Nighthaunt 1000 point Competitve

Boedighw

Hello, first post here. Looking at a fairly competitive list with my nighthaunt, have always played for fun, but would like to not get my face beat in. 

LEADERS
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Spirit Drain
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Beacon of Nagashizzar
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Lifestealer
Vampire Lord (140) - Allies
- Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires : Amaranthine Orb
UNITS
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

1000 Point, 71 Wounds

The plan is for the Harrow to be able to zip around and return D3 with the Command Trait. I have 3 wizards which will help control the magic phase, hoping to be able to use the Mortal Wound type spells as our "Shooting". 

Last, the units have lots of bodies on the table. The Hordes have consistently survived and kicked some butt in my current games with the Soul Wars starter set. 

The current alternate is to change out the Vampire for a unit of Ghrimghast Reapers, but the Vampire can +1 Attack a unit so I feel like it will get more use. 

Last, does this list make sense versus a total horde army? My first list was KOS, GOS, and tons of bodies. 

To be honest, I would go with dropping the VL for either a Spirit Torment or another unit of Grimghasts. Or, alternatively, bumping one of your Chainrasps up to 30.

Honestly though, your list really lacks any significant punch; you need something that'll be doing damage like Grims, Lady O, Bladegheists or Banshees. I mean, for example, how would your list deal with Beast Claw Raiders? Or a VLoZD from LoN? Or a buffed up horde of Sisters? 

Ask yourself; what will this unit be doing in play?

Undeadly 

Great points, and I thought that myself. How do you get a punch in a 1000 point army while still retaining bodies to capture objectives? Lady O would be 25% of my army, or two of my current hero slots.

My only answer right now is to tarpit them long enough, so please suggest as I'm still buying models.

Last, for a 1000 point of stormcast I leave the evocators at home and bring sequitors for point vs return. The grimghast are good, but I just don't seem to have luck with them. Do they punch harder then 20 chainrapst?

Last, dropping the VL I liked the extra attack, but the models are not appealing to me. I can sub a KoS for same points or go Reapers.

Honestly, just go ahead and get Lady O, and drop the VL. She just puts out so much damage herself, its not even funny. Honestly, if I were to make a 1000 point army, it'd probably look like this;

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Lord Executioner (80)
- General
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Lightshard of the Harvest Moon

Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Battalions
Execution Horde (100)

Total: 920 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 44

IMO You are spreading too thin and therefore might not survive long enough to heal up, I would rather go wide and tanky, in the list I'll be posting down you have 10 chainrasp to camp on home objective, 40 + GOS to contest objectives in the middle and 9 hosts + KOS to do the fighting, that should make for a pretty grindy list with enough of bodies and MWs to play with

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether

Battleline
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 88

Archived