The New Skaven Battletome, Terrain, Model & eSpells!

Major

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Vaeron said:

One of the top couple images in this morning's article was a warpthrower team.  Using a discontinued unit in promotional art would be quite the oversight.

But one I could definitely imagine them making. As I say, I will be really happy to be wrong, as I have warpfire throwers and poison wind mortars...

GW has been better in sticking to "on sale" models in their art as of late; but art has always had a licence for creativity and variety outside of the armies. You see unique looking heroes; unique weapons, warriors, beasties, themes etc... There's always stuff in the art that will never make it into models. Same as how there are factions and monsters in the Lore and BL books that never make it into the tabletop. 

4 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

As I say, I will be really happy to be wrong, as I have warpfire throwers and poison wind mortars...

The honest truth is I’ve been putting spare Stormfiend parts on the end of the Wind Mortar barrels (ie the rattling cannon and the warp grinder drill) to proxy gunners and warpginders, cuz I don’t want to buy  the actual models. But I would count Warpfire teams as a serious loss if they actually disappeared. Like I said, though, that art makes me pretty sure they’re still around.

I have 9 mortars ... I bought them to abuse the warpstone sparks rule. I managed to abuse it once (almost wiping a beastclaw army with it) until it got nerfed...

5 of them I split (the "ball-bearer" and the "mortar-bearer") and put on a special base so I can either use the models separately ("ball-bearers" as acolytes) on 25mm base, or together on some sort of cavalry base.

One I converted into a warp-grinder team (sorry about the picture quality)....

IMG_20181026_005213.jpg.b8092225c761223f1782b4fd9cde5f42.jpg

Please please put them in the book so I can make mortars great again

Also mortars is an anagram of RAT MORS. Coincidence? I don't think so

16 hours ago, Major said:

GW Community Facebook Page has confirmed the Skaven battletome will contain rules for all models "the sell"... So no more poisonwind mortar and maybe the warp fire thrower (this one I did see bits of in the artwork though so 50/50?) Is a trimmed line of models worth it thought for a great new Skaventide book bringing the whole family back together and making Skaven more relevant in AoS? I mean I am not sure I would moan too much. Sure, I have half a dozen or more mortars and the same again with warpfire throwers but I also went through worse with my Empire, my Bretonnians and my TK's sooooo, seems ok?

i think that they will reveal a start collecting box for skaven like they did with beasts of chaos with island of blood models into

at least

3 hours ago, calcysimon said:

i think that they will reveal a start collecting box for skaven like they did with beasts of chaos with island of blood models into

at least

That would be a pretty bad deal, given that Spire of Dawn was cheaper then a Start Collecting. 

If they were going to use the models they'd appear in the marketing photos. They've clearly shown old ogres and packmasters (and the neat metal one). I think that Skaven and Flesh Eaters are simply fitting in when GW could bulk order everything overseas ( Terrain, Endless Spells and books are all China/overseas production). Even if they've got new stuff lined up for both armies its likely stuck waiting to get approval and a slot in production. 

On 2/3/2019 at 10:26 PM, Throt the Unclean said:

Dice: Can anyone explain what the black is supposed to be? It’s all chunky and chipped. lol I’m just dumbfounded that they missed the obvious opportunity to make warp stone dice. lmao I mean someone needs to get fired for that oversight. 

It's warpstone in rock. The black is rock, it's not very hard to see. 

The thing with this book is that it is bringing Skaven back together. So far all the images are mostly Skryer so it makes me wonder how they are bringing in the other clans and what treatment they will get. Most of the discussion so far has been based n Skryer units as well but GW are joining numerous clans so what does that look like, what of their command and allegiance abilities etc?

So many questions, adn what still feels like an eternity to find out! lol

1 hour ago, Major said:

The thing with this book is that it is bringing Skaven back together. So far all the images are mostly Skryer so it makes me wonder how they are bringing in the other clans and what treatment they will get. Most of the discussion so far has been based n Skryer units as well but GW are joining numerous clans so what does that look like, what of their command and allegiance abilities etc?

