5kaven5lave

18 minutes ago, Malakhov said:

I don't care about the head either. So all is have to do is magnetize both arms? Hmm, might take that project...

Mine has a customer built head that combines the eshin mask with the warpseer horns and hair and the blade off the war bringers helmet so it fits anyway.

Oh about magentizing the arms you're gonna want some hard drying putty like green stuff or procreate to make little "shelves" inside the models chest because it is hollow where the arms connect and you need something to attach it too.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Mine has a customer built head that combines the eshin mask with the warpseer horns and hair and the blade off the war bringers helmet so it fits anyway.

Oh about magentizing the arms you're gonna want some hard drying putty like green stuff or procreate to make little "shelves" inside the models chest because it is hollow where the arms connect and you need something to attach it too.

I will build him standing on the structure and magnetize both arms. Will try and see what you did there with the head.

Damn I'll need putty but I can't get out of the house right now to get some putty. I'll check what the cheapest option is for that. Thanks!

I posted him over in the... march painting contract thread? If you want an idea. There you go.

The right arm actually fits in pretty snugly as that's not glued in and you might be able to get away with blue tac but I'd say magnets to be safe. You dont NEED putty to magnetize it, you'd just be stuck kind of guessing on where to drill in the magnets without them.

One mistake I made in putting him on the base but with the glaive was I had him too far to one side and the base of the glaive overhung his base so be careful for that.

If I'm not mistaken you can build everything but the corruptor by magnetizing the right arm and left hand. I'm pretty sure the deceivers left hand is in the same position as the glaive option.

20200317_211915.jpg

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I posted him over in the... march painting contract thread? If you want an idea. There you go.

The right arm actually fits in pretty snugly as that's not glued in and you might be able to get away with blue tac but I'd say magnets to be safe. You dont NEED putty to magnetize it, you'd just be stuck kind of guessing on where to drill in the magnets without them.

One mistake I made in putting him on the base but with the glaive was I had him too far to one side and the base of the glaive overhung his base so be careful for that.

If I'm not mistaken you can build everything but the corruptor by magnetizing the right arm and left hand. I'm pretty sure the deceivers left hand is in the same position as the glaive option.

20200317_211915.jpg

Very nice!

I will get epoxy putty for the magnets in the arm pits, easier than to mess around and guessing where to drill for the magnets.

Guess Ill glue him to the base with his glaive last to be sure to dont get that glaive problem.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Malakhov

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Gluing the glaive last was the problem lol. Just put him and the glaive on the base dry fit and mark the location to glue him later.

I glued his body on first and the glaive can only go in one place so that's why the overhang.

Ah, got it. Quite a project to start, let's see how this turns out. Thanks

3 hours ago, Darkhan said:

I did about 7 games with 3 or 4 rattling gunners,  sometimes they all failed, blew themselves up and total missfailure😭 Other times they did good enough.  True, they double the 2xd6 attacks when overcharged compared to fiends 3xd6, but when 3x of the rattlers rolls attacks that are 1 + 2, 2+2, 2+2 you want to cry😂

How did they do vs other shooting/ranged armies? 

They are a cool unit and I had a alternative model in mind but I play vs alot of spell and shooting forces, just assumed they'd get sniped easily without investing into the bridge spell that was mentioned earlier

13 minutes ago, Gypsy_Pistolero said:

How did they do vs other shooting/ranged armies? 

They are a cool unit and I had a alternative model in mind but I play vs alot of spell and shooting forces, just assumed they'd get sniped easily without investing into the bridge spell that was mentioned earlier

Tbh, I have not played with them against shooting armies, well...one was chaos dwarves, other was Sylvaneth, total ****** in the Sylvaneth game, they totally failed.
But overall, people tend to ignore them, unfamiliar skaven unit..looks harmless😂 Until they start shooting buffed up.
That's why you have 2-3 other big threats in the list, take the focus to them:)

Edited by Darkhan
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Twh30 said:

Cool keep us posted. Currently converting up 30 acolytes . Like the hpa for the anti horde instead of monks . The idea of the list I posted was to make ur opponent question whether to take 1st turn or not. If they do will have to hit screens (if deployed right) leaving open to counter attack from the shooting. Also the warpseer giving bs security means will have to completely kill screens to get rid of them. 

5 hours ago, Twh30 said:

Could doomwheel be better more mobile option to rattling guns? Especially putting in back of enemy lines to disrupt? 

