Las Vegas Open and Forbidden Power Revealed

Kaleb Daark

7 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Balthus stood on the crest of hill and looked down on to what was left of Vanarheim. The settlement had been founded just a few years earlier but had already become home to some 3000 souls. Had, he grimly reminded himself, for the town was now little more than a charred ruin, sparks of dark, arcane energy flickering between the smoking buildings below.

Reaching out with his senses he could detect no trace of Vanarheim's inhabitants but as he opened his mind to the devastation wrought on the town  the Lord Arcanum recoiled in horror, it was like nothing Balthus had felt before, primordial, chthonic. Vast protean shapes crowded his mind, blotting out the stars, the suns, all existence.

A gold plated hand rested on his shoulder and a voice that echoed inside his head and boomed like the din of thunder pulled him back to reality. "My Lord," the Lord Arcanum gasped, looking up at the figure of his god. "What happened here? This was not the work of any force I've faced before."

Sigmar's brow furrowed. "Walk with me Balthus," the god king intoned. "Long before the coming of the Everchosen, before I had conceived of your kind, when I first trod these realms they were a place of raw primal magic. We tamed them, eventually, you will have heard the stories of how the god beasts were brought to heel and the lands made fit for mortals, but there are some things we never spoke of, somethings that even a god cannot kill."

"You do not speak of the dark gods though?" Balthus replied. "This, this felt different."

"No," Sigmar sighed. "Terrible as they are the 4 are but a dark mirror of us, a mockery and a perversion of ourselves but this is something beyond that. There are more things in the mortal realms, Balthus, than written in your books. Forces too powerful to be controlled, just maybe contained. It took all we had, sacrifices uncounted and unremembered but at the end Grungi and I forged a prison of living lightning, the Storm Vaults, the greatest of our deeds and the most terrible" 

"Locked away forever, or so we thought, buried between the cracks in reality so that mortal life may have a chance." Balthus looked up at the face of his god, he was the storm made incarnate, the light in the heavens that led the way but for a moment that light seem diminished, the weight of ages finally taking its toll. 

"And this is their work?" Balthus asked, pointing to the devastated township.

"What you felt down there is but an echo, a trace of what they were," the god-king replied. "With everything else we face I had hoped this day might never come but it would appear my brother's foolish actions have somehow opened a crack they can reach through, a channel through which to empower incautious minds with forbidden powers. Mark my words Balthus, what happened here is just the beginning, the start of what could be the ruination of us all."

------------------------------------

🤔

This is from which novel?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Balthus stood on the crest of hill and looked down on to what was left of Vanarheim. The settlement had been founded just a few years earlier but had already become home to some 3000 souls. Had, he grimly reminded himself, for the town was now little more than a charred ruin, sparks of dark, arcane energy flickering between the smoking buildings below.

Reaching out with his senses he could detect no trace of Vanarheim's inhabitants but as he opened his mind to the devastation wrought on the town  the Lord Arcanum recoiled in horror, it was like nothing Balthus had felt before, primordial, chthonic. Vast protean shapes crowded his mind, blotting out the stars, the suns, all existence.

A gold plated hand rested on his shoulder and a voice that echoed inside his head and boomed like the din of thunder pulled him back to reality. "My Lord," the Lord Arcanum gasped, looking up at the figure of his god. "What happened here? This was not the work of any force I've faced before."

Sigmar's brow furrowed. "Walk with me Balthus," the god king intoned. "Long before the coming of the Everchosen, before I had conceived of your kind, when I first trod these realms they were a place of raw primal magic. We tamed them, eventually, you will have heard the stories of how the god beasts were brought to heel and the lands made fit for mortals, but there are some things we never spoke of, somethings that even a god cannot kill."

"You do not speak of the dark gods though?" Balthus replied. "This, this felt different."

"No," Sigmar sighed. "Terrible as they are the 4 are but a dark mirror of us, a mockery and a perversion of ourselves but this is something beyond that. There are more things in the mortal realms, Balthus, than written in your books. Forces too powerful to be controlled, just maybe contained. It took all we had, sacrifices uncounted and unremembered but at the end Grungi and I forged a prison of living lightning, the Storm Vaults, the greatest of our deeds and the most terrible" 

"Locked away forever, or so we thought, buried between the cracks in reality so that mortal life may have a chance," Sigmar stared impassively at the ruins. Balthus looked up at the face of his god, he was the storm made incarnate, the light in the heavens that led the way but for a moment that light seem diminished, the weight of ages finally taking its toll. 

