Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

12 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Sorry but this is just wildly unrealistic.  Kill Team had zero new models, and that game is both fun, and popular.  Quite frankly, I think we players are fortunate enough that GW is giving AoS factions rules alone.

Except kill team didnt start with a bunch of new kits so its kind of an irrelevant comparison.

48 minutes ago, Jetengine said:

Except kill team didnt start with a bunch of new kits so its kind of an irrelevant comparison.

In what way is it an irrelevant comparison?  There are six Chaos teams for War Cry, which means six new kits.  Are people really postulating that the nine Chaos factions will ALSO get new kits?  I get that this is a big new IP, but fifteen new kits?  No way.

If Kill Team was released with zero new kits, and that was a huge success, why do we think that War Cry will be released with more than the six kits we can logically surmise? 

Edited by mikethefish

50 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

In what way is it an irrelevant comparison?  There are six Chaos teams for War Cry, which means six new kits.  Are people really postulating that the nine Chaos factions will ALSO get new kits?  I get that this is a big new IP, but fifteen new kits?  No way.

If Kill Team was released with zero new kits, and that was a huge success, why do we think that War Cry will be released with more than the six kits we can logically surmise? 

@Thomas Lyons  told me on Twitter that GW did not stated that they will all be new sculpts, but the way they presented Warcry at Acon seemed to implied that.

Not that it is an absolute truth, but Thom seems to think that it was ambiguous enough to hope.

• Like 1

Regarding the 8-9 existing factions. If GW indeed support the game like Kill Team, we can hope as mentioned to get boxsets of existing units with at least a new  plastic character.

I'm still not convinced the symbol top right is Stormcast. The other symbols are all already associated with an existing race, but this one, while clearly Azyrite, never was shown to represent the Stromcast faction : not on the SCE kits boxes, not in the Battletome, not on dice, even not on the Firestorm campaign rosters.

SO to me that means this symbol refers to the Devoted Of Sigmar : they would fit the skirmish scales better than Stormcast, and the lone lightning bolt makes me think of the Excelsior Warpriest robes design.

• Like 2

@HorticulusTGA good shout. Though TBH I would be amazed if it’s not SCE,  it would be cool and different to with Devoted but as I’m also pretty sure the non-chaos factions will, at least to begin with, be made up of existing models I think that rules that out.

And really if they were bringing out new models for these warbands then I’m pretty sure we’d be getting new Stormcast of some stripe (my ****** bad bet would probably be on scout/reiver types). 

Also let’s face it, if this is going to be a major new system for GW they’re not going to ignore the main protagonists, no matter how much a few people online moan about them.

The one that really interests me is the missing icon, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t just left out for aesthetic reasons. Likewise I think it’s for a Death faction, and whilst we have 3 Death factions available to fill the slots you have to think there’s a reason they’re leaving one mysterious.

You have to think at some point Skeletons or Zombies are due a redo, could be pointing to that. Or just something totally new.

Just now, Hoseman said:

Maybe the missing icon is for dwarfs... we have orcs, goblins, maybe oggors, aelfs, humans, undeads... but theres no dwarfs

well we are assuming that each GA has three army each in Warcry and death look like it only has two icon on the poster

I'm not panicking about any subfactions not being there from the start... These are the bands who will be there day 1. 

Nothing stops them from adding in anything at a later date. 

Maybe LoN isn't there day 1... I could see that happen, as they are massively hero focused and killteam also launched without any proper HQ heroes. Sounds like an expansion waiting to happen with LoN if they do that. 

A big thing that could determine the available factions at the start, and this could especially be the case with Death, will be how the game handles magic which in a small model, melee focused game could be problematic.

