5kaven5lave

On 10/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, Gwendar said:

I noticed you didn't really have anything to say about WLV but I imagine with Nagash that would be difficult to get off in the first place. Would you say there's anything you would change?

WLV is so hit or miss for me, i tend to make room for it in every list i run but its probably only really been effective in 1/3 of my matches. The damage it CAN inflict is amazing, but the damage it DOES inflict can be pretty underwhelming at times for how much effort you put into casting it. And even if you CAN cast it, it usually is only really hitting what you need it to turn 1 and then the enemy gets out of its way and you're forced to try and dispell it to try and cast it again or just leave it there to maybe ping some hordes that are near it. Overall its been a bit of a let down lately, but at times its the clutchest ****** to ever exist. So i imagine itll make my lists in the future, but im gonna try and build some without it for now. 

• Like 1

Any lists running 6 stormfiends and 9 jezzails, or is that just too much investment into 2 units? 

I was thinking 
warpseer- MoM -300
Seer on bell- Skitterleap- 220
Bombadier- 100- MMMWP / Vigordust

Clan rats x20 (3) - 360 pts

9 jezzails

6 stormfiends

soulscream bridge

I was thinking about bridging the fiends up front, distract and shoot hopefully the big threats, then let the clan rats screen while everything slowly moves up, jezzails shooting any other threats and capping objectives with the clan rats. 

I dont think its the best list, but i just got 9 jezzails and 6 stormfiends and want to use them lol. Any suggestions or changeups? Im thinking only 1 skyre caster is asking for a bad time.

@Ser_namron Nah, it can work, but I tend to find 9 Fiends and 6 Jezzails a better investment currently if you're going that route. If you have the Bell I don't really think the Warpseer is needed.

And yeah, WLV really only makes it into my magic list for obvious reasons.. I otherwise I find the points better used elsewhere since, to me, it really requires 240 points to get a Grey Seer w/ Skitterleap. Sure you don't have to do that and a lot of tournament players still taking it don't do that, for good reason. I just like getting it in there T1.

Edited by Gwendar

I think it's too hard to cast / too short range / too hard to use. Don't get me wrong, it can dish out the damage.. but I don't think it's a 100pt spell anymore.

I'd pay 50-60pts. I'm gonna take like Geminids and something else instead.

edit:

Speaking of Endless Spells. Do people find Prismastic Palasade useful against shooting? I already have Vermintide in my list to zone people out. I kind of want to use Palasade to screen stuff and hope they fail to unbind it.

Edited by Obeisance

Which is funny, considering most people would disagree and still think it's broken. I've always argued the Comet is nearly as bad in some setups and it can be cast out of unbind range. Oh well. I think if it still kept the 26" range then the double-tap would likely be taken away to compensate... but that won't get revised again most likely 😉

As for the Palisade, I take it more to block models than protect from shooting, but my local meta has very little shooting aside from... well, me. Vermintide + Palisade is a large area of blocking when needed and I generally take both if I can.

Does anyone have general rules or guidelines for deployment? Of course this varies with army composition, matchups, deployment zones, battleplan, and scenery...  

But if you were giving a crash course in deployment tactics, what advice would you give?  

I keep finding myself in my first or second hero phase saying "huh, I think this is in the completely wrong spot"

You should practice deploying and unpacking your army.

Always ask your opponent if they have things that can run/charge/fly any huge threat ranges, Cogs, etc. You really have to look out for first turn charges. Think about where the objectives are and place your key combat units next to them.

Bubblewrap everything with Clanrats and run things behind Clanrats. I'll typically have a block of Clanrats stretched accross the table with 3" between them and the front line so people can't kill them and draw things in behind them. It's 6" if I'm playing against FEC or whatever.

Giving Clanrats battleshock immunity means they're probably going to last 1-2 turns and hopefully you won't get wrecked by a double turn as a result.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

threat ranges

@KingOfSuede this is one of the most important aspects. Understanding the threat ranges of everything (shoot, run + charge abilities, etc) and pre-measuring all of these things (such as a Comet's 36" range). You get this down and it will slowly fall together.

No opponent should be weird about it, except maybe the more casual players if they aren't used to that sort of thing maybe? Of just someone being 'that guy'.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Question Scry Orb for —

Is it re-rolling the failed Warpsaves from the Protection From Horned Rat too?

