5kaven5lave

Blood Red is very orange. Flesh Tearers is kind of just dark red. You get a lot of Wraithbone coming through.

Paint the first on the cloth sections. Once dry paint the other over the top.

"One thick coat" is misleading. It's more "one medium coat and manage the pooling"

Honestly, painting 120 Clanrats isn't too bad if you approach it with a method with minimal steps.

Contrasts are amazing for horde armies. You can seriously cut a schedule down to like 14 steps per model or less. 

Assuming you start with sand on the base, model sprayed Wraithbone.

Darkoath skin, Flesh Tearers cloth, Leadbelcher metal, Wyldwood fur and wood, Skeleton Bone teeth and claws, Khorne Red eyes, wash the sand and metal with Agrax, drybrush the base Terminatus Stone and trim the base in Steel Legion Drab.

Not including any cleanup or reapplication, that's.. 9 steps minimum. You could get that down to like 10-15mins per Clanrat batching like 20 at a time.

19 hours ago, SaucyRatBear said:

Hail ratlings, I leap jumped straight into AOS by buying a full Skaven army and starting in an escalation league. I have mostly Skryre units but was wondering if it would be better at the 500 pts level to take lots of bodies or try to sneak in something with more punch. I noticed with FAQ and Errata that 2x20 clan rats, any 100 pt leader, and a doomwheel comes in at 500 pts but is that even good for this point level?

Hello!

I'm an AoS newb myself, but if you ask me, I'd take the Doomwheel. If anything, it seems to be fun-fun ;)

18 hours ago, Obeisance said:

Honestly, painting 120 Clanrats isn't too bad if you approach it with a method with minimal steps.

Contrasts are amazing for horde armies. You can seriously cut a schedule down to like 14 steps per model or less. 

Assuming you start with sand on the base, model sprayed Wraithbone.

Darkoath skin, Flesh Tearers cloth, Leadbelcher metal, Wyldwood fur and wood, Skeleton Bone teeth and claws, Khorne Red eyes, wash the sand and metal with Agrax, drybrush the base Terminatus Stone and trim the base in Steel Legion Drab.

Not including any cleanup or reapplication, that's.. 9 steps minimum. You could get that down to like 10-15mins per Clanrat batching like 20 at a time.

14 steps per model!!!

*has a heart attack*

17 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

14 steps per model!!!

*has a heart attack*

I feel your pain. I'm actually doing it traditionally with base/shade/layer (layer only for skin tbh, I'm not going to highlight their robes, they're supposed to be dirty). I have 40 and I've only painted 25. It doesn't help that I try to be needlessly precise.

1 hour ago, michu said:

I feel your pain. I'm actually doing it traditionally with base/shade/layer (layer only for skin tbh, I'm not going to highlight their robes, they're supposed to be dirty). I have 40 and I've only painted 25. It doesn't help that I try to be needlessly precise.

I admit I am extra-slow when it comes to painting... I've not learned to ability to paint a lot of minis in one sitting. I paint one mini per evening...  So, 25? That might actually be the number of minis I've painted across these few years I am doing this hobby...

BTW. I got myself some Death-runners! But a few of them are already assembled and glued to the bases. The problem is, they came with 32mm bases when they were released in Silver Tower - meanwhile, AoS runners use 25mm bases. Any pointers on how to remove them from their bases safely..?

51 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

I admit I am extra-slow when it comes to painting... I've not learned to ability to paint a lot of minis in one sitting. I paint one mini per evening...  So, 25? That might actually be the number of minis I've painted across these few years I am doing this hobby...

BTW. I got myself some Death-runners! But a few of them are already assembled and glued to the bases. The problem is, they came with 32mm bases when they were released in Silver Tower - meanwhile, AoS runners use 25mm bases. Any pointers on how to remove them from their bases safely..?

Clip the base of till you only have a bot left from the base.

glue the cut off square left from your base onto another base, and with a magnificent explosion of a warlock bombardiers failed experiment in the background, your wrongly assembled miniatures now will be standing on the correct base size.

ps: although I am wondering why you’re using your death runner as gutter runners, when it would come a bit cheaper using them as death-masters.

