LoonKing Arr-Durr and the Knighty Knights (Gloomspite Squig Army log)

GuitaRasmus

Hi guys - seeing the amazing new gloomspite gitz, I couldn’t help but start a new Squig themed army. 

The army will be as follows;

LEADERS

LoonKing Arr-Durr: Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)

- General

- Command Trait : Fight Another Day

Da Wizard MurrLoon on da Walking Castle: Troggoth Hag (380)

UNITS

Da Squierz: 5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

Da Uvver Squierz: 5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

Sir Gawaaagh and da Knightmares: 10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Sir Perciwaaagh and da MidKnights: 10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Da Horsies: 6 x Squig Herd (70)

3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

BEHEMOTHS

Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

BATTALIONS

Squig Rider Stampede (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

total: 2000 pts

I’ve bought, cleaned, assembled and based everything, except for the second unit of trolls and the troll hag (which will be converted from at WM/H trollbloods mountain king (on it’s way - it's gonna be cool, a shaman riding a giant stone troll to war - Merlin riding Camelot), and I’ve spent the last week trying out some different paint schemes. I have an unfortunate tendency to be way too ambitious with my painting, which results in my projects ending up infinished, so I’ve lowered my standards a bit, finding solace in the idea of “finished is a quality in itself”. 😊

Another dogma; almost every army or warband I've ever done has been muted, natural hues, not quite Blanchitzuish, but in that vein. While I think it's a great look, and I like the gritty realism:

group1.jpg

nurgletrolls.jpg

... they just don't "pop" out on the table, and I wanted to try to do that for this army - therefore I wanted to try out a really vibrant colour scheme that would go POP on the table. 

Here is the finished tester. The blue is quite quick (about 20 minutes pr squig, being mostly drybrush and washes), the teeth taking a bit longer and the green on the grot being a bit t8me consuming as well, but I’m aiming for about 40-50 minutes pr Battleline model as a goal.

022EECE0-7407-4F24-B010-A2A7F09A27F0.jpeg

I’m hoping to use this thread as a blog of my progress, so hopefully some more pics soon. 😊

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 14

Hi guys - a bit more on the Gloomspite Gitz project.

I've always liked the idea and concept of Giants and I wanted to include at least one in my Gloomspite army - but I had to do something with it, both being a compulsive converter, and wanting it to fit into the Mushroom theme better.

It didn't take long before I began to get this idea of mushrooms infecting a living creature (a bit akin to that horrible fungus thing ants can contract), and an idea of the model began to form.

I took the most mindless head from the gargant kit, reposed the legs to make them look more zombie-stagger-like, and attached a bunch of mushrooms to his body and back (including the top of his head, them coming out of his brain - ew!)

Being completely Shroom-Zombified (totally a word), he needed a grot minder, giving him orders, and his own little lookout barrel. I'm really digging the vibe of this guy. :)

Gargant1.jpg

Gargant2.jpg

Also, 3 more trolls, with some minor conversions and swaps.

Trolls2.jpg
Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 18

Thanks a lot, guys! 😊

On 2/2/2019 at 3:48 AM, Brodylan said:

These look awesome, what is the actual recipe on the Squigs? The colour is great 

It's a few steps, but very simple in practice: 

Basecoat VA Falcon Turquoise

Wash Coelia Greenshade

Drybrush Falcon Turquoise

Drybrush Temple Guard Blue

Drybrush Baharroth Blue

Wash 50/50 medium/Coelia Greenshade

Highlight/glaze with VA Blue Green

Edge Higlight Baharroth Blue 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys - although it's been a busy weekend, I managed to get a few hours of hobby time this sunday evening, where I got to work on my (Privateer Press Hordes) Trollbloods Mountain King, that had been sitting in dishwash and water for some hours. 

I really like the idea of a giant troll being a hero in this army - but I just don't like the aesthetics of the Dankhold Troggoths, and the Forge World Troggoth Hag looks bad - in a bad way. I really don't like that miniature at all. However, the size and the concept (rules and abilities) were cool, so I decided to make something out of the Mountain King, which I've liked since I first saw it. Privateer Press are weird in that sometimes they make amazing miniatures, other times they look like... Well, poo. 

Anyway, this is a great miniature. The size, the pose, and the details. Great cast too. There are a ton of gaps to fill on the rocks on his back, but this is pretty easily done. 

The idea is that Murr-Loon, da mighty Shroomwizard, advisor of Arr-Durr, has somehow magically tamed this gargantuan troll, and rides the troll into combat (hence the magic abilities). The Troll throws rocks in every direction (6 vomit attacks, at 10") and hits very very hard (bulk and fist attacks). 

I won't be doing too much to this miniature, as I really like it as is. I need to figure out exactly how to make the shaman stand of the shoulder of the troll (I imagine him holding a chain, bolted to some of the rocks?), remove the last of the troll whelps emerging from the trolls skin, and figure out how to make some ears. 

