5kaven5lave

1 hour ago, frostfire said:

I am going to play against Seraphon next weekend. Never played skaven against them before. Is Seraphon a tough matchup for skaven even in the new world?

Hoping for advice from you guys.My opponent mainly plays shadowstrike and Dracothion’s tail, that's all I know.

Considering I play against a competitive Seraphon  player almost bi-weekly... I have a few things. Shadowstrike is going to be obnoxious since it come from anywhere right outside 3", so you need to properly screen from this. Those Rippers (or even Terradons) will shred pretty much anything but tend to die directly after that to shooting; they're a surgical strike and often a points trade for me.

Speaking of shooting, I highly advise you to bring either 6-9 Jezzails or Stormfiends.. hell even a couple WLC's or a Doomwheel if you don't have those. Your #1 priority is going to be to kill the Slann in order to shut down summoning. If they have any Engine of the Gods, those need to die as well. If either of those stick around, you'll soon be flooded with skinks and with their ability to teleport a unit anywhere (most take the trait to allow them to do this twice a turn) nowhere on the board is safe from them teleporting to and summoning in more stuff.

Now... Aside from Rippers they don't really have anything punchy and they rely almost solely on summoning and board control. They will win attrition if you allow them to flood the board with summoned stuff. A smart Seraphon player will ensure you can never hit that Slann, or use Gnawholes to get a good shot off, so you'll really need to be careful with deployment. Take it out in the first couple of turns and it'll likely be a breeze from there, depending on what you're running.

I got that shoot off the slann and  the engine is the vital.

I've played Stromcast against him once. I took the slann off the table T1 with ballistas, but other units still kept annoying. Razordons with rerolling hits stayed killy alongside the standrad bearer. 

Seraphon are tough oppenent because they so many units with so many tricks. I think I wouldn't be able to deal the rippers, the slann, the engine, the razordons and even the bastiladon all in the same time. 

I might just screen my shooty guys and try to snipe the slann and see what happen then.

@frostfire Like I said, that depends on your list. If you're running melee heavy, you would have a harder time from my experience thanks to Skink roadblocks preventing you from getting in close to the important things that stay in the backfield. My key to success has always been kill the summoning early on and you're generally good... if you don't then yeah, it will be hard to claw back from that.

I could recommend the Soulscream Bridge (hell, as much as I don't care for them, even a Grinder Team) to pop up closer and hopefully they misinterpret the pre-measuring on your shooting.

Yeah, thats still less than 100 and I already have 40. So only one box more to buy (for now ofc, I just need a small  break as painting hordes of Clanrats is for us players like warpdust for Grey Seers - necessary yet dangerous for our mind :) ).

Edited by michu

@Darkhan Yeah that list was perplexing... shame no-one got footage of any of those games because I really want to see how he made that work to get 3rd, though Dan is a great player to his credit; it seems not too great on paper.

@michu I agree, I've 100% changed stances on needing 80-100 after the influx of lists using 60 along with personally testing it. With the heavy power focus being on Fiends and Monks, you can easily run those 40 Monks (or Stormvermin, if you really want to) onto an objective and kill whatever is there... objectives don't need to be watched over all the time unless you're playing someone like Seraphon so it's seldom a big deal. 40 will die about as easily as 20 will, so when you're removing 1-3 units off the table per turn with bully units, they don't usually need to stick around longer to justify needing units of 40.

This is the list I'm going to start running. Decent shooting to take off key heroes, two strong combat threats, WLV for mortals and area denial and then two bells for obvious reasons. I'm just unsure if I have enough bodies to keep the Clawlord alive with Verminous Valour. I guess if the enemy is aiming to kill him then they're letting the stronger units off

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- Lore of Ruin: Plague
Skaven Clawlord on Brood Horror (160)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Verminous Valour
40 x Stormvermin (450)
20 x Clanrats (120)
20 x Clanrats (120)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
6 x Warplock Jezzails (280)

Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 166

44 minutes ago, Cosmicsheep said:

I think you’ll need a Warlock Engineer/Bombardier to buff those jezzails (spark, MMWP) but your clawlord should be ok with the -1 to hit him. 

This was my initial thought but you don't really need the re-rolls from MMWP and the spark is only adding 1-2 damage a turn. I think the WLV will prove a better investment for 100 points.

Quick question sorry If already answered long ago.,,

If running 2 Screaming Bells, and roll Roll Peal of Doom for both, and say both rolls are same - like a 7 for Avalanche of Energy (+1 to Cast)... 

The results Stack? Right?  So two rolls of 7 for Avalanche if Energy would be +2 for all casters for the phase?

25 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Quick question sorry If already answered long ago.,,

If running 2 Screaming Bells, and roll Roll Peal of Doom for both, and say both rolls are same - like a 7 for Avalanche of Energy (+1 to Cast)... 

The results Stack? Right?  So two rolls of 7 for Avalanche if Energy would be +2 for all casters for the phase?

Correct

Alright y'all, played a game against the Gitz today and had hella fun:

Leaders:
Grey Seer (Splinter)
Grey Seer (Warpgale) (Master of Magic)
VL Warpseer (Suspicious Stone)
Thanquol/Boneripper (Skitterleap)

Battleline:
3x20 Clanrats

Artillery:
x6 Jezzails

Endless Spells:
WLV
Cogs
Umbral Spellportal
Pendulum
Shackles
Vermintide

2000/2000
108 Wounds

At one point, I had 2 Grey Seers and the Verminlord standing huddled around a Spell Portal, Cogs, and a Gnawhole just slinging spells.

