5kaven5lave

10 hours ago, Num said:

*casts Splinter*

Truly a terrifying spell in such cases.

although, it would be questionable when compared with a unit of 10witches buffed with the witch-brew and the probably best spell, which name I have forgotten.

Anyways, I’l be trying my tournament list against another skaventide player out:

My list consists of:

Allegiance: Skaventide
LEADERS
Skallog the Mad (120)
Warlock Bombardier
- Artefact : Vial of the Fulminator
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer Sniketrikk (240)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Magic - Lore of Ruin : Death Frenzy
Skaa bloodtail, right claw of clan Mors (100)
Clawlord
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait : Savage Overlord
UNITS
The black furred Gnawers of the deepwarrens (200)
  40 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The red death (280)
40 x Plague Monks - Foetid Blades
The Messenger of Doom (160)
1 x Doomwheel
The Doomseeker (160)
1 x Doomwheel
1 x Doomwheel (160)
Skalks backstabbering Backstabbers (120)
20 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The red Guard (450)
40 x Stormvermin - Halberd & Shield
 TOTAL: 1990/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0
WOUNDS: 187
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 4/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

I’m not sure what his list will look like, but considering that he asked me to lend him 6Stormfiends and 2 warpfire weapon teams, I’m going to guess he’ll be using a more shooty list.

6 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Anyone actually played with the Hellpit?

I'm thinking of picking one to as a meta pick for OBR.

Also, any suggestions on how to handle double cabbage Orruks? List-wise and tactically.

Played one last night in a casual 750pt game. He managed to decimate a unit of 10 IronJawz Ardboyz despite being charged first. None too shabby. Great against large elite mobs like IJ or OBR 👍

4 hours ago, Obeisance said:

Anyone actually played with the Hellpit?

I'm thinking of picking one to as a meta pick for OBR.

Also, any suggestions on how to handle double cabbage Orruks? List-wise and tactically.

Ones.

Although i’ve been using him against another skaventide  player, just for fun.

They are extremely great damage dealers and probably the most terrifying horde killer in the whole game.

Units of 20-60 Stabbas will fear its charge.

and should you ever meet up with a hero,

I wouldn't worry too much, his damage potential, is basically to fear-fear, there isn’t much that would stand alive after a charge of such an abomination of terror.

I you buff him with the allegiance abilities given by a master moulder, he will potentially do a lit more damage, and the extra d3 LP can sometimes be the difference between a living and a dead abomination.

the only thing making it horrible for you is it’s 2d6 movement.

but any Squigs  players, would tell you other wise.

afterall it could be a potential rolled twelve, 

and should you ever make a charge of twelve inches, that thing will terrify the enemy lines in turn 1😉

*looks at the onion formation above*

Seeing things like this make me realize that I'm both new to wargaming and a poor tactician... my idea for formations is "put my guys into tight crowds and push them forward" :)

BTW. I just checked GW's website and I see they finally made Warlock Bombardier available - for about $20. Last year, I bought one on eBay for $60 or something... I'll go and have a heart attack now :)

• Haha 1

Is that USD? It has to be. How could you have possibly paid $60 USD for a Bombadieer? You could've just got another copy of Carrion Empire and split it up.

Also is the Hell Pit out or production? the GW AU website says it's "out of stock online" and they're like $150-300 AUD on eBay.

Typically they fall out of stock online overseas more often than in the UK because overseas only gets restocked in waves so it times time for things to fall low/out of stock and get a new shipment delivered. Ebay can take advantage and will sometimes spot things that sell well and then the prices on them go up and up on some stores. Basically they lay in wait and then when someone isn't patient or worries the higher priced stores are all that's left and that's where they make their profits. 

It's not helped that GW has been known to drop models with little to no warning (nor any notification). Though the Hellpit is in the Battletome and its a fairly modern plastic model; I'd not expect to lose it. 

Don't forget Carrion Empire sold out pretty darn fast, so once the stock was gone ebay prices again creep up. Even if its not someone overpricing with a "buy it now" price; the bidding prices can go pretty high too. Though paying $60 for a $20 model is a lot, especially since we know it was going to get its own individual release at some point. 

Typically I don't tend to over-pay on ebay if I can help it; if I do I try and stick to things that really are limited. Metal models are always worth it, though I try to avoid "new hotness" where I can. Eg Eldar Rangers are REALLY popular right now so the price on them is way above normal. So they are one not to buy right now; but instead focus on getting other metals. Of course a rare few keep a high price like the Diaz Deamonettes. 

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

Is that USD? It has to be. How could you have possibly paid $60 USD for a Bombadieer? You could've just got another copy of Carrion Empire and split it up.

Oh, I would've loved to do that... if Carrion Empire was available for a reasonable price. It wasn't. I checked all the shops I normally buy stuff at - and none of them had this set anymore. There were copies available on eBay... for $250 or so.