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Clip the base of till you only have a bot left from the base.

glue the cut off square left from your base onto another base, and with a magnificent explosion of a warlock bombardiers failed experiment in the background, your wrongly assembled miniatures now will be standing on the correct base size.

ps: although I am wondering why you’re using your death runner as gutter runners, when it would come a bit cheaper using them as death-masters.

Thank you! As for the PS. - heh, I actually didn't think about it... Still, they fit better as Gutter Runners, IMHO.

BTW. I also bought myself four of the SoD Rat Ogors (I might've let myself be ripped off by one of the sellers, but I couldn't find a better offer, so...). Now, I'm wondering: should I leave them as they are, or should I try to convert them so that they actually *are* equipped with warpfire guns? I don't want to risk destroying these models - on the other hand, two of them seem to have these warpstone-powered blades. Not sure it makes sense to leave them that way, as the rules say nothing about them having such weaponry..?

BTW 2. Mighty vermin lords, could you help SaucyRatBear with his question above? Let's make him/ her feel welcome to this nest :)

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 9:38 PM, SaucyRatBear said:

Hail ratlings, I leap jumped straight into AOS by buying a full Skaven army and starting in an escalation league. I have mostly Skryre units but was wondering if it would be better at the 500 pts level to take lots of bodies or try to sneak in something with more punch. I noticed with FAQ and Errata that 2x20 clan rats, any 100 pt leader, and a doomwheel comes in at 500 pts but is that even good for this point level?

That might depend on what type of games you’re playing. I play meeting engagements and find that at 1,000 pts my Skryre are very effective. But at 2,000 pts I take hordes of clanrats because I’m trying to capture/hold objectives. 

At 500 pts I’d be taking something like 3xStormfiends, a warlock engineer/bombardier and a couple of rattling guns 😉

Hello
I'm going to my very first tournement next weekend and i have decided to bring the following list

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer (140)
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Grey Seer (140)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 185

I'm not that great at playing but I'm really exicted to play! Therefor i would like to know if anybody has any advice for playing Skaven in general or any tips and tricks i could do.

I know there will be: Ironjawz, Nurgle, KO, Freeguild, Stormcast, Slaanesh and Gloomspite attending 

Thanks a bunch!

Morning all,

Taking pure Skryre to a 2k tournament next month. It’s pretty much all shooty, Fiends, Acolytes and WLCs with 3 heroes in the 1 drop Batallion. Obviously it’s going to annihilate or be annihilated. Does anyone have any experience with gunlines?

It’s a one drop so I guess I’d be looking to deploy outside of their threat range and give them turn 1, as getting double turned would probably be fatal? There’s a unit of 3 melee Fiends that I could deploy off the board so they have to watch their back a bit  

Against Stormcast or anything with major deepstrike I’d be in a tight spot as they could just come in and destroy me so I guess be offensive vs. what’s on the board?

Any ideas gratefully accepted!!

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

There’s a unit of 3 melee Fiends that I could deploy off the board so they have to watch their back a bit  

Pretty sure you can’t do that anymore. Only 1 melee option for every 3 fiends.

unless you’re referring to warpfire/grinder/melee layout?

Edited by Cosmicsheep

So I am going to try this list that is very similar to the GT final 4th list:

Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
6 x Stormfiends (520)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Soulscream Bridge (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 167

It's more like a melee focus version because I am taking the warbringer instead of the deceiver, hopefully I could get the double frenzy off to make both the stormfiends and the monks fighty when killed.

Stormfiend are super strong in combat too, that's what I learned after using (or watching other people using ) them for sevaral times. 

I might make some changes to fit in the Cogs or even the soulseeker (not for the stormfiends of course) to sent nearly the whole army into combat in one turn, they are amazing.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, frostfire said:

Stormfiend are super strong in combat too, that's what I learned after using (or watching other people using ) them for sevaral times. 

I have a batrep with Seraphon showcasing that; I think 3-4 of them completely wiped 6 Rippers with just the Clubbing Blows (and MMMWP of course) which surprised me.

