Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

The value of the starter box is insane. It’ll be £80 from a discounter like Element Games. I considered getting a gang, the book and some cards instead, but to be honest once you’ve bought 1 more warband, you’ll have spent more than the starter box (essentially getting the scenery, board and tokens for free) and I’d kick myself for not getting it. Plus the Iron Golems are favourites anyway.

• Like 1

If anyone hasn't already, you should listen to the latest Stormcast podcast. It's an interview with Maxime Pastourel where he discusses the ideas, background and concept work behind Warcry. Some of the rules too, vaguely.

Lots of very interesting stuff, for example some broad thoughts about how these guys relate to the chaos gods and their more obvious followers (visually and culturally) and how the Eightpoints 'work' as a home of roving warbands, shanty towns, shrines and camps. In this case it's some thought on how all these different warbands from all over the realms, all feeling the call of Archaon, interact outside of combat in those tense neutral zones or temporary peaces, e.g. the Iron Golems make the most prized weapons,, the Untamed Beasts provide the meat, the Corvus Cabal act as spies, etc.

• Like 3

I can’t believe how often it needs to be said on this forum. You cannot define what is too pricey for someone and you really shouldn’t be making people feel bad for not having money to throw at a fancy board game. 

We cannot know each other’s lived experiences. 

• Like 4

So pictures of the sprues came out and I am dissapointed by the untamed beasts. not angry, not upset, just dissapointed that it's fixed sculpts with fixes weapons. Ah well, If I really want to redo it I guess I will have to convert my stuff.

The warcard sheet looks a little confusing, but I like how they use pictures to make it easier to translate and to understand. It still looks fun though, and I cannot wait to pick it up!

At around minute 44 they talk about how the Cypher Lords are pretty much Tzeentch-aligned (as if the helmets and eyes didn't give that away already) and would later on probably become Kairic Acolytes. Not sure if that is much of an upgrade though. xD Cool vi with lots of info on the warbands...

Edited by MitGas

4 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

So pictures of the sprues came out and I am dissapointed by the untamed beasts. not angry, not upset, just dissapointed that it's fixed sculpts with fixes weapons. Ah well, If I really want to redo it I guess I will have to convert my stuff.

The warcard sheet looks a little confusing, but I like how they use pictures to make it easier to translate and to understand. It still looks fun though, and I cannot wait to pick it up!

For better or worse, most of GW's newer stuff is mono-pose. Sometimes we see kits with lots of options and variant builds (like Troggoths) other times we see whole factions that are almost 100% monopose (like Nighthaunt). 
That days of 10 part fully customizable space marines is slowly becoming history. 
We get more dynamic, more interesting sculpts, at the cost of customization.  I welcome the few kits that are exceptions. 

At least with small warbands, you can do a bit of conversion work. without having to convert a whole army. 

As for the stats and cards.... I agree. The graphic design is confusing. Having to cross reference symbols between different sources is a strange design choice. 
Hopefully it just takes some getting used to, but I can't help to feel that they could have been much clearer. 

I saw someone mention the Fkeah Wound mechanic and how it is kind of clunky in KT (and I agree with this statement). It looks like Warcry is skipping that whole thing with models having various wounds and weapons having different amounts of damage (which sounds much better to me).

9 hours ago, FlatTooth said:

I can’t believe how often it needs to be said on this forum. You cannot define what is too pricey for someone and you really shouldn’t be making people feel bad for not having money to throw at a fancy board game. 

We cannot know each other’s lived experiences. 

A car is cheap if it costs a 1000€ even if you cant afford that you cant deny that its cheap

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Indeed, I think I see two weapon variations for the 2hander-guys, but that's it? The heads seem relatively easy to swap though, which I definitely am (steel helmets and bone weapons? come on). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Eevika said:

A car is cheap if it costs a 1000€ even if you cant afford that you cant deny that its cheap

For a 911 yessir. For a  multipla you’d have to pay me the 1K. ;) 

But I think the point was not if it’s objectively worth the money. But about not judging others for expressing its too expensive for them. It’s subjective. 

The car might be cheap at 1k but if you don’t have a license it doesn’t add 1k it value to you. Or the starter set might be objectively a good deal. But if I don’t like painting and nobody will play Warcry against me... it won’t add €130 worth of value to me. 

But yes objectively it seems good value to me as well 

• Like 3

Just now, Bjornas said:

One thing - maybe I missed something, but I don't see anything resembling an armour save on the fighter cards? Or?

It probably has something to do with the toughness characteristic, at least that's just what I assumed.

• Like 1

Compared to other comparable products, it seems to be good value. There's nothing wrong with not having enough disposable income to afford something, even if it is good value. I'm in a privileged position in my life right now to be able to afford it. A few years ago I would never have dreamed of getting something like this. It's a luxury item. I don't think anyone was judging or looking down on people who can't afford a starter set, but it's equally as silly to complain about the price just because it doesn't meet your circumstances right now.

Seems to me like a case of people reading negative intentions into comments where it wasn't intended. Internet be like that sometimes. A lot of people feel on guard all the time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JPjr said:

No you’re supposed to think it’s a light hearted throwaway quip and move on with your life.

This. No ones's going to give two ****** what faction someone's playing as long as they're playing the game and it's legal anyways

1 hour ago, Dirtnaps said:

Personally I don't think it's phrased nastily, it's obviously supposed to be a joke (albeit one that falls flat with me tbh). I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Considering as well that he then jokes about being instantly converted to WAAAGHcry, it's definitely got no nastiness to it.

That list of units looks pretty plausible. If it's real, I'm glad that the stormcast involvement is limited to the vanguard units, more thematically appropriate to the Eightpoints. Not 100% on the Akhelian though, feels a bit odd for their floaty magic to work in the heart of the Eightpoints and for them to be the only real (squigs don't count) cavalry in the game.

You know, you could pick up a decent nighthaunt warband on ebay for not much more than £10, I think. Bits and pieces of soul wars, a few glaivewraiths and reapers. It's tempting.