"And this is their work?" Balthus asked, pointing to the devastated township.

"What you felt down there is but an echo, a trace of what they were," the god-king replied. "With everything else we face I had hoped this day might never come but it would appear my brother's foolish actions have somehow opened a crack they can reach through, a channel through which to empower incautious minds with forbidden powers. Mark my words Balthus, what happened here is just the beginning, the start of what could be the ruination of us all."

------------------------------------

🤔

Dang.... what book is this from?!

I have builded many stormcast and that marks are 100% stormcast,the golden twin tail of comets in stormcast is in the upper pic,and lower at the pic is the iconic decoration of stormcast in helmet and necks.

But i really hope not be more stormcast and be something new.

If i have to see some new in that pic could be real elfs of teclis due to the center of the pic having the crescent moon of teclis

Ah what a Perfect year.

We finally got a skaven release that even makes the horned rat prode, even if lacking in model updates (a bit disappointing), Flesh water court sfinally got an update and Khorne will soon follow.

I mean what could possibly make this year better?

(no stormcast updates for a year)

jokes aside (I’m very sorry for those, who feel attacked) .

I think Gw has chose. A perfect direction, only thing left to do is wait and join the skaven hype 

7 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

So the next story arc has been revealed at the Las Vegas Open :)

We see the first teaser trailer for forbidden power.

What do we think this is? - Slaanesh breaking free?, or maybe the upturned crescent has a hint of Elven about it, is Malerion making his move?

Or is that half a chaos star underneath and Archaon now stirs in the Varanspire at Eight points - the new setting for the WARCRY game?

I'm stoked at the new Skulltaker, Blades of Khorne goodies and the new grand alliance books too :)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/08/8th-feb-lvo-studio-preview-2019-revealed-new-chaos-space-marines-sisters-of-battle-and-moregw-homepage-post-1/?utm_source=GamesWorkshop.com&utm_campaign=9b8e7782cb-GW_8th_February_LVO_ENG&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c6e14e39d2-9b8e7782cb-114276865

What are they saying in the Warcry video?

Also teasers that don't tease anything but the title really suck eggs.

ETA: I sound too negative. I really enjoy everything else that was spoiled, but these two have me yawning.

1 minute ago, Mikester1487 said:

I thought those new endless spells looked nice enough. I guess some people can never be happy. 

I’m pretty happy with the designs. Just feel it should be kept unique to a few factions, just like faction scenery. But that’s personal opinion as well

1 minute ago, Throt the Unclean said:

hahaha That is so ridiculous I can't believe you sincerely mean it. If my dissatisfaction is hurting other people's enjoyment then there is something wrong with them. Who cares what other's think? You can't be that sensitive and intolerant of hearing differing opinions? I mean, children aren't even that bad. 

Haha that’s how I feel reading your posts as well. But to be clear since you are, I think intentionally, missing my point. I don’t care about your opinion, like you said, I do care about every third post being the same complaints, when I’m here for the excitement not the bitterness because someone didn’t get the toys they decided they were entitled  to. Talking about childish behaviour indeed. 

Here's hoping idoneth gets some endless spells and some new ocean gribblies to play around with eventually, but they're not stormcasts so it's probably not going to happen 😉

I'm looking forward to all these updates, and I'm quite excited to see what they do with the new GA tomes and all the other awesome ideas we're getting. I am a worried about more khorne stuff though... mostly because there are so many people at my local GW who have khorne. The sheer amount of bloodcrushers my poor eels are going to fight is going to be even more of an uphill struggle it seems, but I welcome the fight!

By the way, I really hope there is a mordeheim like city of AOS outside of shadespire. Really miss the games my local GW played on wednesday nights...

Well, although I don't play FEC, I think the new endless spell is not so disappointing as you say. Some of my friend playing FEC actually likes it....

I think the problem is that you think everyone should think in your way... 

Expressing different opinion is fine, but you can use an more elegant way that won't make people feel so bad....

1 hour ago, Throt the Unclean said:

So before the terrible, lazy, reused sculpts and ideas that are  FEC and Skaven's endless spells, terrain pieces, and dice are even available for preorder, they announce Khorne is getting (1)  some of the best, most original looking endless spells, (2) a new book with an actual named hero on it, instead of a generic albino "greyless" seer, (3) their models reworked and (4) new models on top of that.

