Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

However I have trust that IF they intend Warcry to be the AOS skirmish game GW must know that staying in chaos territory won’t last long. And how could it? When they are at the same time doing huge effort to create stormcast players out of every boy and girl old  who is old enough to put an easy to build kit together. I find it hard to believe that No one working on this cannot not see this. After all I believe the product came as a response to those of us who were begging for a serious skirmish game.

But I do belive that Warcry will be the pilot takin us to the all points for while and asuming it has some sort of succes, the game can expand to anywhere thus opening up to more factions.

Of course there is also the possibility that GW intend Warcry to be nothing more than Gorechosen. A entertaining one off game that is great fun for a small period of time and then fades out.

20 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

To be Devil's advocate, the majority of the first season is no longer available as teams.  You can get the models as easy-build kits but not the cards.  So for anyone buying into the game now there are not really 18 warbands.  I am curious to see how well the strategy for retiring factions works out in the long term.

What are you talking about? I just checked the UK and US GW store and all the warbands are still available. 

• Like 1

I'm going to reserve judgement till I see the whole package and see how the rules work.  

On the surface, I have no issue with a proper AOS skirmish game, especially one that caters to both narrative and competitive players (if that's ever really possible). 
However, I think GW needs to stop spreading itself thin and focus on core product lines. That means not have 3 different version of Skirmish. 
Currency there's "skirmish" that is version 2 and available in a White Dwarf,  Path to Glory, printed in every Battletome. Both "Skirmish" and "Path to Glory" also have stand alone ebooks available on the webstore. 
And now we have Warcry which appears to be billing itself as the new Skirmish. 

Hopefully, Warcry will combine skirmish and path to glory and consolidate the skirmish level gameplay into one system. That would be nice. 
Hopefully, like Killteam it will use AOS rules with some slight tweaks, have things like skills, experience, campaign modes and serve as a good entry level product. 

The Chaos only side of it seems like a very strange design choice. The flexibility of Killteam, Blackstone Fortress and the variety of Underworlds is what makes those products popular. I hope it expands out from a Chaos only starter. 

Now for whats in the box. 
It looks like a huge box. That's a bit of a problem if it's supposed to be an entry level product. Underworlds is great because you get lots of cards/tokens all the game mats and 2 warbands for $60USD ($95AUD). 
That's a good price point. It's cheap enough to pull random people in and competes with other board games too.  
The kill team starter was popular too although much more expensive, but you really did get a lot of top notch terrain in there.
The terrain in the video looks a bit dull to me. There's some existing azarite ruins, a new bell tower,  some wooden planks and hanging skeletons. 
None of that is really knocking my socks off. 
The miniatures as well... I'm just not a fan. There's maybe 2 I like from all the ones shown in the video. The harpies are cool too, it's about time they got an update. 
But other than that, it's all the same muscly guys with dopey helmets carrying silly over-sized weapons in really strange unnatural poses. Seems like some of the regular sculptors are on vacation or something? 

Again, I'll reserve judgement till I see more but I don't think I'll be rushing out to pre-order this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

To be Devil's advocate, the majority of the first season is no longer available as teams.  You can get the models as easy-build kits but not the cards.  So for anyone buying into the game now there are not really 18 warbands.  I am curious to see how well the strategy for retiring factions works out in the long term.

The easy build kits were releases as well as the warbands, not as a replacement. 

3 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Well if the while point with warcry is that you control a bunch of would be warriors thats going through hell to become Archaons BFF, wouldn’t that mean that they lore wise are too weak to join a chaos army yet?

Not necessarily, Archaeon's army is made up of multiple chaos warbands of various sizes joined together to form armies for the most part. It could be that the leaders of each of the warbands in Warcry have followed their paths to glory to the Varanspire to joint the ranks of the Varanguard which if you've read Scourge of Fate (not a rule book so the lore might not be completely accurate but the author has to get his info from somewhere right) means they would need to do certain tasks to prove themselves worthy and would mean they aren't weak at all. Which I think would make sense for this kind of game.

Edited by Dirtnaps

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

What are you talking about? I just checked the UK and US GW store and all the warbands are still available. 

Fair enough. I was able to find some via search but not through the normal filters. It must be a website thing.  Weird given that they reportedly paid a fair bit for this website...

Apparently I took some crazy pills or something.

Edited by Skabnoze

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

This is fair.

However, I have been playing miniature games since the late 80s.  I still own just about every game I have purchased over that time.  I have a dumb amount of games in my garage, closet, and office that will likely never get played again.  Games like this require multiple players.  Plenty of dead games have fantastic rules.  Great rules is not the primary key to success for a game in my experience.  It sucks to have games that you really like but that are overly difficult to find people to play with.