I love my Fiends, but if you've been watching any competitive games, they've been having mixed results due to Endless Spell spam (mostly from Changehost lists) or other means completely blocking\slowing them down and never engaging them. Which, incidentally is also how you need to deal with Gotrek. Anyway, they're great but with Hallowheart likely bringing on another means of Endless Spell spam, we may see stiffer competition in moving them around. Could mean we need to test out the Grinder Team a bit more?

I am going to a small tournament next week and one of the players is taking sevaral grinders to deepstrike nearly everthing in his army, guess we would find out how this work soon.

Besides, I haven't really took Gotrek into consideration. Is he really outstanding in game even we have a lot of stuff to block him or slow him down? Even if he get to get in combat 40 monks with death frenzy would be enough to deal with him. 

@frostfire It can work well, the problem with it is that you lose out on MMMWP which is what makes Fiends do the absurd damage, combined with a spark. You can Skitterleap an AW\Engineer in range of where they will end up and at least give them the Spark + Deranged Inventor if you so choose.

Gotrek isn't difficult to deal with, not for us at least. I almost always have spare points to bring Vermintide and Palisade or other blocking spells. 40 Monks on average should be able to deal with him, especially if you plink 1-2 wounds off him with shooting or spells first... even if he murders them all you just traded 280 points for 520.

51 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

Looking for some advice, how would the lgt 9fiend/40monk list deal with 4 bloodthirsters? My friends khorne list is the bane of my existence

Full out destruction in the name of the horned rat.

2of those bloodthirster can easily be shot to death by 9Strfiemds buffed with mmmwp and vigordust injector, in a single turn.

and your death frenzied plague monks will be able to deal with them as well rather easy.

Just use your clanrats as meathsields in the front and stay away from them as far as possible.

you really don't want to let the Bloothirster get another swing in the same combat phase against another unit of your army.

3 hours ago, Blitzd said:

Looking for some advice, how would the lgt 9fiend/40monk list deal with 4 bloodthirsters? My friends khorne list is the bane of my existence

As @Skreech Verminking said you really shouldn't have any issues. If you look at my most recent batrep against Slaanesh, I absolutely decimated those KoS' and other heroes using the same setup by T2\3. True they're different to Bloodthirsters, but the same concept applies; just point and shoot while keeping those Clanrats up far enough to be the only thing to charge into, but not for them to be able to jump over them and into the Fiends or heroes.

Assuming they choose who goes first, you really need to take their threat range into account and counter deploy accordingly. You have to decide if you can shoot 1-2 of them off the board if they go first and move aggressively. Of course if they make you go first, I would play it back; Khorne wants you to get closer. This mitigates them getting a double turn and likely leaves everything in range to get hit on your turn. This advise doesn't apply in every situation of course but it's generally a good strategy and you shouldn't be worried about losing some objectives T1 if it means you can easily catch back up by T2\3 and outscore when they have nothing left.

After 4 games with 9stormfiends on my 2k lists i had very bad results.

I am used to play a lot of rats (80 monks-30 acolytes) and i have a lot of trouble to manage my Stormfiends (they often start to shoot or melee around T3) and i lose to objectives.

How i am supposed to manage and set-up my stormfiends (and the rest of my army, wich is 60 Clanrats and 40 monks + Bell and 2 Bombardier) to get better results ? 

@Yasha They definitely should be shooting something with those Windlaunchers by T1 or 2 at the very least and the Ratlings are generally in range by T2 as well. Your opponent will need to get through 27 wounds before your shooting effectiveness goes down so I really wouldn't keep them far back. There is a reason many tournament lists are taking a Bridge to get them the mobility they need.. but it isn't completely necessary.

Mine are generally deployed up front or right behind a small Clanrat screen, but this depends on the army I play against; Slaanesh who will easily charge T1? I'll be farther back. Seraphon or a more passive army? Deploy more aggressively. I don't really know how you aren't getting them in range of anything for 3 turns without more information on what you're currently doing; it just sounds like you're overly afraid of them dying so you keep them far back and out of the fight.

Sharing a quick story - Warp Lightning Vortex and recent tourney game.

i hadn’t had much luck with the WLV initially, and only fielded it with not great results, so I tried it this weekend because I need more experience.

