What to do Against Sylvaneth that just won't come out of the woods

stekr

*Attempts to revive a dead thread*

So they take up a lot of space, deal mortal wounds to the enemy, also kill them if they try and charge or run across them, also provide teleportation shenanigans and summoning zones... what if, and I mean what IF... they lose or pair down one or two of these benefits. I'm thinking they lose the "dangerous terrain" benefit and you aren't penalized for try to take an objective by fighting them there.  Maybe the Wyld Mortal Wounds thing too unless intentionally cast a spell that makes the woods attack.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopping the woods from lashing out even when a spell is unbound would also allow a bit more counter-play. I'm very much against rules that cannot be interacted with.

If the woods were smaller or had more restrictions they might be avoidable, but right now you cannot stay out of em.

The Woods are a reason I plan to give my Troggoth Hag the Thermalrider Cloak.   Then she can fly and puke on whoever is hiding in the woods, and curse them too without getting mortally wounded in return.  The Rockguts can charge in and feel no pain, or at least less pain than most.  Chaos Warriors and Knights are good for their shields like that too.  Hmmm, other flying shooty things could be Flamers/Burning Chariots, maybe the Idoneth have something, Seraphon pterodactyls perhaps?  Flying shooty things are good in general I'd say.

13 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

The Woods are a reason I plan to give my Troggoth Hag the Thermalrider Cloak.   Then she can fly and puke on whoever is hiding in the woods, and curse them too without getting mortally wounded in return.  The Rockguts can charge in and feel no pain, or at least less pain than most.

Not at all, flying won't prevent mortals from woods reacting to magic and feel no pain won't do anything against being slain for charging through the woods (does not affect Hag however)

On 2/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, Black Blade said:

Good point, my advice as a SC player: you have three options.

1. Hit them with an endless spell(s)

2. Deal mortal wounds with non line of sight spells

3. [The most likely option] charge them and pray. The way they can spawn woods over the game you just have to accept you are always going to be playing them on their turf. No way around it just charge them after hopefully buffing a combat unit and pray the dice gods are kind to you.

Also as SC: take some Grpyh Hounds, walk into the forest, run away when you’ve had a fight, repeat. 

Evocators have some very big advantages as you only need one guy to make the charge and the rest still get to do huge damage with their lightening even if none of them actually swing a Sword in anger.

Also in general with any unit against Sylvaneth,  you only need to complete the charge into a unit in the wood, so no more than one model has to risk dying if you’re careful. Even if they die the charge still counts as they finished the move as stipulated,  they die as a consequence of the move not before it. As many folks that are in range as possible can pile-in without any risk in the next phase regardless as to whether the charger lives or dies.

3 hours ago, XReN said:

Not at all, flying won't prevent mortals from woods reacting to magic and feel no pain won't do anything against being slain for charging through the woods (does not affect Hag however)

No I mean she can get rid of the tree peoples hiding in the woods whilst my feeble minions run around and avoid them whenever possible.  The Fungoid Shaman will cast the endless spells from afar and they won't be able to hide from them in there, as I don't need LOS for casting the Scuttletide or Mork's Mushroom, and Hand of Gork can teleport my Rockguts to the backfield or anywhere as needed.

Archived