Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

I'm a bit disappointed that both starter box leaders have the exact same ability, and that the ogor and the goatlion have exactly the same ability.

But the Golems leader has a second ability!  That is entirely pointless in the base game...  It adds to his strength and his strength is already high enough to be wounding all the Beastie Boys and monsters on  a 3+.  Sure it'll be useful in a mirror match and probably against future warbands but still a little deflating out of the box.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Corporate business tactics 101. Drip-feed staggered releases are designed to  push people into buying every faction one at a time, as consumers don't like waiting to buy their warband of choice. Even releasing a starter set that includes 2 factions with the rulebook, dice, official terrain, etc is part of the strategy to get people to buy every warband, "forcing" people into iron golems/ untamed beasts even if their interest is splintered fang.  Heck, people will buy two boxes just to have the ability to customize their warband with the specialized options.

If they released 6 warbands in separate boxes all at once, people could choose to get only their favourite warbands straight from launch, which would defeat their business plan.

Just like in AoS and all the other systems of GW, really.

People always overlook the fact, that all this "fancy new" stuff is just created, to feed the community new stuff each time, so the money flows constantly.

40 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Just like in AoS and all the other systems of GW, really.

People always overlook the fact, that all this "fancy new" stuff is just created, to feed the community new stuff each time, so the money flows constantly.

I always thought that it's the other way around. Customers always demand new stuff (Where is my update, battletome, new plastic minis, etc.??!) and all the GW employees work 24/7, as some sort of modern slaves, in order to meet unrealistic expectations of those everhungry, whimsical, whining group of plast abusers.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

I always thought that it's the other way around. Customers always demand new stuff (Where is my update, battletome, new plastic minis, etc.??!) and all the GW employees work 24/7, as some sort of modern slaves, in order to meet unrealistic expectations of those everhungry, whimsical, whining group of plast abusers.

that said they always  find ways of making more Stormcast and Space marine release over the years and their release bias hasn't exactly made consumers sympathetic to them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jam Warrior said:

I'm a bit disappointed that both starter box leaders have the exact same ability, and that the ogor and the goatlion have exactly the same ability.

But the Golems leader has a second ability!  That is entirely pointless in the base game...  It adds to his strength and his strength is already high enough to be wounding all the Beastie Boys and monsters on  a 3+.  Sure it'll be useful in a mirror match and probably against future warbands but still a little deflating out of the box.

Ahh but its good because it means the forces in the box are not perfect mirror-matches. Which suggests balance was done on warbands (and other armies) as a whole rather than with boxed mirror matches. Plus don't forget on the launch day there's already one more warband and we've already got another 3 that are likely to be released very shortly after. 

Plus who knows there might be abilities/cards that knock the units strength down. Consider the snake faction who use poisons - a poison that knocks your base strength down might well mean a strength boosting ability comes into its own!

2 hours ago, Jam Warrior said:

I'd much rather have the warbands be balanced across the whole as opposed to what is in the starter box. I also expect that while we are waiting on more warbands there will be plenty of people bringing their non-chaos forces to the table. I suspect the Golem ability to boost strength is going to be something I dislike when I have my Stormcast on the board (well against my vanguards at least. The mass of goodest boys most likely won't care.)

28 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

Hate to double post, but I keep thinking about how I wish the point cost would leak for the non-chaos factions. I would love to have my Vanguard Warband ready to go for the day the rules drop. 

Well I think that may be harder as they are individual packs, and not part of the "try it out" kit. Maybe give it time, but I suppose it wouldn't be too long. Plus. All the points are on the card so it probably wouldn't be too hard to make a warband up day one?

1 minute ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well I think that may be harder as they are individual packs, and not part of the "try it out" kit. Maybe give it time, but I suppose it wouldn't be too long. Plus. All the points are on the card so it probably wouldn't be too hard to make a warband up day one?

True. Problem is I am intending to give them an alternate paint scheme to my standard stormcast. I could just bring my already painted figures and hold off on painting the warcry ones until the cards are in hand I suppose. 

7 hours ago, Sete said:

Stormcast is just Vanguard? Booo hiss!

Gotta get rid of those old boxes somehow. My LGS just recently managed to trick some sucker into buying the Vanguard battleforce, I guess GW was not having better luck selling them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jam Warrior said:

You get +1 Toughness for having cover in the game. So if any of those T4 guys have cover, suddenly that ability is quite useful.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jam Warrior said:

Also useful if you play just the base game but in a campaign as there is a lesser artefact of power that gives a +1 toughness bonus. So plenty of models that in a campaign could get to toughness 5. Personally  not too fussed that in a straight out of the box battle some of the abilities are more or less useful than others given the scope of what is coming is obvious.

In terms of the rules, and whether I like them. My first brief read through left me feeling a little flat to be honest. The core mechanics are solid, easy to understand and read well, but my first reaction was basically 'where's the beef?' Having had a while to consider it though I have to say I am really keen to get some models on the table and play some stuff through.

