The New Skaven Battletome, Terrain, Model & eSpells!

Major

5 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I'll counter with my own prediction:

Stronger than ever baby! We've been clawing for scraps for years, punching far above our weight class through sheer stubborness and pushing what little we've had as far as possible. Over-analyzing every aspect of skavendom back and forth, in and out.

It doesn't matter how well the new book will perform in the hands of a generic player. Skaven players will suddenly find themselves equipped with actual weapons of power, as opposed to the wet sponges they're used to - and that is a terrifying prospect all on its own.

We can only go up ;)

Agree...The thoughts of board controlling, teleporting, multiple allegiances that work together, spell lores, updated warscrolls, a ton of battalions...its scary. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mayple said:

I'll counter with my own prediction:

Stronger than ever baby! We've been clawing for scraps for years, punching far above our weight class through sheer stubborness and pushing what little we've had as far as possible. Over-analyzing every aspect of skavendom back and forth, in and out.

It doesn't matter how well the new book will perform in the hands of a generic player. Skaven players will suddenly find themselves equipped with actual weapons of power, as opposed to the wet sponges they're used to - and that is a terrifying prospect all on its own.

We can only go up ;)

Yes-yes,

we will scurry-rise!!

edit: (and finaly I may be able to just field a battalion with stormvermin and clanrats, the one thing I always wanted)

9 hours ago, Major said:

AUSTRALIAN PRICES:

CLANRATS (REPACKAGE)   55
CARRION EMPIRE   265
BATTLETOME: SKAVEN   70
BATTLETOME: FLESH-EATER COURTS   70
ENDLESS SPELLS: SKAVEN   55
SKAVEN DICE   49
SKAVEN GNAWHOLE   90
ENDLESS SPELLS: FLESH-EATER COURTS   55
FLESH-EATER COURTS CHARNEL THRONE   60

I won't spend time moaning but I will say this, the price gouging in Australia and New Zealand needs to stop. Thanks to GW greed I've seen more chinacast hitting tables than ever before.

I just plain can’t afford the hobby any more. Now I just silently wishlist and lurk on forums haha. 

19 hours ago, Num said:

What about a Balewind Vortex 1" from a Gnawhole?? +2 to spell casting. Do you think we can teleport the wizard along with its baleqind vortex through the Gnawhole?

Well, the spellcasting side was covered, but there is sime neat interaction between vortex and gnawholes that I see:

The hole is a scenery, if you'll be able to fit vortex on top of it then you can grab +2 to your save rolls, 1 from vortex and 1 from cover!

12 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Let me hit ya with some knowledge. 

Anybody here already try land-locking heroes or monsters with Shackles? Well guess what. Lock 'em in, then surround them in the Warplightning Vortex. Target eliminated (pending a pesky dispel). 

That vermintide is so great because of how slow it moves AND how huge the base is. Imagine  having it on your front line with your clanrats just barely cropping out to the sides of it. When your opponent charges you with numbers, you've mitigated how many models pile in. When its your turn to move the clanrats you can free roam around it. Also, if you cast it near the majority of your forces, the likely-hood of your opponent being able to move it at all at top of round is close to nill. 

The Bell single-handily free-frees up our dependence of Crown of Conquest while also freeing up an artifact slot. Now we'll be avoiding Grand Alliance chaos altogether and so this endless spell makes me confident moving forward concerning battleshock. Mind you its not perfect (its dispel-able) but its a 26'' bubble, so heck yeah. Oh and it was commented earlier that the chance of it exploding is less than 10%, once every 10 turns, in a 5 turn game. And again, its skaven, so you should'nt care either way. 

Great post. Was just thinking how I can lock down my mate’s bully Stardrake in one fell swoop. 

Many Skaven miniatures seem back in stock, along with their new names and, I think, new pictures for some.

I don't remember the acolytes having a picture with such a modern paint scheme...

Warlords are now named Clawlords

Assassins are Deathmasters.

But no new warscrolls yet

14 minutes ago, Num said:

Many Skaven miniatures seem back in stock, along with their new names and, I think, new pictures for some.

I don't remember the acolytes having a picture with such a modern paint scheme...

And all on round/oval bases now! Interesting to see that Thanquol kept his name and is not a generic grey seer on mount.

22 minutes ago, Num said:

Warlords are now named Clawlords

Assassins are Deathmasters.

But no new warscrolls yet

There are still assassin and packamster miniatures (metal one and the rat ogor one). I think we're going to have both options - lowly packmaster and more important master moulder with different (better) abilities.

They've rebased/repainted most of them so that now everything is on round bases. 

BUT the most important thing is that Skyre Acolyes have FUR on their ARMS! Yes indeed new painted Skaven who are not bald!! Victory! 

The only things removed at the old Pestilens tome and digital ebook and the Metal Warlord mini. 