Same, I’m still mostly wondering, if we only have 1type of Skaven Warlord with only 1option available in the new book, or if we’ll be getting something similar like the Gloomspite Gitz, where every loonboss with different weapon etc. Option had its own warscroll and point-cost.

There were some complaints about the leaked prices of the gnawholes, but I just realized something.

AoSSkaven-Feb5-SkavenBattleshot11ao.jpg

We actually see one gnawholes on the right. Its base size seems similar to Thanquol's, and it is half Thanquol's height... And you don't get one in the box, but three!

I'm sure that it would look massive and scary on the battlefield. I'm definitely going to get some!

37 minutes ago, Num said:

There were some complaints about the leaked prices of the gnawholes, but I just realized something.

We actually see one gnawholes on the right. Its base size seems similar to Thanquol's, and it is half Thanquol's height... And you don't get one in the box, but three!

I'm sure that it would look massive and scary on the battlefield. I'm definitely going to get some!

Will be interesting to see if they are required to play the game effectively. 

6 hours ago, Major said:

I think its mostly Skyre because they've got all the big shiny toys. 

• Pestilens has hogged the marketing for ages because they had the only Battletome out, so they don't "need" the marketing
  • Moulder has a lot of very old metal and old plastic models. Old Rat ogres, old pack masters, old giant rats; its just not as modern nor impressive. Plus it relies VERY heavily on swarms and whilst that can be attractive lets not forget how many steered far away from skaven in Fantasy because you needed a bazzillion skaven slaves to make the army work. The only impressive thing they've got are the hulking abominations which do feature in the marketing. 
  • Eshin just hasn't got much and everything its got is on the old side. They just don't look impressive as an army right now, barring their assassin leaders
  • Verminus is possibly the least individual since its basically just clanrats and stormvermin (more basic rat troops). It's impressive models are in leaders and mostly in FW leaders. 
  • Masterclan is mostly just Verminlords
  • Skyre has doom wheels and bells and cannon and stormfiends - all big fairly modern impressive warpstone littered models. Many of them highly iconic to the faction and, because they are modern and plastic, they are ripe to be front and centre of GWs marketing for Skaven.

It makes sense that its mostly Skyre, after pestilens its got the most up to date range of models and many of the iconic warmachines. The others are showing their age; moulder almost got it through Island of Blood but we've never seen those models again. Eshin could do with a neat duel runner kit in plastic; Verminus is just a bit on the plain side if you leave out FW models and Masterclan is mostly just somewhere they dumped the Verminlords. I fully expect that with a few new kits here and there Moulder would step up a lot and there'd be 3 powerful core armies; Eshin works great in a combined tome because its basically an ideal support for any other clan, whilst able to go it alone its rather "boring" in model terms whilst Verminus is a little bit the same, but leaves good options for FW collectors. 

Moulder would feature really well as a focus for an update of models. New packmasters, ogres and giant rats all on a kit combined with perhaps the weapon teams from skyre (who fit nicely into supporting a faction full of rats and swarms). So perhaps in a few months or year we'll see a big Moulder focused set of photos with some updated models and such. 

54 minutes ago, Overread said:

Eshin just hasn't got much and everything its got is on the old side. They just don't look impressive as an army right now, barring their assassin leaders

Nightrunners just look like godlike screening troops to me. I can't imagine building an army without them. Which makes the old kit even more of a shame.

To be fair it's not that bad in person, I don't think the paint job on the GW site does them justice but they still look worse than converted clanrates :(

I have no dog in this fight (I don't play Skaven), but there seems to be a lot of talking past each other on this thread and the "complianing about the complaining" seems a little harsh in some cases...:

• Skaven people who prioritise competitiveness/gaming over the hobby will love the fact that they have a book (or at least judge the release after reading said book), and won't care much about the lack of new models.
  • Skaven people who prioritise hobby over competitiveness/gaming will hate the fact that there is only one new model, and little evidence of any more in the pipeline. Plus, should this release indeed not have any new models, it is likely that this will be the case for quite a long time as it would make sense to release any planned models alongside this book release.

Also, the BoC comparisons are unfair. Beastmen, and later Brayherd, were a fringe faction that may have even gotten the TK/Bret treatment, while Skaven are a sleeping WHFB behemoth.

