The New Skaven Battletome, Terrain, Model & eSpells!

Major

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

yeah they cost way too much to be useable at max

27 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It’s a bit sad, that Stormvermins still cost 140point.

hoping it will be changed soon.

although very happy even with the nerf of some certain skaven faction.

But at 30+ +1 to hit and +1 to wound from the Allegiance ability + 1 attack per model from a Clawlord and 2" range.. they will do a lot of work. If it works, I don't know. 

(although I personally thought it was cooler when it was a we bully units with less models rule)

14 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

If those points are to be trusted, is the Grey Seer really a 2 cast 2 unbind wizard for 120  points?!? That seems incredibly cheap compared to anything else currently available for any faction, unless I'm mistaken?

Gaunt Summoner I think is equal but yeah really good

16 minutes ago, Kramer said:

But at 30+ +1 to hit and +1 to wound from the Allegiance ability + 1 attack per model from a Clawlord and 2" range.. they will do a lot of work. If it works, I don't know. 

(although I personally thought it was cooler when it was a we bully units with less models rule)

sure the buffs are great but not for that many points. they die to a stiff breeze so you would instantly loose the buffs which means you needs to max the unit to 40 and thats 500pts. literally 1/4 your points at 2k...in one unit...yeah nope

6 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Gaunt Summoner I think is equal but yeah really good

Gaunt Summoner is 180 iirc, 120 is extremely cheap for that kind of ability - especially in the current game. I'm honestly confused why they chose to buff the run-of-the-mill Grey Seer to be "powerful" though, and not something like the Arch Warlock. 

5 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Gaunt Summoner is 180 iirc, 120 is extremely cheap for that kind of ability - especially in the current game. I'm honestly confused why they chose to buff the run-of-the-mill Grey Seer to be "powerful" though, and not something like the Arch Warlock. 

180? When did that happen? Lore wise the Grey Seer was always the top top of the caster food chain. Arch-Warlocks were strong sure but only due to their tech and still never as strong as a Grey Seer. But the cool thing is now nearly every wizard casts 2 spells except for the lowly engineer

43 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

If those points are to be trusted, is the Grey Seer really a 2 cast 2 unbind wizard for 120  points?!? That seems incredibly cheap compared to anything else currently available for any faction, unless I'm mistaken?

unless he kill himself on the first casting phase 🤣

that's probably why he cost less

I was thinking about Gnawholes. I am not sure if I like them in terms of design, I think it's my least favorite army-specific terrain piece so far. Can somebody with matched play experience share how important are these for gameplay? Is it the case that since they cost 0 matched points they are absolute must have? How it was with Idoneth shipwreck or BoC herdstone? It might sound silly but I'm curious if I have to get it although I don't really like it. Are there generic army scenery pieces that can be used instead of gnawholes, just like with eSpells?

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

I was thinking about Gnawholes. I am not sure if I like them in terms of design, I think it's my least favorite army-specific terrain piece so far. Can somebody with matched play experience share how important are these for gameplay? Is it the case that since they cost 0 matched points they are absolute must have? How it was with Idoneth shipwreck or BoC herdstone? It might sound silly but I'm curious if I have to get it although I don't really like it. Are there generic army scenery pieces that can be used instead of gnawholes, just like with eSpells?

Well they give you a nifty +1 to cast and to the prayer ability.

next to that they give you a possibility of just jumping with your units around the board.

I don’t really see it necessary, since you could easily do the same thing with the warpgrinder team and that I think more efficiently, (just went over it, didn’t really read myself too much into the weapon team). But still it’s technically free and a garantier bonus to your summoning plus a screaming bell and Thanqoul personally, he could easily cast any kind of spells with a bonus’s of +4

1 minute ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Do we think that Stormfiends are still going to be good after their severe nerf? I have a small Skaven force and the next thing I was going to purchase for them were stormfiends, but now that you can’t just equip 3 pairs of warpfire projectors, are they still worth it?

Well I mean, they are proabably not bad, and I mean for 260p they still may be a good punch, but probaly more meant to slay more elite units rather than hordes of meathsields.

11 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I will get them for the +1 to cast alone since thats hard to find and all the spells seem to be 7-8 cast mostly

You need to set them up within 8 of an table edge. And all generic spells are 13”. So I’m not sure that will be the main utility. 

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well they give you a nifty +1 to cast and to the prayer ability.

next to that they give you a possibility of just jumping with your units around the board.

I don’t really see it necessary, since you could easily do the same thing with the warpgrinder team and that I think more efficiently, (just went over it, didn’t really read myself too much into the weapon team). But still it’s technically free and a garantier bonus to your summoning plus a screaming bell and Thanqoul personally, he could easily cast any kind of spells with a bonus’s of +4

Thanks. So it seems that not taking the scenery piece puts me at great disadvantage, whereas taking it provides useful benefits and has zero cost...

As someone who plays sylvaneth, I can say with confidence that the ability to jump between terrain can be game-breakingly strong. Being able to jump to table edges is also excellent, since 6inches from board edge is within range for a lot of the objectives.