So, first game was a mirror match Skaven vs Skaven - opponent went first.

He was able to plant the WLV where my Archwarplock general was right at 6 inches.... perfect placement.  I’m getting a Master level lesson here.

Top of turn 1 - Hero Phase he rolls for to Hit AW - hits.  3 Mortals.  On the move phase - rolls to hit the AW - hits - 3 mortals.  

My AW general with Vigordust Injector evaporated - Awesome!!! Before my first Hero phase even!

Now a fan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So! I tried out 9 fiends in 3 games last weekend. Jezez! Talk about a wreck house! All 3 games against Sylvaneth. I tried them with the bridge, and a warp-grinder team.

First game was places of arcane power. In this game I tried the bridge. Decided to go first. Casted the bridge, moved the 9 fiends + AW (gryph feather charm artefact, since the sylvaneth player had 6 bow hunters). Only windlaunchers in range, decided to get rid of the branchwraith who summons dryads, 3 windlaunchers doing 15 dmg...I was like "WTF". Sylvaneth turn, 6 hunters shot the fiends, killed 1. Failed a charge (twice) with 6 scythe hunters hiding in the forest.

Won the rolloff. 3 Windlaunchers, fully buffed deleted 4 of the scythe hunters. Charged some monks into the 6 bow hunters, only getting in 8 or something, totally forgot about trample hahaha and he killed of 14 monks or something. 

Since this was a practice game for a upcoming mini tournament (2hours 30min playtime),we decided to call it, some, and move on to the next game since the timer was up. Also we did some slow playing😂Skaven win 6-1.

Game 2, burning objective game, tried the warp-grinder unit. Sylvaneth went first, teleported 6 sword hunters in my right rank, obliterated 18 clanrats who sat on the objective, 2 left in range for the screaming bell auto pass battleshock😂Skaven T1, skitterleaped the AH were the fiends popped up (middle of the board), only deraned inventor buff, put ALL the firepower into the 6 swords, 3 rattling gunners, 3 windlaunchers, deleted the unit, then charged them into 10 spite-revenants, deleted the unit. Ported 40 monks through a gnawhole, and made a superb 11 inch charge into 10 dryads, they got deleted. The 2 remaining clanrats reclaimed the objective! 

I won the rolloff T2, Sylvaneth conceded. I was in range to burn 2 of hes objectives T2. And just needed to burn 2 of mine, and screen like a king against him not having that much left.

Here is the thing tho, since I did not manage to get off More more warp power on the 9 fiends cause being underground, the windlaunchers only did like 4 dmg on the 6 swords, where the rattling gunners did the work here.

Game 3, starstrike.

Went for the bridge again. Took T1 (should not have done that) overcommitted the 9 fiends up the board over the bridge with no screens. Shot down 6 hunters with the windlaunchers. The sylvaneth player was in a "*** it mode" and did a list with 12 scythes😂Ported them in, FAILED the charge TWICE! But won the rolloff for a double turn, lets just say it's not pretty when 12 scythe hunters gets to charge. He took out 7 fiends. Too confident after 2 wins with them hehe.

Dispelled the bridge, and recast it to get the 2 remaining rattling gunner fiends out of close combat (neath trick btw!).

Anyway, Sylvaneth ended up winning with 12 points against Skavens 9. Good games!

I can see both the bridge and warp-grinder really being both neat tricks! Bridge lets you fully buff them up, and move so alteast the windlaunchers gets in range, I had no idea they were that strong! With rerolling everything + spark. Warp-grinder lets you have total "board controll" and just popping up wherever. But I had to swap out deathfrenzy for skitterleap, meaning skitterleap HAS to go off on the AW before I pop up a single stormfiend.

Edited by Darkhan
  • Like 2

Hi guys!! Please give me feedback on my list, what can i improve? Thankyou!

Also what items and such should i give my general?

Leaders
Skaven Clawlord on Brood Horror (180)
- General
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Warlock Engineer (100)

Battleline
40 x Stormvermin (450)
- Halberd & Shield
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear