How Long Have You Been in the Hobby?

Sleboda

When Did You Get In?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Warhammer was your first?

• Warhammer Fantasy Battle 1st edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 4th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 5th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 6th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 7th edition
    • Warhammer Fantasy Battle 8th edition
    • End Times
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 1.0
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 2.0 (at or near launch)
    • Age of Sigmar (AoS) 2.0 (within the last few months)

In another thread there were various opinions about the reveals at a recent event. It made me curious about any possible connection between how long players have been in the hobby and what their opinions were.  Someone else suggested it might be interesting to see data on that. I agreed.

Here's a poll. :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun topic, but there's one thing true for me and probably many others that the poll doesn't account for: returning gamers. I started as a teen around the end of 6th/beginning of 7th, (Ogres) then was absent for years.

I then re-entered 8th in my Uni holidays. It started out as nostalgia and became something more, but luckily I didn't commit too much: 2 months after I returned to the hobby AoS dropped :P

Also, out of curiosity, what was everyone's FIRST game? My gateway was LOtR, then started getting interested in fantasy (40k has never appealed). 

In Warhammer I started when 6th came out but I had been playing 40k since just after the release of 2nd edition. 3 hours queuing to spend the money I got from selling my SNES to buy the 40k box, Dark Millenium and a codex book deal (Orks) from the coupons they had in White Dwarf at the time and I picked up an Ork Dreadnaught too :)

My actual first game I suppose was going round to a friends house to help him cut out paper templates for his skaven and then he faced off against a combined force of Dwarves and Chaos. Not that I had any clue about what was going on with any of it. I ended up getting into 40k first because that's what my brother wanted to play.

I dabbled in 4th with a few minis, but we played epic mostly. I picked up the 5th ed box but didn't actually play until 7th, where I found I didn't actually like the game... 😅

Started again in AoS, and love it!

Edit; my gateway game was Heroquest. 😁

2 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Oh come on! I can’t be the only 2nd here? I’d have thought lots more. God I can feel the chill wind of death blowing across my neck as I even contemplate how old that makes me...

Haha I'd be there with you if I hadn't grown up in such a remote region.  I was literally not living within 300 miles of a store carrying WH models until I was in my 20s.  I could juuuuuust barely get my hands on a couple D&D books in my teens.

I bougth some phantasy boxes around 1995 when i had as 10 years old.but never played,was only a kit to build and paint as tamiyas cars and so.

Then i quit the hobby(building kits) around 2000 untill 5 years ago that i started to play to 40k that i allways hated due to my store play only 40k.

As 3-4 years i started to play aos1 so i guess i chosen aos1 as i really didnt played any game in 1995( even i havent idea what edition was that year)

I have marked 3rd but I came in at the end of this and like amysrevenge living in a small town in New Zealand there were no gw stores in the whole country. So I have the 3rd rulebook and army book, the catalogues and White dwarfs from the period. But 4th was what I actually ended up playing.

44 minutes ago, Klamm said:

Also, out of curiosity, what was everyone's FIRST game? My gateway was LOtR, then started getting interested in fantasy (40k has never appealed). 

It's really hard for me to remember what game was actually the first.  I think the first game that hooked me hard was Battletech 2nd edition - played on fold-out paper hex maps and with the 3025 technical readout book & City Tech box set.  A couple of years later I started messing around with both Rogue Trader and also got a copy of HeroQuest and started playing the snot out of that.  I did not get into WFB until 4th edition and that was a couple of years after I had already been playing 40k.

Pen & Paper RPGs are a different story and I played a whole slew of them during that period - most of which I expect are out of print nowadays.

I've ticked 7th edition, since that was when I first bought a WFB mini, but that gives a slightly inaccurate picture, since I've been "in the hobby" for many, many years before that.

I started with 40K 3rd edition, because that was what my friends played, and built up a small Ork army. However I really got hooked around 2002 when Battle Games in Middle Earth came out. I collected every issue of that magazine and built up a large Lord of the Rings collection.

I liked Warhammer Fantasy back then, but I couldn't afford to invest in another game system, since my friends only really wanted to play 40K. I loved the LotR models, but wasn't actually getting to play that game as much as I wanted, let alone start fantasy.

So I didn't actually get into fantasy until around 2010, when I needed some Lizardmen for D&D, and a box of Saurus quickly became an army...

