But, they excel in supporting with Dread Warp Gale, 2 Dispells, Dread Frenzy, etc behind or with your Plague Monks.

• Like 1

Been playing a lot of Tzeentch lately and taking a break from Skaven this month.. but I know some of you like reading my batreps so figured I would post it here too for anyone interested 😉 

Also @SoSoCho I would agree that you'll probably get a lot more mileage from the Furnace being General like Riff_Raff said. Good luck to any future games for you.

• LOVE IT! 1

19 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

Hey guys! I'm tempted to buy acolytes and jezzails from Punga Miniatures. But they're so damned expensive. Do you think any of those units might be made unplayable, like the warpgnaw verminlord? 

I would say no... but there's literally no way to tell with GW.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly; if they were going to go away, it wouldn't be for another 1-2 years when we get an updated book. And even then it could mean updated models. By the way, the Warpgnaw is still legal in matched play, it was the Clawlord on Brood Horror that only got Legends points and not Matched Play points.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 1:48 AM, Coyote said:

I learned a hard lesson- don’t go running up and attacking anyone head on with any Verminlord.  They are support characters, even in 1 to 1 matchups with 6 wound characters - we average only about 6ish attacks at 3+ / 3+ so around 2 hits at rend -2 ( low end).  Stats don’t usually show us dealing more than about 4 unsaved wounds, not enough to kill a 6 wound character.  
But, they excel in supporting with Dread Warp Gale, 2 Dispells, Dread Frenzy, etc behind or with your Plague Monks.

Running ahead with a character in a skaven army is either way wrong.

Ps: also if your interested in having a truly verminlord combatant, I’d go the Warbringer route, with the Brutal fury commandtrait and things-bane as the chosen artefact.

there aren’t many beings that will survive a perfectly aimed strike of a Warbringer.

not even Teclis will be able to survive, if your luck hasn’t ran out.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

@Riff_Raff_Rascal

@Gwendar

Would I be able teleport (spell) my verminlord next to the gnawhole in enemy territory, make him cast his spells and the teleport him back through the gnawhole in my movement phase ? It says that you can teleport a unit if 6" within the gnawhole + a hero 6" - but since verminlord is a hero he can do it alone ? Or does he need a second hero aswell to do it ?

Best regards

5 minutes ago, SoSoCho said:

@Riff_Raff_Rascal

@Gwendar

Would I be able teleport (spell) my verminlord next to the gnawhole in enemy territory, make him cast his spells and the teleport him back through the gnawhole in my movement phase ? It says that you can teleport a unit if 6" within the gnawhole + a hero 6" - but since verminlord is a hero he can do it alone ? Or does he need a second hero aswell to do it ?

Best regards

Yes, it's something a lot of people have done since the range on Warp-Lightning Vortex was nerfed. Skitterleap a wizard near one, cast WLV and whatever other spell, then teleport back in movement phase.

ive been having a fun time chatting in the Sons of Behamet discussion. that will be my second army ever and needed the complete opposite experience of skaven. whats really funny is that theyre having a big kerfuffle about being able to walk over endless spells. reminds me of the time i was confused about our doomwheels being able to run over spells. fyi: endless spells dont have a wounds characteristic. So no, ignoring models with a wounds characteristic doesnt apply here.

48 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

Are stormfiends worth using without Soul scream bridge? 

100% not necessary at all. I sometimes run 12 with a Bridge but outside of that instance it's never included. I do like to use a Warp-Grinder Team though.. but again, not necessary.

• Like 1

Are Skryre Acolytes any good as a unit of 10? I was thinking maybe at 1000 point, as a Battleline for a pure Skryre team
LEADERS
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (120)
UNITS
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
ARTILLERY
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
TOTAL: 990/1000

5 hours ago, Orchid89 said:

Are Skryre Acolytes any good as a unit of 10? I was thinking maybe at 1000 point, as a Battleline for a pure Skryre team
LEADERS
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (120)
UNITS
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120)
1 x Doomwheel (150)
ARTILLERY
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
TOTAL: 990/1000

Yes they are pretty great in units of 10.

although with buffs like vigordust injector and mmmwp, they will fie pretty easily by your own hands if your not careful enough 

13 hours ago, Gwendar said:

100% not necessary at all. I sometimes run 12 with a Bridge but outside of that instance it's never included. I do like to use a Warp-Grinder Team though.. but again, not necessary.

I've only tried 6 stormfiends twice I believe. And both times I had a hard time getting them into ratling range. Do you typically just rush them forward to get them into range?

2 hours ago, gronnelg said:

I've only tried 6 stormfiends twice I believe. And both times I had a hard time getting them into ratling range. Do you typically just rush them forward to get them into range?

I guess it just depends on the army you're playing. They aren't something that you're generally getting in range T1 without a Bridge (even then you probably can't unless you're playing on a close deployment) so you're just setting up for future turns. Always be premeasuring and know when they don't need to be screened to ensure they don't get stuck behind Clanrats or something.

Gnawholes are pretty useful if you set them up correctly.. I use those the majority of the time if I'm going second as the T2-3 double turn is usually the one that wins games. Buff em, send em through and be sure you have a wizard in range for a Spark. That gets them close enough to shoot and charge in if I need to get an objective. From there you're wanting that double and you've hopefully created enough pressure on the other side of the board that they have to decide where to go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yes they are pretty great in units of 10.

although with buffs like vigordust injector and mmmwp, they will fie pretty easily by your own hands if your not careful enough 

great!
I dont mind on converting 5 or 10 of them but not so much 20.

