5kaven5lave

On 6/10/2020 at 4:03 AM, gronnelg said:

Hey guys! I'm going to try this list against an orruk player (Big waagh, or whatever its named), and a Nurgle with thrice fold. 
What do you guys think? Any changes?

Thrice-fold will be a ton of fun for you I'm sure.. I've played against it at least 4 times with FeC, Skaven and OBR and always struggled a bit no matter my composition; killing those guys can be difficult but all in all that's generally the biggest threats in the list. Depending what the Orruk player brings could make things different as well but regardless you better hope he doesn't get a double turn as he'll likely eat through the Clanrats in 1 turn.

Either way I think you should be able to do reasonably okay; the GUO's will be harder to take down with the healing combined with their inherent defensiveness. Jezzails can dent it, but won't 1 shot them unless you have god-tier rolls and they fail all their saves. It'll likely need whittling down first but you shouldn've have much of an issue with buffed Vermin\Monks murdering them.

I've always been big on shooting>melee but I also tend to play quite retroactively which can be good against Orruks by taking a charge, hoping they don't get a double and then blasting them off the board next turn. Against Nurgle it generally works out better to be more aggressive, which you have with this. Would love to hear how it goes for you, planning to get back into games in the next couple of weeks or so.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:36 AM, Twh30 said:

Wanted some options on these 3 lists , edging towards 1 of the 2 Thanquol lists for getting death frenzy off. 

Would definitely drop 1 and would be more inclined with 2 or 3. I'm fine combining Fiends and Acolytes despite the fact they both want MMMWP. If just one of them gets MMMWP while the other gets Deranged Inventor then it isn't too bad overall (note the following has the Acolytes at 20 models and Fiends with just the shooting attacks from Ratlings + Windlaunchers) and could be used:

image.png.ffbea4fed165d701acf1df1c39672a75.png

Of course... if you fail MMMWP and only get 1 of these Deranged Inventor then the other really suffers; in that scenario I would probably give Fiends Deranged as the Acolytes can do better without buffs, especially when shooting at something with 10+ models.. but obviously this will come down to each units positioning and who can make better use of it.

For list 3, I'm not huge on running a Furnace for just 40 Monks; they generally do well enough on their own and those points could be put elsewhere like another WLC and Clanrats. I will add that throwing in another 5-10 Acolytes isn't a terrible idea either just to have a buffer against them hurting themselves. For every 5 Acolytes, you tend to lose ~5-7 damage on average.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

Hi guys, pretty new with skaven but I've been collecting and building a lot of stuff during this months. Actually I've seen the list used by @Gwendar in his blog and I like it a lot, there's some kind of improvement for that?

Anyway seems that Masterclan is the best  clan to go for competitive skaven, but I'm wondering if there's room even for moulder clan

14 minutes ago, Orphen1991 said:

Hi guys, pretty new with skaven but I've been collecting and building a lot of stuff during this months. Actually I've seen the list used by @Gwendar in his blog and I like it a lot, there's some kind of improvement for that?

Anyway seems that Masterclan is the best  clan to go for competitive skaven, but I'm wondering if there's room even for moulder clan

Well, which list are we talking about improving on because I've ran quite a few over the years 😅 not to mention I haven't been able to really play much since the pandemic started (so around middle\end of March) and the meta has changed quite a bit since I did those batreps.

We've all thrown around ideas for Moulder. Personally I don't find them worth their points as they stand and I feel the only decent things are Hellpits (when ran with 2, 1 has been dropped from my lists altogether) or units of 6+ Rat Ogres.. but the math on them doesn't really justify what they cost at 100 per 2.

Edited by Gwendar

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

Well, which list are we talking about improving on because I've ran quite a few over the years 😅 not to mention I haven't been able to really play much since the pandemic started (so around middle\end of March) and the meta has changed quite a bit since I did those batreps.

We've all thrown around ideas for Moulder. Personally I don't find them worth their points as they stand and I feel the only decent things are Hellpits (when ran with 2, 1 has been dropped from my lists altogether) or units of 6+ Rat Ogres.. but the math on them doesn't really justify what they cost at 100 per 2.

Sorry, I was talking about the last one, which use some of my favorite units: stormfiends, jezzails and the hell pit. The last one is exactly the reason I want to run a clan moulder list, double hell pit is a really big and scary threat, but yeah rat Ogres actually needs a serious improvement. 