This is a very good point. I have a bunch of games (mostly just rulebooks for game systems) that never see use because even though the games are really well made, the people I play with just aren't interested.  Regardless of how well put together the rules are, if no one wants to try it, you are out of luck. 

I have several friends I know who would or are interested in this, but I could see trepidation for those who are uncertain if they will be able to find pick up games or leagues at local stores.

• Like 1

The fact that it’s being called “skirmish in the mortal realms” gives me some hope that it will eventually be not just chaos. The fact that it seems to have completely unique chaos sub-factions takes a lot of that hope away. I’m willing to give it a shot but at least two people in my gaming group have absolutely no interest in Chaos so what do I tell them to get them interested?

I think GW May overestimate how many people want to play chaos. 

16 minutes ago, FlatTooth said:

The fact that it’s being called “skirmish in the mortal realms” gives me some hope that it will eventually be not just chaos. The fact that it seems to have completely unique chaos sub-factions takes a lot of that hope away. I’m willing to give it a shot but at least two people in my gaming group have absolutely no interest in Chaos so what do I tell them to get them interested?

I think GW May overestimate how many people want to play chaos. 

I highly doubt they will have put however many thousands of pounds into developing a game, designing models, making the moulds etc without having some idea as to how many people buy Chaos models. 

On the Facebook page they have said that there's much more to come when people complain about the Chaos Only problem. I'm sure we will see many races. But I do think this will keep the line of Necromunda, with non typical warbands like Stormcasts but more unique ones.

34 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

@Thomas Lyons
has an interesting theory that this box is only chaos but their there is a good chance there will be boxes for all the grand alliances. Grain of salt, tin foil hat...

https://twitter.com/WHWeeklyTom/status/1105824894686769156?s=09

Think that’s just the ‘Warcry’ symbol, like the Kill Team one that’s on all the Kill Team stuff. 

B5D28BCF-2207-4AD1-A081-6F41F2F6FBDC.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

On the Facebook page they have said that there's much more to come when people complain about the Chaos Only problem. I'm sure we will see many races. But I do think this will keep the line of Necromunda, with non typical warbands like Stormcasts but more unique ones.

I hope so .. I'm trying to get me and my buddy back into gaming- he's married with 2 very young kids, we are hoping to start Shadespire and I was hoping Warcry would be another option but I have absolutely zero interest chaos.  The terrain looks great and I'm sure chaos players are loving those models- looking forward to them revealing their plans for it.

I'm not sure what the problem is with it being chaos only. I applaud them for it and hope they can really flesh out an alliance that should be as varied as order. 

If there is an expansion after the six warbands have been released I hope it's more chaos. 

It's  similar to necromunda,  I don't here people asking for a big xenos or chaos expansion in that. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Still-young said:

I highly doubt they will have put however many thousands of pounds into developing a game, designing models, making the moulds etc without having some idea as to how many people buy Chaos models. 

Sure but those people buy chaos models that can be used to play against friends who don’t *need* to buy chaos models. If a fair chunk of my gaming group doesn’t want to buy into this game then even the people who buy chaos models will probably not buy in. That’s what I mean. I very much hope to be proven wrong.  It seems like there are maybe 6 factions. Maybe they’ve designed some non-traditional chaos stuff to pull people in.  

46 minutes ago, CDM said:

I'm not sure what the problem is with it being chaos only. I applaud them for it and hope they can really flesh out an alliance that should be as varied as order. 

If there is an expansion after the six warbands have been released I hope it's more chaos. 

It's  similar to necromunda,  I don't here people asking for a big xenos or chaos expansion in that. 

It's great for chaos collectors and I always enjoy seeing factions fleshed out and depth added. But I hate chaos- I have no interest in it so won't buy this . Necromunda has similar problems for me- I'm not into human factions at all, the stylings of the gangs does mitigate that a bit - I've had a soft spot for Escher for ages- but I haven't bought in. A game is more interesting to me if it allows me to add to the factions I love, not just those of the chaos players [who I don't begrudge btw].  Being all chaos just limits its appeal. 

I have to say that my biggest problem playing AOS is finding the time to play and that is why I like skirmish. If this gives me the chance to play more games, buy some awesome models and actually start aquiring some decent terrain then this tick's all of my boxes. Plus PLASTIC furies would be awesome, I have been thinking about proxying something for ages as I hate the current metal sculpts.

I personnally love the concept, as it harkens back to realm of chaos, and small warbands instead of huge legions of ultra evil armored guys.

I get why people who don’t like chaos are disappointed, although the teasers already hinted heavily at that kind of setting. If I wasn’t into chaos I would just use proxies of whatever army I like, shouldn’t be that hard :)