The fact that I can't just walk into my local GW store and impulse buy some Devoted of Sigmar (or really any Freepeople models as well) is another reason why I can't see the lightning icon warband being anything other than Stormcast. Unless they are planning on reboxing those models and putting them on the shelf GW would be walking away from the impulse buy (which I suspect would be a strong market for this kind of product)

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

The fact that I can't just walk into my local GW store and impulse buy some Devoted of Sigmar (or really any Freepeople models as well) is another reason why I can't see the lightning icon warband being anything other than Stormcast. Unless they are planning on reboxing those models and putting them on the shelf GW would be walking away from the impulse buy (which I suspect would be a strong market for this kind of product)

That's true but we don't know the time frame of when they're releasing this, could be that between now and whenever that is they've released Free Peoples/Devoted of Sigmar or they could do it shortly after Warcry's release.

4 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

That's true but we don't know the time frame of when they're releasing this, could be that between now and whenever that is they've released Free Peoples/Devoted of Sigmar or they could do it shortly after Warcry's release.

That they might. I would still expect Stormcast to be part of the warband in some fashion. They are just too much of the icons of order for AoS not to be in the rules. 

What I am honestly wanting to see is a mixed followers of Sigmar warband that lets you use Stormcast as an elite option, and mix in some of those Devoted of Sigmar models as additional options. (The lightning definitely makes it seem like Sigmar instead of a more generic Free Peoples.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The biggest question is what is the missing symbol Warband? Right now we have three order (the questionable sigmar, the Dok, and the Idonet), three destruction (the questionable bonesplitters/ogors, Gloomspite, and a defeinite ork warband), and two Death (FEC/Soulblight and what I would assume is Nighthaunt). I've seen several discussions online that suggest the missing faction will be Death related. This would give each non chaos GA three warbands. The other question is why didn't they show the warband symbol. If I would guess it would have to be related to a "new" battletome that is yet to be announced that will recombine old minis into a new faction in a manner similar to Gloomspite. 

16 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

I would guess it would have to be related to a "new" battletome that is yet to be announced that will recombine old minis into a new faction in a manner similar to Gloomspite. 

This is the direction I reckon they're going to take but if each GA does actually get three warbands and whatever that new faction is does combine old minis, what could they do this with for death? I can't really see that happening with Tomb Kings as much as I want it too so my guess is the next best thing and that's Deathrattle, they're in the perfect position for expansion AoS proper wise and they're the backbone of any LoN army.

13 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

This is the direction I reckon they're going to take but if each GA does actually get three warbands and whatever that new faction is does combine old minis, what could they do this with for death? I can't really see that happening with Tomb Kings as much as I want it too so my guess is the next best thing and that's Deathrattle, they're in the perfect position for expansion AoS proper wise and they're the backbone of any LoN army.

Knowing very little about the Death GA, I don't see a revamped Tomb Kings as being completely insane, but I do agree it is unlikely.  The problem with Death lorewise for me is that they are too organized/connected. Right now Death only seems to have three battletomes, LoN, FEC, and Night Haunt. Ghostly flame skull is almost dead certain to be a ghostly army (and they are part of the new hotness). The fanged skull screams vampires which as far as I can tell is LoN only. That's two of the three Death BTs right off the bat. If the FEC is included in the fanged skull, then things are all wide open for who knows what. A small tomb king revamp/whole new army with a few key heroes as new kits combined with a reboxed skeletons box doesn't feel too outlandish. 

1 hour ago, CitizenX said:

The biggest question is what is the missing symbol Warband? Right now we have three order (the questionable sigmar, the Dok, and the Idonet), three destruction (the questionable bonesplitters/ogors, Gloomspite, and a defeinite ork warband), and two Death (FEC/Soulblight and what I would assume is Nighthaunt). I've seen several discussions online that suggest the missing faction will be Death related. This would give each non chaos GA three warbands. The other question is why didn't they show the warband symbol. If I would guess it would have to be related to a "new" battletome that is yet to be announced that will recombine old minis into a new faction in a manner similar to Gloomspite. 

It's a good question. Are we certain they said 9 in the presentation? That it's not a weird typo on the community page?