40 minutes ago, Orphen1991 said:

Sorry, I was talking about the last one, which use some of my favorite units: stormfiends, jezzails and the hell pit. The last one is exactly the reason I want to run a clan moulder list, double hell pit is a really big and scary threat, but yeah rat Ogres actually needs a serious improvement. 

I still like Jezzails, but have been really moving towards double WLC. Or a significant points reduction to 60-70 per unit rather than 100. I think at that value they would be integrated a lot more with warscroll changes.. of course I feel the same about Stormvermin really needing to get around the 320-360 range.

But yeah, I really enjoy the HPA as an alternative to Monks. It does really well against blocks of hordes as you can fit an awful lot of bases into that 3" range to do MW's. It just doesn't stick around and the random movement can obviously be a downfall during a time you really need it. Having 2 just ups that reliability factor.. but of course at that point, you would probably be better off getting 40 Monks for less than 2 HPA's. Hard to say, but worth trying 😉

On another note, I have a game Sunday after way too long and it's against Seraphon... so I'm sure it'll go great, but we're both pretty rusty. I'll be sure to update you all with a batrep after all this time 😅

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I still like Jezzails, but have been really moving towards double WLC. Or a significant points reduction to 60-70 per unit rather than 100. I think at that value they would be integrated a lot more with warscroll changes.. of course I feel the same about Stormvermin really needing to get around the 320-360 range.

But yeah, I really enjoy the HPA as an alternative to Monks. It does really well against blocks of hordes as you can fit an awful lot of bases into that 3" range to do MW's. It just doesn't stick around and the random movement can obviously be a downfall during a time you really need it. Having 2 just ups that reliability factor.. but of course at that point, you would probably be better off getting 40 Monks for less than 2 HPA's. Hard to say, but worth trying 😉

On another note, I have a game Sunday after way too long and it's against Seraphon... so I'm sure it'll go great, but we're both pretty rusty. I'll be sure to update you all with a batrep after all this time 😅

Double WLC seems really strong, how do you play them? Do you use MMWP or even the battalion?

Can't wait for your batrep especially against such a strong army as Seraphon.

I've read that even Thanquol seems interesting besides the expensive cost and I'm planning to buy it in the near future.

2 hours ago, Orphen1991 said:

Double WLC seems really strong, how do you play them? Do you use MMWP or even the battalion?

Can't wait for your batrep especially against such a strong army as Seraphon.

I've read that even Thanquol seems interesting besides the expensive cost and I'm planning to buy it in the near future.

I can't justify the battalions unless I'm running something more "generic" with 6 Fiends but.. I'm not even sure that's worth it. Even without an Engineer to overcharge them they aren't too bad, but at that point you may get better results out of Jezzails, not sure. MMMWP does nothing for them since they don't hit or wound.. but yes, MMMWP is a given if you take Fiends or Acolytes and I wouldn't take either without that spell (and usually Deranged Inventor for a backup).

Don't know how well it will go against Seraphon as I'm not sure if he's planning to go Skink heavy or more magic\bastilidon heavy.. but this is my first pass at a list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Warpgnaw Verminlord (260)
- General
- Command Trait: Malevolent
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
- 4 Warpfire Projectors
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
10 x Night Runners (80)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
1 x Doomwheel (160)

Artillery
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bell of Doom (40)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 157

Doomwheel would be the first thing I drop in favor of more Clanrats as well as 10 Gutter Runners or 10 more Night Runners... or more Clanrats, but having deepstrike and pre-movement options would probably be better overall. I don't believe in list-tailoring, so this is my current attempt towards an all-comers list against things like Seraphon, KO, Tzeentch, etc. Issue is it can be lacking against more CC heavy armies now but.. we'll see.

Another potential alternative is drop the Doomwheel and 1 WLC to throw in 25 Acolytes and an Engineer who can overcharge the cannon for 12 shots anyway. The biggest issue I have with it is the low amount of Clanrats. I've really been trying to include 80-100 in every list like I used to do, but I really feel like Night Runners are a necessity anymore to zone out some breathing space against shooting and deepstrikes.

Anyway, I have time to practice and since NOVA was cancelled, that's one less tournament I have to "worry" about. A shame though, as I was really looking forward to it. Here's to the new GHB giving us some potential new options 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

a Verminlord warpseer

and a single grand Arch warlock, to destroy them all

How would you break up the 130 Acolytes by Unit?

I’m considering either 10x units of 10 or 6-7 units of 15 but definitely need the advice.

Sorry for double post - Subject change.

is there a list out there if every unit in AoS for every army with all their stats - I.e all their points costs, Armor Save, battlefield role, etc.?

