Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

3 minutes ago, Moldek said:

I understand your concern. I was all for a chaos only game too, maybe expanded on later. On the other hand it seems like a big shift to decide to release 9 more warbands totally unplanned, it's entirely possible that this was part of the project from the start. I guess we'll know later!

Yeah, it’s just my initial knee ****** reaction. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Personally, I’m worried that they’ve just added these at a late stage because of complaints about it being chaos only, which makes me a bit worried about the balance. And there’s almost no chance they’ll be new models for the existing factions, which is slightly disappointing - if they’d have added them later they could have done new warbands for them.  

It takes a really long time to make new models. People have only suspected it was a chaos-only game for a few weeks. Everything points to having all these factions represented being the plan from the beginning. I think the lore will be rooted in these chaos trials they were talking about in the teaser trailer, but I'm sure the game has been made with more than just chaos in mind.

I think GW always planned to add non-Chaos warbands. Do we really think for a moment GW could release a AoS product whilst resisting the urge to vomit Stormcast all over it and remind us that Stormcast exist and you should totally buy Stormcast guys, they're awesome.

I do think this announcement is probably a kneejerk reaction to the negativity surrounded the lack of non-Chaos warbands however. I think the truth will come out depending on what form they actually take. If get get a White Dwarf/Community article about "here's FREE rules for using your AoS models as Warbands!" then, yeah, it was probably a stapled on job. We could also see them in a separate, paid supplement book that comes shortly after whilst the core game only includes the Chaos lot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

It takes a really long time to make new models. People have only suspected it was a chaos-only game for a few weeks. Everything points to having all these factions represented being the plan from the beginning. I think the lore will be rooted in these chaos trials they were talking about in the teaser trailer, but I'm sure the game has been made with more than just chaos in mind.

I don’t think these factions are getting new models, as that would be 15 new warbands and it says they’re available from the start. There’s not gonna be 15 warbands from the start. I think it’s just Warcry rules for current models. 

3 minutes ago, Still-young said:

I don’t think these factions are getting new models, as that would be 15 new warbands and it says they’re available from the start. There’s not gonna be 15 warbands from the start. I think it’s just Warcry rules for current models. 

If so I really don't understand why you wouldn't have rules for every currently supported faction kill team style. I guess you're right though. Maybe these are just the favourite children.

Edited by Dreadmund
typo, wrong word

I think they will all be unique warbands, seeing the unique iconography. I think they saw that many potential buyers wouldn't get the starterbox if it were chaos-only so they just shifted the planned release for them. If I understand correctly they start designing models years in advance so they are probably all already done. That being said, I would have preferred existing kits, as that was what attracted me to kill team; being able to buy single kits for different factions and being able to play with that. Probably these unique warbands work better in regard of narrative play, which it will focus on. Which is also pretty cool to be honest.

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

I assume its new models. If it were just rules, why wouldn't they include rules for every faction? This feels like you'll have to buy specific new models to play which isn't what i was hoping for. I don't think i can justify buying another new spin off game that needs all new models and books to play really. The great thing about kill team is that you can use what you already have, or start with a kill team and build up to a bigger army for use in 40k.

Oh i’d Assume no new models for the other factions. A limited roster just means you can have a more balanced game. We’ll see whose gut is right ;) 

So even within those factions I’m guessing you’ll be very limited what tot take. Maybe one special champion/hero model per faction just to drive sales, and get people in there. 

makes sense to me to limit what you can have, yes Kill Team gave rules in the corebook for all available factions but that only came to 16 factions, at present AoS still has around 26 identified different factions. With a good selection of the main factions represented I see no real harm in limiting what's available to start with in a different brand new system, allows them to create a tighter, much more flavourful game.

Sure there will be someone narked their favourite army might not get a look in but looks like we're just talking warbands of around half a dozen models, so sorry but if you're not expressly catered for you'll just have to try something new, it's not going to be a major outlay in the grand scheme of things, or just sulk in your basement.

I imagine you'll get rules for different factions in the corebook so you can play them from the start and then they'll release boxes for individual named warbands like Kill Team that come with some extra stuff, scenery, maybe some more chaos beasts and individual cards/rules/traits/command abilities/however it spins out.

• Like 3

9 Warbands its easy to tell what they are going to be :)

There are around 9 (including skaven and the newly announced KO set) warbands for Shadspire which are not Chaos Themed. 

So what 9 factions get a starting point for the new Warcry skirmish game? Why not make it the same models as are already sold within Shadspire? That would also make each new Shadspire release twin with Warcry and also means that if/when Shadspire (and its reliance on cards made by 3rd parties) dies, Warcry can keep those same model sets going for years to come.