However, it depends heavily on the placement rules. Do they all have to be within 8 inches of the same table edge or can you spread them around. on different edges?

Even the most restrictive all on one side, wholly within combination is still quite useful. Imagine long table edge, gnawhole 8 inches out, within 6inches puts you 14 inches up the board. You could have 9'' charges on nearly a 3rd of the board with a single unit+hero. The need for a hero within 6 inches Is a bit moot, since I think you will likely have a lot of priests/casters huddled around them for the +1.

If they can be scattered at all board edges, it actually makes me a little irritated that the skaven (and so many other factions) are getting for free what used to be sylvaneths actual army allegiance ability (unique terrain). Makes me feel like we should get some extra allegiance ability for numbers or somesuch......

28 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Table decoration🤗, maybe??

Haha crazy expensive table decoration. I already planned my stand in conversions. A well, a molehill with a periscope sticking out & a hole with some skaven crawling out of the dirt. No way that’s costing 42,5 euro 😂

Ok I think I've read most of the new material now... I'm looking forward to the theory crafting as we are basically playing a brand new army... I feel like it needs to be played with mixed clans because of the weird rule though...
The main disappointment for me is that I feel GW went too far in this redesign direction... Some units just don't have anything to do with their previous version (different spells or abilities or weapons). Some models have just plain disappeared (mortars, plague priest with time, packmaster from iob,...). I find it disrespectful for players who bought and equipped these models on purpose. I almost purchased a verminlodd warpseer a few weeks ago to summon giant rats. I almost bought warpfire bits. I bought plague priests for the debuff, mortars for the long range... Now I'm left with nice sculpts on the shelf :(

but still looking forward to the future battles!

Cheers

I'm keeping an eye on the eshin stuff. Might be some sneaky destructive tricks to pull with that, but I'll have to figure out how heroes and such qualify for their respective traits and artifacts.

Specifically how the Verminus ability to gain a command trait for each clawlord pairs up with other skaven heroes.

Mortars and Warpfire throwers were a given for being lost - GW has a strict "no model no rules" policy now* so both of those not having a model on sale were to be expected losses. That GW was kind enough to dig out and put the old Warpfire throwers back on sale is fantastic! I fully expect that if GW does a plastic weapons team kit than the mortar might well return as one of four weapon options for the plastic kit. 

Otherwise I think Skaven did really well; GW could have stripped out a lot of model models and still left the army functional. 

*which is honestly a good thing as not everyone can convert and some options were in books for years but never got an official model for them. 

20 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I remain to be convinced that separating the plastic warpfire throwers from the IoB/SoD sprue is so impossible that it's better to sell an ancient metal model, and that doing so is somehow a favour to the players.

The moulds GW uses run into £100K price brackets for plastics. Plus there's the fact that their mould production, investment money and time schedule might be such that they just can't slot them in right now. So GW had a choice, earlier Battletome and metal model for now or wait a lot longer. I figure that originally that might have been their plan, but feedback from things like Genestealer Cults and Slaanesh might be that long lag times between duel boxes and Codex/Battletomes is a negative element.

Hence why we are seeing them push out Skaven right now since Skaven CAN work without those new models and do have viable old ones. Same as why we are getting Flesh Eaters and likely the Khorne Tome next too. Slaanesh might be inevitably slower because they HAVE to pair that with new models without question.

So what we are seeing might well be that GW is reacting to one block of feedback at the cost of something else because their release and development windows are too tight. 

Note when it comes to mould GW can't just separate the parts they want out; the mould is a solid steel lump that has to be made and cast a certain way to work. They can't just cut one bit out of it to use on its own. It would require a totally new mould and form GW's point of view its likely better for them to invest in 1 "weapon team" mould than it is to invest in four separate team moulds now. Or even to have one running for the short term. 

After having had a quite nice 40k battle, today, I started reading a few of the warscrolls more carefully and patently.

This is where I then noticed how fantastic all of the verminlords got.

Every single Verminlord is able to cast two whole spells, and that’s not all, those who enjoy the privilege of a Doomglaive got the attack characteristic increased to 6 with it. And if you think it stops there, don’t worry my friend every single Masterclan keyword owning model (except the grey seer) got a 5+ shrug save against mortals and normal wounds, making it even harder to kill or big fellows.

If we have a look at the Warbrimger warscrolls, we will notice that his deathfrenzy, can be now cast to support D3 Skaventide unit’s.

D3 is already immense, but it’s no more limited to only verminus. So were able to literally just cast it one anything.

Oh see those 10Rat ogre, yeah well they You really don’t want to attack them any more.

But that’s not all. He’s finally able to deal a ton of damage, Something many of us have been waiting for ages, just great.

If we’re going to a well known more pestilential Daemonic entity, we will notice that his spell now does mortal wounds per model on a four instead of sixes, which brings his level up to that of our most hated foe the Giant summoner.

If we go a step back to a most cunningly creature known as the Warpseer, we will have the possibility to greatly increase our commandpoints pool.

Not only that but he dishes out a high range battleshock immunity, which is quite nice for us skavenplayers.

Archived