Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

7 hours ago, Overread said:

It's interesting that the Untamed Beasts aren't another "tough-guy" force and are instead closer to a glass-cannon. That said I think it makes sense considering how they don't have armour and are far more barbarian in style; plus the hulky heavy hitter slot is taken by the Golems 

Feels a lot like the necromunda set up. Tough vs mobile 

51 minutes ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Where did you see about the untamed beasts please. I followed the leaks at imgur but didn't see anything about them there (just how to play) 

All the way at the back.  It's a photo of the cards along with the Iron Golems.

• Like 1

While the new video on Warhammer Community didn't give too much away on the warbands, does anyone have one they're more or less eager to play hearing what they do now?

I was fairly surprised that only the Iron Golems seem to have toughness as a thing and the other five warbands sound quite fragile, though each bringing in something with it, Beasts seem to have a more vanilla lots of attacks and buffs, Corvus can leap and get across terrain easier with perhaps some sneak attack abilities, Splintered Fangs have poison (usually that's an always wound on an X roll in Necromunda or 40k, I'd like to see slow draining of HP on an ability or something that feels more like poison), Unmade seem to have the classic fear abilities to stun/break the enemy and Cypher Lords seem able to teleport, heroic intervention and look out sir.

Honestly in my opinion they made the Cypher Lords seem really fun, my opinion has gone up with them. Unmade are also up there for me. Corvus less so now, their stuff makes perfect sense, though I've never really been a player that works terrain past cover as I get my models to move to charging range (I have the tactical bluntness of Khorne, so of course I play Pestilens and swarm the enemy with glass-cannon ratto monks, lol!), movement tactics go against my natural playstyle, though Iron Golems I think would feel too lumbering for me also.

What's everyone else think and what kind of play are you going to go for?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wander said:

Been gravitating more and more to the Cypher Lords, too.

At first I just thought it was neat that we were getting some more overtly eastern influenced models in the setting. Then I had a think about how good all the cloth on the models would be for painting fancy patterns. Now the summary of their playstyle has me pretty sold, and I'm likely gonna get them once I end up getting tired of playing my grots in everything I can shove them into.

4 hours ago, wander said:

I'm still high on the Unmade although their play style is not a 100% my cup of tea. But I'm a horrible player anyway, and always appreciate the aesthetic aspect of the hobby more so that I can lose with a fabulous looking bunch of models.

Based on the video you mentioned, I'd think the Iron golems would best fit a simple linear smash-face strategy that is the most forgiving and easiest to grasp, and thus would be ideal for me. I think I need to look more into them now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wander said:

I never like the tough vs skilled match up in early games. So I’d want at least a tough and skilled faction extra soon so I can do same style match ups in the early games with friends.

So to counter the starter squads i’m probably initially getting Cypher lords because it’s a fast tricky warband with amazing models. 

And for the tough as nails part I’ve been eying some Ironjawz for Skirmish for a long time. So if it’s still available I’m ordering the old grimgor model from a second hand shop, the underworlds warband and a box of brutes. I reckon that gives me enough options to play them in three systems and give me a fun painting challenge. (Underworlds, Skirmish and Warcry in one go) 

after that I’d really like to paint the splintered fang and the Corvus cabal and try something different with both. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I'll play Bonesplitterz until Corvus comes out.... unless the firebois are particularly amazing. 

Corvus could be a second wave only a week after launch of the main game. Considering that GW has spoilt all the warbands long before the launch day I'm guessing that they are staggering the release (they assume big sales) so by keeping it focused to the core game and 1 additional warband they are hoping to keep production up with demand somewhat. Instead of releasing it all on one day and getting slammed way too hard in one go. 

The two leaked armies might or might take a while longer as GW hasn't shown anything for them, though if they do on the release day then that might mean they'll be here in  2 or 3 months. 

If GW does show the two other Warbands this weekend that would be NUTS (in a good way),  I would be over the moon with how much initial support the game is getting.

Currently I imagine we will get the Starter and the Cypher Lords on release day, followed by one more in two weeks, and the last two mid-September. If we see the other two warbands at open day I imagine we will get them by the end of the year (though I doubt we will see them on Open Day).

6 hours ago, wander said:

Now that we have the basic idea of how the first 6 chaos warbands play I think I'll enjoy playing both the Corvus Cabal and Cypher Lords the most because of just how mobile they both sound. Plus jumping off of buildings to surround an opponent with a bunch of bird masked lunatics or flipping all over the place and luring enemy units somewhere and teleporting back to the leader sounds awesome to me. That said all the warbands sound pretty fun honestly, but I think I'll start with those two first.

