How Long Have You Been in the Hobby?

Sleboda

When Did You Get In?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Warhammer was your first?

• Warhammer Fantasy Battle 1st edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 4th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 5th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 6th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 7th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 8th edition
    • End Times
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 1.0
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 2.0 (at or near launch)
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 2.0 (within the last few months)

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

Oh come on! I can’t be the only 2nd here? I’d have thought lots more. God I can feel the chill wind of death blowing across my neck as I even contemplate how old that makes me...

I came in at the tail end of 2nd as a curiosity with the Ravening Hordes book, but it never took me in.  Then I actually bought 3rd ed specifically to wargame with. To me, that makes it 3rd for me, even though I had a vague awareness of the previous version. 

To answer the question about first game, it was Blood Bowl (as far as GW goes anyway) - the version with the styrofoam pitch.  I bought that the same day as 3rd ed (GenCon 88 I think), but I played BB before 3rd. Note that I actually played other GW games first, but they were not wargames.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Note that I actually played other GW games first, but they were not wargames.

I still have the 1st edition Talisman, Fury of Dracula, Chaos Marauders, Chainsaw Warrior, and Warlock of Firetop Mountain board games. Rogue Trooper and Block Mania disappeared years ago.

Almost got sucked in back in the early 90s but it looked like a lot of hassle to build up an army. Finally made the jump in AoS 1.0.

Dedicated Stormcast player and I love all these new announcements and releases although they are not for me. Pretty cool to see that the game seems to be in a great state now.

Never was interested in fantasy. The square bases didn't grab me, nor did the clumped, regimental style of WHFB. Ended up painting a bit of Assault on Blackreach and then quitting due to the old GW stigma.

Was interested in Age of Sigmar when it came out seeing as I hated fantasy. No more square bases, 40k style movement... OK, i'm in. Ended up not jumping in because of the silly rules/ lack of anything points related. Jump forward to after generals handbook, AoS 2.0 on the horizon. Decided wth, and bought a box of Chaos Knights, and haven't looked back since lol.

6th Ed best Ed!! 

I started in 2000 with Empire (I think not long after their new army book came out at the time?). Some of my uncles and cousins were already long time players and got me into the hobby. Stuck with Empire through the end of 7th and stopped playing for a while due to school and work when 8th came out. Never made the move to AoS at the switch because I loved old WHFB so much and it wasn't the same. 

My old gaming buddy/long-time nemesis finally coaxed me back in by buying Soul Wars and convincing me to pick up Stormcast. After being deadset against AoS at first I found the new fluff and 2.0 rules are great, the game is a blast, and it is good to have a solid GW game back in my rotation. Churning out a Hammers of Sigmar force now (what can I say, I'm basic!). 

18 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

5th edition was when they made Lizardman and Bretonnians and debuted those factions in the starter box.

Cheers! That'll be the answer for me then although there was a long way period of time without any gaming and a long period of time with only 40k until aos launched so I missed editions 7 and 8 entirely

My first edition of Warhammer Fantasy was 8th Edition.  But!  My first proper wargaming hobby experience was in 5th Edition 40K.  I don't know if WHFB was in 8th by then or not, as I played 40K for a couple years before ever picking up any Fantasy models or the rulebook.  I did pick up the Age of Sigmar starter set when it originally dropped, but did not play much at the time for various reasons, including working on my 40K armies.

I started wargaming in Christmas season of 2010 with my brother when we split an Assault on Black Reach starter set, and I have not stopped yet.  Wargmaing is my thing now, and I enjoy all aspects of the hobby and can be evangelistic about it to anyone.  Other people have asked "how can you afford all the models?" to which I respond that I do not play video games, buy new fancy electronics, nor do I take big vacations or splurge on alcohol.  Miniature wargaming is my life.

After the family, of course.  I have to keep them fed and clothed so they can make proper wargaming opponents ;)

Now here I am, 8+ years, 9+ armies, 5+ game systems across more than 7 edition changes, and I'm more excited for Age of Sigmar than any other game right now.

I got into this whole jam in the same way many did: SPACE MARINES!  It was when Rogue Trader was out for a couple years when I got into it (1989-90), Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine boxed sets were out. I picked up the set of plastic beaky marines and several White Dwarf magazines. That gave me some exposure to WHFB and WHFRP. I was a D&D player at the time so this material made sense. Warhammer had a weird, cool, edgy thing going for it that D&D didn't so I was hooked (not at the expense of D&D or other games).  It was rich and 'real'. I've been in and out of Warhammer ever since. 

Its funny to imagine going back in time, talking to my 15 year old self... "Warhammer is now all about what happens untold ages AFTER the setting of WHFB!  40K? Your going to love whats going on 10,000 years BEFORE the Warhammer 40k universe that you are just now getting into. By the way, keep your copies of Slaves to Darkness and Lost and the Damned in really good shape*."

*I didn't

6th edition fantasy as a teenager with Vampire Counts and then later Beastmen. I quit for 7th and restarted around the beginning of 8th when I was an undergraduate coming back in around half way between the launch of 8th and the release of the OandG book. I played a fimir themed ogre kingdoms army during most of 8th with detours into tomb kings and back to vampires. I quit when AoS came out to play Malifaux for awhile but got back into AoS when the sylvaneth book came out.

I started collecting during 5th edition, with the Zombie Dragon being my first miniature at age...8? I didn't get into playing until some time later in the 6th edition. Since then I've bounced a bit back and forth between Fantasy and 40k, with miniature gaming coming and going a bit like seasons in my group of friends.

8th for me, and 7th edition 40k. Although I only understood the basics of how to play since I was younger and only played a few times, was mostly just in it for hobby reasons since I loved model painting and similar activities. I remember going into a GW store for the first time when I was 11 or 12 and thinking how cool everything was lol, I was hooked ever since.

Despite my name, my first models and army (never ended up being that large of an army lol) were chaos daemons because I thought they looked strange and fun to paint. Skaven I started reading about and buying around AoS' launch and they're easily my favorite faction in all of Warhammer now, and my largest collection. AoS 1.0 and 8e 40k are when I really started getting into the game itself. I originally liked 40k better as a game, but AoS 2.0 changed that and I play it far more than 40k now. 😝

Been here for a little while started painting seraphon around the time aos came out but never actually learned to play until right before 2.0 dropped. To be fair no one in my region played 1.0 at all. I also subscribe to loving everything.

6 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

By the way, keep your copies of Slaves to Darkness and Lost and the Damned in really good shape*."

*I didn't

Man, my original copy of lost and the damned was left IN THE RAIN by my own mother, waiting for me to pick it up.  I’ve bought another one since at great cost!

I got into the hobby at the tail end of 3rd edition, loved the setting and lore but strangely didn’t like the rank and flank style (just seemed daft to me that 10 chaotic gribbly monsters would line up like that) so stuck with heroquest and some weird hybrid of that and WHFB with the RoC book. I didn’t really have the money for the actual armies for battle games but loved all the boxed games like heroquest, blood bowl, Necromunda and in particular Warhammer Quest. Did the drift away thing for nearly 20 years (!), and it was finding my old copy of Warhammer Quest and trying to amass the full monster lists for that to play with my kids that made me cobble together an army for a game of AoS against a pal. I absolutely loved the game from the first time I played it, and am now completely skint having raised more armies than I can actually play with... good times.

Started painting in the early 1990s. Bought 3rd edition, but never really played beyond some test plays (lack of opponents). Jumped on board the AoS train just before Soul Wars came out. After years of Magic, rpgs, and boardgames I wanted to finally try miniature wargaming. AoS made it easy to start and we have a decently sized local group.

Archived