5kaven5lave

Looking for the meanest 1k list I can find for a mini hardcore event this weekend. So for this is what I've come up with

Allegiance: Skaventide
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- General
- Trait: Deranged Inventor
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Bombardier (100)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
3 x Stormfiends (260)

Total: 980 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 84
Any thoughts or changes? 

30 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

Looking for the meanest 1k list

The meanest list you say, how about 160 clanrats, a single Grey seer with the snout grovel thingie making them immune to battleshock, and 5gutter runners.

with this list you might be entitled as the most annoying player in the history of hardcore warhammer gaming😜.

and they will fear you!

@Blitzd I don't know that you need a Bell for what you're going for. If you want something mean that stays along the same lines, I would just drop it, add at least 3 more Fiends to that unit for 6 and run either both Engineers or a sole AW + the Ratling (throw in Vermintide\another Endless if you so desire for the remaining 40).

On another note, monthly games at one of the LGS' is doing 1500 this Saturday. I decided to run 2 different lists depending on opponents; some people are more competitive and I don't want to use a bunch of Fiends against those that aren't.

Magic (fun\"less competitive")

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Grey Seer (140)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Verminlord Deceiver (300)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Endless Spells / Terrain
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Vermintide (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)

Total: 1490 / 1500
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95

Fiends

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Grey Seer (140)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
9 x Stormfiends (780)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Soulscream Bridge (80)

Total: 1480 / 1500
Wounds: 80

Magic list still has all of its tech and with it relying on casting I value it less competitive... that said, if stuff does go off (and yes, re-rolls and +1 helps with that) it can be pretty devastating. I aim to teach some proper screening and turn priority evaluation using it which should put me at a disadvantage with it; I'll likely tell them how to ensure the Corruptor cannot get where it needs. Some people have asked how the spell priority goes previously, but as always this depends. Typical t1 usually looks like:
>MS on the Corruptor from Seer
>Skitterleap him with Deceiver
>Corruptor casts Plague\AB + Pendulum\Geminids
>Deceiver casts Vermintide to get it going up the board for blocking\deterent
>Seer Skitterleaps the AW
>AW casts WLS + WLV

Anyway, it's fun to use, requires some thinking on your toes if stuff doesn't go off but it can generally work out either way if you have priority or not. I've put 1-2 Gnawholes in their backline before so they cover it up with screens, leaving heroes more vulnerable to the Corruptor. If they don't then you could potentially have your Corruptor getting +1 for his spells as well before charging in; having the 6" Skitterleap gives him a lot more room to play with in the backlines. All this depends on the battleplan of course.

The Fiend list should be pretty obviously cut and dry. There's no real screening here, and no room for minimum 60 Clanrats without giving up MMMWP redundancy or WLV combo (drop the Acolytes, Seer and WLV for 60 Clanrats). This one really boils down to testing to see which I prefer. Against certain armies, like Seraphon, the minimal screening Acolytes is likely a no-go.

Edited by Gwendar

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Quick rules question:

Stormfiends with Grinderfists - I HAVE to roll the dice every movement phase don’t I, even if I don’t want them? The wording is ‘at the end of each of your movement phases, roll a dice...’ rather than ‘you can roll a dice’. 

Yep. Since "can" is not present then you must do it each phase.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@Blitzd I don't know that you need a Bell for what you're going for. If you want something mean that stays along the same lines, I would just drop it, add at least 3 more Fiends to that unit for 6 and run either both Engineers or a sole AW + the Ratling (throw in Vermintide\another Endless if you so desire for the remaining 40).

Unfortunately, I only have 3 storm fiends, but thinking about what you said, I've change to this, it might be more impactful. The bell was to just try to summon the verminlord haha

Warlock Bombardier (100)
- General
- Trait: Deranged Inventor
Warlock Bombardier (100)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
3 x Stormfiends (260)
6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 80

I'm putting to keep 2 bombadiers solely for places of arcane power, and mmwp back up

Man, the last 2 months has been an ordeal. I have spent all my spare time painting for the team tournament this monday. It'll be my first AoS event (but nowhere near first tournament) and I'm going in with only 3-4 games experience.

My captain is playing Spiderfang, we've also got a Beastclaw Raiders, Beasts of Chaos, Deepkin and myself.

I'm taking this:

Mortal Realm: Chamon

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
-
 Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
-
 Artefact: Rune Blade (I couldn't take the Sword of Judgement as realms were unique)
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
-
 General: Master of Magic

40 x Clanrats (200)
-
 Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
-
 Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
-
 Rusty Blade
40 x Plague Monks (280)
-
 Woe-stave and Foetid Blade
- 1x Icon of Pestilence, Contagion Banner, Doom Gongs, Bale Chimes
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)

Vermintide (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 183

Here's everything I've painted in preperation for this event, regardless of me using it or not. Warbringer is for the Bell to summon. It now feels weird that I don't have a current painting project. I finished the last model this morning.

wholearmy.jpg

edit: The unit of Clanrats on the bottom left are a different scheme, pre-contrast. I'll replace them when I'm not on a clock. They technically weren't painted for this event.

