5kaven5lave

1 minute ago, Laststand said:

Question from a new Skaven player. What is the best way to build clan rats? Spears for units of 40 but blades for units of 20? 

Some one of the last page had it pretty spot on. 40s run spears, 20s run shields. If you ask me the only option is a block of 40 with spear, they are so cheap, why not chase that discount :P.

1. Vermilord warbringer: the downside that I see is that he is not masterclan (so, less versatility, especialy to be skryre general). Can he be plaid with a VERMINTIDE army with (mostly) skryre units?

2. For those who build one, I'm hesitating between warbringer and warpseer : Is it possible to magnet him so I can switch with both shapes?

Edited by GeneralZero

2 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Some one of the last page had it pretty spot on. 40s run spears, 20s run shields. If you ask me the only option is a block of 40 with spear, they are so cheap, why not chase that discount :P.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am suffering from an embarrassment of riches and trying to cram too much cool stuff into a list which will end up leaving me with lots of minimum size units (which I already know is not great for Skaven). I will rethink!

13 minutes ago, TheGreatEnchanter said:

Question: what would a good place to start be?

I’m not competitive and I like fluffy armies. What’s a good place to start to build a fluffy all rounder army, like something from Total War?

Clanrats - lots of clanrats. 

Honestly I would say if you can get hold of it Carrion Empire is a good start - even if you only get the Skaven half on ebay or in a trade the price is well worth it as you get a core of big powerful mechanical based units for a very cheap price. You get the iconic Doomwheel and lightning gun as well as the powerful stormfiends and warlock with a rocket gun. One set is good, two sets builds you a very solid core. 

After that its almost your choice really; Skaven have a very nice Battletome now with a lot of fluffy choices depending on what way you want to go. You can go for a very monster heavy list with Moulder or Verminus; you can go all plague pox and boils with Pestilence, you can go full technorats with Skyre and you can go all mixed up together. 

Carrion empire is great for the skyre stuff and techno side of things (and its in limited production and already selling out so those discounts are vanishing fast); whilst pestilence has the Getting Started boxed set. A set which is also good for others because the plague furnace also doubles as the screaming bell model and the plague catapult doubles as the warplightning gun. With those two alone the plague rats within are basically nearly free so always a good set to grab. 

So what kind of fluffy fun list are you after?

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

1. Vermilord warbringer: the downside that I see is that he is not masterclan (so, less versatility, especialy to be skryre general). Can he be plaid with a VERMINTIDE army with (mostly) skryre units?

2. For those who build one, I'm hesitating between warbringer and warpseer : Is it possible to magnet him so I can switch with both shapes?

1. Yes, as long as you have at least 3x20 clanrats (though you’d want more, I played 2x40 and 1x20 the other night and I’m thinking 3x40 is going to pretty much always be my core going forward)

2. The head is pretty though to do, but the right arm is very easy. What I did was pick the warpseer head because I like it better and magnetized the globe and punch blade. They both share the big glaive weapon so that’s easy enough. 

Edited by Professor Clio

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Clanrats...NOT ! hahhaha

What I did and Why : I was not a big fan a skaven....except their big machines and bigger guys. So, I try not to be too much horde in skaven. I already have some horde army (death / LoN/ NH and kinda SoD ). Carrion Empire gave me the opportunity to have something really different and super fluffy...FOR CHEAP. After Buying and reselling parts of Carrion boxes, I have 2 lords + 2 canons+ 2 wheels + 3*3 stormfiends + Start collect Skaven which gave me 1 canon 20 Skryre Accolytes (converted monks) + Big Bell which gives me a mounted Seer (you can magnet it and you have a grey seer!) . All of this is pretty much a good Skryre army (for less than 100eur lol).

Skaven can play several type of army: clanrats leading to hordes. But I decided to focus on Skryre.

The points of skryre:

- unique game play and super fluffy

- randomness is a (big) rock in your shoe but potentially deadly

- heavy magic

- heavy shooting

- some big hitters (vermilors, tanqhol...)

There is no army like this one in AoS. Time will say if it is competitive bu I don't really care. From there, you can't be wrong adding VERMINTIDE battlelines : clanrats /stormvermines. and few special little units (mostly skryre jezzail /flamers/guns and co or assasins...) for more versatility.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheGreatEnchanter said:

I’m not competitive and I like fluffy armies. What’s a good place to start to build a fluffy all rounder army, like something from Total War?

If you want fluffy, I'd say to maybe either pick a single Great Clan and do something with them (gives you extra Battleline options too for keeping things thematic) or think of the alliances going behind your army to make it what it is between the clans.

There's a really nice example of the fluff behind this and how it can effect an army composition in the Skaven tome itself on p.23 with the fluff describing the army of Lord Hakkrit of the Clans Verminus' Clan Fang.

It's a whole Rube Goldberg machine of Skaven allying so they can stab another in the back and then take power to stab their ally in the back too, whilst the others are only forming an alliance to later do a backstab and get power themselves too.

11 minutes ago, MKGipson said:

"Remember, to a Skaven the only thing worse than losing is to see another Skaven win."

you see that other skavenplayer who just won, was beeing fooled and now believes he is much mightier than me-me.

But in reality he is only a part of my scheming plans.

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I feel compelled to just leave this here:

😂...

8 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

More base size questions...

My Skryre Acolytes have arrived with 32mm slottas, that’s an error right? It says 25mm on the base size FAQ. Shall I wait until the 2 week Battletome FAQ just to be sure?