Wow. I'm honestly stunned. It's like adding insult to injury. lol FEC couldn't have used some new units? Skaven couldn't have used some reworked models? 

You're... Joking right? The giant floating rune is literally just a bigger version of the bloodwarrior banner. The axe is from the objective kit. The only remotely original looking one is the floating skull, but it's a skull with a khorne rune on it. There are probably dozens of them in various kits across the faction. Literally all of the faction specific endless spells have pulled existing assets. That's what they are, and it's great because they're supposed to be faction specific and reusing assets is a good way to tie them to their faction. 

I love the khorne set and I'll definitely pick it up, but please don't pretend it's all original.

well on the Brightside it looks like every BT release has a hero release that comes with it so far (even though Skulltaker is a rework). though I have a feeling that some army releases may get more then other during these battle tome releases ( kind of like how in 40k, Ork, IK, and GSC got the bigger releases of last year)

4 minutes ago, Throt the Unclean said:

It wouldn't be nice for the people who have to go out of their way to ensure they don't offend the abnormal sensitivities of others. That's not reasonable. It's not decent, it's absurd. It is ridiculous. I'm striving to help GW be the best that it can be and point out their shortcomings. ;)

You're incorrect. 

It would be nice. Being considerate is never a bad thing. Decency is a result of going out of your way. You're doing none of these, which is fine, but that shovel is still a shovel. 

You don't "have" to do anything, but that doesn't mean people then have to ignore overtly negative behaviour. This isn't your soap stand. 

If you want to help gw be the best they can be, then take that up with them 😛 this is not gw, this is tga. Gw have their own channels for feedback. 

This thread is really spinning in circles, and devolving rather fast.

My two cents,

Overall I enjoyed the show. Khorne did need some cleaning up even if other factions need a tome, and i'm happy for all those guys getting a new battletome. The acknowledgment of tons of tomes coming does help soften that blow though! The endless spells not being spells for Khorne also sets a precedent for non-magic using armies. Hope to see that extend to BCR and Gutbusters, with hopefully a new kit or two.

Warcry will be great given the teams history. Been hungering for a kill team variant to justify picking up bits and pieces of factions I like. Having it set in the Allpoints is perfect. Hopefully will give us a bit more lore into Archeons seat of power. It being the new chaos wastes is a neat spin.

Cons. Really wish they gave a biiiit more of a tease for Forbidden Power. As far as cryptic things go, that's pretty up there. All it really confirms is the story is continuing, which we knew.

Edit: Forbidden Power, not forgotten

This thread feeds Khorne's power. If you guys aren't careful they'll get a fourth battletome. 

Spoiler

Edit: it's not actually that bad, especially for a forum, but I'm we can all be more accommodating of each other's sentiments. Peace, y'all, embrace Slaanesh and take pleasure in difference!

Let's ignore all those behavior or speech style stuff. This year definitely a big year for AOS releases. We get a big grots release in January, a medium release for FEC/skaven in Feburary. Will it be possible that there will be some new released every month? 

According to the community article, there will be at least order battletomb to be released, at least a new army to be released. From the trailer, I really think it is related to the new SCE chambers... The edge pattern of that big symbol has already shown up in SCE already.

By the way, do you guys think there will be a release for Slave to Darkness? One of my friend playing Slave to Darkness get pretty upset when he knew Khorne will be the next updated chaos fraction.

3 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

What are they saying in the Warcry video?

Also teasers that don't tease anything but the title really suck eggs.

ETA: I sound too negative. I really enjoy everything else that was spoiled, but these two have me yawning.

I was just alluding to the fact that warcry talks about archaons stronghold at allpoints and i wonder if the new story arc revolves around that?

much in the same way that blackstone fortress, and all the recent 40k boxes have revolved around vigilus and its story arc.

1 hour ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

By the way, do you guys think there will be a release for Slave to Darkness? One of my friend playing Slave to Darkness get pretty upset when he knew Khorne will be the next updated chaos fraction.

I would bet on it! 

The curveball is that GW has been throwing some wild shots (beasts of chaos, new khorne) lately that makes it very difficult to determine the order of things. 

The pattern does dictate that the various general's handbook factions (which includes slaves to darkness) should be expecting battletomes promptly. Might see Slaves to darkness morphed into Darkoath though :)

Archived