That is where I'd put my money. It makes sense on why the launch number is limited to 9 rather than all factions if its just rules; it also cuts down the number of kits needed to be produced by a huge margin and means that the AoS gamers get to use "unique" models in Warcry not just regular models drafted from the current line of models. Which is also not an ideal approach if GW were to expect some new gamers to pick up Warcry (you're not going to buy 2 or 3 boxes of troops for 1 model from each). 

Edited by Overread

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

9 Warbands its easy to tell what they are going to be :)

There are around 9 (including skaven and the newly announced KO set) warbands for Shadspire which are not Chaos Themed. 

So what 9 factions get a starting point for the new Warcry skirmish game? Why not make it the same models as are already sold within Shadspire? That would also make each new Shadspire release twin with Warcry and also means that if/when Shadspire (and its reliance on cards made by 3rd parties) dies, Warcry can keep those same model sets going for years to come.

This sounds great but the symbols doesn't match... 

Technicalities technicalities! 

Though that might scupper my theory................ I still can't imagine GW releasing that many models unique for a side game - I mean it sounds fantastic if they did! But I just can't see them doing it (esp when there are full army releases they could have done instead)

34 minutes ago, Overread said:

Technicalities technicalities! 

Though that might scupper my theory................ I still can't imagine GW releasing that many models unique for a side game - I mean it sounds fantastic if they did! But I just can't see them doing it (esp when there are full army releases they could have done instead)

It’ll most likely be rules for existing models, rather than all new models for the 9 non Chaos teams. 

I'm cautious to lurch one side to another. My initial disappointment of Chaos only receded, just based on how good Kill Team is and my hope Warcry would be the same.

Now the reveal of 9 other factions puts me right back to where I felt before - I'm really happy. 

I'm also not going to worry too much about what those 9 other factions are (though I will hope it's quite a 'free' choice a bit like Kill Team is) because if it's remotely like Kill Team, I'll end up using it as an excuse to try factions that aren't what I collect for AoS anyway! 

It's going to be good whatever happens, of that I feel really confident. 

29 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Personally don’t care in the slightest what they do with the non-Chaos warbands - it’s Chaos all they way for me.

And I’m really hoping the different warbands will be useable in a Slaves to Darkness army. I’m going to anyway, even if it’s just proxies.

Something tells me at least some of the models will be more than just marauder stand ins

I mean one of the sets is Furies, who still have a legal Matched Play profile.

Just wanted to point out on the missing 9th faction that it was hinted on twitter by one for the GW guys that the last faction is death (three for each except death on the symbols)

I am leaning to some sort of Ogor faction for the top left mystery symbol, although I was thinking BCRs for some reason.

12 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

Just wanted to point out on the missing 9th faction that it was hinted on twitter by one for the GW guys that the last faction is death (three for each except death on the symbols)

I am leaning to some sort of Ogor faction for the top left mystery symbol, although I was thinking BCRs for some reason.

makes sense. I figure 3 from each faction and figure from the glyphs we'll have...

Death / LoN/Soulblight | Nighthaunt | Flesh Eater Courts

Order / Stormcast Eternals | Daughters of Khaine | Idoneth Deepkin

Destruction / Iron Jawz | Gloomspite and then I guess Ogors of some kind (as you say top left) or possibly a much slimmer chance I guess could it could be Bonesplitterz

Edited by JPjr

3 minutes ago, JPjr said:

makes sense. I figure 3 from each faction and figure from the glyphs we'll have...

Death / LoN/Soulblight | Nighthaunt | Flesh Eater Courts

Order / Stormcast Eternals | Daughters of Khaine | Idoneth Deepkin

Destruction / Iron Jawz | Gloomspite and then I guess Ogors of some kind (as you say top left) or possibly a slimmer chance I guess could it could be Bonesplitterz

For destruction I keep thinking that the obvious ork head is a Iron Jawz or Bonesplitters and the other symbols as something non Orks (I don't imagine them doing two Ork factions). I could see that mystery symbol maybe being beastmen of some type or Ogors, but the Ogors seem more likely after it being called out specifically that Ogors are represented in the Iron Golem chaos band.

Most of my brainspace is trying to figure out which realm each chaos band will be connected to (since Iron Golem is specifically called out as Chamon I suspect this trend to continue), but I just had a tin foil hat moment for why we are missing the third Death Faction. What if it is inspired by Tomb Kings? Would make sense to exclude that if they are actually planning a rerelease later (I admit this is pure speculation, but would be a cool twist)

6 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

I call the 9th warband will be Death aligned voodoo necromancer humans with new  animal and humans zombies 👌

If they let me play as a Voodoo styled necromancer I will finally have found a Death faction I like and demand it transitions to full AoS