Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

Well historically Undead armies have tended to fall into three broad types.

• Those led by Vampires in the form of the Vampire Counts and now two mortarchs out of LON,
  • Those led by Nagash and other Necromancers, which again is well represented by LON, and tends to unite a hodge podge of death units.
  • And Tomb Kings. Although there are still plenty of skeletons, theres nothing being sold at the moment which combines constructs, warmachines and monsters in the same way they do

By splitting out Ghouls and Ghosts into their own things they have dramatically expanded the death roster beyond those original archetypes. I'd be amazed if the flaming skull symbol isn't night haunt, but as far as the other one goes I could see it going either way. If they plan to expand on the Vampire archetype again in the future then it could be a good opportunity to show that vampires can be their own thing, rather than just part of LoN. However they might be more interested in representing their own factions, in which case the Ghouls would be a safer bet.

If the missing symbol is something new for Death then I could see them expanding another type of undead into a full faction again. Skeletons or Zombies would be the best bets, as I can't see Necromancers on their own being substantially different from what LoN can already do. Equally they could do something entirely new, such as adding Long-Legged Beasties and Things-That-go-Bump-in-the-Night to go with the Ghoulies and Ghosties.

Much as I'd love to get Tomb Kings back, it seems unlikely, but you never know I guess.

3 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

Y'all need to stop making pointless wild guesses about the winged skull, it's been mentioned already that it's the FEC icon, it's on their boxes and the tome averages about two winged skulls per page 🙄

gGJ9FzT.jpg

Awesome. I don't play Death at all so I didn't know that was the FEC symbol (and I could not find anything with my limited online searches). This means we have the two post soul wars Death BTs as Warbands. 

This has caused me to go look at the other less obvious icons. That upper left one sure looks like the belt on the Bone Splitterz Savage Orruks Morboys leader. 

Just wondering, didn't they stated that every GA is getting a BT this year post BoK, so it would mean that a new Death battletome should be happening soon right.

this could be why warcry only show 8 of the 9 non chaos forces since it could mean that third death faction is for the new battletome coming up.

I course I don't know what it could be, if it not a model heavy release it would have to be Deathrattle or Deadwalkers

On 2/18/2019 at 3:20 PM, lord_blackfang said:

Kill Team is the same sort of balance dumpster fire as any other GW game.

I suspect Underworlds is secretly outsourced to FFG or something since it's actually a real game.

Except it is not. I feel people get salty when they can’t throw together their 40k tactical squad and win every mission without building their list to the game or taking advantage of a third to half the rules. Here’s a hint, play with a full 20 roster. The game is balanced around the intent that you can mix out your set up from a roster depending on matchup

• Like 7

On 4/3/2019 at 8:42 PM, novakai said:

I course I don't know what it could be, if it not a model heavy release it would have to be Deathrattle or Deadwalkers

I have been thinking about this on & off, and the one thing that did occur to me that could in some way, shape or form hint at a possible new, or relaunched/redesigned, Death Battletome/Faction is the fabulous (model wise at least) WH Underworlds: Sepulchral Guard warband.

Firstly literally every single other WHU warband from both 'seasons' has been from a BT faction (or got one in the case of Skaven).

Then we know that a lot of the decisions on who gets model/time/attention is predominantly led by the design team, so obviously someone there was not just thinking about Skeletons quite some time ago but actually designing models (and great ones at that).

And right now The Sepulchral Guard are in a weird limbo as it stands as you can't actually take them in a LoN army except as allies so they're a bit stuck on their own (unless I'm getting that bit totally wrong) with a pretty underwhelming AoS warscroll.

Plus The Soul Wars book featured, reasonably prominently, a Deathrattle prince and his army so that's one in their column (of course same book did also feature a Zombie Queen so...).

- - - - - - -

Where I do have a problem fitting in Death factions into these games is their reliance on magic and especially the bringing models back after they've been wiped out mechanic that is so baked into the very essence, and so points values, of Death factions. In a smaller, tighter games like in the new WD Skirmish rules where constantly bringing back models might be off the table, so to speak, that puts them at an inherent disadvantage.

Obviously they can create special rules for them to either mitigate that or incorporate it into the game but if you just take them off-the-peg I'd have thought you'll have some issues.

• 4 weeks later...

More reveals at the Australian Championship so I thought it was worth continuing the discussion outside of the rumour thread - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/04/australian-championship-warhammer-previewgw-homepage-post-1/

So the starter is very likely going to contain the only two Warband revealed so far - the Iron Golem and Untamed Beasts. Personally liking the Iron Golem a bit more at the moment but really loving all of it.

I’m also hoping the goat-lion thing is the new Chaos Hounds. I’d like them to be a thing again.

Edited by ManlyMuppet88
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

More reveals at the Australian Championship so I thought it was worth continuing the discussion outside of the rumour thread - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/04/australian-championship-warhammer-previewgw-homepage-post-1/

So the starter is very likely going to contain the only two Warband revealed so far - the Iron Golem and Untamed Beasts. Personally liking the Iron Golem a bit more at the moment but really loving all of it.

I’m also hoping the goat-lion thing is the new Chaos Hounds. I’d like them to be a thing again.

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah I thinl it’ll only be these 2 warbands, they have suitably opposite themes. I’m dying to know more about the game already, this drip feeding is driving me nuts... I’m hoping for simple rules, a solid campaign system and a nice amount of terrain.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I feel like a proper reveal will happen at Warhammer Fest this weekend. Purely speculation but it seems like a good time to show it off in full.

Well at least at Warhammer Fest there will be dedicated Warcry seminars (not counting the potential Warcry news at the AOS Preview seminar).

Bring it on ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Well at least at Warhammer Fest there will be dedicated Warcry seminars (not counting the potential Warcry news at the AOS Preview seminar).

Bring it on ;) 

I forgot about that. It’s a painting seminar right? So we should at least get a better, fuller view of the starter set models.