5kaven5lave

1 minute ago, Aelford said:

I've tried to make a fairly competitive list but with an inclusion of all the clans and some pretty models. What are your thoughts on it?

Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Verminous Valour
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
-
 Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Warlock Bombardier (100)
-
 Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
10 x Stormvermin (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
9 x Stormfiends (780)
5 x Wolf Rats (100)
Total: 2000 / 2000

Drop the wolf rats and get the soulscream bridge for the 9 stormfiends:)

1 minute ago, Darkhan said:

Drop the wolf rats and get the soulscream bridge for the 9 stormfiends:)

I don't want to be too competitive  😂 I have just realised that I don't have any Eshin models in the list. This needs to be rectified at once. Not sure what though 😕

4 hours ago, Aelford said:

I don't want to be too competitive  😂 I have just realised that I don't have any Eshin models in the list. This needs to be rectified at once. Not sure what though 😕

Gutter Runners for a harassment unit or Night Runners for the pre-game move. You could use an Assassin as well... though I'm not a fan.

...which also happens to be all your Eshin units aside from the Deceiver 😉

• Haha 1

Since our tome is quite dauntingly complex and every couple of pages the same questions pop up, I've decided to start a blog where I want to compile information for the glory of the horned one. Skaven Supremacy through rational Analysis 😉

The first part is about our shooting units - because it's the most popular question. I wanted to keep the character of a reference sheet with my opinion, additional information etc. in spoilers. The content is the base damage and how it develops with buffs, as well as how point efficient the units are.

I do hope this helps people in deciding which units to pick (hint: Ratling guns !) and saves some time.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cosmicsheep said:

I run 1 or 2 units of 5 usually. They make great cavalry for nabbing objectives or tying up the enemy while your clanrats move up. Can be quite killy on the charge and no battleshock to worry about. 😉

Sounds pretty rad! How would you feel about 1 unit of 10?

So I've chopped the list a little to include some Eshin units and add a bit more variety and fun. Let me know what you think.

Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
10 x Stormvermin (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
6 x Stormfiends (520)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)

2 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

Sounds pretty rad! How would you feel about 1 unit of 10?

I don’t think you really gain anything by having a single unit (other than 1 less drop) and 2 units gives more flexibility.

That being said, if you were planning on sending them through a gnawhole, then obviously a single unit makes sense 👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aelford said:

So I've chopped the list a little to include some Eshin units and add a bit more variety and fun. Let me know what you think.

Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
10 x Stormvermin (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
6 x Stormfiends (520)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)

You may want to consider Overseer of Destruction for your AW if he’s going to be supporting the 3 ratling guns

1 hour ago, Darkhan said:

Anyone tried doing 3 doomwheels with Vial of the Fulminator artefact? It sounds hilarious. MMWP/Vigordust a wheel, send it FLYING 8D6 move and crash.

Do the same thing T2 with the next one, rinse and repeat. Sounds superb fun!

Haven't tried it, but it sounds fun.

1 hour ago, Darkhan said:

Anyone tried doing 3 doomwheels with Vial of the Fulminator artefact? It sounds hilarious. MMWP/Vigordust a wheel, send it FLYING 8D6 move and crash.

Do the same thing T2 with the next one, rinse and repeat. Sounds superb fun!

Did it ones.

killed a Bloodthirster with it and lost it later through a  overloaded warpstone reactors explosion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Obeisance said:

Do you guys find the Warlock and Ratling Gun combo pack actually viable?

Seems kinda iffy?

Used it 8 times or something. It's pretty cool. People tend to ignore the little warlock buffer + rattlers if you have some other big threats on the board, until they come in range and they are like WTF 10 DMG?! And that just came from 1 of the 3:D

30 minutes ago, Darkhan said:

Used it 8 times or something. It's pretty cool. People tend to ignore the little warlock buffer + rattlers if you have some other big threats on the board, until they come in range and they are like WTF 10 DMG?! And that just came from 1 of the 3:D

Yes, it's what you could fancily call "physical representation of threat". Everybody can see that Stormfiends mean you harm: 3 times as high as an ordinary clanrat, posing like destroyers of worlds etc. I have mine standing in poison puddles and over the bodies of man-things. Ratling guns are just silly little people practicing teamwork. Nothing to see there!