Used Vermintide and my Verminlords base to body block some Hoppers from annihilating my Jezzails. At one point I had his Loonboss, two units of Hoppers, and a Mangler inside my WLV while the Pendulum whittled away at his Stabbas and sniped smaller heroes.

Thanquol marched around roasting Hoppas and smashing Squigs. Was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KingOfSuede said:

Alright y'all, played a game against the Gitz today and had hella fun:

*snip*

At one point, I had 2 Grey Seers and the Verminlord standing huddled around a Spell Portal, Cogs, and a Gnawhole just slinging spells.

Used Vermintide and my Verminlords base to body block some Hoppers from annihilating my Jezzails. At one point I had his Loonboss, two units of Hoppers, and a Mangler inside my WLV while the Pendulum whittled away at his Stabbas and sniped smaller heroes.

Thanquol marched around roasting Hoppas and smashing Squigs. Was a lot of fun.

No one plays Gitz around here.. unfortunate as I would like to see them in action. I like the different take on a magic heavy list; arguably more magic-based than the one I always run with the Deceiver + Corruptor for some CC ability. Curious though, you didn't cast multiple spells through that portal you crowded everything around did you? I still see people casting more than 1 per turn (even endless spells through it) and it's something I have to correct a lot around here.

Get some pictures next time, I love seeing how this stuff plays out with all those spells flying around. It's a lot deadlier than people give it credit for. I should probably bust out Thanquol for a fun list for old times sake sometime soon...

@Gwendar did I cast more than one spell through it a turn?  😰😰😰 Um

I honestly don't remember if I did. I know the Pendulum went through, but after that most things were in the 18-26" range that most of the damage spells I was using are. 🤷 I'll remember for next time for sure, I don't think it changed the outcome of the game though.

If I had another VL, Thanquol probably would have been a Deceiver but the way he performed, I might tweek the list but keep him for next time. As good as Grey Seers are, it just seems like you're paying 140 points for 2 spells a turn because you can't get them in combat of any kind.

However Wither did some work to protect my Verminlord from his Squigs (he one-shot it the previous game, did 0 in this one). Warpgale has decent CC. That and WLV stopping flying meant I could block pathing with the Vermintide spell. My one Grey Seer having Splinter also meant that my opponent was extremely careful with his movement, charges, and pile-ins knowing losing one meant losing half the unit

Edited by KingOfSuede

@KingOfSuede Yeah, I was just curious since you said you crowded them around it, no worries... just looking out so no-one calls you out on it later on 😅. When Endless Spells first came out I ran a list with the BW, Portal, Cogs and Palisade and had 3-4 Wizards casting spells through it with no fear of retaliation thanks to the Palisade... of course once they changed the Spellportal to only allow 1 spell to be cast through it per turn it shut that down. Same with endless spells; they can't be cast through a portal but they can end their movement by one and go through the other side.

I really miss Thanquol, but in my mind his only use was to cast the WLV with the +3, and without that 26" range on it he turns into a 400 point target that I simply cannot find myself bringing in my magic list where I absolutely need to get WLV into their deployment T1 unlike other lists where it can be used more as denial. Now granted, those 2 Warpfire Throwers + 2 Braziers have cleared 20+ Hearthguard before so he still has use in that regard. I think I just prefer using a Deceiver + Corruptor as my projection of power as this gives me Horde clearing on-top of Hero deletion from the SoJ.

Magic based Skaven lists really are one of the most fun ways to play in my opinion. The tech and surprise nature involved is rewarding....

...until you roll low casts all game or your opponent is banging out every unbind.

Playing another 2k game today for my stores summer tournament against FEC I think (though it might not be a competitive list?).
Gonna probably be running this list:

Leaders
Arch Warlock (Warp Lightning Shield)
Bombardier (MMMWP)
Bombardier (MMMWP)(Vial of the Fulminator)
VL Warpseer (Suspicious Stone)(Master of Magic)

Battleline
3x20 Clanrats

Artillery
x2 WLC
x6 Jezzails

Battalion
Warpcog (Arkhspark x2)

Endless Spells
WLV
Vermintide

POINTS 1980/2000
WOUNDS 116

Scenario is scorched Earth.
Trying to figure out what to change so I can keep the battalion but also have a unit of 40 Clanrats. Played an almost identical list yesterday and didn't have any objective grabbing power with only 20 rat units

@KingOfSuede I don't know that you can really do that as you need to have the AW and 2 Engineers. A lot of people are running only 60 Clanrats, but this is supplemented with 9 Fiends or 40+ Monks... or both. You'll need to look at dropping the Warpseer (Screaming Bell is probably the best alternative in my opinion) or the WLV to make room for it. If you run the Bell, you can also give yourself Skitterleap to get that AW into range for the WLV.

@Gwendar unfortunately I don't own a Screaming Bell or Plague Monks. 

On top of all the Clanrats I'll ever need, I have 6 Stormfiends, 2 Grey Seers, and a Doomwheel 🤷 not opposed to dropping the Warpseer, but would probably go for 1950 so I can buy another command point

EDIT: NVM, decided to have some fun. Dropped the VL and WLV for 2 Grey Seers, Shackles, Pendulum, and a Command point

Edited by KingOfSuede
  • Like 1