Help needed. What is the most useless terrible model in the entire AOS/fantasy range?

Laststand

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Soolong said:

That model is great, I'm thinking of turning it into a butcher with a cauldron in front.

Oh no! Think of all that feminism for nothing! That Ogor lady, broke through the glass ceiling for a life of adventure and equality. Just when she thought she would be living the dream she realised she couldn't make it. As a result she had to wear a fake beard just to be accepted. And now your BUYING that lady just to chain her to a kitchen.... 

Only good news, with that sob story she is sure to win The Voice.

EDIT: also with that rolling pin you could also lean into the sillyness and get a little bakery oven instead?

It may be a little off topic, but this has made me wonder...

What is the oldest model to still be in production? I feel like some of the older fantasy plastics have been around for as long as I've been interested in the game, and it seems as though the 40K range also has some really old models. I wonder which GW has kept in production for the longest, and what makes a model stand the test of time when others don't.

9 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

What is the oldest model to still be in production? I feel like some of the older fantasy plastics have been around for as long as I've been interested in the game, and it seems as though the 40K range also has some really old models. I wonder which GW has kept in production for the longest, and what makes a model stand the test of time when others don't.

I believe the lower part of the Eldar floating tank is from 1995 (and still look pretty good!), and the different top parts have been changed in the early 2000s. That's the oldest I know of, learned that in an unboxing of Wake the Dead box.

Jabberslythe is intentionally repulsive though, it is described as being so foul that it's sight can drive people insane and water doesn't reflect it.

I personally love it as i have a soft spot for all unusual and chaotic monsters that are not another stereotypical mythical creature 😃

For me this flesh hound looks worse than the seraphon's salamander and was still in production until Wrath and Rapture released recently.

I even removed the top frill on mine and resculpted the ears as it looked too much like the flesh hound equivalent of the "Ugly Douchess" (google at your own discretion)

UglyFleshHound.jpg

2 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'm pretty sure it's the Chaos Familiars, the tabs underneath their feet all say 1985 or 1987 if I'm recalling correctly.  As for why they're still around, I guess it's because they still look pretty good and since they aren't attached to any armies or game systems, there's no need for them to be replaced by a new box (like say, tactical marines) or retired with their game (such as all of the Mordheim models).

5 hours ago, Storm said:

I'm pretty sure it's the Chaos Familiars, the tabs underneath their feet all say 1985 or 1987 if I'm recalling correctly.  As for why they're still around, I guess it's because they still look pretty good and since they aren't attached to any armies or game systems, there's no need for them to be replaced by a new box (like say, tactical marines) or retired with their game (such as all of the Mordheim models).

Oh wow, I had no idea GW still sold these little guys! How weird - do they actually have any rules in either system? 

@robinlvalentine No rules which is a shame i think, and would be pretty easy to come up with something though. I’d drop the ‘chaos’ bit and just make them ‘magic familiars’, give a casting/unbind bonus and maybe be able to divert wounds to them from your wizard, job done.

i keep meaning to buy the 4 pack of battle-mages just to paint and I’m actually pretty tempted to buy a pack of these little critters too, they’re quite fun old school models. 

————/———

edit: good to see my record of never knowingly being right about these things is maintained. I still say my rules are better 🤪🔨

42 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

Oh wow, I had no idea GW still sold these little guys! How weird - do they actually have any rules in either system? 

Rules from the app! Don’t know about points etc but for open play you’re all set.

they used to also give +1 to cast and dispel but when mor got put in the compendiums they suffered the same fate... very bad warscroll syndrome

49593DE2-29E0-4543-945A-A85E70B610EC.png.2f51f165c123ef551bfde9b53014fa32.png

I've never quite understood why people dislike the salamanders. They've always looked fine to me although the older, dimetrodon inspired, ones are certainly more characterful. Sure they don't look like the real salamanders, or the mythical elementals,  but they are meant to be alien dinosaurs, so thats never even occurred to me as odd. Viewed on their own they might nit fit, but when you look at how they evoloved from the older sculpts, i think the design decisions might be more obvious

I've actually just ordered some chaos familiars, to use as moving objective markers for frostgrave, some really cool little characters in there!

@Verengard  Ah nah not having it, when that Steam Tank first came out it was like the clouds had parted and the hands of god himself reached down and opened up to reveal a thing of ineluctable desire.

Who could even dream of delivering enough papers to save up and own such a thing.

12 hours ago, Minis by Night said:

I believe the lower part of the Eldar floating tank is from 1995 (and still look pretty good!), and the different top parts have been changed in the early 2000s. That's the oldest I know of, learned that in an unboxing of Wake the Dead box.

Quite a bit of the Eldar range is from 90s. Ina ddition to the Falcon, at least Warp spiders, Warlocks, Vyper jetbike and the Phoenix Lords. Says something about the design that they still are pretty nice models in every sense (except for the vyper driver and gunner...)

Archived