So... yes, until today the only way of getting the Bombardier was buying it from someone for a rather high price. When it comes to me, I specifically paid about $40 - $45 for the mini + postage costs. Overall, I did have to pay something between $50 - $60.

Oh well, this stuff happens. Kind of unfortunate, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it :)

Island of Blood was good. I managed to hunt down four Rat Ogors, two Warlock Engineers and two Warpfire Throwers from that set. Nice minis, GW should make them available normally instead of the older versions.

Speaking of models - two requests for advice:

1. As mentioned, I have four Island of Blood / Spire of Dawn Rat Ogors. Very nice models! One problem, though: none of them has a Warpfire Gun listed on the warscroll... I've been wondering of converting two of them so that they have those WFGs, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk of ruining these nice models? On the other hand, without WFGs, the Ogors don't look as a good unit in comparison to Storm Fiends...

Here's how these Ogors look like:

4z43gm4nw1j31-B.jpg.300f7aa53a94e8ad289a2d3195725c3c.jpg

What do you think, should I tinker with them or leave them alone?

2. I'm assembling my Skaven army and I've currently run into a problem: I'd really like to add some of the bigger units (Doomwheel, Thanquol & Boneripper, the Screaming Bell...). Unfortunately, I don't feel like I'm good enough to try painting them just yet - but I've also been told that these models could be a real hassle to paint when fully assembled. For instance, painting the Doomwheel pilot is very hard when he's inside the contraption - also, painting Thanquol could be tricky when he's on top of the big Boneripper. The same goes for the Seer on the Bell... So, not sure what to do? I want to play with these models, but I also would like to be able to paint them well at some point... I admit I'm stuck. Help, please-please! 😵

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

Island of Blood was good. I managed to hunt down four Rat Ogors, two Warlock Engineers and two Warpfire Throwers from that set. Nice minis, GW should make them available normally instead of the older versions.

Speaking of models - two requests for advice:

1. As mentioned, I have four Island of Blood / Spire of Dawn Rat Ogors. Very nice models! One problem, though: none of them has a Warpfire Gun listed on the warscroll... I've been wondering of converting two of them so that they have those WFGs, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk of ruining these nice models? On the other hand, without WFGs, the Ogors don't look as a good unit in comparison to Storm Fiends...

Here's how these Ogors look like:

4z43gm4nw1j31-B.jpg.300f7aa53a94e8ad289a2d3195725c3c.jpg

What do you think, should I tinker with them or leave them alone?

2. I'm assembling my Skaven army and I've currently run into a problem: I'd really like to add some of the bigger units (Doomwheel, Thanquol & Boneripper, the Screaming Bell...). Unfortunately, I don't feel like I'm good enough to try painting them just yet - but I've also been told that these models could be a real hassle to paint when fully assembled. For instance, painting the Doomwheel pilot is very hard when he's inside the contraption - also, painting Thanquol could be tricky when he's on top of the big Boneripper. The same goes for the Seer on the Bell... So, not sure what to do? I want to play with these models, but I also would like to be able to paint them well at some point... I admit I'm stuck. Help, please-please! 😵

Are you saying you have these models already assembled? That sucks if thats the case but it doesnt make painting them impossible. I think thanquol and the doomwheel would be fine. The doomwheel though will be a real punish. 

Great models though so its worth sucking it up to get them on the table. 

@PiotrW

There are two easy conversions you can do on the rat ogor with the blade. One is cutting part of the arm down and replacing it with a warpfire thrower or a windlauncher from the stormfiend kit. The size fits perfectly.

The other is cutting the blade and add a flame on it (like the one from the island of blood clawlord banner).

As for painting big models, I agree :( the good thing with skaven is that you don't really need big models anyway. You can do a full viable army with no big model.

Played against OBR yesterday, and got smashed. I did one big mistake, and serval smaller.
How do you guys handle OBR? Seems to me we can't fight them straight up, so we have to rely on movement shenannigans. Man that catapult is terrifying. 
And the mortek guards are just so insanely tough.

They are absurd. Shooting, mortal wounds and speed bumps work well against them. 

Skaven seem well suited to exploit those weaknesses

Be very conscious of those bloody catapults. Murder low bravery hordes and can absolutely gut the "onion" style bubble wrapping shown above with their kill a specific model ability at 36+" range.

Edited by Eldarain

I’ve never played against them really, but considering how many times I’ve been studying the warscrolls of that faction, I really believe the doomwheel will be our best friend.

with the vial of the fulminator, that things will literally just end up next to sich an catapult.

with a bit of luck you might shoot it of the table, in any other case I’d charge the doomwheel into the catapult, and keep it shooting for a turn.

