• Starstrike
    • Scorched Earth
    • Total Commitment
    • Focal Points
    • The Better Part of Valour
    • Shifting Objectives
    • Places of Arcane Power
    • The Relocation Orb

Inspired by @Ben's question about Better Part of Valour I got curious: What's your favourite scenario? No wrong answer possible.

And let us know why! 

For me it's gotta be Relocation Orb. I get that's a bit of a crabshoot but it's always fun. It requires both anticipation and the ability to react. You need to be able to block, and you need to be able to move. In no other battleplan do I need so much time to decide going first or second. 
I love it, never had a bad game with it that wasn't fun. 

• Like 3

I am a big fan of Starstrike. It has a good narrative storyline and the somewhat random nature of the objective generation forces you to adapt tactics on the fly during the game.  (note I prefer it over  Gifts From The Heavens, as I see Starstrike as just a better version of the same type of scenario). I like this one so much that I painted up some of the Stormcast Endless Spell comets to be the objectives just for this scenario.

Edited by TheWilddog
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I’m a huge fan of all of the scenarios.

But border wars just beats them all when it comes down to tactical deployment and movement, which is probaly why I really love it.

you really have to think in how you can gain more victory points then your enemy or have to counter deploy and/or move somehow towards that unit to deny those points.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m a huge fan of all of the scenarios.

But border wars just beats them all when it comes down to tactical deployment and movement, which is probaly why I really love it.

you really have to think in how you can gain more victory points then your enemy or have to counter deploy and/or move somehow towards that unit to deny those points.

Good one, I almost never play Border Wars (doesnt help it's in the Core Rules meaning looking it up digital). Next game! 

@SwampHeart, @TheWilddog, @Nacnudllah Is one of my favourites as well. 

After Starstrike, my favorite is Scorched Earth. After it was fixed to stop the turn one burning objectives issue, I have really come to enjoy this one. With all the movement shenanigans AOS armies have, this scenario provides a great decision tension with the hold/burn objective choice.  I have had many a game decided on me having burned or not burned an objective when the other choice in hindsight turned out better.  Also I think this one has a good narrative side as well, as you can come up with numerous easy narrative stories that revolve around two armies fighting over some resources that can be destroyed. 

• Like 3

To be clear I haven't played most of the scenarios, but from my small sample size Scorched Earth has been really fun. Figuring out which turn to burn the objective or just continue to sit on it. Also, like @wilddog said the varying movement speeds of armies and the fact that most of these scenarios are detrimental to armies who are too static make it really fun and engaging most of the time, unless your on the receiving end of a blob of witches buffed to hell lmao. 

2 hours ago, dillonjay21 said:

unless your on the receiving end of a blob of witches buffed to hell lmao. 

That's never fun... says even the DoK player in me 😂

Yeah scorched earth was really improved and quite fun. But in our limited meta it really hinders the players without deepstriking capabilities to the point we don't really play it anymore. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Karragon said:

Blood and Glory for me, it's very much an all or nothing scenario. You either crush them utterly or you don't win.

Haha that’s exactly why I didn’t like it last two times we rolled it ;) (was on the utterly crushed side I must admit) 

Focal points for me. I think it's the best designed, benefitting most army types (you can brawl in the middle, or try to flank and get multiple objectives, or sit back on a couple and shoot until you clear, etc) and just has a lot of fun play involved with it. 

I enjoy Relocation Orb and Scorched Earth, but I tend not to like them when it comes to tournament play. I dislike missions with too much randomness - while Gift From The Heavens and Starstrike are random in landing, you at least know where they might come down, they don't move, and you know the scoring. Random number scoring and random movement are pretty iffy for me when I go to an event.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, Kramer said:

Inspired by @Ben's question about Better Part of Valour I got curious: What's your favourite scenario? No wrong answer possible.

And let us know why! 

For me it's gotta be Relocation Orb. I get that's a bit of a crabshoot but it's always fun. It requires both anticipation and the ability to react. You need to be able to block, and you need to be able to move. In no other battleplan do I need so much time to decide going first or second. 
I love it, never had a bad game with it that wasn't fun. 

How can anyones favourite mission be bpov. It's hideously imbalanced

I really like the variety of missions in AOS and actually really like the duality of death and three places of power missions. Some armies have a natural advantage, looking at you morathi and sylvaneth, but once you get passed that, the concept of putting your heroes on the front line to hold something is pretty neat. 

13 hours ago, Darkrich said:

I really like the variety of missions in AOS and actually really like the duality of death and three places of power missions. Some armies have a natural advantage, looking at you morathi and sylvaneth, but once you get passed that, the concept of putting your heroes on the front line to hold something is pretty neat. 

Hmm never thought of it that way. 👍

I like Starstike for the unpredictability and crazy landings that can happen. My one problem with it is that I play Dispossessed so I have the Disadvantage on most objective games. One of the memorable moments I had playing Starstrike was that when we set up the board, we had a large hill in the center. When we rolled to see what kind of terrain it was, it turned out to be deadly. It just so happens that was exactly where the center objective landed. The center objective battle was clan rats vs dispossessed warriors while each respective warlord watched just outside of the terrain range not daring to risk taking damage before a duel.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/31/2020 at 5:12 AM, nels1031 said:

Shifting Objectives for me. I prefer alot of the scenarios that have some element of randomness to them.

I set up the same poll for this ghb recently but I’d hate to tell you... the above results where regarding ghb 2018 😅