Edited by Obeisance
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blitzd said:

Unfortunately, I only have 3 storm fiends, but thinking about what you said, I've change to this, it might be more impactful. The bell was to just try to summon the verminlord haha

*snip*

I'm putting to keep 2 bombadiers solely for places of arcane power, and mmwp back up

Looks good to me honestly. Best of luck to you and @Obeisance on your respective games. I have these 40 Monks to finish painting and I think I'll finally post everyone up after 2 years of just talking about them.

• Like 1

Well, I was going to have 1-2 more games today to add to this, but the event got cancelled by the LGS so figured I would go ahead and do this write-up on it's own using my VL\Magic list. Enjoy... I'll go back to finishing my Monks now.

Edited by Gwendar

Something I was wondering about today, is not putting the wooden frames on a gnaw hole cheating? Obviously this changes what will fit on a gnawhole, in some recent videos, I saw plays but a full screaming bell on one that obviously would not fit if the wooden frames were attached, and technically it is using an unfinished model. Is this modelling for advantage? 

1 hour ago, Blitzd said:

Something I was wondering about today, is not putting the wooden frames on a gnaw hole cheating? Obviously this changes what will fit on a gnawhole, in some recent videos, I saw plays but a full screaming bell on one that obviously would not fit if the wooden frames were attached, and technically it is using an unfinished model. Is this modelling for advantage? 

Well modeling for advantage is probably the correct word, although in this case it’s less about the gameplay but rather a advantage in transporting them.

Small question for fellow rat painters - I plan to add Plague Monks to my army but I can't decide how to paint them. My color scheme for now looks like that: Skryre units - Kantor Blue, non-Clanrats Verminus units - Khorne Red, Clanrats - Blue and Red. I don't know if I should paint Pestilens units with traditional green robes or try to fit it more to other units using other shades of blue or red? At first I wanted to paint it yellow but myarmy has desert bases and it would blend too much. Any tips?

1 hour ago, michu said:

Small question for fellow rat painters - I plan to add Plague Monks to my army but I can't decide how to paint them. My color scheme for now looks like that: Skryre units - Kantor Blue, non-Clanrats Verminus units - Khorne Red, Clanrats - Blue and Red. I don't know if I should paint Pestilens units with traditional green robes or try to fit it more to other units using other shades of blue or red? At first I wanted to paint it yellow but myarmy has desert bases and it would blend too much. Any tips?

How about some kind of sickly brown? My personal opinion would be against going with another shade of red - both because it'd make your Plague Monks less distinctive and because I'd be more interesting to have another colour on the table. But of course, it all depends on what you like.

If I can have an unrelated question: Rat Ogors. Are they useful? They are similar to Storm Fiends, but cheaper and also with a lot less of weapon options...

BTW. What's up the Rat Ogors from Spire Of Dawn? They are much superior in appearance to the regular Rat Ogors GW is selling. But they aren't available in GW's shop... I wish they were, because the old Rat Ogors just don't look good. On the other hand, I'm not sure if these two fit with current rules? They don't seem to have the warpfire gun weapon option - on the other hand, one of them seems to be equipped with some sort of warp-energy blade that's not covered by the rules?

Overall, are these two worth getting?

GW didn't release them separately because they were on the sprues with other skaven and aelves. Remaking the sprue would be too expensive.

And thank you for your tip - with that "other shade of red and blue" I was thinking that instead of Kantor Blue I could paint it with Stegadon Scale Green (that recipe for armour in the Battletome) so they wouldn't look out of place but still retaining their distinctiveness.

28 minutes ago, michu said:

GW didn't release them separately because they were on the sprues with other skaven and aelves. Remaking the sprue would be too expensive.

I see... And is there any point of trying to get them?

29 minutes ago, michu said:

And thank you for your tip - with that "other shade of red and blue" I was thinking that instead of Kantor Blue I could paint it with Stegadon Scale Green (that recipe for armour in the Battletome) so they wouldn't look out of place but still retaining their distinctiveness.

Hmmm. Interesting colour, but it's still quite close to Kantor Blue (I think? I'm somewhat colour-blind)...

2 hours ago, michu said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.1330811e2f939cb00d33481896c548ea.png

Here how would they look.

I like this look! :) It fits them. It's just I'm not sure I'd go with that if other units would be blue (even if it was a different shade of blue) - but that's purely a creative choice. The colour is good on its own.

Any input on the useability of the rat ogors? Help me out here, guys, please...

5 hours ago, michu said:

You could paint their robes with traditional green and their hoods with kantor blue.