Does this mean -

4+/4+/5+

or 

4+/4+/5+/5+?

You only reroll saves. FNP's are not the same as saves, so no it would not affect Protection of the GHR

Edited by Gwendar

Allegiance: Skaventide
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone 
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
9 x Stormfiends (780)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 164

Hi guys! Played a tournament in Malmö, Sweden with 22 players, and snatched a 6th place with this list! Were some really tight competition so im glad i got into top 10! (just a few points short of getting my top 5)

3 wins 2 losses!

I learned I have some work to do with possitioning my stormfiends but i got the hold of it at the end and they survived a whole match against a gristlegore list!

skaven.jpg

• Like 3

What are your thoughts on this list? It should be quite fun competing in all the phases. 

- General
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
- Lore of Ruin: Plague
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Brutal Fury
Warlock Bombardier (100)

40 x Stormvermin (450)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
The Burning Head (30)

Edited by Aelford

Not a competitive player but as I understand it, you're more often than not pulling the melee guys off first anyway (so that the unit has 27 wounds before their shooting is effected) so it doesn't matter much.  

Just know that the Shock Gauntlets are more consistent, but Doomflayers have a higher ceiling

@Congratz Good question!

1 Fiend vs 4+ AR:

Doomflayer (+1 to hit)   3.7

+MMMWP                   5.8

Shock gauntlets               3.3

+MMMWP (normal)    5.3

(fishing for 6s)              6.3

Grinderfist                        2.2

+ MMMWP                  4.4

Clubbing Blows (Vigordust + MMMWP)   3.2

Yes, not a whole lot of difference. In particular both options are very unreliable in their output. I love the shock gauntlet mechanics, but use the Doomflayer since it looks absolutely beastly! 😊

As @KingOfSuede said, in the common ranged SF setup you want to assign the wounds to the melee guys and generally stay out of range. Nonetheless you shouldn't be afraid to charge with SF if you can ensure that you strike first, are safe next turn and can shoot freely.

Assuming you get 6 SF into combat (2 shock, rest ranged) that's ~25 damage vs 4+ AR. In this situation i like to calculate with ~10 damage, just to be on the safest of sides.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:41 AM, Aelford said:

What are your thoughts on this list? It should be quite fun competing in all the phases. 

- General
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
- Lore of Ruin: Plague
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Brutal Fury
Warlock Bombardier (100)

40 x Stormvermin (450)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
The Burning Head (30)

It has a stable core with double bell etc. and can definitely work.

I personally wouldn't play Stormvermin in a tournament unless they come down 50 points. The difference to Plague Monks in terms of efficiency is just too great. I wouldn't want to discourage you from trying them yourself though! They are great models, Verminous based builds have a unique kind of flair and are aesthetically pleasing.

I'm not sure why you included Burning Head. With 30 points you could also get Palisade or Gravetide and Maelstrom, which provide better utility. Brutal Fury is debatable and usually the go to trait for Warbringers. It might surprise some people if he actually gets to fight, but overall Verminous Valour is just more beneficial if you want to use the Clawlord as a buff piece.

Overall Clan Verminous unfortunately isn't all that competitive at the moment. There are some lists like the Thanquol - Clawlord on Brood Horror command point spam with a dozen attacks on your Stormvermin (or Clanrats: if you roll 300 dice you will inevitably do damage). I fear that it would need a rework of the Clawhorde battalion   and Stormvermin cost reduction. They are however still way ahead of Moulder and in particular Eshin as a stand alone clan.

-----------------------------

Since a lot of new battletomes appeared recently, how do people find our new competitors from a Skaven perspective? Personally all the new destruction books don't change a whole lot in terms of gameplay. If your list could handle an aggressive melee army like Slanesh before, it can do well against Warclans/Mawtribes as well.

Time will tell what Cities lists will actually be good since they have so many possible playstyles. The only thing I'm really afraid of are Mortek Crawlers. Taking out Engineers or generally all our support characters as well as decimating things with low bravery. Having half of my Jezzails slain with a 42" threat range is ... annoying. I'm not sure how popular this unit and army will be but it might require some changes to lists (e.g. Palisade, Deceiver).