How Long Have You Been in the Hobby?

Sleboda

When Did You Get In?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Warhammer was your first?

• Warhammer Fantasy Battle 1st edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 4th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 5th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 6th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 7th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 8th edition
    • End Times
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 1.0
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 2.0 (at or near launch)
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 2.0 (within the last few months)

I put down 4th, although had a long break between then and picking up with AOS 1.0. 

Had that High Elves and Goblins box that came with cardboard Griffin and Wyvern, as well as some cardboard terrain, but remember the Bretonnia box coming out. I also remember my parents asking me whether I wanted to keep the models when I moved out to go to Uni and saying no. Regret that now with eBay prices for Dragon Princes, Silver Helms, Tyrion, Teclis, etc....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I started Warhammer Fantasy in 2nd edition, but the first miniatures I bought were Lord of the Rings Minifigs in 1977.  Used these for some early D&D.  Then left Fantasy soon after 4th came out and returned to it during 8th, spending the intervening years playing live-action and Tabletop roleplaying, and some English Civil War Historical wargaming.  In terms of Fantasy, I can honestly say that AOS is the best system (of those I've played) and had it been there earlier, I probably wouldn't have given up on it when I did.  

Long may it continue.

21 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Don't know what to make of it, ...

I think it shows what GW is doing right - that if they ever got their claws in you somehow, they have ways to drag you back, even if it is kicking and screaming, and at the same time, they are still able to get new people into the hobby.

Just as it should be, really ...

Say what you will of GW (and they have made a lot of errors in the past 25+ years I've been playing), they somehow get THAT part right.

Mostly what I'm wondering about, and don't know what to make of, is the dip for 7th and 8th. 

My initial reaction is that there are two obvious  possible explanations for that dip.  1) Fewer people started playing WFB during those editions or 2) The people who started playing during those editions are no longer playing AoS. 

I could make a case for either explanation, really, but it would just be making stuff up.

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Mostly what I'm wondering about, and don't know what to make of, is the dip for 7th and 8th. 

My initial reaction is that there are two obvious  possible explanations for that dip.  1) Fewer people started playing WFB during those editions or 2) The people who started playing during those editions are no longer playing AoS. 

I could make a case for either explanation, really, but it would just be making stuff up.

My sense as a guy who has been around a long time (3rd ed)  is major edition changes (5th to 6th, 7th to 8th, 8th to AoS 1.0) tend to drive away those who started with an edition and are convinced it is 'the one true and perfect holy grail of rule sets.'  With each of those edition changes there were major mechanics changes - the game didn't really play or feel like what it was before that edition.  The minor chnages (4th to 5th, 6th to 7th, AoS 1.0 to AoS 2.0) feel like minor refinements of the rules.  

There is a higher 'forget it I'm done with this game'  rate for those who started before the major edition shifts.    For 7th to 8th it was roughly 25% of the GT level players in the Northeast US.  But if you've gone through a number of previous major edition changes and stuck with it you tend to view the edition changes as less important then the fact the game remains fun even if the rules aren't the same as when you first started.   

8th had a huge drop off of 7th ed starters, and AoS of course had another big drop off.  The folks starting in 7th/8th didn't survive those two drop offs.

But it's also the case based on my impressions that the new starts in 8th and to a lesser extent 7th were down compared to previous editions.

That's the argument for one side.  The argument for the other side is that WFB was poorly supported, poorly marketed - it was dying.  It wasn't attracting any new players, and hence they blowed it up, real good.

Who knows which it is?  It is probably both, to some degree or another.

ETA: I see that you even acknowledged that other side in your post - so jolly good then!

Given normal attrition rates - (people just tend to drop out of hobbies over time particularly those easier to manage for young single folks with lots of free time and pocket money)  I think we should have a lot less 3rd ed folks around then we do - 3rd  and 4th ed weren't any where near as popular as the golden years of WFB sales in 5th-early 7th IMO.   So it's not just new start rates - which is why I put it as a secondary concern.

Tertiary theory - we are surveying folks on a forum which selects for forum users.  Old guys  are used to talking about Warhammer in forums and news groups so we tend to gravitate to places like this.  Younger folks might be using Twitter and FB and even younger people Discord and Whats App etc.    Our AoS 2.0 numbers might be low for that reason.   

5th edition, but still never played a game as I’m only in it for modeling.  Do have to say I got bored of fantasy up until the End Times which for me is still my favourite and proudly own all the books, was a refreshing time, brilliant books, art and narrative. So, I’ve been collecting since 5th but havent been as invested as I am in fantasy until End Times and AoS came out*.

*Bit of a lie, Tamurkhan got me into Chaos and never let go, wish FW did more of them.

Well There has been a time when I still lived in London, and was probaly the usual teenager, who played games like star war the force unleashed and other stuff on the computer.

In school many of my friends and classmates usually played a game of 40k or lord of the rings, in the breaks, which really fascinated me a lot.

a certain person noticed it back then, and well asked me if I’d like to join him and help him to win for the emperor.

of course I took the offer and well had my first game of 40k in Kingston.

I think he believed back than that I may become a great Allie in his conquest for the emperor but soon had to learn that his vision and hopes betrayed him after I started with fantasy 8th edition and the skaven race.

Two years ago in Spain. In special warhammer 40k with chaos space marine (iron and khorne) (but mi favourate armys are Drukhari and astra militarum). I only choose chaos space marine because i had a little army since 12 years ago.

After this, age of sigmar 1.0 and 2.0 with skavens and legions of nagash (legion of sacrament, blood and night). I only like traditional fantasy armyes with a huge hordes of weak soldiers (clanrats/zombies or skeletons) with a few powerful generals and army machines or monsters.

For this, my real favourite army of age of sigmar is free people. I love his miniatures, but i think that games-workshop would end up the traditional humans.

Archived