Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eekamouse

Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

Recommended Posts

Balance is always tricky and inconstant. Underworld is pretty good at the moment with the recent restricted and banned cards approach. Regular reviews and a lot less randomness than gw traditionally have can give good results.

Interesting thought experiment re. best bits of kill team and underworlds. My views-

- with kill team it is the added depth of rules making all models more valuable. The injury roll, specialists, fire teams in campaign play.

- the alternating model by model activation in both games

- the unique aspect of each warband in Underworld

What I hope. Small armies of 5 to 20 models. Basic rules are AoS but with alternating activation and addition of strength and toughness. Warbands are specific to the game but flexible (so for example a warband might allow for model and weapon combinations not possible in game but you have choice around specific numbers of models etc).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could actually see this being way more focused on narrative play. Consider that Underworlds is 100% focused on competitive, matched play - it's already there for people who want a tight, balanced, tournament-friendly game - meanwhile Path to Glory is no longer in print, and out of date with the new edition of AoS, so this could be the perfect thing to replace it as an entry-level narrative campaign system.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im really hoping for some more boardtiles set in the mortal realms.  Would honestly buy one of each realm if they existed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The images from the trailer suggest there will be order forces as well as chaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wish (besides rules being good) is that Warcry starter box would be about the same kind of deal for terrain as the Kill Team starter. 😍

  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for it to be the launch of the Darkoath models. Give us a Darkoath band led by a Chaos Warriorakin and a Freeguild opposition force led by a Stormcast.

 

Terrain wise, it sounds like they've got a fairly specific concept in mind. Whilst I'd love an Azyrite ruin set to the same kind if detail as the Sector Imperalis set, I think we'll get something more Chaosy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More I think about Warcry I could def see them releasing a game where you get a truck load of Darkoath/StD  models, and then a few months later the BT comes out and everyone that bought Warcry is like, ****** it, I already have the basis for an army might as well go all in now.

See my awful growing realisation that thanks to KT and BSF i’m getting dangerously close to buying a load of the new GSCults now and Black Legion when they come out.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the makers of Kill team and Underworlds.

Brings the best elements of both game systems.

Set at/in the all points.

 

This is going to be the AoS version of Kill Team. Guaranteed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, mhsellwood said:

What I hope. Small armies of 5 to 20 models. Basic rules are AoS but with alternating activation and addition of strength and toughness. Warbands are specific to the game but flexible (so for example a warband might allow for model and weapon combinations not possible in game but you have choice around specific numbers of models etc).

Imo, strength vs thougness shouldn't return for anything related to AoS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm leaning more and more towards the Speed Freeks angle: a simplistic boxed game intended to quick-start us on a new army (Godsworn).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 123lac said:

By the makers of Kill team and Underworlds.

Brings the best elements of both game systems.

Set at/in the all points.

 

This is going to be the AoS version of Kill Team. Guaranteed.

 

I'm coming for you if it's going to be gorechosen 2.0 ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 4:27 AM, mhsellwood said:

What I hope. Small armies of 5 to 20 models. Basic rules are AoS but with alternating activation and addition of strength and toughness. Warbands are specific to the game but flexible (so for example a warband might allow for model and weapon combinations not possible in game but you have choice around specific numbers of models etc).

This makes sense.  I had wondered how many AoS factions would get around the lack of wargear options in a single unit box (relative to Kill Team).  The solution could be Necromunda style gang boxes. Is this how Mordheim was released?

id love a couple of small, mixed faction, G alliance align warbands.  Like the big free city boxes, but cheaper.

Worst option in my mind would be expensive boxes with easy to build monopose units and compulsory terrain.  Ive bought terrain and units for exclusively kill team, but im not interested in the  kill team units with terrain boxes.  

Looking forward to this release ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

This makes sense.  I had wondered how many AoS factions would get around the lack of wargear options in a single unit box (relative to Kill Team).  The solution could be Necromunda style gang boxes. Is this how Mordheim was released?

id love a couple of small, mixed faction, G alliance align warbands.  Like the big free city boxes, but cheaper.

Worst option in my mind would be expensive boxes with easy to build monopose units and compulsory terrain.  Ive bought terrain and units for exclusively kill team, but im not interested in the  kill team units with terrain boxes.  

