The New Skaven Battletome, Terrain, Model & eSpells!

Major

4 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

No room for battalions or the new fancy endless spells?

I'm not too sold on the spells as they seem to be able to backfire spectacularly, and battalions are waaay too expensive imo.

9 minutes ago, Major said:

Drop that Bombardier and a Doomwheel for an extra set of Stormfiends :P

Maaaybe, we'll see! I want to try Rocket Rat at least once!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have tried the Warpfire throws and in groups of twos they are absolutely amazing vs hordes like plaguebearers. 2 all but wiped out a unit of 30 plaguebearers leaving less than half a dozen for the clan rats in front of them to clean up. It was a glorious moment!

@Freejack02 I've always played this as changing a single die. Even so, on two dice the chance of rolling a 6 is good odds over the first 3 turns. Its an expensive entry cost at 580 points minimum (pending an additional screaming bell) but it has proven incredibly fun. Not to mention, the fateweaver gets to cast the spells of its nearby chaos wizards, i.e, the spells skaven wizards couldn't cast well themselves. I doubt many folks will bother with this but the bell's warscroll upgrades are enticing enough more people might experiment with it. 

1 hour ago, Major said:

So I have tried the Warpfire throws and in groups of twos they are absolutely amazing vs hordes like plaguebearers. 2 all but wiped out a unit of 30 plaguebearers leaving less than half a dozen for the clan rats in front of them to clean up. It was a glorious moment!

Did a test run with them against myself, and they were incredibly.

I’ll probaly use two of them against my friends seraphon next weekend.

9 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

A battaillon consisting of:

clawlord 

1-something unit’s stormvermin??

and 2-9 units of clanrats.

Thanks to the battaillon the warlords command ability gnash gnaw... will work on every unit wholly within 13 instead of just being able to pick one.

Thanks. 

Doesn't sound very useful but I assume it's probably cheap and an extra artefact and command point is nothing to sniff at. 

10 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

Thanks. 

Doesn't sound very useful but I assume it's probably cheap and an extra artefact and command point is nothing to sniff at. 

I think the guy from Guerilla miniature gaming, names the point value of each unit and battaillon. So if your interested in the book, I’d suggest to you to have a look there on YouTube.

9 hours ago, Major said:

But you’ve gotta get that unit entirely within 8” of the warpfires now rather than up to 8”, which is dicey.

Would you run them with Clanrats or Stormvermin to screen them against melee attacks; and to draw enemy units on add a rattling gun or two?

I was thinking a tight formation of 2x10 stormvermin on left and right with 2 pairs of warpfires commanding the centre (the vermin will screen against 3” pile-in threats to the warpfires); with rattlings on the flanks along with the vermin to entice and soften enemy units advancing on the warpfires. Would that work?

5 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

But you’ve gotta get that unit entirely within 8” of the warpfires now rather than up to 8”, which is dicey.

Would you run them with Clanrats or Stormvermin to screen them against melee attacks; and to draw enemy units on add a rattling gun or two?

I was thinking a tight formation of 2x10 stormvermin on left and right with 2 pairs of warpfires commanding the centre (the vermin will screen against 3” pile-in threats to the warpfires); with rattlings on the flanks along with the vermin to entice and soften enemy units advancing on the warpfires. Would that work?

I used a screen of 40Clanrats and just put the warpfire thrower directly in it.

it works wonders especially when beeing charged.

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So am I.

now I’m only hoping the enemy see-thinks the hell pit I’ll be using is a much bigger thread.

