Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

6 hours ago, eekamouse said:

They confirmed on Facebook it won’t stay Chaos only.

This is so far beyond wishful thinking that it's basically a lie.

"The article says that we'll be exploring the dizzying diversity of Chaos on a scale never attempted before - that's all we know right now. As soon as we have more to announce here, we'll announce it!"

"We're not saying anything more than what we've already said" does not translate into "we're making your entire wishlist but it's a secret!"

• Like 6

People trying to read into what the Facebook page says is like when people claim they know about upcoming releases because a GW store manager told them.

Like store staff, the social media guys don't know much more than we do. Their answers to any question are always 'we'll let you know when we know!' or 'we'll pass that along to the relevant team!'. You can't read any kind of secret knowledge or extra info into their posts. 

• Like 1

My two pence on this...

Firstly, I'm very excited. I love the idea of what this could be and it looks to be a mix of Kill Team and Necromunda in a Age of Sigmar setting. I think if they have got the blend of rules right, this will be a great game. It seems to me that it could tick all the boxes about the different ways to play and I think if you can get a good group of people to play with or if there is a nice way of supporting it in a 'matched' play environment, I will love it. 

I like the idea of the setting as it's showing us something we haven't seen before. It's cool that it's set about Pilgrims going to the Varanspire as this suggest's that it could be a very big area for the game to explore and opens it up for lots and lots of possibilities. I like that the core setting is Chaos as it means we see more that the themes that have been developed over the last thirty years, which in turn should help players in the main game think about how to theme their armies. I see the future having warbands from other alliances and factions as they can all have a reason for being in the area (gotten lost, epic quest, revenge, etc). The new models look great and I think the scenery looks amazing. 

• Like 10

So I’m thinking the red armoured guys would actually look good in purple and silver to kick start the Slaanesh army I didn’t need.

Really looking forward to this. I hope it has a similar terrain quantity and value as the Kill Team starter.

Edited by ManlyMuppet88

With AoS Skirmish and Underworlds, there are options to play AoS "but with fewer minis" if you want.

This "Necromunda but Fantasy" looks really cool to me.  As a kid, Fantasy was lacking in cool barbarians. And now we have them!
Can't wait to make a MotU inspired warband 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robinlvalentine said:

People trying to read into what the Facebook page says is like when people claim they know about upcoming releases because a GW store manager told them.

Like store staff, the social media guys don't know much more than we do. Their answers to any question are always 'we'll let you know when we know!' or 'we'll pass that along to the relevant team!'. You can't read any kind of secret knowledge or extra info into their posts. 

The social media team know everything that is in development in the main studio, but they cannot share anything not actually announced.  They also need to keep people happy now (irrespective of what they know may/may-not be coming) so their standard response template includes some variation on this 'that's all we know right now. As soon as we have more to announce here, we'll announce it!'.  so you can never read anything into their responses unfortunately.

Edited by stato

Im not sure it will be so far into Necromunda everyone seems to think it will be.  Kill-Team has a campaign for growing your party, and developing skills, a little expansion on that would suit Warcry, you could even use cards to give models advances, like Underworlds but carrying on between games.

7 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

One worry I have is that the models do not seem to say "customisation" at all to me, and that this will have way too much Underworlds in it to be an enjoyable skirmish game.

I think this is a general GW theme these days, maybe two options at most when you build a model but nothing more.   Warcry does seem to be a 'warband in a box' approach to factions, underworlds style.  We will no doubt find out this week as more is revealed.

Edited by stato

I like the look of the miniatures.  If the video reflects the contents of the box, then it will probably cost as much or more so than Shadowspear. Considering that there appears to be a large number of miniatures, terrain and very likely a rulebook as well as any tokens or dice.

Yeah, this is undoubtedly more of the same watered-down/dumbed-down skirmish stuff we've seen from them in recent years...with monopose boring models to boot. Oh yeah, and it's Chaos-only. I'm not saying they should reprint Mordheim exactly word for word, but it's something people have been asking for for years now. New rules and new plastic modular kits. Nobody asked for this. If you want to play a boring boxed-in game you already have 3-4 options. This is a real disappointment. 

EDIT: That sounded real pessimistic, and it was, but if I had to give a "neat" thing about this I guess it was those fury/gargoyle looking models. There will no doubt be great pieces for kitbashing out of this line...but GW seems to have committed themselves down the road of releasing a metric tonne of mediocre board games they can't possibly support long term instead of a couple of solid but expandable properties. And that is a development I do not like.

Edited by exliontamer
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, exliontamer said:

this is undoubtedly more of the same watered-down/dumbed-down skirmish stuff we've seen from them in recent years...

Said with literally NO CLUE about ANY of the game play/rules design choices

Do you really not agree that the skirmish stuff we've seen fom GW in recent years are good quality games? I.E. Underworlds, Necromunda reboot and Kill Team? Imo these games are a all great. 