4 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

This bodes well for my warpfire thrower teams which are much newer. 

Save that GW doesn't actually sell any Warpfire throwers ;) Which bodes very badly for them. 

However it bodes well that they might well release a new weapon team pack at some point in the future which could return the other two weapon type variations to the army. 

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Everything is on round bases on the site. I hate that there is still metal models. $10 for a single metal Acolyte is poop

Yeah, I’m still buying 5 though. A 5-model objective capturing unit for 60 points is dynamite. 

By the way, the warp lightning storm endless spells can’t actually immobilise anything on a normal-ish base size. The 7” equilateral triangle set-up sees to that. Just trying it on a Stardrake and it can easily move out. Not so fussed about it now but it still looks good. 

Very happy they're reboxing every skaven with rounds, the new pictures make the metal and resin models look a lot better and enticing to buy (that acolyte paintjob looks amazing).  I'm a little surprised they didn't discontinue most of the old models...are they going to continue producing them? Also noticed clanrats aren't even on the store anymore, assuming they're getting a little more than just rounds put into their current boxes.

@SkavelynnI think GW wanted to replace most of the models but didn't have room and so decided to keep them and replace them later; rather than strip them out and reduce what skaven can do. As for clan rats I think they are just being held off so that the rebox appears newer tomorrow when it goes live; I'd doubt if there's anything new in there save the round bases.

Note one big thing that would help is if skaven (eg clan rats) got more boxes released to 3rd parties and stores. Right now a lot is still direct order only. 

4 minutes ago, Skavelynn said:

Very happy they're reboxing every skaven with rounds, the new pictures make the metal and resin models look a lot better and enticing to buy (that acolyte paintjob looks amazing).  I'm a little surprised they didn't discontinue most of the old models...are they going to continue producing them? Also noticed clanrats aren't even on the store anymore, assuming they're getting a little more than just rounds put into their current boxes.

I can tell you that they are going to be reboxed tomorrow on round bases, with an "age of sigmar" kind of box (white) for the same price (I think) :)

5 hours ago, michu said:

@bRock_320 That's because he survived the End Times. Archaon killed some other rat. 

What's the official lore on Thanquol in AoS? Has he appeared in any BL or Battltomes? I've not come across anything. 

Because if there's nothing, they might end up pulling a Maggothlord and retcon him as a mortal realms native. 

4 minutes ago, Klamm said:

What's the official lore on Thanquol in AoS? Has he appeared in any BL or Battltomes? I've not come across anything. 

Because if there's nothing, they might end up pulling a Maggothlord and retcon him as a mortal realms native. 

Fun facts, there has been nothing about thanqouls live in the age of Sigmar.

which is for such a massive foe almost inconsiderable.

Yeah, I thought as much. I've searched it out on a few occasions to make sure. So, place your bets on whether they:

1. Retcon Thanquol as a Mortal Realms native, probably with a reinterpreted backstory that involves Gotrek.
  2.  Make the  model a brand new named character (or even generic one)
  3. Nope, it's Thanquol from the Old World. He just drank enough warp-kale to keep him spry for a few thousand years and also kept his bumbling escapades secret (maybe he had a clan Eshin PR team). [Points up to Boneripper] You got-have a problem with that, man-thing?

12 minutes ago, Klamm said:

Yeah, I thought as much. I've searched it out on a few occasions to make sure. So, place your bets on whether they:

1. Retcon Thanquol as a Mortal Realms native, probably with a reinterpreted backstory that involves Gotrek.
  2.  Make the  model a brand new named character (or even generic one)
  3. Nope, it's Thanquol from the Old World. He just drank enough warp-kale to keep him spry for a few thousand years and also kept his bumbling escapades secret (maybe he had a clan Eshin PR team). [Points up to Boneripper] You got-have a problem with that, man-thing?

Or 4th, another grey seer perfectly placed died instead of thanqoul personally.

also a grey seer usually live much longer then the usual skaven, even longer then some Dwarfs. And since he has take-stolen on of the seat of thirteen, he should have had access to some kind of Essence which would quadruple his live (maybe even more).

So yeah him still existing seems to be highly possible.

31 minutes ago, Overread said:

Wait isn't there a quotation by Thanquol when he discovers that Gotrek is alive in the Realms?

I don't know if he's been mentioned by name, but there have been a number of references to the Great Grey Seer by title over the course of AoS.

A few hours until the pre-orders, one week until the end of non-rat-things!

I just want to say a big thanks to you fellow Skaven players! We've been hiding under for a while now, abandoned by GW and ignored by all. Meanwhile, we've had some really intense and passionate discussions, theorycrafting and lore-building going on here. All my posts on TGA are Skaven-related. I registered on TGA for the sole purpose of finding fellow rats to design a master plan to rule the realms of Sigmar. And here we are! Let's support each other (Skavenly speaking) and make Skaven great again!

Archived