Looking forward to this release ^^

Necromunda came with 2 new unit boxes: a human kit and a skaven kit. Both had lots of weapon options like pistols and swords but also non weapons like lanterns. Similarly the terrain was ruined urban buildings that were very flexible.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 8:40 AM, Stealth_Hobo said:

My wish (besides rules being good) is that Warcry starter box would be about the same kind of deal for terrain as the Kill Team starter. 😍

Ray Dranfield has created some exceptional stuff (I can't remember the other chap). The Kill Team scenery is immense, but actually so much of all of it is. It is incredibly flexible, expandable and I had some many little bits spare that were perfect for basing as well. £80 for two Kill Teams (nearly), a set of ruins, the board and rules is huge value for money. I'll buy a set of Warcry in an instant and one for the school club if it's remotely as good.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, JPjr said:

More I think about Warcry I could def see them releasing a game where you get a truck load of Darkoath/StD  models, and then a few months later the BT comes out and everyone that bought Warcry is like, ****** it, I already have the basis for an army might as well go all in now.

See my awful growing realisation that thanks to KT and BSF i’m getting dangerously close to buying a load of the new GSCults now and Black Legion when they come out.

I feel the same. I started with 40K over 20 years ago but it never got going like I did with Fantasy. But because KT is so collectable and easy to play, I now have a fully painted Tyranid Kill Team, a nearly finish Space Wolf one, a primed Ultramarine one, a built and based Necron team and that's without looking at the GSC or AdMech I have on sprues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I will repost this from the Rumor thread, courtesy of @Ben2 (to avoid any debate : he is a new user here, but a rumormonger with excellent track record on Dakkadakka). 

" (...) Warcry I've known as Killteam but Aos since autumn last year, but I've not known the details regarding it as a) I'm not interested in AoS much, though 2.0 softened me a bit and I've played a bunch of Underworlds and think it's one of the best designed GW games in years and b) I was far more interested in the stuff coming out for KT and 40k. And 40k is going to hit us like a train this year. 

However Darkoath (which will include the StD range) has peaked my interest, as sixpack barbarians done with modern sculpting hit's the spot for me as an old fantasy player. I will definitely be getting into AoS Killteam.  

I was expecting Warcry at the back end of this year, and the LVO announcement to feature more of the Chaos stuff or maybe hints from the big 40k summer releases, but it's possible it's coming sooner. 

I've been told the leak seen is pretty much correct. Watching the trailer though you can pretty much educated guess half the background detail, and Stormcast vs Chaos is also a pretty easy guess from there.

I know the Kill Team studio guys were pushing hard to get new minis assigned to them (and used the slow sales on the faction starters and commander sets to say that they needed something new) and now they've got the new format we've seen in the latest release of a more aggressively priced product with new models and more material (twice the missions per set for example). I had hoped they'd follow the new coke formula with Warcry, and will be disappointed if they don't. (...)".

BRING

IT

ON :D

  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 2:04 PM, HammerOfSigmar said:

I hope it will be more balanced than path to glory.

Doubtful.  Balance is not a design paradigm that the developers put a lot of weight on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dead Scribe said:

Doubtful.  Balance is not a design paradigm that the developers put a lot of weight on.

The team behind shadespire and Killteam does, and they are in charge of this project...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Killteam isn't very balanced from what I hear.  So I will not hold my breath.  If it comes out as a tournament game I'll look at playing it if there is a large player base, but I assume the balance will be on par with AOS and will require careful examination of the game's lists before picking a faction to avoid picking a chump list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played Kill Team, though not Underworld, the latter is with the prechosen set warbands, isn't it? I get it confused with the other AoS based game. Someone mind sharing what Underworld is like as a game (in comparison to KT) and what makes it great? From there I guess we can figure what those best bits from it would be in Warcry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kill Team is the same sort of balance dumpster fire as any other GW game.

 

I suspect Underworlds is secretly outsourced to FFG or something since it's actually a real game.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play Kill Team and love it. For the most part, the game is balanced. I think it's better played as a narrative format than competitively, but Arena does a good job separating the latter for those interested in tournament play. Hopefully Warcry follows suit. We already have Underworlds for those who want small-warband competitive play

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly Warcry news but Warscroll builder has just been updated to include the new Skirmish points. Huge thanks and great job  @scrollbuilderdude

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

Not exactly Warcry news but Warscroll builder has just been updated to include the new Skirmish points. Huge thanks and great job  @scrollbuilderdude

Awesome! Seems to be working well. You can even use the "no hero" variant without it barking at you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The warscroll builder is a little janky on Skirmish.

I added a bunch of beastmen figures, got the points to 240. I then upgraded a bestigor and ungor raider to 'unit leader' and was expecting it to go to 250 (5pts per upgrade). It went above 250, so my list wasn't valid, I removed them, and it kept them at that points cost. I'm not sure what it is trying to do.

I've had to calculate my skirmish force outside of the warscroll builder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...