Yeah with such a small range and 3 wounds the warpfire teams will just get shot off mostly im guessing. I might lean more on Ratling Guns with a Engi to buff their dmg. Overdrive it then blow up whatever you look at. If it explodes no big deal. 70pts to kill off almost anything will be amazing 

3 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah with such a small range and 3 wounds the warpfire teams will just get shot off mostly im guessing. I might lean more on Ratling Guns with a Engi to buff their dmg. Overdrive it then blow up whatever you look at. If it explodes no big deal. 70pts to kill off almost anything will be amazing 

Thankfully, many players seem to distance themselves from the shooting Meta, so I guess you could say we still have a great unit for killing hordes 😃😀😈

20 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Thankfully, many players seem to distance themselves from the shooting Meta, so I guess you could say we still have a great unit for killing hordes 😃😀😈

Thats the cool thing with Skaven. You can have all the metas in one list. No one expects to deal with 80-120ish bodies while still dealing with very potent shooting. And now crazy magic and teleporting lol

I think it won't be all that tough to hit 2 units with the claw horde's ability. I've played deepkin with the turtle who needs everyone wholly within 12", and even after big charges it wasn't too tough to do. With skitter leap it won't be too tough to drop off your claw lord in the right spot to be in range at the START of the combat phase. 

Aside from that i think most verminous, and make skaven list will need to grab that first turn. I think we'll struggle to take back board space fast enough to catch up in points.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:12 PM, WoollyMammoth said:

For now I'm going to stay positive and assume that GW knows what they are doing and we will see a lot of great warscroll updates in the new tome. The new stuff they announced today has a lot of potential to be good. The Endless Spells and terrain has had great rules in the last sets. So far they have done a great job reinventing factions for the new world. Legions of Nagash and Beasts of Chaos did great work to modernize their factions and I expect the same for Skaven.

Hot dammmm they did it! The new warscrolls are hot! And the point changes are minimal. I mean they had to increase the Corruptor after all his buffs, so that is fair. Thanquol is finally worth is 400 now. Some things like the bell and the warpseer look to deserve point hikes yet remained the same!! Key scrolls like the Doomwheel are much better.

I am very happy with the Stormfiend treatment. now you really only need one warpfre gun. The setup looks to be Warpfire - ratling - doomflayer for a nice rounded unit for a cheaper 260pt. 

The WLC i am not overly impressed with, I don't like the mechanic. its like a couple mortals per shooting for 180 points. But if you like the unit you can commit with an engineer for a couple more. its very random but you could roll a 1 and cause like 11 mortals which is fun but its not going to happen a lot.  

Love the new shields, 5+ Clanrats and 4+ Stormvermin is very nice. 

I suuuuuuuper love the Verminlord changes. they are insane monsters for discount points costs. Can't wait to try them out on the table. 

I'm blown away by how well they combed through and actually made complete updates to the scrolls and the rule themes. They took out the cheese, which is to say the over-reliance on like 2 good scrolls in a sea of garbage. In exchange we get a massive box of fun toys and units that just work now and can all be fielded together. Honestly its all too much, its such a massive change that I can't process all this info.

21 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

The WLC i am not overly impressed with, I don't like the mechanic. its like a couple mortals per shooting for 180 points. But if you like the unit you can commit with an engineer for a couple more. its very random but you could roll a 1 and cause like 11 mortals which is fun but its not going to happen a lot.  

well so if you think about it, it's like having 2 WLC, as it double the punch power. average WLC damage is something like 3.5 mortal wounds. Doubling that to 7 mortal wounds and it can kill a hero turn 1 with no issues.  Plus it's doubling it out put for less than twice the price. 

23 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

I suuuuuuuper love the Verminlord changes. they are insane monsters for discount points costs. Can't wait to try them out on the table. 

truth

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Thats the cool thing with Skaven. You can have all the metas in one list. No one expects to deal with 80-120ish bodies while still dealing with very potent shooting. And now crazy magic and teleporting lol

And unfortunately(fortunately?) I'm having a hell of a time trying to make a singular list I could do well with.

60-120 Clanrat Tax? Check
Stormvermin? Maybe Gutter Runners instead?
1 WLC? Maybe 2? How about 6-12 Jezzails?
6+ Rat Ogors with a Master Moulder\Packmasters? How about an Abomination thrown in as well?
Thanquol + Warpseer + Screaming Bell + Arch-Warlock for a fun time with Magic...

I really can't fit everything I want\need into a 2k list and it's driving me insane... but in a good way.

Archived