I'm not sure what's going on with bases. I ordered the rat ogres/giant rats/packmasters box and a stormvermin box assuming they were reboxed, but they arrived with no rounds and missing some squares 😅 It makes sense that metal models would come with slottas, but the store page may have false info. I'd maybe contact GW about it

1 hour ago, Skavelynn said:

I'm not sure what's going on with bases. I ordered the rat ogres/giant rats/packmasters box and a stormvermin box assuming they were reboxed, but they arrived with no rounds and missing some squares 😅 It makes sense that metal models would come with slottas, but the store page may have false info. I'd maybe contact GW about it

I've had the same issue with Thanquol; no oval, only a square. The thing that's confusing is that he is officially on a 105x70, but the box is supposed to include a 90mm oval.

I've emailed them to get the replacement base, but I'm wary of basing him permanently until we get an answer on what bases he's actually meant to be on, because 90mm seems too small.

OK, so I don't have the Battletome, yet, but I have Azyr (I know it's not by any means always accurate).  It seems that the Skaven Deathrunner, Skaven Warlord, Packmaster, and Poison Wind Mortar Weapon Team have either been removed completely from the Skaventide or have been renamed as something else.  Can anyone help me out with this issue?

Thanks

SG

1 hour ago, Lobeau said:

Thoughts on the Forgeworld Wolf Rats?

I really like the look of them and want them and will have them one day! Note this is based on the Warscroll from the FW website which isn't updated yet (though I don't expect sweeping changes to their role or function)

Power wise they've got +3 to hit and to wound which is pretty reliable by skaven standards and they come with -1 rend; a good thing as they are 5 for 100 points and only 2 wounds. So they are somewhat expensive and fragile and with a low bravery too, though they don't take battleshock tests if within 3 inches of an enemy model. 

The way I see it they are ideal for putting down a gnawhole or risking with a grinder to deploy behind or in enemy lines so that the enemy can't shoot and cause them to panic flee. 

5 minutes ago, ServiceGames said:

OK, so I don't have the Battletome, yet, but I have Azyr (I know it's not by any means always accurate).  It seems that the Skaven Deathrunner, Skaven Warlord, Packmaster, and Poison Wind Mortar Weapon Team have either been removed completely from the Skaventide or have been renamed as something else.  Can anyone help me out with this issue?

Thanks

SG

Deathrunners and assassins are gone and replaced with Deathmasters who can choose blades or clawed weapons so thats where the assassin and deathrunner models go

Packmasters are still Packmasters and still operate in units of 3; however the metal master with the long whip and pet rat is now a "Master Moulder" 

Warlord is now a Clawlord

Poison Wind Mortar is the only one actually missing and has no model on sale; gw did include the warpfire thrower and did put the old metal one back on sale. 

There have been plastic wind mortars on sale along with updated (if monopose and pushfit) rat ogres, engineers, packmasters and even slightly updated clanrats. However we've not seen any of those new on sale since Island of Blood (though you can still grab them on ebay but their prices have gone up quite a bit since Skaven Battletome Launched.

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

Deathrunners and assassins are gone and replaced with Deathmasters who can choose blades or clawed weapons so thats where the assassin and deathrunner models go

Packmasters are still Packmasters and still operate in units of 3; however the metal master with the long whip and pet rat is now a "Master Moulder" 

Warlord is now a Clawlord

Poison Wind Mortar is the only one actually missing and has no model on sale; gw did include the warpfire thrower and did put the old metal one back on sale. 

There have been plastic wind mortars on sale along with updated (if monopose and pushfit) rat ogres, engineers, packmasters and even slightly updated clanrats. However we've not seen any of those new on sale since Island of Blood (though you can still grab them on ebay but their prices have gone up quite a bit since Skaven Battletome Launched.

1) I have I believe two Deathrunners that came with Silver Tower.  Can I use those models in a Skaven army with the new Battletome?

2) I bought the Spire of Dawn box (happened to find it at an FLGS long after it had been discontinued by GW), and it comes with one Packmaster that could be used a Leader by itself.  It came with a Trident (lower left in the attached picture.  Where did that one end up?

3) I kinda figured that the Warlord had become the Clawlord based on the look of the model, but thank you for confirming

4) The Poison Wind Mortar Team is the only one that has me scratching my head.  With the exception of a Plagueclaw/Warp Lightning Cannon, all of my Skaven models come from the Spire of Dawn box which didn't come out *that* long ago.  I find it odd that they would just drop this model after releasing it in a box set shortly over two years ago (while AoS 1 was already alive and kicking). 

SG

60010299009_SpireofDawnENG01.jpg

Edited by ServiceGames

2 minutes ago, ServiceGames said:

1) I have I believe two Deathrunners that came with Silver Tower.  Can I use those models in a Skaven army with the new Battletome?

2) I bought the Spire of Dawn box (happened to find it at an FLGS long after it had been discontinued by GW), and it comes with one Packmaster that could be used a Leader by itself.  It came with a Trident (lower left in the attached picture.  Where did that one end up?

3) I kinda figured that the Warlord had become the Clawlord based on the look of the model, but thank you for confirming

4) The Poison Wind Mortar Team is the only one that has me scratching my head.  With the exception of a Plagueclaw/Warp Lightning Cannon, all of my Skaven models come from the Spire of Dawn box which didn't come out *that* long ago.  I find it odd that they would just drop this model after releasing it in a box set shortly over two years ago (while AoS 1 was already alive and kicking). 

SG

1) yep, best fit is a deathmaster (the new assassin) but the good news is you now have 2

2) I’m using mine as a master moulder, but you could also use him as one of 3 packmasters, as 1 in 3 can have a things-catcher.

4) yet they did. Wondering about cutting mine up and making acolytes out of them, as others have suggested.