Really curious to see the unique abilities for each of the factions, I feel they will have a big affect on how a faction might play, especially the abilities that only require doubles and triples as they will be usable most turns.

Seems most factions will have an insane quadruple ability that you'll want to utilize if it ever comes up (having multiple Drillmasters in an Iron Golem warband for example to have a better chance to use their quadruple ability if it ever procs)

10 hours ago, Kramer said:

Feels a lot like the necromunda set up. Tough vs mobile 

I disagree a bit here, Escher is probably more akin to the snake boiis than the untamed. I think most squishier warbands will have more toughness 3 models and maybe more strength 3. If you compare stats between them and the Iron Golems, most members of both warbands have toughness 4 and a move of 4 or 5.  So the Untamed aren't that much faster (except for the doggo), but not that squishy either.

It's a bit more true when you take their abilities into account, with untamed focusing more on extra attacks and some movement and iron golems generally dishing out more strength or damage, plus their banner guy has an insane AoE +1 toughness ability. 

it's more tough vs ferocity I guess is what I'm trying to say. 

At least on paper it looks like a more even fight. At least I hope so because Escher was so underwhelming against Goliath (especially before they got an extended armoury from FW). 

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Like 1

I'n gonna miss to wound and armour saves, but the abilities sound like fun and the scenarios look wild. 

Some of them are only 3 rounds though which reminds me of Shadespire a bit and was something I didn't enjoy in that game. 

The campaign sounds amazingly cool and I already can't wait to see them add more of them!

Also I'm dying to see the stats and abilities of the other warbands now! 😍

Edited by Mikeymajq

I'm really liking the look of the rules so far. Simplifying combat down to a single roll sounds like a great choice, and I really like the movement. Jumping, climbing, and falling all sound really intuitive and easy to grasp. There are still some gaps in the leak, so I'm not totally sure how everything is going to play out but at this point I'm planning on picking it up ASAP.

21 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/18/warband-focus-untamed-beastsgw-homepage-post-4/

Maybe it's just me but they don't really strike me as a particularly 'fast' warband. Or am I overlooking the abilities perhaps?

The smaller guys along with the beast speaker and leader-bean are SPD 5.  It's the first fang and the 2H weapon guys that are SPD 4.  If the First Fang's harpoon ability is anything to go off of, then their native abilities have some movement shenanigans too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/18/warband-focus-untamed-beastsgw-homepage-post-4/

Maybe it's just me but they don't really strike me as a particularly 'fast' warband. Or am I overlooking the abilities perhaps?

plus, based off some leaks they have abilities that allow them to get +1 to wound and attacks, and other ways to get faster on a turn. but I agree, they dont seem too fast, but have some great synergies for the big kitty and the dude bros

2 minutes ago, Zamik said:

Hands up if you're going to boom "GET OVER HERE!" when you snag someone with a harpoon 🙋‍♂️

I don't know about you but I just can't wait to pull someone off a ledge with the harpoon. I know based off the leaks it won't do too much damage unless I pull them off over a spike pit, but it would just be fun visually. 

Will say that the snag could be very good for pulling a guy into combat, and having a dude just stand there to have a two action attack without having to move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Overread said:

Corvus could be a second wave only a week after launch of the main game. Considering that GW has spoilt all the warbands long before the launch day I'm guessing that they are staggering the release (they assume big sales) so by keeping it focused to the core game and 1 additional warband they are hoping to keep production up with demand somewhat. Instead of releasing it all on one day and getting slammed way too hard in one go. 

The two leaked armies might or might take a while longer as GW hasn't shown anything for them, though if they do on the release day then that might mean they'll be here in  2 or 3 months. 

Corporate business tactics 101. Drip-feed staggered releases are designed to  push people into buying every faction one at a time, as consumers don't like waiting to buy their warband of choice. Even releasing a starter set that includes 2 factions with the rulebook, dice, official terrain, etc is part of the strategy to get people to buy every warband, "forcing" people into iron golems/ untamed beasts even if their interest is splintered fang.  Heck, people will buy two boxes just to have the ability to customize their warband with the specialized options.

If they released 6 warbands in separate boxes all at once, people could choose to get only their favourite warbands straight from launch, which would defeat their business plan.

• Thanks 1