People will almost always make us go first due to all the short range shooting; if they can get a double then they can deal with it through CC or shooting.. so yeah, the best you're hoping for is for them to not remove your Clanrats screens T1 or for them to not get the double so you can counter.

As for the Doomwheel, I see it as more of a hero-killer much like Jezzails.. not that it can't deal with other things but I don't know that it quite compares at all to the pure damage of some Ratlings, especially when it's speed can leave it out of range of anything. It's great against Hallowheart lists where it can zoom across 2-3 of those squishy Battlemages and then shoot them off the board 😉

5 hours ago, Darkhan said:

I did about 7 games with 3 or 4 rattling gunners,  sometimes they all failed, blew themselves up and total missfailure😭 Other times they did good enough.  True, they double the 2xd6 attacks when overcharged compared to fiends 3xd6, but when 3x of the rattlers rolls attacks that are 1 + 2, 2+2, 2+2 you want to cry😂

Oh yeah, Fiends will almost always be more consistent.. I've just been wanting to try them myself but I can still easily fit in 3 threats by using 6 Fiends, 9 Jezzails and an HPA which works well enough. Subbing the Fiends for 3 Ratlings, 30 Acolytes and potentially a Doomwheel just leaves more bases potentially covered.

But yeah, overall it can suffer from other shooting\magic armies. I'm the only Skaven player in my area so I have a bit of an advantage until people start understanding what my threats are, like our Seraphon player. He can easily just Comets Call all 3 of the Ratlings off the table in 1 Hero Phase\negate the Bridge and prevent them from doing much.. and still Comets Call them off.. man, I really miss my 1x9 Fiends.

Hey guys quick question. Does this read enough to be a Skryre acolyte?

I know they usually have backpacks but I feel like it makes the model a little too busy (had a tester laying around) and plus I dont wanna buy 60 more skitarri backpacks. So what do you think? Simple and sweet but does it look like an acolyte?

20200323_204929.jpg

@The Red King I guess it depends on the TO for anything like that.. generally I see a lot of leeway with it (despite what the pack may say) so I don't tend to worry about it. For casual then sure, I think it looks fine and I've seen people do the same kind of thing.

For reference, here are mine with Irondrake Guns on them as "Poison Globe Launchers" and I've yet to have a problem. When the unit costs so much, people tend to be a lot cooler about literally any conversion with them 😅

IMG_20190929_145600.jpg.165bedc2effa763e62938e377b7c2b84.jpg

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Hey guys quick question. Does this read enough to be a Skryre acolyte?

I know they usually have backpacks but I feel like it makes the model a little too busy (had a tester laying around) and plus I dont wanna buy 60 more skitarri backpacks. So what do you think? Simple and sweet but does it look like an acolyte?

20200323_204929.jpg

Looks good to me. Think more important is the base size tbh as long as right should be ok, here are mine .

59F14CC2-DE9B-448A-BCE4-5B410F2E06D2.jpeg

16D282B9-1099-4064-AB62-616FAEA02D11.jpeg

I’m pretty new skaven player , so it may have been done or thought of before but putting a plague priest on foot in unit of monks or sending through gnawhole to Adidas our mortal wounds could be pretty tasty. And only 80 points . Any thoughts on this? 

1 hour ago, Twh30 said:

I’m pretty new skaven player , so it may have been done or thought of before but putting a plague priest on foot in unit of monks or sending through gnawhole to Adidas our mortal wounds could be pretty tasty. And only 80 points . Any thoughts on this? 

Only that you’d usually rather be more interested in a Grey seer or Warlock engineer, to buff up your units of plague monks, or skryre weapon teams/ war-maschines.

bit I think fir a cheap option, and if you just have 80points left, he can actually be a good choice.

sometimes any hero that can keep your units from running away with a cp, will become a winning factor for your army 

6 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Only that you’d usually rather be more interested in a Grey seer or Warlock engineer, to buff up your units of plague monks, or skryre weapon teams/ war-maschines.

bit I think fir a cheap option, and if you just have 80points left, he can actually be a good choice.

sometimes any hero that can keep your units from running away with a cp, will become a winning factor for your army 

So the thinking with priest and lot magic about can’t b unbound which is quite a draw 

17 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

So the thinking with priest and lot magic about can’t b unbound which is quite a draw 

That’s true, but what the skaven are lacking most of the time is support for your units.

and when you have the change of taking deathfrenzy as a spell you’d rather go for that.

mortal wounds are great but that, really isn’t much of a problem for us considering we have a ton of stuff that can deal high rend damage or just plainly throw out mortal wounds as if it were candy at a street parade.