I guess part of it was moments of revelation, like for example I looked at the single dice roll mechanic for damage and though that it would make it hard to make a unit feel tougher or stronger in subtle ways. But then I thought about how you could make someone tougher, and I came up with non exhaustive approaches: Higher toughness, higher wounds, faction runemark that allows wounds to be restored even while in combat, faction runemark that allows one model to heal another, faction runemark to boost toughness, faction runemark that allows teleporting. This also ignores impact of twist cards that may affect survivability, impacts of being in a campaign, warband choice focused on survivability, and just raw availability to a faction of models with decent toughness.

I am really looking forwards to getting it on the table and actually playing it. I feel that to get best benefit I will jump in at the deep end - get in a few trial games and then get a campaign running to really layer in the various game aspects.

10 minutes ago, Mutton said:

You get +1 Toughness for having cover in the game. So if any of those T4 guys have cover, suddenly that ability is quite useful.

I did not know that, though that makes some sense and also I like that a lot more than Kill Teams -1 to hit, at least on paper. I know it's roughly exactly the same thing, though without the 2+ or 6+ to wound in this game, it still keeps it relatively simple to cause damage still, having to roll to hit on a 6, then get through a wound roll and then hope an armour save flub happens is pretty joyless in skirmish scale where it's a mono-dice roll each time.

I've had bad times against obscured Stealth Suits at -2 to hit when shot at in KT.

This and the lack of ranged gunline (outside of Vanguard) makes this game more appealing to me to play, given my playstyle of running in direct and wanting to roll lots of hits (Pestilens player).

5 minutes ago, mhsellwood said:

But then I thought about how you could make someone tougher, and I came up with non exhaustive approaches: Higher toughness, higher wounds, faction runemark that allows wounds to be restored even while in combat, faction runemark that allows one model to heal another, faction runemark to boost toughness, faction runemark that allows teleporting.

I do believe that Cypher Lord's main schtick is teleportation, makes sense that it's done through ability.

I know it's somewhat off topic, but I hope we see a Chaos Orruk in one of the next factions. I'm not even sure if Orruks in AoS can turn to Chaos (I don't see why not if Aelves and Duardin can). I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to convince one. "Hey, your favorite things are 'mashin' heads and stompin' foes right? Guess what? Mine Too!" Chaos Warrior to future Chaos Orruk.

1 hour ago, Sabotage! said:

I know it's somewhat off topic, but I hope we see a Chaos Orruk in one of the next factions. I'm not even sure if Orruks in AoS can turn to Chaos (I don't see why not if Aelves and Duardin can). I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to convince one. "Hey, your favorite things are 'mashin' heads and stompin' foes right? Guess what? Mine Too!" Chaos Warrior to future Chaos Orruk.

I think chaos orcs were a thing in the old world?

Modern GW has made ork/ruks fairly incorruptible I think. Afaik their communal waaagh field makes them immune to the personal temptation side of chaos.

Either that or they're just too dumb to care?

7 minutes ago, soak314 said:

I think chaos orcs were a thing in the old world?

Modern GW has made ork/ruks fairly incorruptible I think. Afaik their communal waaagh field makes them immune to the personal temptation side of chaos.

Either that or they're just too dumb to care?

Yeah, I'm not really sure on the Old World, I think I may have heard of one or two. I don't know too much about the AoS fluff, so I'm not to certain. I could definitely see the too dumb to care angle, haha.

this is really going back into the stinky mists of the past but certainly in 3rd edition fantasy Chaos Goblins were a thing (in fact a couple of them graced the actual cover of the main rulebook and were getting a right hammering... literally), basically I think they were just normal Gobbos that you gave something like D3 mutations too (ahhhh the realms of chaos mutations tables, now those were fun...).

in fact I'm sure in the 3rd ed. bestiary it actually says Goblins are particularly susceptible  to chaos mutations but a lot of wine has passed under the bridge since I last read it so take that with a pinch of warpstone.

at the same time in 40K, I remember I had the 'Ere We Go' or 'Freebooterz' books for Space Orks and you could field mercenary units of Khornate Stormboyz, essentially I think in the fluff they were Orks who got a bit too into the whole Stormboyz thing and were considered a bit odd.

As Warhammer was pretty explicit with its political/social satire at the time and Orks were, then, essentially a pastiche of 80s football hooligans the Khornate Orks were ones who took things too seriously and went too far, I guess a kind of joking reference to hoolies who went full moron and ended up in far-right Neo-****** outfits. 

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

At least on paper it looks like a more even fight. At least I hope so because Escher was so underwhelming against Goliath (especially before they got an extended armoury from FW). 

A lot of Escher's weakness against the Goliaths in the base box was due how the scenarios play and their low (or high) Cool values. What I mean is that most scenarios in Necromunda favor the brute strength approach a lot more than a fast and agile one.

I'm hoping the victory cards are more balanced in that sense, giving faster warbands an edge in some scenarios and touger warbands in others.

I’m curious as to exactly what will come in the storm vault set; from the photos it looks an awful lot like the $160 terrain set that was just released but there’s no way they’d re-release such a new kit at half the price (assuming they are in the same $80-90 price range as the Kill Team battleground sets) right after the first launch. A year after the initial release I could see it but a month later seems like an awful FU to the players who bought the large box.