I now have quite a lot of the older metal models, since I've "gone back" and tracked down many of the models which I eyed longingly, but was never able to get "back in the day". So my collection looks as though its a lot older than it actually is.

Started with 4th edition (I believe it was the 1st one to be translated into spanish) collecting undead But didn't became really active until 6th, peaking at 7th. Then I was inactive for several years (although I got 8th ed rulebook and VC army book) and returned for AoS1, and I've been quite active since .

I currently play Legion of Blood and Stormcast Eternals (Astral Templars).

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

I collected and played Bretonnians as a teenager back in 3rd edition, but I took a very long break once I got to college. I started up again with some Seraphon in Feb 2016.

Bretonnians were around in 3rd edition?  I thought they did not get miniatures or any rules until the 5th edition box set released?

Started with 1st edition and then stopped just after a little after 2nd edition was released. Returned years later during 7th edition and have stayed with it since.

I thought my Bloodthirster and Keeper of Secrets models back then were amazing. By today's standards,they are the same size as a Bullgor.

I also remember trying to keep track of what "flight level" certain models were currently at.

I entered with the 1st Edition and still remember the pamphlet with the Empire soldier pummelling the skel on the cover. Jeez, how things have changed...

Lead bases with lead minis half the size of the current minis and often not a regular size (I mean, a dwarf the size of skel? Or a gobbo the size of an Orc?).

But there was passion, innovation and love. And mystique. Magic too. Some of that has been lost in the machinery of GW. Citadel used to be a crucible of mystery. Now it’s a commercial venture.

3 editions of Warhammer went by and I left the hobby in the early 90s.

Picked it up again many years later (and following the end of the world) after my youngest son pressed his nose against a GW shop in Sheffield and said of an AoS display: “Hey,  they look so cool.”

And I answered with: “You know, I’ve got a box of that stuff in the attic...”

That was 18 months and £600 ago ... 

4 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

Picked it up again many years later (and following the end of the world) after my youngest son pressed his nose against a GW shop in Sheffield and said of an AoS display: “Hey,  they look so cool.”

And I answered with: “You know, I’ve got a box of that stuff in the attic...”

That was 18 months and £600 ago ... 

About a week ago I stopped into a local game store (non GW) close to my house on the way home from picking my youngest daughter up from daycare (she is 3).  I had special ordered some of the Gloomspite stuff in and had just got the time to go pick it up.  This was her first time in a game store and she was wandering around picking up every box (from any game) and showing it to me and asking me to buy it.  I was pretty excited when she grabbed the Battletech box set and said "Daddy, I think I need this one because I want robots".  That's quite a proud father moment right there! 

But, I told her that I already have that at home and we came to get something else.  I said I would let her carry the boxes if she would just put back these other things.  She got excited right up until I handed her the box for the new Mangler Squig.  She made a weird face and told me in a very serious tone "Daddy, I don't want this - it's not awesome".  And just like that she managed to shatter the previous proud father moment and made me question whether I can continue to raise her.  Any kid that does not like goblins cannot be a child of mine...

Glad to say that she has since come to her senses (before I was forced to put her up for adoption) and now is really excited about the "big bouncy monsters".

Just now, Skabnoze said:

About a week ago I stopped into a local game store (non GW) close to my house on the way home from picking my youngest daughter up from daycare (she is 3).  I had special ordered some of the Gloomspite stuff in and had just got the time to go pick it up.  This was her first time in a game store and she was wandering around picking up every box (from any game) and showing it to me and asking me to buy it.  I was pretty excited when she grabbed the Battletech box set and said "Daddy, I think I need this one because I want robots".  That's quite a proud father moment right there! 

But, I told her that I already have that at home and we came to get something else.  I said I would let her carry the boxes if she would just put back these other things.  She got excited right up until I handed her the box for the new Mangler Squig.  She made a weird face and told me in a very serious tone "Daddy, I don't want this - it's not awesome".  And just like that she managed to shatter the previous proud father moment and made me question whether I can continue to raise her.  Any kid that does not like goblins cannot be a child of mine...

Glad to say that she has since come to her senses (before I was forced to put her up for adoption) and now is really excited about the "big bouncy monsters".

Love it. It’s great when your kids validate your interest in Warhammer! 😂

Archived