The old WHFB Bug Red Book (BRB) had such a list in it, maybe not points per se but the Stat lines including Move and Armor Save.

Does such a community project, document exist and *Where*?

Target identification.

Well, Acolytes have Rend -2, What are all the Units in AoS that have a 5+ or 6+ Save?

And then those with no Ward?

Those are the units the Acolytes will do a bit better approaching, and targeting, especially for all the Armies I’ve never played against.

• Like 1

Alright, didn't have time to get a whole report out so I'll just post some quick recaps here rather than add it to my blog with my "blog format". So no pictures and all my bold and underlined headings.. but hey, better than nothing 😉

My List:

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- 4 Warpfire Projectors

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
10 x Night Runners (80)
10 x Night Runners (80)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave

Artillery

Bell of Doom (40)
Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 179

Seraphon List:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Seraphon
- Constellation: Koatl's Claw

Leaders
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Dominant Predator
- Artefact: Eviscerating Blade
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (210)
- War Spear
Lord Kroak (320)
- Spell: Stellar Tempest
Skink Starseer (140)
- Spell: Fiery Convocation
Skink Starpriest (120)
- Spell: Hand of Glory
Skink Priest (70)

Battleline
10 x Saurus Knights (200)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (100)
- Lances
30 x Saurus Warriors (270)
- Spears

Units
8 x Salamander Hunting Pack (160)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Bound Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 116

Battleplan was Shifting Objectives as I figured that would be easy to get back into the swing of things since we were both super out of practice from not playing for months. Anyway, I finish dropping first and let him go first. He spreads out free damage from Kroak hiding in the pyramid knocking 3 off my WLC's and 2 off the Warpgnaw and Thanquol but not much else goes on and I didn't need to worry about teleporting since he wasn't playing Starborne. That said, I tried my hardest to kill Kroak but the WLC's only wanted to roll 5-6's on the power roll so I only pushed out ~4 MW's after his 4+ if I recall. If he had Guard and\or a Astrolith I likely wouldn't have even bothered trying.

I move up 1 model onto each objective to cap them as he didn't put anything in range to cap them on his own turn, which was a bit of a mistake, although I assume he was trying to stay back to minimize what I can do if I get a double; which I did. And yeah, I really couldn't do much. I got my Warpgnaw into his 10 Knights on the right side and 1-shot them (2 ran from BS) which was nice to see, but everything else was still too far out for me to do anything with. In retrospect, I should've let him have this turn as well and played it safe in hopes I got a round 2-3 double instead... this is something I need to be better at judging.

On his round 2 turn, I don't believe much happened other than murdering one of the 20-man Clanrats on the left and 10 Night Runners, although he did take 2 objectives back, making it 10-4. He gets the double and proceeds to kill off the Warpgnaw, all but ~13 Monks and ~50 Clanrats. Things aren't looking good to me since the main objective moved to the right with his 2 Carnosaurs, but I push on.

Thanquol moves behind his remaining 12 Saurus Warriors and does 23 MW's while the WLC's finally start working (1 and 3 on power rolls) and do 11 to the Scar Vet to finish it off. I'm left just enough room to run my left side Clanrats away from the Knights and Salamanders and take back that objective from the single Priest that was holding it. Thanquol promptly charges the Starpriest holding center and smashes him into the ground, taking that one back as well putting us at 12-9.

I win the roll off and we call the game as the objective moved back to the center with Thanquol.

All in all I will say it was close, but being out of practice and flubbing up movement and double-turn priority wasn't helpful... nor was sending the Warpgnaw to his death, but I wanted to see him do that sweet 20 damage before Kroak bracketed him. Opponent said this was a woefully unoptomized list, which I would agree with wholeheartedly.. which also bothers me to think about what I could've done if this was more focused on Salamanders and Skinks like all of the top lists are doing right now.

I'm not sure what changes I will make since it was only 1 game, but Jezzails are still up in the air as are 100 Clanrats instead of 2x10 Night Runners. 1 unit may be enough, but a part of me really wants to also have 10-20 Gutter Runners for something backline as well but.. can't have it all unfortunately. I will say that I was really messed up by not having 1 big threat on the board like Acolytes or Fiends and the fact that I only had to worry about Death Frenzy was a big relief. So yeah, I'll need to change things for sure but I'm not upset by this list.. just means I need to play slightly differently.

Anyway, would love to hear your all's thoughts.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, gronnelg said:

@GwendarHow did you find the night runners? What did you use them for, and what was your thoughts on bringing them? 
As for the warpgnaw, I thought I heard it was possible to get RR1's on both to hit and wound, is that true?
Pretty cool list! 

