Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

It seems to be their skirmish game.

It says it combines the best parts of Kill Team and Underworlds, so I'm guessing skirmish level board size + custom dice. I don't think cards would be a part of it as that was the way to customise pre-genned warbands.

• Like 2

I'm a bit concerned that it's set in the Allpoints as thats very much chaos territory and the gates that go there arent exactly easy to pass through. Hopefully if it is the new skirmish game then it will be generic enough that not having chaos involved doesn't feel like going against the narrative.

Warcry is probably, at least for me, the best news of today. 

I'm a Chaos player in WFB, 40k, KT and of course mostly AOS, so I've been really spoiled by the LVO reveal. And if on top of everything else we get Slaanesh and Darkoath this year I'll have to sell body parts...

Now I have to say... In terms of rules, Kill Team is one if the best games I've played recently, so I have huge expectation for Warcry (kind of Chaos Mordheim in AOS ?)...

BRING. IT. ON !!! :D

• Like 6

Warcry certainly feels like it'll fit into the same market, and explains why Skirmish rules were getting updated via WD.

It'll undoubtedly be it's own rules system, with a view to tournament balancing because GW have been working hard to displace X-Wing and the like.

• Like 1

My money is on a chaos gladiator arena. Any other factions present would at best be prisoners used to give wannabe champions a good challenge.

Wild speculation: A gladiator arena would be a neat place to introduce a bunch of new fantastical beasts as antagonists that could then be used in AoS proper.

Edited by lord_blackfang
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Warcry is probably, at least for me, the best news of today. 

I'm a Chaos player in WFB, 40k, KT and of course mostly AOS, so I've been really spoiled by the LVO reveal. And if on top of everything else we get Slaanesh and Darkoath this year I'll have to sell body parts...

Now I have to say... In terms of rules, Kill Team is one if the best games I've played recently, so I have huge expectation for Warcry (kind of Chaos Mordheim in AOS ?)...

BRING. IT. ON !!! :D

Agreed on it being from my point of view the best news. I really like Kill Team, and Underworlds so if we get something like that...

I think the game will be Chaos focussed, but all alliances playable. Chaos as the kind of narrative driving force - champions and heroes trying to get to Varanspire and the favour of Archaon, Order trying to defeat important followers of the Chaos gods, Death trying to enact some dark plan of Nagash, Destruction... destroying.

And I really hope we get terrain as good as the Kill Team stuff

• Like 3

There was a time when the All-Points was under nobody's control and was disputed territory.  There is no reason why this new game couldn't be set in this time era allowing all Grand Alliances the chance to contest for it.   Alternatively, the Necroquake could have had an impact on the All-Points (It being connected to every Realm and therefore particularly susceptible to it's influence), leaving it open once again to be contested.

• Like 3

We've had loads of "Random Chaos Lord rulling over a battle arena" in the short stories as of late. Indeed it seems that whilst Nurgle and Tzeentch plot to draw lands into their fold and Slaanesh are hunting; Khorne Worshippers tend to degrade into watching endless blood matches and raising their ranks from the eventual victors of endless rounds of bloody combat.

I can see it being a game of "plunk your hero down and FIGHT!" 

I think it will be chaos focussed by the artwork and logo. I don’t think they can do a “killteam” yet as the 40K version has all the races set in stone. AOS has not settled down yet with a confirmed amount of races. Once they are in place I can see a version of killteam coming. I guess they could update and add to the product if they really wanted to.

50 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

There was a time when the All-Points was under nobody's control and was disputed territory.  There is no reason why this new game couldn't be set in this time era allowing all Grand Alliances the chance to contest for it.   Alternatively, the Necroquake could have had an impact on the All-Points (It being connected to every Realm and therefore particularly susceptible to it's influence), leaving it open once again to be contested.

Well, no, because in the trailer, Archaon is speaking, or at least the narrator is talking about the Eightpoint, so the Chaos-corrupted Allpoints.

And the Allgates are already "open" i.e. active (but the Heaven one) ; some of them still have Chaos fortresses around them.

And even if all Chaos-held all gates fell due to the Necroquake, there would still be the Varanspire itself to conquer...

But since the Realmgate Wars day 1, it's indeed Sigmar's goal to retake the Allpoint, so as you said there is enough fluff reason to see all Grand Alliances fighting to take control of it. 