I am also going to convert some Jezzails as soon as Stormvermin body bits are back in stock.
I think 6 should be enough.

@Riff_Raff_Rascal

@Gwendar

So I got smacked in the tournament :( No chance :(

I dont really like being dependant on having min. 10 rats to push my furnace.

So I was thinking of trying 1 of the other clans.

Or is it legal to make a list with ex.

Skreech verminking

Thanquol

And 20x3 clan rats ?

I know il have min. 2 from masterclan and that makes it impossible to take any clan traits. (Il only get the four allegiance traits which is shared ?) But it is possible to do it like that ? Ofc il add other different units to the list without them getting clan traits

Best regards

3 hours ago, frostfire said:

Hey guys how do you deal with OBR with crawlers? Played a few games against them with my Skaven and the crawlers killed clanratz as crazy and left me without enough models to grab objectives.

Doomwheels could like @Skreech Verminking said as you could tag them (not necessarily kill them) and you can do this with Gutter Runners as well. Alternatively, send 9-12 Jezzails through a Gnawhole (just to be sure they're kept out of range T1 if they go 1st) and shoot it off. Of course... yeah if they do go first or run 2 Crawlers and you only kill 1 then it can be pretty bad on the follow up. I think Doomwheels and\or Gutter Runners are a safer bet just to keep it out of commission since it won't even be able to shoot at them if they're within 6". 

52 minutes ago, SoSoCho said:

@Riff_Raff_Rascal

@Gwendar

So I got smacked in the tournament :( No chance :(

I dont really like being dependant on having min. 10 rats to push my furnace.

So I was thinking of trying 1 of the other clans.

Or is it legal to make a list with ex.

Skreech verminking

Thanquol

And 20x3 clan rats ?

I know il have min. 2 from masterclan and that makes it impossible to take any clan traits. (Il only get the four allegiance traits which is shared ?) But it is possible to do it like that ? Ofc il add other different units to the list without them getting clan traits

Best regards

You can mix anything you want.. you get all the traits; you don't have to be pure of a certain Clan to get traits.

The only stipulation is that if you wanted to have Stormfiends\Acolytes, Plague Monks or Night Runners, etc as battleline then your entire army needs to be made up of that Clan barring having 1 Masterclan general.. otherwise you need 3x20 Clanrats as minimum battleline. Other than that, there's no restrictions to what you have access to.

So what that means is that your Skryre Wizard would get warpsparks, your Verminous Clawlors would get their command trait, Pestilens Priests would get Great Plagues... etc.

Edited by Gwendar

@SoSoCho Sorry to hear that friend. I do recommend writing a re-cap of your games somewhere, either in a small notebook or in a word doc, if only for yourself. This is just to remind you of particular moments that went wrong, could have gone better or most commonly moments where you forgot one of your rules that could have pulled you out of a situation. This is a solid step at getting better at the game overall.

I'm a bit confused about your concern with clan traits. I hope you realize that our book is very much  soup friendly army when it comes to allegiance abilities. Each individual unit, no matter what clan keyword they have, can have their clan specific allegiance abilities. For instance, if you decide to play a mixed list with half pestilens, half verminous and a masterclan hero, the plague priests can still have access to Great Plagues, Warlords still get a free command trait and masterclan heroes still get a command point refund. Most folks just drop 3xclanrats and make whatever list they want. Your idea is totally legal. 

I think the skaven community would agree that mixed lists are more reliable because of this. I didn't want to sway you from trying out a single clan from the beginning because its what you had and because I wanted to assume you find the army fun. I won't encourage you to play the same list again, since pestilens are notoriously hard to pilot for the reasons you mentioned, but that said you can only get better from here the more you play with similar lists. 

My idea for you would be to keep a core pestilens detachment, like 1-2 units of monks and a furnace in your list, so that even though your list will change around a bit, you'll still get reps in with those same units (assuming 3 clanrat/stormvermin units included). 

Slow to read @Gwendar but they beat me to the point.

Edited by Riff_Raff_Rascal
  • Like 1

Hey guys! 
I'm playing against Slaanesh tomorrow. 

Here's my list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Verminous Valour
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Warlock Bombardier (120)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
Warlock Engineer (110)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Stormvermin (400)
- Halberd

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)
- 2x Windlaunchers
- 2x Ratling Cannons
- 2x Shock Gauntlets

Artillery
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

Here's hist list: (Sorry about the botches copy paste. )

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaanesh - Host: Pretenders Host Leaders Keeper of Secrets (380) - General - Shining Aegis - Command Trait: Strength of Goodhood - Artefact: Sliverslash - Host Option: Strongest Alone - Spell: Song of Secrets Great Bray Shaman of Slaanesh (100) Keeper of Secrets (380) - Shining Aegis - Artefact: Pendant of Slaanesh - Spell: Progeny of Damnation The Contorted Epitome (210) - Lore of Slaanesh: Hysterical Frenzy Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (220) - Lore of Slaanesh: Hysterical Frenzy Battleline 10 x Ungors of Slaanesh (60) 10 x Ungors of Slaanesh (60) 10 x Ungors of Slaanesh (60) Units 30 x Bestigors of Slaanesh (300) Battalions Depraved Drove (150) Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs Umbral Spellportal (70) Total: 1990 / 2000 Extra Command Points: 1 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 110

Any help? Aside from screening and putting more than 3 inches between the screens and juicy units, what should I be doing?