Sentiment about the new releases

Future

I have criticised GW in the past, I regularly do on this very forum. But when they are putting tons of effort into supporting as many factions as they can then I feel they deserve praise. FEC are getting more in this release than BoC did and they were a fully fledged WHFB army. 

I also think complaining that two undead horses look similar means lots of asset recycling is a bit unfair. GW are going for consistency of design to help with world building imo. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I think the FEC spells are all nicely thematic, The Sang Graal is right on-brand.

It's close. I'm just shocked they missed something so obvious as having two versions it: the existing bone chalice and a golden grail.

The hallucination and the macabre reality.

It would be such an easy win to have something in the entire army that actually implements the mad dualism in mechanics. But since they've seemingly tried their best not to, perhaps FEC lore is going to downplay the delusion in favour of another angle?

3 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I have criticised GW in the past, I regularly do on this very forum. But when they are putting tons of effort into supporting as many factions as they can then I feel they deserve praise. FEC are getting more in this release than BoC did and they were a fully fledged WHFB army. 

I also think complaining that two undead horses look similar means lots of asset recycling is a bit unfair. GW are going for consistency of design to help with world building imo. 

I did not make a screenshot for every single horse. It's multiples of the first. Every single piece is recycled and at best slightly changed. The only thing about this released which isn't that much recycled is the throne. 😃

@Klamm

agreed. It would have been much cooler either to only see things as the FeC see it or to have the spell halfways morph from reality into what they see

18 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

They did get the relatively new Tzaangors though which really did help BoC

Reading through all the comments, I'm wondering about something. Is it confirmed that this will be a 1 week release?

I mean. When looking at yesterdays preview article we have about 14 articles that will get ready for preorder next week (without counting statt stuff like the Carrion Empire Box and the Battletomes will be released in multiple languages). This weeks Genestealer Cult Preorder has about the same amount of articles (12-14 without counting the multiple languages of the Codex).

We have the Carrion Empire Box

Battletome, Terrain, Endless Spells, Cards and Dice for Skaven

Battletome, Terrain, Endless Spells, Cards for Flesheater Courts

second Release Wave for Genestealer Cult with 2 Boxes/Clampacks.

That is actually a lot of stuff for one week.

Rebasing and/or bringing new models for skaven could possibly fill one too.

3 hours ago, novakai said:

I think the FEC side is where it mostly coming from (come on at least give them new dice what is up with that)

Well not really no. Just speaking for myself, I've been collecting FEC since they were first released and I'm really happy to have my army back on track.

Because when you play this army, you really feel it was not designed with today's standards and it's pretty hard to keep up against more recent BT.

Of course I would've prefered having new models, but hey the most important thing for me is to be able to play more regularly with and army I spent many hours painting and for which I was frustrated not being in line with modern BT design.

And I bet I'm not the only one. With all due respect and seing all of your posts, I have the feeling that you and @JackStreicher are the ones with a kind of negative feeling (we get it, you don't like the models... which is very subjective), which is fine, but many other players are more positive regarding this release ;)

15 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Is it confirmed that this will be a 1 week release?

There is a paragraf in WH Community article about this release that leaves close to no hope for more:

You’ve got new models on the way too, in the form of the Charnel Throne terrain piece and a gruesome set of Endless Spells. A set of handy Warscroll Cards rounds out the range, ensuring that keeping track of your units is simple.

People lets not forget many 40K armies got NOTHING with their new codex updates. Some armies got more than others that's the way it is at present. GW is MORE committed to getting Battletomes out than they are models for all armies. And that's a good thing. If all armies had to wait for a big model injection it might be 2 years before we saw either of these Battletomes release. Yep if you want more models the lag time gets longer and I'd personally prefer the Battletomes out sooner rather than later.

GW can easily add more models in those 2 years and add the rules and updated battalions and such. The Battletomes can be expanded upon. Getting them out there is the critical part because without a Battletome armies won't sell anywhere near as well as they should and those hwo have collections might sit on the fence for ages. You can be in the time since Carrion Empire wentout that more people have started skaven armies - esp Skaven armies that are not just Pestilens. Now since this new Tome has been announced you can bet many will be ready to start Clans of all kinds and start Skaven armies. Sure even without new models there's still a lot of army to pick from.

As for Flesh Eaters I agree they could do with more; but look at Daughters of Khaine. Not just similarly small in range, but also high priced (far more so) an they are doing rather well for themselves. 

The key is a commitment to getting armies Battletomed up and selling then GW can do a later second sweep and release more models and updates. There's just no practical way for GW to give every single army a big update - some are going to get smaller ones. That's inevitable. 

