The New Skaven Battletome, Terrain, Model & eSpells!

Major

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Yeah, I’m still buying 5 though. A 5-model objective capturing unit for 60 points is dynamite. 

By the way, the warp lightning storm endless spells can’t actually immobilise anything on a normal-ish base size. The 7” equilateral triangle set-up sees to that

You are correct. You can't landlock a stardrake anyways, or anything that can fly for that matter. However, I mentioned the Soulsnare Shackles, those are what immobilizes (physically) the movement of any single model. With 6" max separation between all of them and you have complete control of placement, you can put a triangle of models up against the target in such a way that they can't move. That's when the warp comes in. The target outright takes mortal wounds  every turn till it dies or gets one of them dispelled. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Nightcast Eternal said:

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Mostly I've just seen "Let's hate on a release that we haven't even gotten yet"... annoying really.

I think some of the complaints on the first page of this thread, several of which were actually from the same person if you actually look at the names, helped create an impression that the number of skaven players angry about the release was larger than it really is.

55 minutes ago, Vaeron said:

I think some of the complaints on the first page of this thread, several of which were actually from the same person if you actually look at the names, helped create an impression that the number of skaven players angry about the release was larger than it really is.

I’m not sure if hate is the right definition, It seemed to me like that most people (including myself) where well very to a bit disappointed.

Afterall most of us where well expecting to get at least some kind of upgrades for all of those finecast and metal miniature.

But in the end the battletome seems to be a much needed update. And if I had the choice of waiting another 3-4 years or getting the book more or less now, I’d rather take a book than having to wait. 

Also from what we have seen, the book offers us great rules that fit perfectly with the skaven fluff.

So next to beeing a bit disappointed, I’m very happy.

I'm curious about the war scroll changes, but the links are still broken :(

As someone who hasn't seen much of the old Skaven stuff up close, I was looking forward to 360 views on some of the models but it doesn't look like we have that either, which is odd. But going off of the current images, it's funny how my opinion on some of the out of date metal sculpts have both improved and lessened. 

Have you seen the pics of the Skryre Acolytes? 

Spoiler

99060206007_SKASkryreAcolytes02.jpg

Background model: pre-Duncan. Foreground two: post- Duncan.

I'm surprised just how good they look. The mask probably helps, else they might have the Aardman face of the Gutter Runners.  Still absurdly expensive to buy, though. On the other hand, I can scarcely believe GW is still selling:

Spoiler

99060206058_SKARatlingGun01.jpg

I don't mean to be negative, only critical. It is a happy day for the rats, albeit one marred with more aged baggage than we should reasonably expect.  We can criticize many factions for having egregiously outdated models (Vargulf, Sabretusks, Wardokk to name a few), but it feels like Skaven have more than their fair share.  And, when MANTIC has better Rat Ogor sculpts than GW...

Spoiler

5448.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

I mean, style is subjective, so fair enough if you don't like the armoured look, but let's appreciate that it's at least debatable. Then compare Mantic's abyssal range with AoS Demons and tell me THAT is debatable :P

But luckily there are solutions for hobbyists. The Skaven Bloodbowl team can fill in for the janky night runners, and you can always convert Stormfiends to be rat ogors. 

So overall, the release is a weird mix of some of the WORST old kits around (Warlock engineers, runners, Ogors etc.) and some of the BEST LOOKING outdated metal kits (the Arch Warlock, Warpgrinder, Skryre Acolytes). Skaven, always the exception, huh? 

Archived