First the photoshopped concept sketch: 

GiantTrollConcept.jpg

Here he is (excuse the lump of blu tac holding his head into place while the green stuff is drying): 

GiantTroll1.jpg

And here you can see a close up of the face; Trollbloods don't have noses, which make them look very distinctive; this I needed to remedy, so I used a spare nose from the Rockgut kit, and modelled it onto the face - still needs greenstuffing, which I've tried to emulate with Photoshop here - I'm still pondering what I'm gonna do about ears though - any ideas? (Rockguts and River Trolls are a bit too small for this)  - but his new nose makes him look much more like he belongs in the Warhammer universe: 

GiantTroll2.jpg

As always, comments and critique is much appreciated. :)

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 2

I'm really enjoying the looks of everything. I'm a huge fan of the gloomspite release and it's cool to see what direction everyone is taking with it. 

The Mountain King just looks fun, and would be something I'd love to see on the table. (Not on the topic of the mountain king but I can't wait to see the Knights)

Very cool! One thing I thought I saw but on second inspection didn’t. Which I would offer as a consideration. 

I thought the sickle of the shaman was attached to the crystal/rock next to him. Like he’s steadying himself like that. Might increase the interaction between those two models. 

But to be honest it already looks so dope! 

On 2/4/2019 at 12:58 AM, Rhivan said:

I'm really enjoying the looks of everything. I'm a huge fan of the gloomspite release and it's cool to see what direction everyone is taking with it. 

The Mountain King just looks fun, and would be something I'd love to see on the table. (Not on the topic of the mountain king but I can't wait to see the Knights)

Thanks a lot - yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing this whole army on the table as well - I think it'll look quite striking! 

On 2/4/2019 at 4:21 PM, Vastus said:

That is a sick conversion, I'm not really a fan of the Troggoth Hag model either, but this is a great alternative.

Thanks! :)

On 2/5/2019 at 8:48 AM, Kramer said:

Very cool! One thing I thought I saw but on second inspection didn’t. Which I would offer as a consideration. 

I thought the sickle of the shaman was attached to the crystal/rock next to him. Like he’s steadying himself like that. Might increase the interaction between those two models. 

But to be honest it already looks so dope! 

Thanks! Yep, I'd considered giving him some rope or chains to hang onto as well, but last night I actually got the idea to attach a small wizards tower to the rocky back of the troll, either carved from stone or built upon a ramshackle wood scaffolding. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 

This is MADNESS! No. This. Is...    

...Batch painting 30 Boingrot Bounders and Squig Hoppers!

There's no two ways around it. Painting battle line, especially lots of them, is boring to me. But I'm determined to actually get this army painted, so I've decided to batch paint every single squig in one round. This way I won't get tempted to "save one unit for later", since none of them will be finished if I don't paint them. Seeing as I've managed to get them ready for the two final highlights in two nights (about 6.5 hours = 13 minutes pr Squig so far), I'm keeping a pretty good pace. My plan is to get in at least an hour or two every night, and I'll hopefully have them done at the end of the month.

SquigWIP.jpg

• Like 7

Update on the painting progress;

Well, I just wasn’t satisfied with the look I was getting - they looked a bit too rough, and well, drybrushed, so I decided to man up, take my time and layer/highlight them all. It takes somewhat longer, but the result is much better, and hey, it’s only 30 models. I can do this. I’ve done about 12 now, but a nasty cold has kept me more or less in bed for the last two days. Hopefully progress soon. 

A pic of how they look, with layering; 

F1607AAB-77BA-4812-BB7C-09AD70CAC3FC.jpeg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible!! I was actually just looking around for an alternative to the Hag and I think you've inspired me (polite way of saying I'm stealing this idea!!!) 

Your army going to look incredible,  it's obvious already. Unique too with the colours you've done the squigs so far

Also there are some spare ears in the Dankhold Troggboss set which could work

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt

On 2/25/2019 at 9:21 AM, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Incredible!! I was actually just looking around for an alternative to the Hag and I think you've inspired me (polite way of saying I'm stealing this idea!!!) 

Your army going to look incredible,  it's obvious already. Unique too with the colours you've done the squigs so far

Also there are some spare ears in the Dankhold Troggboss set which could work

Thanks a lot! I'm glad that I can inspire you, although I don't think the mountain king thing is original by any means - I've seen at least 3-4 other people mention the same thing, but I haven't seen it done yet. 

And thanks for the kind words about the army - I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the battlefield, but it's quite a bit of work to highlight/blend every single squig - I've just gotten 4 more done tonight, so I'm up to 20 done squigs (only the blue colour, mind you - then it's on to teeth, goblin skin, robes and metals 😐 ), but I still think it's gonna be worth it. I'm trying to mentally compare it to a space marine army - 30 "grunts" are absolutely doable, even to a pretty high standard. And once the squigs are done, there's only the mangler boss, the giant, the mountain king and 6 trolls to go, then I'm up to 2000 points fully painted. 😎

Slowly but surely, I'm getting these little squiggies painted.

While it may not look like much, I can assure you, highlighting and blending 30 Squigs is. 😆

I've gotten the blue done on all 30, and as you can see, starting to paint the mouths on the first 10. I'm taking this 10 at a time, doing the gums and teeth, since I was starting to go bonkers painting 30 at a time. The blue may need some touch ups here and there, but for the most part the front row of squigs are done (the riders obviously need to be painted next). Thankfully the mouth and teeth are pretty easy and quick to paint, so I'm hopefully getting to the riders soon.

Still, even a picture such as this is unforgiving - I'm starting to notice all the little blotches, errors, bad blends, etc - I need to remind myself that these guys are meant for the gaming table.

SquigWIP3.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...