if your going with the plague priest theme, I think you best bet would be the preist on furnace, since his buffs are actually pretty good.

now I’m not saying that the priest on foot is bad or anything like wise.

he is actually a great model, and although he has lost some of his greatest buff, he is literally our cheapest hero option, which makes him an incredible pick for an army that has around 80points remaining.

an I think spamming him might actually be kinda good.

but that’s something I would have to try out first before I can be certain

4 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

That’s true, but what the skaven are lacking most of the time is support for your units.

and when you have the change of taking deathfrenzy as a spell you’d rather go for that.

mortal wounds are great but that, really isn’t much of a problem for us considering we have a ton of stuff that can deal high rend damage or just plainly throw out mortal wounds as if it were candy at a street parade.

if your going with the plague priest theme, I think you best bet would be the preist on furnace, since his buffs are actually pretty good.

now I’m not saying that the priest on foot is bad or anything like wise.

he is actually a great model, and although he has lost some of his greatest buff, he is literally our cheapest hero option, which makes him an incredible pick for an army that has around 80points remaining.

an I think spamming him might actually be kinda good.

but that’s something I would have to try out first before I can be certain

This is all very true was just looking at a list that has at least 3 threats him being the cheap 4th that will probably b ignored . But if I can get fldwath frenzy in also would be great tbh. 

16 hours ago, Gwendar said:

People will almost always make us go first due to all the short range shooting; if they can get a double then they can deal with it through CC or shooting.. so yeah, the best you're hoping for is for them to not remove your Clanrats screens T1 or for them to not get the double so you can counter.

As for the Doomwheel, I see it as more of a hero-killer much like Jezzails.. not that it can't deal with other things but I don't know that it quite compares at all to the pure damage of some Ratlings, especially when it's speed can leave it out of range of anything. It's great against Hallowheart lists where it can zoom across 2-3 of those squishy Battlemages and then shoot them off the board 😉

Oh yeah, Fiends will almost always be more consistent.. I've just been wanting to try them myself but I can still easily fit in 3 threats by using 6 Fiends, 9 Jezzails and an HPA which works well enough. Subbing the Fiends for 3 Ratlings, 30 Acolytes and potentially a Doomwheel just leaves more bases potentially covered.

But yeah, overall it can suffer from other shooting\magic armies. I'm the only Skaven player in my area so I have a bit of an advantage until people start understanding what my threats are, like our Seraphon player. He can easily just Comets Call all 3 of the Ratlings off the table in 1 Hero Phase\negate the Bridge and prevent them from doing much.. and still Comets Call them off.. man, I really miss my 1x9 Fiends.

The main difference I see between fiends vs acolytes/ratlings/jezzails/HPA is resilience. They are a lonely island in Skaventide in that they can actually cop a bit of punishment and still do a job.

Thanks for your math breakdown, always great to see comparisons like that to help visualise 😊 All of those units have decent to great damage potential, but how they would go vs the shooty / magic lists is what makes fiends more reliable. They are being figured out now and the drop to 6 unit size is seeing them less threatening these days I agree. They can still earn their points, but aren't as scary.

Ratlings/Jezzails cant get hit at all or die, and you need to be careful with Vigor or MMWP, and acolytes are short ranged and squishy, and as you pointed out once they drop below 20 they are losing usefulness.

I can comfortably see 1 seraphon turn plinking off 3x ratlings with spells we will struggle to unbind, and 40x skinks shooting off most of 30x acolytes... Same thing happens with KO, or Tzeentch, or CoS. Possibly fiends would get neutered too, but its just easier vs these squishy guys.

Also, fiends can still ball in combat and people think twice about charging them unless its the right unit. Whilst you would throw any unit you could at ratlings/acolytes/jezzails.

Edited by Nikobot

@Icefighter You've come to the right spot. Easy and fun is 4 blocks of clanrats and 2 clawlords. Its easiest to collect from ebay on the cheap(ish) but maybe a bit monotonous to paint. Then you can spice it up with weapon teams or a wizard by swapping out one unit. At a 1000 points clanrats really shine because of the disproportionate amount of models you can afford compared to your opponent. Whatever you come up with, it would be wise to practice using and abusing clanrats anyways in preparation for larger games to come. They will win you the game more often than not because of their objective grabbing potential. Otherwise the Skaven half of the Carrion Empire box is a great start. There's nothing more satisfying than shooting a laser cannon in such a small game.