This is probably the reason I’ll be taking a list with 3 doom wheels to the next tournament I’ll be taking part in

Great for harassing the shooting meta we have right now😋🤪

6 hours ago, PiotrW said:

also, painting Thanquol could be tricky when he's on top of the big Boneripper.

I’ve glued a small magnet to Thanquol’s foot, and drilled a small hole for another magnet in Bonerippers shoulder. This was purely so that he fit in my carry case better, but would help for painting 😁

image.jpg

7 hours ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

Are you saying you have these models already assembled? That sucks if thats the case but it doesnt make painting them impossible. I think thanquol and the doomwheel would be fine. The doomwheel though will be a real punish. 

Great models though so its worth sucking it up to get them on the table. 

Thankfully, I haven't assembled the big models yet... I'm still looking at them and deliberating. Hmmm.

4 hours ago, Num said:

@PiotrW

There are two easy conversions you can do on the rat ogor with the blade. One is cutting part of the arm down and replacing it with a warpfire thrower or a windlauncher from the stormfiend kit. The size fits perfectly.

The other is cutting the blade and add a flame on it (like the one from the island of blood clawlord banner).

As for painting big models, I agree :( the good thing with skaven is that you don't really need big models anyway. You can do a full viable army with no big model.

Ha! But I want big models! I love crazy Skaven contraptions :)

As for the Rat Ogor conversion: I admit I wouldn't want to lose the whole blade... It's wicked :) I've been thinking about adding something (like some leftover tubes from Storm Fiends) to that spherical thing next to the blade. I'm worried about ruining the minis, though...

BTW. Does anyone know what stats that Ogor had in Island of Blood? Maybe the blade (which seems connected to some Skaven energy tech) counts as a warpfire gun as it is?

Anyone tried acolytes in smaller units? Trying to think of how to add some threat to my shooting. Got a list with 9 jezzails, 6 stormfiends and 10 acolytes. 

Thinking that this unit of 10 for 120 pts could do a ****** tonne of damage on whatever it hits and its not the end of the world if it dies because it was only 120pts. 

Opponents shouldn't ignore them but might just underestimate their output. Although,  you almost wouldn't care if they wasted effort to deal with them instead of your jezzails or stormfiends. 

I know the problem is that you almost always would rather buffs on the stormfiends but with deranged inventor or even rerolling 1s for a CP, these guys could easily make back their points. 

Anyone tried running 10? I know most competitive lists have taken them in much bigger blocks. But to me it just seems that they would  unwieldy, so hoping they might still be a good choice at smaller size.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:01 AM, gronnelg said:

Played against OBR yesterday, and got smashed. I did one big mistake, and serval smaller.
How do you guys handle OBR? Seems to me we can't fight them straight up, so we have to rely on movement shenannigans. Man that catapult is terrifying. 
And the mortek guards are just so insanely tough.

Shooting Fiends\30 Acolytes. Jezzails\WLC's can take out their heroes as well. As for the Crawler.. anything fast like a Doomwheel or some Gutter Runners coming from a board edge to hopefully make a charge into it. You could also just shoot it off the board potentially.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:26 AM, fishwaffle2232 said:

Anyone tried acolytes in smaller units? Trying to think of how to add some threat to my shooting. Got a list with 9 jezzails, 6 stormfiends and 10 acolytes. 

Thinking that this unit of 10 for 120 pts could do a ****** tonne of damage on whatever it hits and its not the end of the world if it dies because it was only 120pts. 

Opponents shouldn't ignore them but might just underestimate their output. Although,  you almost wouldn't care if they wasted effort to deal with them instead of your jezzails or stormfiends. 

I know the problem is that you almost always would rather buffs on the stormfiends but with deranged inventor or even rerolling 1s for a CP, these guys could easily make back their points. 

Anyone tried running 10? I know most competitive lists have taken them in much bigger blocks. But to me it just seems that they would  unwieldy, so hoping they might still be a good choice at smaller size.

10 will do nothing for you, to be blunt. You won't be buffing them at 10 (they'll die quick if you give them anything but a Spark) and the only thing they'll be suited to shoot at is a unit of 10+ models for the +1 to hit. Against a 4+ save and getting +1 to hit (not from vigordust), 10 of them are only doing ~5 damage on average. Not really anything to fear, even if you're a horde unit getting shot by them. I would much rather bring 10 Gutter Runners for the same price who could perform better in melee and have more utility.

The only place for MSU Acolytes (in my opinion) is if you're trying to run Gascloud or any Skryre battalion in which you want to be pure Skryre. Since the nerfing of max size Fiend units, I don't even think this is viable anymore.. you can run double Voltiks but you can still have room for 60 Clanrats if you want or MSU Acolytes still if you really want to go pure Skryre. At that point though, they're nothing more than speedbumps\screens for you Fiends to sit behind.  I've been running them a lot as you probably know, but they are absolutely abysmal at anything less than 20-30.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1