Custom KO color scheme, could use help

DavionStar

If this isnt the right forum I apologize but it seems more appropriate here than the painting/modelling forum cause I don't have anything yet.

Anyway! I'm trying to think up a paint scheme for my KO army. I have my first Arkanaut squad assembled and will probably prime them this week if I get a decent evening.

I want them to incorporate purple, green and silver. I feel like brass is almost mandatory cause steampunk, but I'd rather go a darker brass if I do.

Any advice you guys could give?

Thanks!

Do you know which kind of purple ? Steampunk imagery use sometimes a more reddish/brownish one, or something like the GW screamer pink scheme which works very well with the brass. If you go for something more modern, more vivid or more blue, especially with a flashy light green, you will go into the classical alien/baddies paint scheme. Very strong but not very steampunk. 

Light green could work very well instead of the light blue GW used for the shiny window effect on their windows and googles.

And if you want to be very original and know how to paint, a desaturated military green where GW use screamer pink with deep fuchsia effect on the windows and googles will be very sexy. For my Nighthaunt I will myself go the fang/fuchsia but it can work also for KO

https://skylanders.fandom.com/wiki/Motherly_Mayhem?file=Kaos_Fortress.jpg

341_73_QRQ93X7RG4J9_en.png

The colors for that Dominator Bauble card looks sick. Wouldn't want that on my main army...but I was thinking of possibly doing a small batch of "Ghost Ship" units and that'd look great for it.

I'm actually totally cool with Pink Horror over Screamer Pink. I'd honestly just paint my army Barak-Nar or Urbaz if I wasn't set on making my own.

But thinking on that...I'm looking at a few of the Sky-Ports and maybe I could combine some of the looks. The dark steel of Urbaz, the purple overalls of Nar, and the trim of Mhornar, but make it green? Then use the normal brass. Might contrast better than a dark bronze.

I wish I could get a nice clean scan/PDF of my battletome pages so I could throw them into CSP and try them out, but I'm having issues scanning my own. XP

17 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Got some help converting a scan from my battle tome to just the outlines and I've come up with a few different color schemes. I'm leaning towards the bottom right one. Any thoughts?

colorscheme.png

Those are not what I'd advice. Seriously... keep the purple an accent, dont'do such huge surfaces with it.  IF you use it I'd say use a very dark purple for the suite like you used the dark blue @ bottom right, not the brigth purple you've been using here)

I'd say that you should pick between silver or brass.. 1 metal color, OR if you do 2 at least 2 somewhat similar: maybe a dark metal (titanium like) for armor and a lighter one for the blades.

Anyway: IF you want silver green and purple I'd say: Dark purple suit and everything you have brown now dark green (or vice versa), All metally armory bits dark greyish metal and blade brighter (I'd not go silver but more steely) metal. also use the brighter metal for a few accents on the larger armor parts like the helmet. This would be closer too upper right I guess.. (but darker purple). If you don't mind loosing the green I'd keep the brown part brown instead of green btw.

I'm probably a bit conservative but I prefer 3-4 colors on my models except for a few additional for small details (and ofc excluding shades etc and highlights)

I was planning to go a dark, metallic purple, dark steel and the dark bronze FractalRain suggested. These were just concepts to get an idea of what I wanted and get opinions of some folks.

I'm gonna get my company primed and paint at least the base on one of them by this weekend. I need to figure out what paints to buy.

I just wanted to chime in and say you can mix metals and it'll still look good.  You just want a nice balance of cool vs warm colors and I used a mix of brass/copper, gold, and dark iron/silver.  Here is a link to one of my models, though there are other great examples in there too:

Archived