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Overall the FeC things are hastily put together kits, which really weren‘t needed. The whole release has two cool models: The Archregent and the zombie-horse stampede.

the rest really does either not make sense or looks like an intern merged some old sculpts.

they should have stuck with „new BT and the Archregent“. And I would have been a bit dissappointed but pleased.

This way I am feeling exploited by bad, unneeded, ugly endless spells and a non-sense throne of bones upon half of a wall with a tiny stairway which appears to be located in a Morrs garden.

If they give us sth. They should do it right and not cheap.

I like the wall... should I feel bad now? 

1 minute ago, Overread said:

As for Flesh Eaters I agree they could do with more; but look at Daughters of Khaine. Not just similarly small in range, but also high priced (far more so) an they are doing rather well for themselves. 

I don't really have the feeling that FEC are that expensive. In my humble opinion, they have one of the better start collecting because you can just buy so many of them and end with many many different builds and units.

Which unfortunately is not the case for the angry dudettes 😛

1 minute ago, Ghark said:

I don't really have the feeling that FEC are that expensive. In my humble opinion, they have one of the better start collecting because you can just buy so many of them and end with many many different builds and units.

Which unfortunately is not the case for the angry dudettes 😛

Aye its DoK that are overpriced on troops - FEC should be even more fine as an army as they are similarly as varied in models but cheaper to collect. :)

Also when it comes to recycling assests there's two angles to consider and one is that if we are seeing designs of buildings and structures that share common themes then GW is reinforcing that all the races exist within one world. Something many have complained about being hard to have in a realm system. So seeing the same design of wall; seeing the same breed of horse (heck lets face it most armies from oldhammer have near identical horses and horse structure - of the dozens of races and peoples they all had one horse breed); these are not necessarily bad things. 

It's nice to see recycling in the AoS setting! Death factions sharing resources. Clearly the once living horses had their corpses taken by the Flesh Eaters whilst their eternal ghosts were taken by Nagash for his Coach. A perfect sign of the modern world of the Realms where no part of any dead body - spirit or flesh - is wasted. :)

53 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I like the wall... should I feel bad now? 

33 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Perhaps 😉

I never thought of Pelosi as a Ghoul before...

Spoiler

Couldn't resist, it's all this wall talk :P If this is out of line for TGA, let me know. 

9 hours ago, Future said:

That is largely how I feel about seraphon. I love the models even the old ones. Some of the rules interactions are bad, no spell lore etc. 'Just a new battletome' is all I want to make them a great 2.0 army. I would rather see what comes from GW in terms of new factions than have them spend 3 years giving us a couple of models for the older factions. All the new model lines have been stunning so far and I feel very positive about the future of the game.

Those of us that play older factions made that choice intentionally.

Serephon have such a huge selection of units tho. Sure some need updating but it isn't as much as skaven. Half their stuff is metal 

It really saddens me to see the amount of 'If I don't get everything I want exactly the way I want it then I hate it' in this thread. I really feel like there is no possible scenario for GW to win this one. If they wait to put out a Skaven Battletome until they can support it with a full new model range (ala GSG) then people will complain that they're having to play an army without a tome for however long that takes. So instead they do for Skaven what they did for BoC and provide atleast a tome to get you into 'modern' AoS and they're lambasted for having a lazy release and not caring about the army. 

People do realize GW is still really behind in their manufacturing and production capacity right? They aren't keeping stuff out of stock on purpose, they simply don't have the capacity to meet their demand at current. They've announced a 50,000 sqft increase at their Memphis distribution facility for example. 

I'd be all for releasing all books in a format that is competitive so that there are not bottom tier factions any longer.  That would take off pressure from me having to buy and have commission painted new armies once or twice a year.

Then they can do new models and update model lines on a more even cycle to keep all factions competitively viable.

I'm happy that FEC is getting a new model and battletome (love the lore even though I don't play them)

Really really dislike the endless spells and terrain approach for AOS 2.0.    Honestly if they sold endless spells as single models I would be ok with it, but the current process of buy 3 (or more) even if you only want one of them.. Not cool.  Plus I find the predatory thing to be unfun.

As for terrain, seriously I find it once again unfun.  Oh so now both armies put down terrain more things to keep track of, more things to cart around.  Some of them are just not fun effects.

If endless spells and terrain had been replaced by models/units I think you wouldn't see any negativity 

4 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

I'd be all for releasing all books in a format that is competitive so that there are not bottom tier factions any longer.  That would take off pressure from me having to buy and have commission painted new armies once or twice a year.

Then they can do new models and update model lines on a more even cycle to keep all factions competitively viable.

Off topic: just wondering how many and what armies you changed in pursuit of winning?

Archived