Mount traits on a named character's mount

Bradipo322

Question

Can a named character's mount receive a mount trait?

Searching trought the books (Core Book, General's Handbook 2018 and Battletomes) I can't find nothing about it.
In the Core Book (in the Core Rules section) it is specified that named characters can't receive Command Traits and Artifacts of Power, but it doesn't mention Mount Traits.
Mount Traits aren't even mentioned on the General's Handbook 2018 and on the Battletome that I'm using (the last that Stormcasts Eternals received, so it should be up to date) it is not specified that named character's mounts can't receive a Mount Trait.

Treating is as RAW (rules as written) it should be possible to give a Mount Trait to a named character's mount.

For example Vandus Hammerhand's dracoth, Calanax, could receive the Thunder Caller Mount Trait.

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, King Taloren said:

I’m fairly certain the rules that named characters are not allowed to have traits extend to even the mounts since they are all still the same model. You pay to have the named characters abilities so you don’t get to enhance anything with another trait even if it doesn’t go on the hero persay.

"Named characters such as Nagash, Archaon and Alarielle are singular and mighty warriors, with their own personalities and artefacts of power. As such, these models cannot have a command trait or artefact of power."

(https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2018/06/AoS_Rules-ENG.pdf, page 17)

It does not talk about traits in general, but command traits specifically. Unless we are missing something, @Bradipo322 is correct (RAW).

Edited by Isotop

From the Stormcast Eternals Battletome. (From the Mount Traits, not the Command Trait or the Artefacts of Power sections): "If a Stormcast Eternals army includes any HEROES mounted on DRACOTHS, STARDRAKES, GRYPH-CHARGERS, DRACOLINES or TAURALONS, one of those HEROES can have a mount trait. Declare which HERO has the mount trait and then pick which mount trait table you wish to use. You can choose or roll for a mount trait from the table you pick. You can choose one extra HERO to have a mount trait for each warscroll battallion in your army. The same HERO cannot have more than one mount trait."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paniere said:

I'm going to necro this post because I cannot find a definitive position by GW on this matter. It appears that RAW you can still give named characters' mounts despite this clearly appears not intended. Did I miss a faq out? What the faq :D

It doesn't need an FAQ

The core rules state the following on Page 17 like Isotop said.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:51 PM, Isotop said:

"Named characters such as Nagash, Archaon and Alarielle are singular and mighty warriors, with their own personalities and artefacts of power. As such, these models cannot have a command trait or artefact of power."

A Mount Trait is neighter a command trait nor an Artefact of Power. So it isn't restriced for named Charakters at the moment.

6 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

It doesn't need an FAQ

The core rules state the following on Page 17 like Isotop said.

A Mount Trait is neighter a command trait nor an Artefact of Power. So it isn't restriced for named Charakters at the moment.

Ok thank you! So you're just confirming my thoughts on the current state of this matter. However I disagree when you say it doesn't need a faq (and btw you disagree with yourself too adding "at the moment", implying a change could occur via faq) . This is clearly an oversight by the rules team because named characters shouldn't be customizable in their traits (including mount ones) . They aren' t generic leaders but specific ones with their own traits, paid in points. I also feel pretty weak the insinuation of correlation with a  named being able to choose spells, since a mount trait is much more comparable to a command trait/ artifact than to a spell. I think this rule was intended to prevent combos between traits/artifacts and nameds' own traits. Anyways point cleared, thank you

58 minutes ago, Paniere said:

Ok thank you! So you're just confirming my thoughts on the current state of this matter. However I disagree when you say it doesn't need a faq (and btw you disagree with yourself too adding "at the moment", implying a change could occur via faq) . This is clearly an oversight by the rules team because named characters shouldn't be customizable in their traits (including mount ones) . They aren' t generic leaders but specific ones with their own traits, paid in points. I also feel pretty weak the insinuation of correlation with a  named being able to choose spells, since a mount trait is much more comparable to a command trait/ artifact than to a spell. I think this rule was intended to prevent combos between traits/artifacts and nameds' own traits. Anyways point cleared, thank you

Maybe they change it with 3rd Edition but at the moment it is not restricted + the first Mount Traits were introduces directly after 2nd Edition with the Battletome Stormcast Eternals (so mounttraits are nearly as old as the edition itself).

Edited by EMMachine
  • Thanks 1