The expectations are completely different.

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

Also, the BoC comparisons are unfair. Beastmen, and later Brayherd, were a fringe faction that may have even gotten the TK/Bret treatment, while Skaven are a sleeping WHFB behemoth.

BoC were just as staple a faction of WHFB as Skaven. So no the BoC comparison isn't unfair. Beasts of Chaos have been a part of chaos for a very long time and had a stand alone book for ages as well. 

1 hour ago, SwampHeart said:

BoC were just as staple a faction of WHFB as Skaven. So no the BoC comparison isn't unfair. Beasts of Chaos have been a part of chaos for a very long time and had a stand alone book for ages as well. 

Skaven are a huge GW IP by fantasy standards. They have been a key factor in nearly every big historical fantasy event, have had video games about them, have appeared in recent starter sets, and even had an End Times book in the not too distant past.

Beastmen were down near the bottom of the WHFB totem poll - alongside the likes of Brets, Wood Elves and my faction, the Tomb Kings.

People were shocked when Beasts/Brayherd were rumoured/announced last year in a kind of "well, that's random..." kind of way. That would not have been the case with Skaven. As I said, most seemed to think they were a sleeping giant that was long overdue (much like traditional elves of the light or dark variety still are).

Hell, I remember post-End Times when AoS was being rumoured as having 4 or 5 groupings - which later ended up being the four Grand Alliances - many posters on forums were guessing that Skaven would have comprised one of those factions on their own. While this is partially due to their weirdness (i.e. not really mixing with other potential factions thematically), it was also testament to their lofty status.

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight, and Beastmen were actually my second or third favourite WHFB army (after TK and, maybe, Dark Elves). However, I can't see how they could be seen as having the status as Skaven at any point during their existence.

Again, I am really surprised Skaven got no kits replaced, and can only guess that we get a whole new rat faction down the road, which has its own battletome (i.e. like the LoN/Nighthaunt situation).

Yay! I love these gnawholes. And as they claim it will have no point cost, then there is no reason not to take it... (Besides budget, at 50€...).

I still wonder which units would be best to transport through it... I guess it's too early to tell before we get the battletome.

But IMO it looks definitely better (in some ways) than teleporting through grinders and run the risk of not appearing at all...

I'm less convinced by the endless spells for now... How do you feel?

I'm going to preorder the battletome and the gnawholes for now I think.

Also do you know what the "limited edition" of the battletomes bring extra? Are they of much greater quality than the regular ones? What about the content ?

Cheers

Warp Lightning Vortex is amazing. It's the Skaven Comet or Magic Mushroom imo. And with an 8 cast (remembering that Skaven will get a +1 to cast from their Gnawholes), getting rid of it once it's down is going to be a huge pain. Just setting it up on top of an objective is enough to change the game completely imo. 

14 minutes ago, Num said:

Yay! I love these gnawholes. And as they claim it will have no point cost, then there is no reason not to take it... (Besides budget, at 50€...).

I still wonder which units would be best to transport through it... I guess it's too early to tell before we get the battletome.

But IMO it looks definitely better (in some ways) than teleporting through grinders and run the risk of not appearing at all...

I'm less convinced by the endless spells for now... How do you feel?

I'm going to preorder the battletome and the gnawholes for now I think.

Also do you know what the "limited edition" of the battletomes bring extra? Are they of much greater quality than the regular ones? What about the content ?

Cheers

I do like the bell of doom very much (both in rules and looks).

the rest not really. The Vermintide seems to be cheaply taken from the spiderfang grots, and the warpstorms just don’t really look that great (great rules though).

what I really like is the gnawholes. Since it gives us a rather nice advantage, even when not using the deepstrike rules.

just the possibility of setting up a unit of Stormvermins etc. Will give your foe something to think.

What about a Balewind Vortex 1" from a Gnawhole?? +2 to spell casting. Do you think we can teleport the wizard along with its baleqind vortex through the Gnawhole?

Knowing GW expertise in rules design, I'm sure we will plenty of shenanigans to abuse until they get FAQed :D

Archived