I think I'd rather drop them to just 1x10, but they didn't get any real use at zoning things out since he wasn't playing Starborne and that's really all they're useful for in my opinion. 2x10 is good for more coverage, but I might rather have 20 more Clanrats and just have the ability to zone out one space to prevent shooting at the 1-2 things I care about most. Need more games to determine that though.

And yep, Malevolent gives RR1's to wound and you just use the generic CA to give him RR1's to hit. So yeah he'll be throwing out 20 damage like it's candy at -2 rend. Only issue with him is that he degrades absurdly fast so it's important to only get him into something that won't hit him back and doesn't put you within charge range of 2 totallynotkeeperofsecrets Carnosaurs.. but again, I knew what I was doing and I got impatient so I could see him delete a unit of Knights 😅

6 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

Oh wait, the swarms would then be outnumbered....
So, any uses? :P

There's your answer.

I think this is another case of something that was actually better before since they added a model to the unit rather restored a slain one. 240 points for 32 wounds on 8 models isn't worth it as they have no save and do no damage. They're easily wiped out altogether or get low enough to the point that restoring only 1 model isn't gonna cut it for another turn... All while most likely never outnumbering whatever they fight.

11 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

@GwendarWhat genereic CA is that? I can't find it. 

They're in GHB 2019 and the Gaming Book (which I highly recommend) I believe.

All Out Attack: RR1's to hit. Start of combat until the end of that combat phase.

All Out Defense: RR1's to save. Start of combat until the end of that combat phase.

Volley Fire: RR1's to hit. Start of shooting until the end of that shooting phase.

• Like 1

So I had a splendid game yesterday.

my army consisted of:

- Mortal Realm: Chamon
LEADERS
Skarn, engineer of Dooooom!! (120)
Warlock Bombardier
- General
- Command Trait : Deranged Inventor
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!
Snag an gruk (120)
Warlock Bombardier
- Artefact : Vial of the Fulminator
Saanok the mad (120)
Warlock Bombardier
UNITS
Shreeks mighty vermins (200)
40 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The black furred gnawers of the deep warrens (200)
The backstabbing backstabbers (200)
Stalkers of galgatresh (80)
10 x Night Runners
The mysterious mystery (80)
10 x Night Runners
Skarns miserable experiments (240)
20 x Skryre Acolytes
The deathvermins (240)
20 x Skryre Acolytes
The wheels of Doom (160)
1 x Doomwheel
The Messenger of Dooooooooooom!!! (160)
1 x Doomwheel
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
   Bell of Doom (40) shackles (40)
 TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 211
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

My opponent played a greywater fastness city of sigmar army, which consisted of:

Steam Tank with Commander (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Ghoul Mere Ranger  
Runelord (90)
Runelord (90)
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
Cogsmith (60)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
20 x Ironbreakers (260)
Steam Tank (200)
Steam Tank (200)

Units
1 x Gyrocopters (70)
10 x Irondrakes (150)
10 x Irondrakes (150)

Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Wounds: 111

we played the better part of value ( I believe, not sire though how it is could?)

as usual my friend was able to out-deploy me, and afraid and certain that my acolyte aren’t going to be in thread range of his units he let me go first.

C2082D8F-183B-4E3D-A7F7-1761499C48F0.jpeg.530119abbe7be17542d40d87264dc3d5.jpeg

so my first turn started with me  summoning and casting bell of doom and  mmmwp onto one of my doomwheels. I moved them both up shuffled my clanrats on the left and middle of the board towards his gunline and scurried back with my clanrats on the right flank, to keep them well and alive.

In the shooting phase it wen’t all down to me rolling badly, which ended in me loosing 300points worth of models in a friendly shooting phase (at least we had a blast at laughing).
076E5955-89C4-474B-80BA-8DFF4FBBA370.jpeg.e6b2dc3a8490252f9ae5dd2cee3e0f4f.jpegB221E328-346F-42E9-95C3-D80C52AD99B1.jpeg.42583c40c601fbc5099af7a815de8cbf.jpeg3D440BC7-17D1-4973-A032-0518E87B1DD6.jpeg.7500ba58d231195ca5a59a37d734f273.jpeg6E6CD99F-6DE8-43F3-A413-B26F88929F06.jpeg.902a994b8d662eb4971f09943b45aa89.jpeg

I sadly rolled a double one on my wheel of doom which got buffed by my warlord with the deranged inventor rule, now he still killed a few dwarfs but died horribly afterwards.