Alternatively, we could see a game where different Chaos warbands try to reach the Allpoint, and have to fight each other and also Order, Death and Destructions bands on the road to the Varanspire (that would match the "bands wandering through strange landscapes" artworks of the trailer....).

For me it gives a Necromunda type deal. It's all set on an Imperial Hive world with rival gangs vying for supremacy. Why not a similar thing at the all points, rival Chaos Lord vying for Archaons favour?

It's also worth noting that while they say it's "from the makers of Kill Team and Underworlds" they don't necessarily say it is anything like either of them

• Like 2

It is really hard to say what this might be. Underworlds and Kill Team are completely different. And if it was a Necromunda clone they would have said so. And if it was a replacement for Skirmish they could have teased that.

What's similar about the 2 games they mentioned is this:

• Squad based combat
  • Squads are related to Units from the core game (i.e 40K or AOS)
  • Quick games that are easy to get into
  • Both games use special dice.

What's different is this:

• Underworlds has a completely different ruleset to AOS. Kill Team is closer to 40K than Underworlds is to AOS.
  • Underworlds uses hexes. Kill Team measures movement like 40K.
  • Kill Team uses the same models as 40K. Underworlds has specific models for specific warbands.
  • Kill Team uses Terrain. Underworlds uses a 2D board.
  • Underworlds uses lots and lots of tokens

So what are the best bits?

IMHO: rules closer to AOS than Underworlds, measuring distances. Specific models, use of Terrain. Special Dice.

I am a bit worried this will be a Gore Chosen successor. I could live with that - I have 3 Chaos armies. But what I think we all want is AOS kill team not a chaos only thing.

• Like 5

This is definitely a skirmish game. Sam ‘hinterlands’ Pearson has been tweeting about it. Everyone has been speculating that he would do a new skirmish game since has was hired. It looks like this is it. If we look at the progression of complexity we have gorechosen, underworlds, killteam, Necromunda. I think this will sit between underworlds and killteam has in terms of complexity. It will be played on a board like both killteam and underworlds but will have measurement. There will be some kind of mechanic involving cards. I would like to see new warbands underworlds style but also rules for using your existing collection. It will have a short play time. 

I would like to see some cool rules for interactive scenery and multilayered environments. Some new scenery would be awesome.

This is now my most anticipated release of the year. I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I am just worried it won’t release until the autumn. 

• Like 8

Well, they could easily have some kind of Mordheim up at the Allpoints - maybe a haunted city of "normal" people that used to live there. It does sound interesting and I can't wait to see the terrain that might come with it.

Personally I was really hoping to see new Chosen minis (or more of Darkoath/Slaanesh in general) but at least the 40k Chaos reveal was lovely. Yeah, I'm impatient.

Khorne getting endless spells prayers before Tzeentch is kinda ironic though. :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

This is definitely a skirmish game. Sam ‘hinterlands’ Pearson has been tweeting about it. Everyone has been speculating that he would do a new skirmish game since has was hired. It looks like this is it. If we look at the progression of complexity we have gorechosen, underworlds, killteam, Necromunda. I think this will sit between underworlds and killteam has in terms of complexity. It will be played on a board like both killteam and underworlds but will have measurement. There will be some kind of mechanic involving cards. I would like to see new warbands underworlds style but also rules for using your existing collection. It will have a short play time. 

I would like to see some cool rules for interactive scenery and multilayered environments. Some new scenery would be awesome.

This is now my most anticipated release of the year. I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I am just worried it won’t release until the autumn. 

Oh really ? I have to check his Twitter account !

Man I'm 100% with you on that. So excited (well, more than this morning, as a Khorne AND Black Legion fan :P) !!

Edited by HorticulusTGA

As others have already mentioned, the Allpoints or Eightpoints is absolute chaos territory. Especially as the Varanspire, Archaon's chaos citadel and throne, is situated right there. It's pretty much what Ayzrheim is for SCE, just for Chaos.

I really wonder what they are going to do with this game and lore-wise. As it stands, chaos worshippers and especially lords of chaos are driven to the Varanspire when they get called upon by Archaon or his servants to prove themselves worthy of joining his Varanguard ranks (Call of Archaon describes this process and trials from the PoV of several lords)

That being said, they might change lore and manipulate it in a way that even non-chaos characters/bands might be feasible. The arena setting was my first impulse as well. Especially as something like this pops up in many stories that revolve around our favorite bad guys (especially frequent in Khorne stories).

Damn, now I'm more hyped than is good for me, over something with pretty much no info out there. :D

• Like 1