• Like 4

Necromunda is a good skirmish wargame, though not my cup of tea. Underworlds is a board game. Kill Team is boring, watered-down 40k with unappealing add-on rules. Won't even mention AOS Skirmish, because it is literally AOS with less models.

I was also sorta including Shadow War in there, which was fun but the rules throwback was too much for some people. I enjoyed it though.

Said with the experience of having played all of the above many times. These are my opinions, feel free to attack them I guess, but I don't see why you would need to do so.

Warcry looks brilliant to me and more interesting than I expected. I had presumed that it would be Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh, with the possibility of Beasts of Chaos and Skaven, so am excited by the potential of realm themed Chaos warbands (if that is indeed what they are).

This is the direction I hope the eventual Human AOS release goes down - not a rehash of the Empire, but realm-based customisation on standard human models.

Warcry is a definite buy for me, but then I like Chaos and never expected every faction to be represented following the initial trailer.

• Like 1

Curious to see if this is more Narrative focused like Necromunda (mainly campaign focused) or Matched focused like Underworlds (very easy pick up and play with randos). Kill Team splits the line between the two by having rules for both, but imo with Arena shifted more towards Matched focused. 

I like Narrative games, but don't really have an area interested in ongoing narrative campaigns, so we'll see what it turns out to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exliontamer said:

Necromunda is a good skirmish wargame, though not my cup of tea. Underworlds is a board game. Kill Team is boring, watered-down 40k with unappealing add-on rules. Won't even mention AOS Skirmish, because it is literally AOS with less models.

I would maintain that Underworlds remains the best put-together ruleset ever to come out of GW (apart from LOTR), easily leapfrogging any edition of 40k or WHFB/AoS. Both tidy and characterful. There's a lot that can easily be transferred over into a non-hex-based format. Throw in bottle's Hinterlands stuff and even a sniff of the campaign rules from Necromunda and  it'll be far from watered down.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I would maintain that Underworlds remains the best put-together ruleset ever to come out of GW (apart from LOTR), easily leapfrogging any edition of 40k or WHFB/AoS. Both tidy and characterful. There's a lot that can easily be transferred over into a non-hex-based format. Throw in bottle's Hinterlands stuff and even a sniff of the campaign rules from Necromunda and  it'll be far from watered down.

Oh I am not saying that the rules aren't tight for Underworlds, that was pretty much implied in my "board game" comment. That's just not a paramount thing for me. For my money Underworlds kind of pulls on the tedious bits of games like Magic and Malifaux, without really coming through on the flavor (or narrative, but I admit that's not the point of Underworlds). Underworlds and Kill Team both make me feel like I am playing on rails, not something I am very interested in as a gamer. Warcry feels (obviously we don't yet know) like it will be in that same vein. So again, I just don't understand why we need 3 games with that similar structure/style. I was hoping for a more Necromunda/narrative style game and didn't get it. That's my disappointment, but not necessarily everybody's. 

3 hours ago, exliontamer said:

Yeah, this is undoubtedly more of the same watered-down/dumbed-down skirmish stuff we've seen from them in recent years...with monopose boring models to boot. 

These don't all look to necessarily be monopose. First look at the bases. All the monopose AOS stuff has modelled bases (i.e the Underworlds and Easy to build stuff) - these aren't. In fact the minis with any kind of molded bases are the furies/harpies. Also the red masked guys look way too static to be monopose. I'm thinking this might be a hint that GW are going full on I.G for Slaves to Darkness with different models for different clans.

Just now, zedatkinszed said:

These don't all look to necessarily be monopose. First look at the bases. All the monopose AOS stuff has modelled bases (i.e the Underworlds and Easy to build stuff) - these aren't. In fact the minis with any kind of molded bases are the furies/harpies. Also the red masked guys look way too static to be monopose. I'm thinking this might be a hint that GW are going full on I.G for Slaves to Darkness with different models for different clans.

If they're customisable like necromunda models that would be amazing. (actually I'd prefer if they were a little bit less customisable than necromunda!) 🤣those models are ridiculous

personnally I’m pretty excited about this. The models looks characterful, the terrain looks good and like it would integrate well with scratch-built stuff. I was hoping for a real AoS skirmish campaign game but I love the Realms Of Chaos aesthetic they are going for. My main hope is that there will be a decent campaign system and that the game won’t be too hard to homebrew.

I think GW are in a tight spot with these kind of games : some people want tight matched play rulesets for pickup games and tournaments, some people want freeform aos campaign skirmish, some want new models and some want to be able to play their old WHF minis, some people want it simple and some want it customizable... and obviously the bosses want to sell a ton of them 😂

so as long as it’s fun to play I’ll be houseruling and kitbashing in my living room. At least it’s a great occasion to build crazy chaos scenery; might have to get that skulls box...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

I maintain that Underworlds must secretly be subcontracted to FFG or something since it's so far beyond anything else from GW.

Dave Sanders is the guy on their team that directs Underworlds and Kill Team Arena. Dude has good eyes for skirmish level games, so I'm looking forward to this new creation from him.