Concerning the question of Overseer of Destruction: I don't like it overly much. It's an efficient trait, but I would only pick it if I can't spare MMMWP on a Ratling (e.g. when I run them in conjunction with Fiends or Acolytes).

3 Ratlings with Overseer + Spark + Overload vs. 4+ AR, 7 shots each: 9.3 x 3 = 27.9

2 Ratlings + Spark + Overload vs. 4+ AR, 7 shots + 1 with MMMWP = 2 x 6.2 + 12.4 = 24.8

(3 with Oversser, 1 with MMMWP = 27.9 + 12.4 = 40.3 )

To be effective you really want to use it on 3. Given the rate that these little workers die, you need 4 (rather 5). Personally that's too much investment for the balanced lists that I enjoy playing.

I want to try this army once I have some more Ratlings and one more Wheel

Arch-Warlock (160)
- Trait: Overseer of Destruction
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
40 x Clanrats (200)
40 x Clanrats (200)
40 x Clanrats (200)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
Doomwheel (160)
Doomwheel (160)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Greetings all. New Community member here, though I've played off and on for the last...er...30 years (argh, didn't sound so old in my head). Played many armies but Skaven were my first love, as of encountering them in Advanced Heroquest. Anyway, today I finally finished reading all 111 pages (so far) of this discussion, having started about a week or so ago (I have been doing other things in the meantime) and I wanted to thank you all for all the wisdom and humour shared - it's been enlightening. My next game is on Friday (2000 pts, vs Blades of Khorne) and I'm going to experiment with some of the things I've learned from your good selves. If it goes well, I'll let you know what worked. If it doesn't, I guarantee it'll be a combination of bad deployment, bad dice and forgetting important things when I need them most... Thanks again! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grimsqueak said:

Greetings all. New Community member here, though I've played off and on for the last...er...30 years (argh, didn't sound so old in my head). Played many armies but Skaven were my first love, as of encountering them in Advanced Heroquest. Anyway, today I finally finished reading all 111 pages (so far) of this discussion, having started about a week or so ago (I have been doing other things in the meantime) and I wanted to thank you all for all the wisdom and humour shared - it's been enlightening. My next game is on Friday (2000 pts, vs Blades of Khorne) and I'm going to experiment with some of the things I've learned from your good selves. If it goes well, I'll let you know what worked. If it doesn't, I guarantee it'll be a combination of bad deployment, bad dice and forgetting important things when I need them most... Thanks again! 

No no!! You got it all wrong! If you lose it because of your no good, treacherous rivals! They infiltrate you ranks, sabotage, vying for power! Also your incompetent minions! Never-never anything you did bad-wrong!

Edit: Also, someone beat me to this.  Horrible piece of technology! Sabotaging my efforts by not showing me the fully updated thread! This smells of rivals trying to make me look stupid-dumb! Just you wait! I will sniff you out, and stab-stab you in the back!

Edited by gronnelg

On 10/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, Cosmicsheep said:

I still have some Advanced Heroquest Skaven in my army. Welcome 👍

Thanks very much 🙂

On 10/24/2019 at 4:34 AM, SaucyRatBear said:

You yourself are a genius with a master plan that is sure to please the Great Horned Rat!

Yes... 👍 Yes, of course.  That is what I actually meant... 😁

On 10/24/2019 at 3:34 AM, Obeisance said:

Hero Quest/Space Crusade = best.

Absolutely.  Still have my Advanced Heroquest, but seem to have mislaid Heroquest itself.  A shame, cos I think the kids would have enjoyed it.  I stumbled across a copy of 'The Key to the Kingdom' in a shop the other day, but it's not the same...

18 hours ago, gronnelg said:

...someone beat me to this.  Horrible piece of technology! Sabotaging my efforts by not showing me the fully updated thread! This smells of rivals trying to make me look stupid-dumb! Just you wait! I will sniff you out, and stab-stab you in the back!

😁 Well, great minds think alike, yes-yes?