My warlock bombardier(s) known as Snag and Ruk had a similar fate as the doomwheel and died of too mich poisoned gas, as my roll of a 1 ended their fate of a glorious bombardment.

Saanok at least barely survived his rocket exploding in front of him, leaving him with 2 wounds remaining.

so yeah first turn ended with me taking more casualties then my opponent.

Althoygh I was able to destroy a unit of 10Irondrakes with my doomwheels.

In my opponents first turn he summoned the emerald liveswarm, and brought I believe a few Ironbreakers, which I had killed a few in the previous movement phase.

He then went on with shooting and well shoot a few clanrats and my last remaining doomwheel of the table.

thankfully I won the role of and Moved everything up.

I captured his left and right objective markers, burnt the one I was controlling in my middle and one of his on his right flank, which ended with me gaining 3point to 0.

in his turn he killed of my remaining clanrats on my left flank and those in the middle with his shooting and ended it with some dead acolytes, although he lost his gyrocopter to a few clanrats in combat, which meant that he has now lost his most maneuverable unit.

we rolled of again and he won priority, with which he killed of Saanok and my last few remaining clanrats as well as my night runners and basically the Rest of my army.
knowing that he was unable to win anything back, I burned both of my objective on my side taking another 8points.

And for a glorious end my general and last remaining model on the table dropped his poisoned wind globe, which ended his live rhanks to me rolling a 1 to hit again😂.

the game ended with me winning (11-10)

A70632C8-20FF-4835-97B0-0CF6C96C757C.jpeg

C79F9AD9-FD8F-4BAB-A510-C6DC971C60F4.jpeg

B7A402CA-8228-432E-8026-076EB28C5C09.jpeg

979789D4-3CF4-4EAD-913E-86666C3D71EF.jpeg

DED8DDD6-B751-45AC-A242-AF72A9BDE66B.jpeg

89C6CD17-DD93-44EC-849B-F88AF7E9CADB.jpeg

ADF8AD0D-E403-469F-A384-2D89FA3740E3.jpeg

BAB24771-E8E9-4616-B24E-7C1B06CAD554.jpeg

55DB557E-74C5-436E-9D72-26095B113DD8.jpeg

• Like 2

@Skreech Verminking Nice to see the double Doomwheel is working for you. To be honest I've been thinking of doing the same and dropping the WLC's to see what I can do with them. Rolling poorly on multiple 2\4d6 rolls isn't exactly reliable, but neither is rolling a 4-6 on a power roll or needing to fish for 6's on Jezzails 😉. Anything you would change? 2x20 Acolytes something you still believe you would roll with?

In other news, here's v2 of what I used yesterday. Few things to swap around potentially but curious to see how it will work. I'm still on the fence about dropping some things to include 20-30 Acolytes + an Engineer since I wouldn't be able to fit Fiends:

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- 4 Warpfire Projectors

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
10 x Night Runners (80)
15 x Gutter Runners (180)
1 x Doomwheel (160)
1 x Doomwheel (160)

Bell of Doom (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 184

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

1)Anything you would change? 2x20 Acolytes something you still believe you would roll with?

2)In other news, here's v2 of what I used yesterday. Few things to swap around potentially but curious to see how it will work. I'm still on the fence about dropping some things to include 20-30 Acolytes + an Engineer since I wouldn't be able to fit Fiends:

1) no not in particularly, or at least at first.

I had the last few times pretty bad luck, considering how much damage I’ve taken by myself.

and considering that I still believe that my list may be ok-ish to great when you roll a bit better then what I’ve been rolling that battle, this might actually do great.

as for changes, I’m thinking of taking a unit of 9jezzails instead of 2x20 Acolytes (still keeping one) since not having anything that can deal damage from afar really hurts a lot, especially when your playing against a already heavy shooting army, that Isn’t trying to teleport more then 9inches away from your lines.

On paper I think my list is probably perfectly made to keep up with the stuff we’re currently seeing on tournaments,

But should I face a fun/fluff players who just unpacks his somewhat semi shooting greywater list out of the blue with no teleporting option and my acolytes will be at a pretty bad spot

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rangeltoft said:

Question about the Redmaw Plague:

If i count the hero as friendly, does that mean that my opponent need to count it as an enemy model for that combat phase i.e he needs to attack it if there are models within range?

/Cheers Rangeltoft

The way I understand it, this is the case.

after-all he is considered a part of your army for that duration of the plague.